• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Friday January 19, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2449

What would Raven said? Well ... something awkward, probably. His centuries of life didn't prepared him for this any better than men as old as he looks are.

Traditionally, recommendation for such situation is no words, just hug, but that might be awkward as well given Diane's (and Susan's) age and fact they didn't knew they are related until moment ago ... and people looking at them might still not know.

And Adrian totally must be optimistic regarding there being only two possible cases.

... wait ... scene change? No witnesses shown? Was the mall really EMPTY? And no reaction to immortals lighting up either?

(Also, yes, totally second purpose of seer. I predicted it would be something related to reset even before, when it wasn't confirmed ... now it almost is.)

I had been thinking that part of the reason Susan's dad acted the way he did was because Adrian wasn't a father for him.

Now we know that Adrian really wasn't the father of Susan's dad.

Which means I need to find new people to blame for Mr Pompoms.

19 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I had been thinking that part of the reason Susan's dad acted the way he did was because Adrian wasn't a father for him.

It SOUNDED logical.

Hmmm ... actual twenties + the father looked no more than 40 + susan is 18 + Pandora was 156 when having Adrian = 244 top, and we KNOW Pandora's at least 499. Yeah, totally impossible.

Not really. His father not being Adrian Raven doesn't mean he was good father. In fact, you can still blame Adrian ... perhaps ALL fathers in that family line were bad fathers because their own father was bad father ... ok, that might be little too much to put all blame for that on Adrian.

Waiting is relative. Would it be when they are back in school, or much longer?

Good golly, I hope the missus is someone new. In convention, the blondes right now are few.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:22 PM, Stature said:

Now to deal with Sirleck. I guess, after a week? There are still those lingering questions at the mall.

Cookies can wait.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why? As CritterKeeper said, why not Mr Pompoms himself? He made the choice, not Adrian or any other ancestor.

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

If Adrian is correct about how he and Susan are related, then that is a great number of greats in that relationship.

True, but family stories are family stories.  One I have came from the 1830-1850 era, during the Choctaw Trail of Tears.  I have passed it down to my kids along with the much more recent ones.  Of course, that may just be me, and Susan's relation is even further removed  than mine.

Right now I am truly amazed at Susan's maturity and empathy in helping both Adrian and Diane.  Can you be proud of a fictional character?

I do wonder how much Susan will tell her mother about this (I suspect she has been keeping her in the dark about everything so far).

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... wait ... scene change? No witnesses shown? Was the mall really EMPTY? And no reaction to immortals lighting up either?

(Also, yes, totally second purpose of seer. I predicted it would be something related to reset even before, when it wasn't confirmed ... now it almost is.)

I think we are going to see the fallout of the immortals lighting up, and I think it is related to the second purpose of the seer.  I think Magic has decided enough is enough.  And you know what, I hope Magus and Sirleck are very strongly affected by whatever happens next.

1 minute ago, Tuscahoma said:

And you know what, I hope Magus and Sirleck are very strongly affected by whatever happens next.

Unfortunately, given current circumstances, if Magus and Sirleck are strongly affected, there's a risk of it negatively affecting Elliot and Ellen.

21 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Unfortunately, given current circumstances, if Magus and Sirleck are strongly affected, there's a risk of it negatively affecting Elliot and Ellen.

I wonder how it might affect the Dewitchery Diamond? Magus and Sirleck (and Ashley) haven't gotten to it yet...

4 hours ago, partner555 said:

Why Magus?

Well Magus is very sure of himself and his magical prowess in our universe, with Elliot and Ashley his hostages (essentially in Elliot's case), so if Magic changes, perhaps that will change, so that both Elliot and Ashley get free.  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

Well Magus is very sure of himself and his magical prowess in our universe, with Elliot and Ashley his hostages (essentially in Elliot's case), so if Magic changes, perhaps that will change, so that both Elliot and Ashley get free.  Just a thought.

There's no guarantee that Magus' magic will work any better after The Change than any other human mage on Moperverse Earth. And if the change changes the enchantment on the Dewitchery Diamond, Magus may not be able to separate from Elliot at all...at least in the Moperverse. Remember, Nioi used another Dewitchery Diamond to create Kaoli. Maybe the next arc will feature some crossworld travel. After all, Dan has been talking about other universes for fifteen-odd years now, so it's kind of overdo for the gang to pay at least one of them a visit that isn't a dream.

(Incidentally, Kaoli's name really should be Kaori; no "L" sounds in Japanese.)

A hint as to what's going to happen in the next strip in the commentary? That's unusual.

Also, I'm a little disappointed we're doing Tedd's dreamworld adventure next; I was hoping to get back to Magus and company.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

There's no guarantee that Magus' magic will work any better after The Change than any other human mage on Moperverse Earth.

