• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Wednesday January 17, 2018

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think you're right about lying on her hands because her chin looks like it's a little bit over her wrist. But it all depends on perspective, and as Dan said a long time ago, perspective is hard.

But while I'm not as sure about weeping, I'm not ready to rule it out, and it really doesn't affect my mind-dump assertion much. 

Where exactly did the Emissary of Magic mention that? It fits with Elliot's assertion that the WoM must choose between keeping the same strict rules which won't really keep humans from learning about magic again quickly, or modifying them--perhaps by biving all humans more natural resistance to magic, which is what Tedd hoped to do.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1834 Disco Wizard said that here.

2 minutes ago, WR...S said:

I wonder if the point here is to make sure Tedd's a girl when magic resets, to light a fire under her.

... Tedd has how many methods to turn to boy? And while this is likely part of the magic reset process, I think she WILL be able to transform before the reset makes it impossible, unless she spends all that time "sleeping".

6 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Seems Magic wants to consult at least one, if not more, Seers on what it should do.

"All of them" seems more likely. However, Tedd, with what he already knows about magic, may easily take leading role.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A world altering crisis has just occurred and Tedd's first reaction is to take a nap.

Tedd is my hero.

Tedd's my hero, too, but I doubt she's just taking a nap.

She's not "taking a nap". She's being FORCED to sleep. Or coma.

BTW, comparing the previous page and this one, how exactly Tedd got from sitting to lying? Is the couch so slippery it was really natural to go down like this? I would expect she will be more likely to tilt to other side ... not that it would change much.

6 hours ago, Drasvin said:
10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So is that the Will of Magic talking to Tedd? I didn't think it could talk on it's own. ...Maybe it's Disco Wizard speaking on Magic's behalf (Tedd is falling asleep, which is when Disco Wizard is able to play that role).

The Will of Magic likely can commune with mortals if it wants to (it is a sapient, reality-bending entity/force after all), it just likely doesn't want to most of the time. Disco Wizard did mention that WoM's attempts to avert the reset felt half-hearted, like doing so out of some obligation instead of an actual desire to prevent it. But it needs a serious talk for Tedd's perspective. So an emissary might not be sufficient.

I think that normally, Will of Magic prefers communicating in way people won't remember it when awake. Disco Wizard didn't remember ANYTHING Will of Magic told him outside the dream. And it's possible that Tedd will now set rules for magic ... but won't remember anything of it.

8 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I really think it is this, but apparently a lot of people think this.  Also that it's the Will of Magic asking for Tedd's perspective before it resets.  But, if Magic resets, and Voltaire anticipated being able to have Immortals and Magic listen to him, perhaps when Magic resets, Immortals reset their laws as well.  Perhaps there really is a Council of Immortals and Magic will be there as well.  Or not.

I don't think Immortals MUST change laws when Magic resets. What Voltaire wanted was IMHO to change the rules of magic in way which forces immortals to do the council, BUT we don't know if he succeeded.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

As for what's happening to Tedd...I got nothing, I mean, it might the WoM wanting input on how magic should change or if it should change, in which case the WoM might not be quite a jerk after all.

If it would be possible to STOP reset like this someone would mention it. No, WoM wants to input on HOW should magic change and might still be jerk about that. (For start, it's good Tedd isn't DRIVING right now. Or piloting.)

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan DIDN'T prevented heart-warming reunion? What else Adrian wanted to do with Diane?

Diane's had quite a shock to her system here, she went to the mall thinking she was going to meet a half sister, but instead found out her dad had been her high school teacher for the past 4 years, and she also just watched her grandmother essentially get executed for protecting her son from aberrations. I not surprised that she needs time to sort things out.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Obviously Diane has a lot on her mind and wasn't ready for a dramatic reunion with her biological father. I still wonder what was bothering her so much that she couldn't even take the time for an awkward discussion with Raven, though Scotty's interpretation (and particularly the fact that she just discovered she had a grandmother and then lost her within a few moments) seems likely.

It surprises me a lot that Diane is affected so much that she can't even talk to Adrian and Susan seems mostly ok ... but it's true there is difference between father and grand-grand-grand-dad ...

... but it's true that the tone she's saying they shouldn't have dinner suggests she really can't talk with anyone now.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... but it's true that the tone she's saying they shouldn't have dinner suggests she really can't talk with anyone now.

