• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tuscahoma

Story: Monday 15 Jan 2018

Now to deal with Sirleck. I guess, after a week? There are still those lingering questions at the mall.

Tedd head-scratching is a small red flag. Or a side effect of first using the wand.

i guess that is it. The kitchen sink is unclogged.

Just now, Tuscahoma said:

Oh wait, one more thing.  Could this world-wide ranging spell, with it's accompanying special effects, be what tips Magic over the edge?

If not, I'll be very surprised. It's happening all over the world after all.

Also, holy crap! Pandora could temporarily take over every other Immortal on Earth!!!

8 minutes ago, Stature said:

Now to deal with Sirleck. I guess, after a week? There are still those lingering questions at the mall.

Tedd head-scratching is a small red flag. Or a side effect of first using the wand.

i guess that is it. The kitchen sink is unclogged.

Oh my gosh, was Tedd waiting to meet Pandora?  That would be... ouchy.  

On January 15, 2018, Pandora Raven said:

I've cast a spell no mortal could learn...

Are you certain about that?
Could Tedd, the Seer / Wizard / Wand Maker now have the ability to create Aberration "Curing" weapons?

Well, this will burn up a lot of the excess ambient magic around Moperville.  And probably anywhere else on Earth as well.  But will this clear up the blockage between worlds that started the build up?

I'm guessing most abberations are in the cities. O_o

Last panel makes me wonder if Tedd sensed something of that spell happening. Or if she's been overdoing it with adding spells to her wand. 

And yeah, this being a world-wide event, I'm guessing magic's gonna change. Then again, with what's going on in the mall, it might have anyway. D'oh!

Edit: Ooh... How many of those immortals are going to blame Raven/his relations for what Pandora just put them thriugh? :(

14 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

Edit: Ooh... How many of those immortals are going to blame Raven/his relations for what Pandora just put them thriugh? :(

What are they gonna do? They can't do jack against Raven or Voltaire would have done it himself instead of feeding misinformation to Sirleck.

I'm more wondering how Magus is going to react to Pandora sacrificing herself for her family. As far as he knows, she's just and still is a monster, and given their final interaction, that is not an unreasonable view. He has no way of knowing her trying to atone for what she did.

4 hours ago, Stature said:

Or maybe something else, like Tedd, a Seer who has an exceptional ability to learn and then modify spells and who lives pretty close to the mall, just learned Pandora's last spell! Care to guess who he's going to use it on first?

Wait, how is he going to cast the spell? Maybe with the wand Pandora gave to him that he's holding in his hand as he rubs his head?

Tedd might also have picked up how to connect with every Immortal on Earth, and maybe even how to locate aberrations, which is kind of implied as part of the "cure" in the spell.

6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2447

Wow, chain casting an aberration-curing wave spell.  I know someone called that, but I am still very surprised.  It does make sense, since Pandora was so concerned for her family's safety.  Here's hoping she still loves them after the Refresh.

I don't think anyone thought about this exactly. Yeah it was speculated that Pandora would use the energy from the other Immortals to get rid of all aberrations, but I certainly didn't expect her to hijack the connection send her energy as well as a large amount of ambient energy back and force all other Immortals to cast the same spell.

Considering there's a limited range to the spell and Zeus was in the mall. Sirleck being unaffected not only means he was just out of range, but that Helena and Demetrius are nowhere near him....So where the fruit are they?  Also, I guess this would solve the "has Sarah used her spell enough for Adrian to safely remove the dam?" question, since Pandora seems to have done the job there.

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

What are they gonna do? They can't do jack against Raven or Voltaire would have done it himself instead of feeding misinformation to Sirleck.

I'm more wondering how Magus is going to react to Pandora sacrificing herself for her family. As far as he knows, she's just and still is a monster, and given their final interaction, that is not an unreasonable view. He has no way of knowing her trying to atone for what she did.

Impose more restrictions on him? Make him move away from the family he just met? Demand the government do something about him (which, for all we know, Arthur might do anyway)? Send him to the other side of the world coin? Otherwise make his life miserable or arrange him to be put in jail? 

(Planting rumors and manipulation are old-hats for most immortals. Just look what Voltaire did to plant animosity between Raven and his mother simply by giving Dex a pendant with a Pithos on it and having Noah involved/find it! Raven blamed her for putting Noah in danger during that event, and didn't look anywhere else. What's to keep an immortal from taking his shape and bedding one or more of his students? Unless he keeps track of exactly where he is at all times and makes sure other people see him, he may not have an alibi in a case like that. His reputation would be trashed, and he'd be in jail and not able to do anything about it. The only way I can see him getting out of that situation is if someone has a tell-me-true spell like the Heralds or Valdemar! Somehow I doubt that would be admisable in a court of law, unless there's some very interesting court cases in the EGS world.)

