• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Wednesday January 17, 2018

"Your perspective... is needed."

Is that Tedd thinking? Or is that someone else's voice in his mind?

Remember who said that line about a disturbance in the Force? He's also the same one who said "Run, Luke! Run" in Luke Skywalker's mind right after the duel with Darth Vader.

Anyway, whoever's voice that was, it was really Dan's, and it makes me think magic is going to change.

---

And on a less Force-ful note, I think we really need a scene with the family that raised Susan now. Diane is obviously going home, and her family are going to ask her questions. I know Dan can be stingy with new characters and even with old ones (Sarah's invisible dad, Ashley's invisible mother, Nanase's barely visible father) but I hope he'll make an exception here for the story's sake.

59 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Your perspective... is needed."

Is that Tedd thinking? Or is that someone else's voice in his mind?

More likely someone else. I'm not sure if it's the whale thingies, or the Will of Magic itself, but it's definitely important.

So magic resets, and Tedd gets to help design the new rules for it. Disappointing yet awesome at the same time. I wonder what he'll insist on, and just how many other seers we'll meet (and what they'll be like).

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan DIDN'T prevented heart-warming reunion? What else Adrian wanted to do with Diane?

Diane's had quite a shock to her system here, she went to the mall thinking she was going to meet a half sister, but instead found out her dad had been her high school teacher for the past 4 years, and she also just watched her grandmother essentially get executed for protecting her son from aberrations. I not surprised that she needs time to sort things out.

As for what's happening to Tedd...I got nothing, I mean, it might the WoM wanting input on how magic should change or if it should change, in which case the WoM might not be quite a jerk after all. But I think Voltaire might have expected this to happen and that's why he was trying to taumatize Tedd so that when Tedd met with the WoM, she'd go apeshit.

If it's the Immortals, I would expect Tedd to have been transported to some location to meet them rather than be put to sleep.

I guess I was wrong that Tedd was clutching her head because she saw the spell. (I'm also amazed this was apparently the only place Tedd clutching her head was discussed.)

So is that the Will of Magic talking to Tedd? I didn't think it could talk on it's own. ...Maybe it's Disco Wizard speaking on Magic's behalf (Tedd is falling asleep, which is when Disco Wizard is able to play that role).

Obviously Diane has a lot on her mind and wasn't ready for a dramatic reunion with her biological father. I still wonder what was bothering her so much that she couldn't even take the time for an awkward discussion with Raven, though Scotty's interpretation (and particularly the fact that she just discovered she had a grandmother and then lost her within a few moments) seems likely.

(Special Effect Background alert: starburst background in panel eight. ...But it's still not a time for cheering.)

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2448

"Your perspective is needed"? ... damn. Seer's second purpose. (Also, really noone outside this forum commented about Tedd holding her head?)

Susan DIDN'T prevented heart-warming reunion? What else Adrian wanted to do with Diane?

I really think it is this, but apparently a lot of people think this.  Also that it's the Will of Magic asking for Tedd's perspective before it resets.  But, if Magic resets, and Voltaire anticipated being able to have Immortals and Magic listen to him, perhaps when Magic resets, Immortals reset their laws as well.  Perhaps there really is a Council of Immortals and Magic will be there as well.  Or not.

I am sure Adrian wanted a heart-warming reunion, and as it's been pointed out, Diane has had her world turned upside down and needs time to process.  Susan realizing this and stepping forward to give her that time almost feels like a sisterly protectiveness, despite the distance in how they are related.  Makes me wonder if their connection goes beyond their similarities of body, mind and birth time.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A world altering crisis has just occurred and Tedd's first reaction is to take a nap.

Tedd is my hero.

Tedd's my hero, too, but I doubt she's just taking a nap. Take another look at her pose in the last panel. Do you sleep with both hands covering your eyes?

Tedd is weeping. And I don't think just because magic is changing. He knows that Pandora is gone.

5 hours ago, partner555 said:

More likely someone else. I'm not sure if it's the whale thingies, or the Will of Magic itself, but it's definitely important.

Both possibilities, but more remote than Pandora, I think. I've forgotten who brought up the "memory dump" idea on a previous comic's commentary, but I thank whoever it was. I think that maybe Tedd was rubbing his head after waking up after a memory dump that happened before Pandora did her worldwide-vampire-vacuuming. Why holding his head? Remember the headache the whales-thingies gave him after less than a second?

Tedd might be just putting together the implications of that memory dump and the feeling of a disturbance in the force, and that could be the way he knows that Pandora, or at least the Pandora he finally met this morning, is gone now. Hence the weeping.

Seems Magic wants to consult at least one, if not more, Seers on what it should do.

Also on the last page, I thought Tedd looked like she had just awoken from a nap, though apparently she was struggling to stay awake instead.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So is that the Will of Magic talking to Tedd? I didn't think it could talk on it's own. ...Maybe it's Disco Wizard speaking on Magic's behalf (Tedd is falling asleep, which is when Disco Wizard is able to play that role).