Also, I don't think Diane has much of an appetite right now.

It now occurs to me that instead of heading home, Diane may go to the college. Why? Well, maybe to see Nanase, if she even knows Nanase went there. More likely to talk to either Charlotte or Rhea.

Charlotte seems the most likely because Diane made a deep connection with her on Saturday night, and Charlotte knows about magic. Rhea doesn't know about magic at this point (although it's possible she might have already asked Charlotte about those lights in the sky or even seen an Abberation getting a free cremation service.) Having Rhea overhear what Diane and Charlotte are talking about would be a way for Dan to bring in the issue of Diane's adoptive family without actually making character designs for her adoptive parent or parents.

Anything like that looks down the road a ways to me, though. Looks like the action at the mall has wound up unless Dan wants to (finally) bring in eyewitnesses who actually say more than "Eek! A Monster!". My bet is that we'll be going back to Magus' quest for a body all his own (or all her own--these things have been known to happen in EGS.)

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, maybe to see Nanase, if she even knows Nanase went there.

How could she? ... however, that doesn't completely exclude the possibility she will met her there.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Charlotte seems the most likely because Diane made a deep connection with her on Saturday night, and Charlotte knows about magic. Rhea doesn't know about magic at this point (although it's possible she might have already asked Charlotte about those lights in the sky or even seen an Abberation getting a free cremation service.) Having Rhea overhear what Diane and Charlotte are talking about would be a way for Dan to bring in the issue of Diane's adoptive family without actually making character designs for her adoptive parent or parents.

Even without Rhea knowing about magic, Diane may want to talk with her. Like, "I just found who's my biological dad".

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Anything like that looks down the road a ways to me, though. Looks like the action at the mall has wound up unless Dan wants to (finally) bring in eyewitnesses who actually say more than "Eek! A Monster!".

While Diane already left, Susan seems she would exchange at least few sentences with Adrian.

And, yes, eyewitnesses ... although it's not as important now considering how many people saw the immortals.

(It's good that Adrian and Susan don't plan to do anything suspicious anymore, because even if there were no witnesses until now, they would DEFINITELY be looking now after the light from Pandora.)

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

My bet is that we'll be going back to Magus' quest for a body all his own (or all her own--these things have been known to happen in EGS.)

... after page or two wrapping up the mall, yes, Magus quests will be logical choice. Although maybe not Magus directly - maybe we will see Nanase next.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Immortals MUST change laws when Magic resets. What Voltaire wanted was IMHO to change the rules of magic in way which forces immortals to do the council, BUT we don't know if he succeeded.

IMHO a change in how magic works for humans wouldn't be a big deal for fairies, and it would be tough for the change to result in something they'd care about enough to gather together for a council.

However, what Pandora did to all of them... and the consideration that she was subject to a forced reset for the sin of killing abberations, which the overwhelming majority of fairies hate and want to see destroyed... yeah, those things together might result in such a meeting.

9 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

IMHO a change in how magic works for humans wouldn't be a big deal for fairies, and it would be tough for the change to result in something they'd care about enough to gather together for a council.

They might lose the possibility to mark humans. That might be big deal for lot of them.

9 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

However, what Pandora did to all of them... and the consideration that she was subject to a forced reset for the sin of killing abberations, which the overwhelming majority of fairies hate and want to see destroyed... yeah, those things together might result in such a meeting.

Also possible.

There is, however, one possibility putting both together: maybe BECAUSE of the risk of magic reset requiring answer, there is mechanism to call all immortals after reset not usable otherwise. After called, they may talk about Pandora ...

(Little problem with this is that Pandora didn't talked about any meeting of immortals after the reset her previous incarnation remembered ... but maybe that wasn't noteworthy?)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... Tedd has how many methods to turn to boy?

If magic resets, potentially zero (depending on how Uryuom magic's effects change).

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

And while this is likely part of the magic reset process, I think she WILL be able to transform before the reset makes it impossible, unless she spends all that time "sleeping".

...exactly.

Possibly this nap time for Tedd has to do with that second, secret function Heka wanted him/her to be eligible for. If the Will of Magic can give a mission to an Emissary who doesn't remember anything about it when he wasn't in Grace's dreams, the Will of Magic can appoint a Seer--or maybe a board of Seers--to decide on how magic will change without them knowing they were going to do it or doing it after they do it. Or maybe just to recommend how to change it.