Speaking of Magus and Pandora... Hey Magus? Mission accomplished! I don't think you were planning on this being the way to "end Pandora" but that's what happened. So... Congratulations, I guess?

I have to wonder if Voltaire was expecting something like this to happen when he set Sirleck on Adrian, or if this caught him by surprise? Hmmm....

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Or maybe something else, like Tedd, a Seer who has an exceptional ability to learn and then modify spells and who lives pretty close to the mall, just learned Pandora's last spell! Care to guess who he's going to use it on first?

Wait, how is he going to cast the spell? Maybe with the wand Pandora gave to him that he's holding in his hand as he rubs his head?

Tedd might also have picked up how to connect with every Immortal on Earth, and maybe even how to locate aberrations, which is kind of implied as part of the "cure" in the spell.

That would be awesome! Bonus points if he casts it on Sirleck while he Dad can see him doing so. How fast are you with your camera phone, Tedd? ;) 

If he has picked up on the immortal connection, I have to wonder if he'd be included in any conversations that Voltaire tries to have with everyone? Light side/Dark side to that. Hmm.... :( 

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah it was speculated that Pandora would use the energy from the other Immortals to get rid of all aberrations, but I certainly didn't expect her to hijack the connection send her energy as well as a large amount of ambient energy back and force all other Immortals to cast the same spell. *snip* Also, I guess this would solve the "has Sarah used her spell enough for Adrian to safely remove the dam?" question, since Pandora seems to have done the job there.

Yeah, but will Raven have the wit right now to take the dam down? Methinks he might be a tad preoccupied with the events of the last minute. If he's that on the ball, though - awesome! :) 

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Considering there's a limited range to the spell and Zeus was in the mall. Sirleck being unaffected not only means he was just out of range, but that Helena and Demetrius are nowhere near him....So where the fruit are they?  Also, I guess this would solve the "has Sarah used her spell enough for Adrian to safely remove the dam?" question, since Pandora seems to have done the job there.

I think Sirleck is unaffacted because he is in the spirit plane, rather than the physical plane. Dan did make sure to point out that all the Immortals were pulled into the physical plane before casting the spell, so that detail is probably important.

I think Dan's ability to surprise me is part of the reason I'm so fond of EGS. Still, not all surprises are good, and I think this was a poorly thought out action on Pandora's part which will have significant negative consequences.

First of all, the lights in the sky. It might not be enough to tip Magic over the edge; if not too many Immortals were caught on video, the governments of the world could probably pass it off as an unusually bright and far-reaching Aurora, or perhaps some other phenomena; the event was certainly strange but to a skeptic it wouldn't seem like it had to be magic. (This is assuming Arthur doesn't deliberately make the situation worse.) Still, even if it doesn't tip Magic over the edge, it will bring things that much closer to the edge, and they were pretty close already. If this doesn't do it, the next incident probably will.

Secondly, forcing all the other Immortals to do something against their will was a really bad move. Nobody is going to like that, and I expect that there will be a meeting of Immortals in the near future to try and figure out a different means of law enforcement, one that doesn't put every Immortal in the world at risk every time someone breaks Immortal law. Which probably is exactly what Voltaire wanted, or close enough to it it makes no difference. Of course, I doubt Voltaire will be satisfied with just changing the law enforcement methods, but this will give him the opportunity to try and convince the other Immortals of his own ideas.

Frankly I think Immortal law enforcement was always pretty flawed, and with this exploit exposed, it's not practical to leave things the way they are. Still, the methods Voltair used to get to this point were horrible, and I really hope he gets a good comeuppance at some point.

If this does trigger magic to go over the edge, I wonder how long it will take before it does so? From a meta perspective, our primary concern at this point is Magus, Sirleck, Ashley, and the Dunkels, and having magic change in the middle of that story would complicate things much more than necessary, so I wouldn't expect it to happen at least until that part of the story is over. In-story, perhaps Magic will wait to find out the human reaction before changing? It might take a few days or more for discussion of the event to convince enough people magic is real for Magic to decide it needed to change.

Darn it, sunburst background with sparkles in panel one, and pretty lights in panels two to six, and it's still not a good time for cheering...