From what we've seen, travelers between worlds remain able to use their own magic, and I believe it's been stated or at least hinted that some of those travelers (I'm thinking the Gryphons and Magus himself) were from worlds with different rules. (For that matter, the Magic change doesn't effect Uryoms; I'm getting the impression there is a different Will/Rules of magic for different groups, with the one currently about to change applying only to "Humans from this world.")

I fully expect that Magus' magic will not be changed by the Magic Change.

...On the other hand, the Dewitchery Diamond (as a creation of human magic) might just change, which would be a problem for Magus if it happens before he can use it.

8 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I do wonder how much Susan will tell her mother about this (I suspect she has been keeping her in the dark about everything so far).

She probably didn't mentioned anything about magic to her, but she can mention finding distant relatives without mentioning magic. If she doesn't say directly what the relationship is.

8 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think we are going to see the fallout of the immortals lighting up, and I think it is related to the second purpose of the seer.  I think Magic has decided enough is enough. 

I wanted to see reaction of someone ELSE than Will of magic.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

There's no guarantee that Magus' magic will work any better after The Change than any other human mage on Moperverse Earth.

From what we've seen, travelers between worlds remain able to use their own magic, and I believe it's been stated or at least hinted that some of those travelers (I'm thinking the Gryphons and Magus himself) were from worlds with different rules. (For that matter, the Magic change doesn't effect Uryoms; I'm getting the impression there is a different Will/Rules of magic for different groups, with the one currently about to change applying only to "Humans from this world.")

I fully expect that Magus' magic will not be changed by the Magic Change.

Agree. Will of magic is extremely territorial and will not directly affect Uryuoms, Griffins or Magus. There might be some indirect effect, like Ashley being able to resist next calming better, but probably not that much better.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

...On the other hand, the Dewitchery Diamond (as a creation of human magic) might just change, which would be a problem for Magus if it happens before he can use it.

True ; which is why I expect he will get to it before the reset. For Elliot's sake.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

(Incidentally, Kaoli's name really should be Kaori; no "L" sounds in Japanese.)

Not true. It's the R which Japanese lack. To be more exact, they don't have rhotic consonant sound and their "L" sounds closer to "R" than normal English "L".

2 minutes ago, partner555 said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1284

Damn, there goes any possibility of Noah even being a descendent. Unless Dan retcons it.

That Q&A is from seven years ago, and I think Dan has just established a splendid excuse for that retcon; there could easily be dozens of living descendents from that long-ago relationship besides Susan and her dad. However, Dan also established a way to spoil that excuse: Noah doesn't resemble Raven, whereas we now now that Diane, Susan, and Susan's dad all are close spitting images aside from small details like hair color and gender.

Anyway, leaving Noah the way he is could be better for the story. How is Noah going to feel when he learns that Diane is Raven's actual daughter, especially when Dan made a point of showing us how Noah actually feels about Raven? Diane, of course, should be going into similar turmoil learning about her biological father and deciding whether or not to tell her adoptive family--and how much to tell them.

------

Given that The Bane happened all over the planet, there's a chance that the incident at Moperville Mall won't get wide or deep coverage. So, even with the Magic Change provoked, Susan, Diane, and Raven might not have their cover blown. I kind of think this is what will happen since otherwise it's hard to see how our teenage protagonists could stay in high school for the rest of their final semesters. I still want to see if Susan goes to the prom, and with whom.

37 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That Q&A is from seven years ago, and I think Dan has just established a splendid excuse for that retcon; there could easily be dozens of living descendents from that long-ago relationship besides Susan and her dad. However, Dan also established a way to spoil that excuse: Noah doesn't resemble Raven, whereas we now now that Diane, Susan, and Susan's dad all are close spitting images aside from small details like hair color and gender.

Invalidating something from Q&A? That would be FIRST. And Dan doesn't like retcons in general.

Anyway, leaving Noah the way he is could be better for the story. How is Noah going to feel when he learns that Diane is Raven's actual daughter, especially when Dan made a point of showing us how Noah actually feels about Raven? Diane, of course, should be going into similar turmoil learning about her biological father and deciding whether or not to tell her adoptive family--and how much to tell them.

Also this. I suppose they will get along surprisingly well in end, because this is EGS, but it might get interesting for some time.

Given that The Bane happened all over the planet, there's a chance that the incident at Moperville Mall won't get wide or deep coverage. So, even with the Magic Change provoked, Susan, Diane, and Raven might not have their cover blown. I kind of think this is what will happen since otherwise it's hard to see how our teenage protagonists could stay in high school for the rest of their final semesters. I still want to see if Susan goes to the prom, and with whom.