49 minutes ago, WR...S said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... Tedd has how many methods to turn to boy?

If magic resets, potentially zero (depending on how Uryuom magic's effects change).

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And while this is likely part of the magic reset process, I think she WILL be able to transform before the reset makes it impossible, unless she spends all that time "sleeping".

...exactly.

OK, you have point, if she spends all the time until reset sleeping AND how magic works on mortal changes so much TF gun stops working she would be forced to quickly find out how to transform within new rules ...

33 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Possibly this nap time for Tedd has to do with that second, secret function Heka wanted him/her to be eligible for.

... I'm pretty sure I already said it at least twice.

33 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If the Will of Magic can give a mission to an Emissary who doesn't remember anything about it when he wasn't in Grace's dreams, the Will of Magic can appoint a Seer--or maybe a board of Seers--to decide on how magic will change without them knowing they were going to do it or doing it after they do it. Or maybe just to recommend how to change it.

... also said, but in multiple pieces, so nice summary (assuming that by "or doing it after they do it" you mean "or remembering it after they do it").

57 minutes ago, WR...S said:

It's been said that Uryuoms would still be able to transform, so presumably how Uryuom magic works on Uryuoms won't change. It is possible that some of the details of how it works on humans might change, but I doubt it would be enough to prevent the TFG from being used to transform humans in more-or-less predictable ways.

So long as Mr. Verres or DGB doesn't decide to take the TFG away from Tedd, he should continue to have that one way of changing sexes.

39 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Possibly this nap time for Tedd has to do with that second, secret function Heka wanted him/her to be eligible for. If the Will of Magic can give a mission to an Emissary who doesn't remember anything about it when he wasn't in Grace's dreams, the Will of Magic can appoint a Seer--or maybe a board of Seers--to decide on how magic will change without them knowing they were going to do it or doing it after they do it. Or maybe just to recommend how to change it.

Hmm... If Tedd helps design the new magic system, then even if he doesn't remember it afterwards he'll still be able to figure it out faster than most. Which would tie in with how one of the purposes of Seers is to help smooth the transition to a new magic system.

22 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for (at least if you're Voltaire...)

22 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The moment we've all been waiting for is for Voltaire to get what he deserves. Maybe something like the WoM turning him into a mere mortal.

Mortal wombat or maybe a chipmunk.

22 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

...so you're saying resetting's too good for him?

Yes, Yes I am.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Yes, Yes I am.

I got this image of an Old West Immortal.

"Low down horse-thieving varmint.  Resettin's too good for ye...."

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Wombats and chipumunks are far too cute. Lets talk slug.

Hmmm ... with the additional frustration of not being able to move quickly ...

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... with the additional frustration of not being able to move quickly ...

Voltaire still might find work as a UC Santa Cruz mascot. It's a banana slug. They're all over Santa Cruz and vicinity.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Not an invasive species after all.

One thing we can be certain of.  Wherever Helena and Dimitrios (one day I will slip and call him "Doritos") are, they aren't anywhere near Elliot or Sirleck would have made an ash of himself.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:35 PM, Scotty said:

This was posted on the Discord server, thought I'd share here:

firefox_2018-01-17_09-21-23.png

So.....maybe not the WoM calling Tedd....So who else would do this? Is Voltaire going to enter Tedd's dreams like Pandora did with Grace? Voltaire seemed content that he had done enough and just had to sit back and wait for things to play out, so manipulating Tedd in her dreams doesn't seem like something he would have planned on doing...

Disco Wizard did realize the purpose of his contacting Grace later on. Maybe he always suspected it?

What is Discord, anyway? I thought it was a forum thing but Google shows it might be an app for gamers? O_o (ie, may I have a link to this egs forum type thing, please?)

Regarding Raven wanting to talk to Diane, the only thing I can think of if his asking if they can talk later and please don't tell others (ie, her classmates) about his heritage, let him know if she wants to be transfered out of him class. Alas, he's probably not thinking logically right now (more like emotionally), so it's just as well that Susan stopped him.

If this truly is magic getting Tedd's attention for changing the system, well, please bear in mind that magic doesn't have to change a lot in order to change. There can always be the caveat of "people who see magic working won't remember seeing it unless they're either awakened magic users or dreaming." The magic system changed to make it harder to remember seeing magic used. Have wave it away, and all that jazz. Magic users won't have to learn a new system, and magic won't be majorly exposed even if someone mimics what Pandora did with the blockage. :) 

1 hour ago, Kazzellin said:

What is Discord, anyway? I thought it was a forum thing but Google shows it might be an app for gamers? O_o (ie, may I have a link to this egs forum type thing, please?)