The Will of Magic likely can commune with mortals if it wants to (it is a sapient, reality-bending entity/force after all), it just likely doesn't want to most of the time. Disco Wizard did mention that WoM's attempts to avert the reset felt half-hearted, like doing so out of some obligation instead of an actual desire to prevent it. But it needs a serious talk for Tedd's perspective. So an emissary might not be sufficient.

40 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd's my hero, too, but I doubt she's just taking a nap. Take another look at her pose in the last panel. Do you sleep with both hands covering your eyes?

Tedd is weeping. And I don't think just because magic is changing. He knows that Pandora is gone.

I'm not sure her hands are covering her eyes. To me, it looks like her hands would be under her head, which is a very common depiction of someone sleeping that doesn't have a pillow handy(Though with the angle, it's difficult to be certain), and the panels leading up to it don't look sad. They look drowsy and a little confused.

43 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I'm not sure her hands are covering her eyes. To me, it looks like her hands would be under her head, which is a very common depiction of someone sleeping that doesn't have a pillow handy(Though with the angle, it's difficult to be certain), and the panels leading up to it don't look sad. They look drowsy and a little confused.

I think you're right about lying on her hands because her chin looks like it's a little bit over her wrist. But it all depends on perspective, and as Dan said a long time ago, perspective is hard.

But while I'm not as sure about weeping, I'm not ready to rule it out, and it really doesn't affect my mind-dump assertion much. 

43 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Disco Wizard did mention that WoM's attempts to avert the reset felt half-hearted, like doing so out of some obligation instead of an actual desire to prevent it.

Where exactly did the Emissary of Magic mention that? It fits with Elliot's assertion that the WoM must choose between keeping the same strict rules which won't really keep humans from learning about magic again quickly, or modifying them--perhaps by biving all humans more natural resistance to magic, which is what Tedd hoped to do.

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for (at least if you're Voltaire...)

The moment we've all been waiting for is for Voltaire to get what he deserves. Maybe something like the WoM turning him into a mere mortal.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

The moment we've all been waiting for is for Voltaire to get what he deserves. Maybe something like the WoM turning him into a mere mortal.

...so you're saying resetting's too good for him?

46 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

The Will of Magic likely can commune with mortals if it wants to (it is a sapient, reality-bending entity/force after all), it just likely doesn't want to most of the time. Disco Wizard did mention that WoM's attempts to avert the reset felt half-hearted, like doing so out of some obligation instead of an actual desire to prevent it. But it needs a serious talk for Tedd's perspective. So an emissary might not be sufficient.

Is it sapient, though? I was under the impression it had awareness and a personality (and obviously a will), but that doesn't mean it thinks like a person, or in a way that would allow it to formulate words and sentences.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
52 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Disco Wizard did mention that WoM's attempts to avert the reset felt half-hearted, like doing so out of some obligation instead of an actual desire to prevent it.

Where exactly did the Emissary of Magic mention that? It fits with Elliot's assertion that the WoM must choose between keeping the same strict rules which won't really keep humans from learning about magic again quickly, or modifying them--perhaps by biving all humans more natural resistance to magic, which is what Tedd hoped to do.

This would seem to be what Drasvin was referring to. This would also seem to be relevant.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

He was mentioning it here before something Grace said distracted him.

1 minute ago, ChronosCat said:
1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Is it sapient, though? I was under the impression it had awareness and a personality (and obviously a will), but that doesn't mean it thinks like a person, or in a way that would allow it to formulate words and sentences.

I meant sapient in that it's capable of formulating decisions based on abstract concepts like drama and humor, instead of a basic logical process. Besides what would be the point of having an emissary if it can't communicate it's needs and wants to that emissary? It might not be 'words and sentences,' but the purpose of language is to convey meaning and concepts, and Magic is certainly capable of conveying it's meaning and concepts to Disco Wizard, at least as much as it cares to convey.

This was posted on the Discord server, thought I'd share here:

firefox_2018-01-17_09-21-23.png

So.....maybe not the WoM calling Tedd....So who else would do this? Is Voltaire going to enter Tedd's dreams like Pandora did with Grace? Voltaire seemed content that he had done enough and just had to sit back and wait for things to play out, so manipulating Tedd in her dreams doesn't seem like something he would have planned on doing...

Just now, Drasvin said:

He was mentioning it here before something Grace said distracted him.

Disco Wizard did realize the purpose of his contacting Grace later on. Maybe he always suspected it?

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

This was posted on the Discord server, thought I'd share here:

firefox_2018-01-17_09-21-23.png

So.....maybe not the WoM calling Tedd....So who else would do this? Is Voltaire going to enter Tedd's dreams like Pandora did with Grace? Voltaire seemed content that he had done enough and just had to sit back and wait for things to play out, so manipulating Tedd in her dreams doesn't seem like something he would have planned on doing...

I doubt it's Voltaire or any other Immortal. They wouldn't be able to force Tedd to sleep without breaking the laws, which would like be counter-productive to most plans. Dan's maniacal laugher might be related to twists and/or surprises of other kinds than the nature of whatever is contacting Tedd.  Or it might be the maniacal laughter of a complex plan coming to fruition.