Also, Raven might have trouble continuing teaching :)

It's also possible they will technically get their cover blown but with everything else happening people wouldn't pay attention to it that much. And Raven didn't looked like Raven when fighting, Diane didn't fought at all and Susan got just one hit which with some luck noone noticed.

... also, so far it seems that all those people with smartphones which were everywhere with Cheerleadra were conveniently missing this.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That Q&A is from seven years ago, and I think Dan has just established a splendid excuse for that retcon; there could easily be dozens of living descendents from that long-ago relationship besides Susan and her dad.

Assuming you mean the long-ago relationship between Raven and some woman who is Susan's ancestor... given that it was at least... um, someone did the math... a bit over 300 years ago. There would likely be over a thousand living descendants from that one relationship, assuming that quarter-or-less-fairies have ordinary human lifespans, physical robustness, resistance to disease, etc. (It would be mildly ironic and amusing if Susan, with her cleanliness OCD, were to learn that she's pretty much immune to contagious diseases.)

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Assuming you mean the long-ago relationship between Raven and some woman who is Susan's ancestor... given that it was at least... um, someone did the math... a bit over 300 years ago. There would likely be over a thousand living descendants from that one relationship, assuming that quarter-or-less-fairies have ordinary human lifespans, physical robustness, resistance to disease, etc. (It would be mildly ironic and amusing if Susan, with her cleanliness OCD, were to learn that she's pretty much immune to contagious diseases.)

I did similar one but let's repeat it: Pandora is at least 499 based on the fact she's using 299 as her age for centuries. She had Raven in 156, so Raven is at least 343. Assuming everyone had child in 20 (it would probably be less for first child) thats 17 generations, with everyone having two children that's 131072 descendants in current generation. Yeah I think that we can assume more than thousand. Note that IF their resistance to disease will be bigger (and their fertility normal), the number will likely be considerably bigger ...

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually, there's something to support this immunity in canon; look in the last panel.

... considering how unlikely is that she managed to never catch anything even with her cleanliness and avoiding other people, yes. (Flu has range about 6 feet, it doesn't require contact.) On the other hand, we don't know how long she works there ; maybe she was just lucky. Which may be consistent with fact that NOONE in EGS was SHOWN being ill ... obviously they could've been ill offpanel, but noone tried to ask Tedd if TF gun OR his watches can help with symptoms or anything like that. Except readers of course.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Which may be consistent with fact that NOONE in EGS was SHOWN being ill ...

Yes, indeed, but Susan is the only one who's ever stated that she's never been ill, at least since she started working for Tensaided. And she's been going to a public high school with an enrollment of thousands (over 3,000 in Dan's actual old high school). Pretty good arguments that Susan should have ridiculously high natural resistance to infectious diseases.

As for the probability that Susan shares the planet with lots and lots of similar descendants from the original birth that connects her with Mr. Raven, it could also explain why Susan remembers that the woman  she caught her father with looked like her. And that could help explain why Susan's magic potential is so strong.

I'm not sure Dan is going to ever let us see that woman again or even explain The Other Woman With Susan's Face.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

As for the probability that Susan shares the planet with lots and lots of similar descendants from the original birth that connects her with Mr. Raven, it could also explain why Susan remembers that the woman  she caught her father with looked like her.

That IS possible.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And that could help explain why Susan's magic potential is so strong.

.... ehmmm ... how? It's not like that woman is her mother. If she got half-sister from that affair, that half-sister might end up being strong ...

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And that could help explain why Susan's magic potential is so strong.

.... ehmmm ... how? It's not like that woman is her mother. If she got half-sister from that affair, that half-sister might end up being strong ...

You got me. Senior moment. Although if Susan's dad carried on with that woman, I suppose Susan might still have a powerful half sister somewhere. Certainly some half-siblings aren't out of the question, and since her dad seems to be completely out of the picture (although Zeus might know something about him), Susan not knowing about them wouldn't be a surprise.

And if Susan has two half-sisters, that's another way to fit the title, Sister 3. Well, maybe.

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

You got me. Senior moment.

On the other hand, while her mother doesn't look like her, she may STILL be ALSO related to Adrian Raven. In fact, maybe her father looked so similar to Adrian because both of his parents were related to Adrian and Susan's mother had another part of bloodline, so Susan connected three ... and her half-sister four. Would be reason why Susan is so similar to Diane and those other thousands of Adrian descendants (most of them) are not.

Although if Susan's dad carried on with that woman, I suppose Susan might still have a powerful half sister somewhere.

Or if she was already pregnant. That might not be their FIRST date.

Certainly some half-siblings aren't out of the question, and since her dad seems to be completely out of the picture (although Zeus might know something about him), Susan not knowing about them wouldn't be a surprise.

I wouldn't be surprised if her DAD doesn't know about them.

Wait. Speaking about Susan's relatives ... Cousins from which side?