It is chat app. Didn't know it can be referenced like this so I would also like to know how ...

Regarding Raven wanting to talk to Diane, the only thing I can think of if his asking if they can talk later and please don't tell others (ie, her classmates) about his heritage, let him know if she wants to be transfered out of him class. Alas, he's probably not thinking logically right now (more like emotionally), so it's just as well that Susan stopped him.

(spoiler for next page:) yeah totally.

Not sure how this "transfered out of his class" could work, he might be only teacher of history in school ... of course she could transfer to other school. IMHO not worth it but it's true it should be Diane's decision.

And Diane should already know she shouldn't say her teacher is centuries old elf ... but it's true Adrian can't be sure about that.

If this truly is magic getting Tedd's attention for changing the system, well, please bear in mind that magic doesn't have to change a lot in order to change. There can always be the caveat of "people who see magic working won't remember seeing it unless they're either awakened magic users or dreaming." The magic system changed to make it harder to remember seeing magic used. Have wave it away, and all that jazz. Magic users won't have to learn a new system, and magic won't be majorly exposed even if someone mimics what Pandora did with the blockage. :) 

That sound well only in theory. In reality, modifying memory of all people this way would be extremely complicated - and would lower the chance of anyone BECOMING dreaming, so total failure on both objectives.

Like, it's easy to remove memories about seeing something in background, but what do you do with memory of someone attacking you with magic? Or healing you with magic? Or someone use magic to change public place, like cause some totally obviously unnatural vegetation to be there (not speaking about vegetation in middle of busy street not being that much natural to start with): are you going to not remember tripping on it repeatedly? What about the driver of car who hit a tree which wasn't there moment ago? He's ok, but the car is  scrap and what he is going to tell police? That he don't REMEMBER the collision?

And what you plan to do with photos? Make the devices "not remember" too? That's equivalent to halting problem in general case!

There is already something similar going on, given how those totally unbelievably methods Edward is using to explain magic incidents with sort of work ... but it's not strong enough to mask seeing griffin damaging building and CANT BE.

There's always the Magic As Techbane option, like in The Dresden Files.  Magic causes technology in its vicinity to be much more prone to fluke bugs and stray electrical surges and the like.  Cameras go all staticy or glitchy, making it very difficult to get any sort of hard evidence of magic.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

There's always the Magic As Techbane option, like in The Dresden Files.  Magic causes technology in its vicinity to be much more prone to fluke bugs and stray electrical surges and the like.  Cameras go all staticy or glitchy, making it very difficult to get any sort of hard evidence of magic.

Whoa. That's either going to make magic users very easy to track or walking electronic weapon. Or both.

What happens in Dresden File if someone cast magic inside London Stock Exchange? World crisis, billions of dollars lost?

Does it works on distance? Like, does the effect cause spy satellite to crash on Earth if it tries to make photo of something magic? Because otherwise, spy satellites can make VERY good photos. And likely use the same electronic to process them as they use for contact with base station. (Ok, they probably won't crash ... just get lost forever).

EDIT: Actually, Butcher never though about it, as how it's described, it should kill people with pace makers near any wizard.

Seriously. Only works in theory again. In any world similar to our modern world, effect like this would be catastrophic and EASY TO GET EVIDENCE OF, for the same reason people can see flood happened even if the water is already gone because there is mud everywhere and bridges are not where they were and not in one piece anymore.

Just now, hkmaly said:
Just now, Kazzellin said:

It is chat app. Didn't know it can be referenced like this so I would also like to know how ...

it's an app that pretty essentially combines IRC style text chat with a bunch of extra features, as well as voice chat.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Whoa. That's either going to make magic users very easy to track or walking electronic weapon. Or both.

Well, the main character, Harry Dresden, is a bit of an extreme case -- he has an unusually high level of power compared to the average wizard.  He's still very young by their standards, with not much skill developed yet, so he's not very efficient, although he's improved over the course of the series.  Harry lives in a basement apartment that he usually heats with a fireplace, lights with candles, and keeps food in a genuine icebox, because he's got so much of a "Murphyonic field" (as his friend Butters puts it) that he was blowing out light bulbs every week and his fridge would keep conking out, stuff like that.  Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.  When Harry is around, the odds of something going wrong with tech goes up exponentially, and the fancier the tech, the worse it tends to be.  People who know him will make sure their computers and cell phones are turned off when they see him coming, and he'll politely wait until they're done before closing the distance.