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Could Tedd, the Seer / Wizard / Wand Maker now have the ability to create Aberration "Curing" weapons?

Possibly. But it's rather doubtful that he could make a spell, or wand, that would force all the fairies to enter the physical realm and cast an anti-aberration spell.

4 minutes ago, lonjil said:

I think Sirleck is unaffacted because he is in the spirit plane, rather than the physical plane. Dan did make sure to point out that all the Immortals were pulled into the physical plane before casting the spell, so that detail is probably important.

If Sirleck is in the spirit plane, Immortals aren't restricted to guiding and empowering; they can attack him freely and directly, as Helena, Demetrius, Pandora, and Voltaire all attacked Magus. But to possess someone, I think Sirleck must be partially on the mortal plane. This may be his biggest protection; Immortals may be reluctant or even restricted from attacking him directly at all when he's not possessing a host.

I think Dan will go with Sirleck just being out in the boonies and out of range of the nearest Immortal when the vampire apocalypse it.

BTW, remember someone saying they were going to make the world a better place? Isn't a world rid of most of its Aberrations better?

BTW, if my "out of range" assumption is correct, Helen and Demetrius can't be shadowing Elliot. So maybe the spirit plane get-out-of-hell-free card is playable by Sirleck. Much good it will do him not too much later, though, because he is visible when he's not using a host, and, therefore, probably fully on the mortal plane. And anyone who was lucky enough to learn Pandora's spell (Tedd can't be the only one) should be able to fry the body-thief.

Heck, even if it wasn’t, there’s no way they’re capable of all resetting each other at the same time.

Sure there could be. It wouldn't quite be "at the same time", persay, but it could be darn close to it. It'd just be like running a recursive script down the line!

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think Dan will go with Sirleck just being out in the boonies and out of range of the nearest Immortal when the vampire apocalypse it.

The angle at which he's glancing at the light makes me think there's an Immortal reasonably nearby, but that could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Sirleck is in the spirit plane, Immortals aren't restricted to guiding and empowering; they can attack him freely and directly, as Helena, Demetrius, Pandora, and Voltaire all attacked Magus. But to possess someone, I think Sirleck must be partially on the mortal plane. This may be his biggest protection; Immortals may be reluctant or even restricted from attacking him directly at all when he's not possessing a host.

I'm too lazy to look thru the archives, but I think it's been mentioned that Sirleck is fair game because he's on the spirit plane.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

BTW, if my "out of range" assumption is correct, Helen and Demetrius can't be shadowing Elliot. So maybe the spirit plane get-out-of-hell-free card is playable by Sirleck. Much good it will do him not too much later, though, because he is visible when he's not using a host, and, therefore, probably fully on the mortal plane. And anyone who was lucky enough to learn Pandora's spell (Tedd can't be the only one) should be able to fry the body-thief.

"a spell no mortal could learn"

36 minutes ago, lonjil said:

Which makes me think it's something that would cause burnout leading to death if a mortal tried to cast it. Not sure what would happen if it was cast via a wand instead. 

24 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

it's something that would cause burnout leading to death if a mortal tried to cast it. Not sure what would happen if it was cast via a wand instead. 

If this spell takes a LOT of energy, casting it through typical wands may not be any more useful now that with Tedd's watches.  The level of free ambient magic energy will now be significantly lower.

If only Tedd had some sort device on hand that could store up huge amounts of magical energy and let him use it when he needs it.

Also, I don't think the Eifel Tower was just a random stock sketch to show the global range of Pandora's attack.  A certain legendary monster hunter in Europe will notice these events and return to investigate what happened in Moperville.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Posted before I was finished writing

43 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If this spell takes a LOT of energy, casting it through typical wands may not be any more useful now that with Tedd's watches.  The level of free ambient magic energy will now be significantly lower.

If only Tedd had some sort device on hand that could store up huge amounts of magical energy and let him use it when he needs it.

Also, I don't think the Eifel Tower was just a random stock sketch to show the global range of Pandora's attack.  A certain legendary monster hunter in Europe will notice these events and return to investigate what happened in Moperville.

Alternatively, the Eiffel Tower is an example of a wand big enough to hold sufficient energy...

3 hours ago, lonjil said:

"a spell not mortal could learn with a range of a few miles". So how could Tedd learn that? Or, for that matter, Tedd's mom? Or Nanase, who is also quite likely to be inside that range of a few miles.

