• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

NP Wednesday Jan 17, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=720

So last strip was the only reaction to Catalina's transformation before they continued playing? I'm disappointed. I guess Dan's picking up the pace a bit. I wouldn't mind, except (as I said recently) the reactions are my favorite part of this story.

I wonder if Susan has hooves in place of hands? With a normal pony that would run counter to the goal of allowing the players to be able to hold the cards and dice, but considering this is a MLP-style cartoon pony, that shouldn't be a problem. It's interesting the panel cuts off at her wrists, though; I bet Dan did that deliberately.

Yay for starburst background in panel two!

Dang, it really was looking like Susan would win this.

Catalina's up next, maybe she will steal one of Ashley's spaces if she rolls a 4 or 8? If not Susan would need to roll a 9 to steal that 2 space from Ashley, and the chances of Ashley landing on a 3 space again (closest one is owned by Rhoda) is not impossible, but low enough. Still if Susan isn't able to steal the only thing that would keep Ashley from winning is if she landed on a space she couldn't buy, and then Rhoda would be in position to win if she lands on a 2 space.

It's funny, Rhoda hasn't been transformed since the first round, and I think Susan's been transformed the most.

So Susan feels absurdly giddy? Definitely MLP. Also, will she be able to resist that and get angry on Hanma for including such effect, will she enjoy it or will she get angry later?

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

So last strip was the only reaction to Catalina's transformation before they continued playing? I'm disappointed. I guess Dan's picking up the pace a bit. I wouldn't mind, except (as I said recently) the reactions are my favorite part of this story.

I expect we will get more when she will be playing.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I wonder if Susan has hooves in place of hands? With a normal pony that would run counter to the goal of allowing the players to be able to hold the cards and dice, but considering this is a MLP-style cartoon pony, that shouldn't be a problem. It's interesting the panel cuts off at her wrists, though; I bet Dan did that deliberately.

There MAY be some compromise, although I'm not sure how it should look ... or, yes, hooves just on legs, it's not like she will actually need to walk on all four.

Personally I think that the player pieces should've been full animals.

(EDIT: As Emptu said on Patreon, Dan answered that she has just two hooves on subreddit.)

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Catalina's up next, maybe she will steal one of Ashley's spaces if she rolls a 4 or 8? If not Susan would need to roll a 9 to steal that 2 space from Ashley, and the chances of Ashley landing on a 3 space again (closest one is owned by Rhoda) is not impossible, but low enough. Still if Susan isn't able to steal the only thing that would keep Ashley from winning is if she landed on a space she couldn't buy, and then Rhoda would be in position to win if she lands on a 2 space.

We still don't know if the game ends immediately after winning or if they finish the round or something.

Also, so far they were generally able to buy the spaces, Ashley not being able to would be interesting change.

... wait. Dan directly said there will be third almost-full animal transformation. Someone will end up on 3 space soon.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's funny, Rhoda hasn't been transformed since the first round, and I think Susan's been transformed the most.

Funny indeed, although Ashley must be close second ... wait ... ok. Susan was transformed with 11 cards having 16 points, Catalina 4 cards 7 points, Ashley 4 cards (counting swap as 3 as it has 3 effects) 5 points, Rhoda just in first round but twice, 3 points.

Whoa. Not only Susan has been transformed most, she was transformed more than the rest combined in both card number and points. And poor Ashley is third.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(EDIT: As Emptu said on Patreon, Dan answered that she has just two hooves on subreddit.)

That's mildly disappointing. It would have been cute seeing her hold cards with hooves; also I always think it looks weird when an anthro equine has hoofed feet but human-like hands.

The problem is that for manipulating objects, ungulates get the short end of the stick - and most odd-toed ungulates (e.g. horses) can't even pick it up.

It's much easier if you have two or more digits on each front paw. A handful of odd-toed ungulates have three, but most only have one. Even-toed ungulates have at least two (except for cetaceans) and most non-ungulate mammals have four or five.

(Three or more manipulating organs also can work, and that's how a lot of insects and other exoskeletal critters make things happen.)

39 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

The problem is that for manipulating objects, ungulates get the short end of the stick - and most odd-toed ungulates (e.g. horses) can't even pick it up.

It's much easier if you have two or more digits on each front paw. A handful of odd-toed ungulates have three, but most only have one. Even-toed ungulates have at least two (except for cetaceans) and most non-ungulate mammals have four or five.

(Three or more manipulating organs also can work, and that's how a lot of insects and other exoskeletal critters make things happen.)

Well ... if she would be unicorn, she wouldn't NEED any manipulating organs for manipulating objects.

As earth pony, well ... there are hypothesis ...

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

So Susan feels absurdly giddy? Definitely MLP. Also, will she be able to resist that and get angry on Hanma for including such effect, will she enjoy it or will she get angry later?

Now I want this to feel like Ashley's "Calm" spell. Then again, we are talking about the Queen of Grump.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Can we stop horsing around and get back to the mane story?

I call foal. You need to be pied.

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

Honestly, without any mechanic to counter attacks, taking spaces from other player seems ridiculously easy in this game.

2 hours ago, detrius said:

Honestly, without any mechanic to counter attacks, taking spaces from other player seems ridiculously easy in this game.

There needs to be a transformation battle mechanic in this game...

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

There needs to be a transformation battle mechanic in this game...

Maybe a rock/paper/scissors style mechanic but with forms being stronger or weaker against other forms? So that in order to steal a space your form has to be considered stronger than the one who bought the space's current form.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Maybe a rock/paper/scissors style mechanic but with forms being stronger or weaker against other forms? So that in order to steal a space your form has to be considered stronger than the one who bought the space's current form.

A card could have a number on it for an inherent power or go by the number of effects a card has.

1 minute ago, Vorlonagent said:

A card could have a number on it for an inherent power or go by the number of effects a card has.

3 type cards are convenient for taking 3 spaces easy, but the forms might be considered weaker to someone who uses a 2 type + 1 type or 3 1 types to steal. It may also make people think more about what forms they want to turn others into if they rolled doubles.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

3 type cards are convenient for taking 3 spaces easy, but the forms might be considered weaker to someone who uses a 2 type + 1 type or 3 1 types to steal. It may also make people think more about what forms they want to turn others into if they rolled doubles.

The big thing is how to make the power of a given form or card easy to understand.  Printing a number on the card is an easy way to telling a player how "good" a form or multi-form card is (some forms might have a bonus in TF fights or get the ability to win what would otherwise be a tie)

7 hours ago, detrius said:

Remember that you must step on that space. It's about what kind of game it is - sure, it's game where one unlucky roll of dice can switch who is leading and who is last, but there are lot of games like that.

Also, this is not supposed to be seriously competitive game, it's supposed to be fun game, and most fun are the transformations. It's not important who will win. Much.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

3 type cards are supposed to have biggest disadvantages.