His apprentice, on the other hand, has a much lower power level, although she can do some pretty subtle stuff with it.  She moved back in with her family, and even though she'd become an active wizard, they weren't having trouble with their TV fritzing out or their A/C dying (they did say her dad does a lot of preventive maintenance), and she's even able to use a cell phone if she's careful not to get upset or use magic actively while it's on.

What happens in Dresden Files if someone casts magic inside London Stock Exchange? World crisis, billions of dollars lost?

Potentially, I suppose.  There have been several times Harry's avoided hospitals for fear of causing glitches in someone's life support system, and when he had to visit one they carefully plotted out a route that kept him far from the ER, ICU, etc.  When he appeared on a TV show, he used a spell to supress the effect, and when he got upset and it started to leak, cameras and lights started dying, sometimes in a puff of smoke or sparks.  However, it might well be that some other wizard could cast some small, subtle spells without causing anything more than glitches.

Does it works on distance? Like, does the effect cause spy satellite to crash on Earth if it tries to make photo of something magic? Because otherwise, spy satellites can make VERY good photos. And likely use the same electronic to process them as they use for contact with base station. (Ok, they probably won't crash ... just get lost forever).

I don't think they've ever discussed that.  Cameras nearby either fry or develop too much static or pixellation to get a decent image; one person was able to get a very grainy, staticky video of something magic using a telephoto lens.  Magic can reach as far as to a satellite, at least one case of someone casting a spell on one, but they're probably far enough away that their images would be okay.  Or not, depending on what's convenient to the plot.

I'd say that tech being inside a person would provide enough insulation, either physical or psychic, to prevent that.

Seriously. Only works in theory again. In any world similar to our modern world, effect like this would be catastrophic aned EASY TO GET EVIDENCE OF, for the same reason people can see flood happened even if the water is already gone because there is mud everywhere and bridges are not where they were and not in one piece anymore.

Most people in Harry's world are in denial, sometimes quite powerful denial.  Harry's the only one who's open about being a wizard, and nobody respectable takes him seriously, plus he's not interested in participating in tests and attempts to prove magic exists or doesn't exist.  The video I mentioned above was dismissed as a hoax, and one with cheap special effects to boot.  Wizards as powerful as Harry are rare, and most of them are much older and better-controlled, so it's not like there's a wizard on every block for people to notice.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, the main character, Harry Dresden, is a bit of an extreme case -- he has an unusually high level of power compared to the average wizard.

His apprentice, on the other hand, has a much lower power level, although she can do some pretty subtle stuff with it.  She moved back in with her family, and even though she'd become an active wizard, they weren't having trouble with their TV fritzing out or their A/C dying (they did say her dad does a lot of preventive maintenance), and she's even able to use a cell phone if she's careful not to get upset or use magic actively while it's on.

Wizards as powerful as Harry are rare, and most of them are much older and better-controlled, so it's not like there's a wizard on every block for people to notice.

Ok. If it's something most wizards don't have that big issues with when careful, AND they are careful, it may work without major crisis.

(Note that EVERY cell phone, even dumb one, is computer at least 10x more powerful than the Apollo 11 one.)

Most people in Harry's world are in denial, sometimes quite powerful denial.  Harry's the only one who's open about being a wizard, and nobody respectable takes him seriously, plus he's not interested in participating in tests and attempts to prove magic exists or doesn't exist.  The video I mentioned above was dismissed as a hoax, and one with cheap special effects to boot.  Wizards as powerful as Harry are rare, and most of them are much older and better-controlled, so it's not like there's a wizard on every block for people to notice.

... however, it can hardly work as reliable method to keep magic hidden. Seems like it only works because everyone is doing what they can to keep the secret, the denial and lot of luck. If some wizard would WANT to prove magic exists, easy. Obtaining proof able to convince reasonable people something weird is going on, easy.

And if wizards WANTS to cause lot of destruction and doesn't care about keeping secret, he will succeed both in lot of destruction and either directly proving magic exists or motivate lot of people to do research ending in proving it.