Well, Tedd is kind of different from most mortals, isn't he, even more different than his mom or his cousin Nanase or Susan. Noriko has that affinity for magic weapons, so she might be another distant descendant of Pandora like Susan. And Tedd is not just a Seer but a Seer so exceptional Heka knew about him.

In the case of Tedd, I think there's a chance he is an Immortal; he just doesn't know it yet.

But it's more likely that while Tedd can't learn the cover-the-Earth version of the spell (I'm tempted to call it the Sherwin-Williams spell but that's a trademark) he can learn enough about it's nature to make dandy Aberration-detecting and slaying wands. Kind of like a single Sidewinder heat-seeking missile compared to an Ohio-class submarine with a full load of Trident ICBMs: much more limited in range and effect, but more cost-effective and with much more manageable collateral effects.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I detect some irony here. Tedd, like Lord Tedd, has such a device. I'm wondering if Lord Tedd used his glove and the Sher--pardon--Cover the Earth version of a similar spell on  his own world. It does seem kind of post-apocalyptic, doesn't it? Does Lord Tedd live in a castle, a fortress, or a big fallout shelter?

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

First of all, the lights in the sky. It might not be enough to tip Magic over the edge

Or it might be too much. While he was comforting Tedd, Elliot told him "...we live in a world where even I have a video camera in my pocket. If Magic wants to keep playing, it's gonna have to compromise eventually."

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Secondly, forcing all the other Immortals to do something against their will was a really bad move.... (T)he methods Voltaire used to get to this point were horrible, and I really hope he gets a good comeuppance at some point.

I abridged your quote, although I encourage anyone who reads this first to click on the reference to read the whole thing. I think it's a really good analysis of Voltaire and the nature of politics among Immortals.

The point I'm making is that when the other Immortals find out Voltaire set up Pandora so she did this to all the Immortals (including Voltaire, unless he has a get-out-of-trouble card we don't know about yet), they are going to be angry with him. In fact, the jerk is likely to tell them, monologueing like a villain right out of The Incredibles about how perfectly his plan turned out. And then all the others are liable to agree on doing something special about Volty. And that might even be what Pandora planned for him.

14 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Wow, chain casting an aberration-curing wave spell.  I know someone called that, but I am still very surprised.  It does make sense, since Pandora was so concerned for her family's safety.

Noone called chain casting. I though about various reasons Sirleck might've been spared, but noone guessed that he survived because he was several miles from NEAREST immortal. Very good idea. Apparently, Pandora can't do world-wide spells, but this may be almost as effective, considering both immortals and aberrations are likely to concentrate in cities, where they can find more prey ... literal in case of aberrations, figurative (targets for pranks) for immortals.

Also, we have confirmed how many, seven immortals? And seems that IN ADDITION to Helena and Demetrius. ... ok, the number of immortals should be in hundreds at minimum, and if this would be deadtree comic or movie, we would see not only Paris, but AT LEAST New York, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Cairo and Tokyo.

14 hours ago, partner555 said:
14 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Oh wait, one more thing.  Could this world-wide ranging spell, with it's accompanying special effects, be what tips Magic over the edge?

If not, I'll be very surprised. It's happening all over the world after all.

I suppose THAT is the OTHER problem Pandora forgot about.

14 hours ago, Stature said:

Tedd head-scratching is a small red flag.

Can Tedd FEEL coming reset?

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I've cast a spell no mortal could learn...

Maybe. Technically. If he can get someone to cut down General Sherman and make a wand from it. Then thousand of magic users will need to store power in it for year.

11 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Given Pandora age and the fact that ALL immortals know that they should reset around two centuries? They would be surprised she's this sane and that Raven really exists and it's not just some hallucination she had.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Secondly, forcing all the other Immortals to do something against their will was a really bad move. Nobody is going to like that, and I expect that there will be a meeting of Immortals in the near future to try and figure out a different means of law enforcement, one that doesn't put every Immortal in the world at risk every time someone breaks Immortal law. Which probably is exactly what Voltaire wanted, or close enough to it it makes no difference. Of course, I doubt Voltaire will be satisfied with just changing the law enforcement methods, but this will give him the opportunity to try and convince the other Immortals of his own ideas.

Frankly I think Immortal law enforcement was always pretty flawed, and with this exploit exposed, it's not practical to leave things the way they are. Still, the methods Voltair used to get to this point were horrible, and I really hope he gets a good comeuppance at some point.

It is quite likely that only immortals as old as Pandora can do tricks like this. And even if not, other immortals may ASSUME it to be true. So, nothing needs to change except they will start being even more careful about immortals who didn't reset ... like, maybe, Voltaire?

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The point I'm making is that when the other Immortals find out Voltaire set up Pandora so she did this to all the Immortals (including Voltaire, unless he has a get-out-of-trouble card we don't know about yet), they are going to be angry with him. In fact, the jerk is likely to tell them, monologueing like a villain right out of The Incredibles about how perfectly his plan turned out. And then all the others are liable to agree on doing something special about Volty. And that might even be what Pandora planned for him.

Pandora might be clairvoyant but come on, at least one immortal should be able to get even BETTER idea ... and by better I mean more painful for Voltaire.

If this does trigger magic to go over the edge, I wonder how long it will take before it does so? From a meta perspective, our primary concern at this point is Magus, Sirleck, Ashley, and the Dunkels, and having magic change in the middle of that story would complicate things much more than necessary, so I wouldn't expect it to happen at least until that part of the story is over. In-story, perhaps Magic will wait to find out the human reaction before changing? It might take a few days or more for discussion of the event to convince enough people magic is real for Magic to decide it needed to change.

I would say that Magic will DEFINITELY wait for reaction. Also, magic reset is not immediate, last time it seem to take whole morning.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

BTW, remember someone saying they were going to make the world a better place? Isn't a world rid of most of its Aberrations better?

I'm pretty sure he IS supposed to be out of range. And it's possible that Helena and Demetrius ARE shadowing him, but not closely - perhaps because they suspect Magus could see them?

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Tedd is not just a Seer but a Seer so exceptional Heka knew about him.

Heka has knowledge as job description. He knows about all seers on Earth. There might be like few dozens of them so not so hard.

But it's more likely that while Tedd can't learn the cover-the-Earth version of the spell (I'm tempted to call it the Sherwin-Williams spell but that's a trademark) he can learn enough about it's nature to make dandy Aberration-detecting and slaying wands. Kind of like a single Sidewinder heat-seeking missile compared to an Ohio-class submarine with a full load of Trident ICBMs: much more limited in range and effect, but more cost-effective and with much more manageable collateral effects.

... there already ARE enough methods to kill aberrations. SUSAN has two. We don't need Tedd developing another.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I detect some irony here. Tedd, like Lord Tedd, has such a device. I'm wondering if Lord Tedd used his glove and the Sher--pardon--Cover the Earth version of a similar spell on  his own world. It does seem kind of post-apocalyptic, doesn't it? Does Lord Tedd live in a castle, a fortress, or a big fallout shelter?

OUR Tedd has glove too. But the thing which made Tedd Lord Tedd was magic reset and second purpose of seer, IMHO. Also, only difference between castle, fortress and fallout shelter is age of project, technically it's the same thing, only optimized for defense against different weapons. IMHO he lives in fallout shelter which deliberately look as castle from outside.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

First of all, the lights in the sky. It might not be enough to tip Magic over the edge

Or it might be too much. While he was comforting Tedd, Elliot told him "...we live in a world where even I have a video camera in my pocket. If Magic wants to keep playing, it's gonna have to compromise eventually."

The reset will STILL happen. Even if Magic would already compromise, this compromise will take shape of reset. The rules after the reset might make possible that knowledge about magic (but not how to do it) will be completely public.

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
15 hours ago, Stature said:

Can Tedd FEEL coming reset?

I suspect she's scratching her head and looking a bit out of it because she just saw an incredibly powerful spell. Even if it wasn't something she can reproduce, it was probably still impressive and overwhelming to her magic sight.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

.. there already ARE enough methods to kill aberrations. SUSAN has two. We don't need Tedd developing another.

Oh, come on. How many ways has Tedd come  up with to change sexes? And why wouldn't Tedd need a way to handle aberrations that could kill him or steal his body?  Plus, an abberration-killing wand would make just the perfect gift for Grace on her next birthday.

38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The reset will STILL happen. Even if Magic would already compromise, this compromise will take shape of reset. The rules after the reset might make possible that knowledge about magic (but not how to do it) will be completely public.

That would make for a very interesting world. Lot of work for Dan, though. It sounds something like the world at the end of Ken Akamatsu's Negima. But Akamatsu-san had a staff to help him. Like I said, a lot of work.

A change like that might go along with another time jump. I've never seen why Dan skipped from summer to just before Christmas; the only excuse I could see until now is that he wanted the breakup between Sarah and Elliot happen during the Holidays. But now I'm beginning to think Dan is getting tired of doing High School stories and wants to move on at least to college.