• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Wednesday January 24, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2451

Ok people who thought DGB would go after Tedd if the system change. Guess that's not really necessary now since Arthur could handle learning a new system himself.

And Van eh? Mum's a monster hunter... Dan's tweeted that this comic would generate wild theories, I bet the big one is that Noriko is Van's mum making him and Tedd half siblings. Though what are the chances of Noriko giving birth to 2 seers and what did Van come up negative on the magic potential scans as well?

The fact that Van ran to Tedd kinda suggests that Tedd might look like his mom. On the other hand, Van's eyes don't look right, although they're so wide open it's hard to tell. And on the gripping hand, Tedd is female at the moment, and a kid of nine is liable to prefer a non-threatening young woman to a scary old man.

Additional Hand

My metaphorical Motie has a fourth hand, so it must be a Warrior. The fourth arm of Larry Niven's bred-for-war alien sub-race is tipped with a talon. And that is appropriate because Van said "She'll cut you up!" Remember the only time Noriko's attack has been shown? 

I've run out of hands for the moment unless I move on to the Hindu pantheon, but if Van is Tedd's little brother, Tedd is (at the moment) Van's big sister. Maybe Van will call Tedd Oneesan.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Another hand

Aaaand we know why the magic resets ends up badly. Because Arthur will have a word in how it should happen.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Ok people who thought DGB would go after Tedd if the system change. Guess that's not really necessary now since Arthur could handle learning a new system himself.

Question is: Did he found information about magic reset because he was researching his quirk? Did he expected he's the only one?

Another question: will he recognize Tedd?

And Van eh? Mum's a monster hunter... Dan's tweeted that this comic would generate wild theories, I bet the big one is that Noriko is Van's mum making him and Tedd half siblings.

Definitely. I mean, the theory will definitely be there. I'm totally seeing it likely.

Though what are the chances of Noriko giving birth to 2 seers

Let's see ... what is the chance that woman who TRIES to have children with as powerful wizards as possible while being a powerful wizard will have children which is a kind of wizard ... I would say quite big.

and what did Van come up negative on the magic potential scans as well?

He didn't. Possibly Noriko didn't took the magic analysis wand with her and tested him in less scary way, which made the results positive.

30 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The fact that Van ran to Tedd kinda suggests that Tedd might look like his mom. On the other hand, Van's eyes don't look right, although they're so wide open it's hard to tell. And on the gripping hand, Tedd is female at the moment, and a kid of nine is liable to prefer a non-threatening young woman to a scary old man.

Yeah ... I would say that he ran to Tedd because she looks more like his mom than Arthur. Which may not mean much. Especially if these three seers are everyone present. Not counting the disembodied voice of will of magic.

Seriously, Arthur, THIS is how you deal with kids? You don't have any, right?

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Let's see ... what is the chance that woman who TRIES to have children with as powerful wizards as possible while being a powerful wizard will have children which is a kind of wizard ... I would say quite big.

Heka said that Tedd had the "right mix of ancestors" if one powerful wizard mating with another powerful wizard produced seers, then there would potentially be more seers in the world and Noriko's ancestry would probably have more seers as well if they made a point to find strong wizards to ensure strong offspring. Edward's ancestry and Noriko's ancestry were compatible for creating a seer, if there's no guarantee that being a powerful wizard = seer material, again, what are the chances that Noriko happens to find another man with the right ancestry for creating a seer with her?

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Heka said that Tedd had the "right mix of ancestors" if one powerful wizard mating with another powerful wizard produced seers, then there would potentially be more seers in the world and Noriko's ancestry would probably have more seers as well if they made a point to find strong wizards to ensure strong offspring. Edward's ancestry and Noriko's ancestry were compatible for creating a seer, if there's no guarantee that being a powerful wizard = seer material, again, what are the chances that Noriko happens to find another man with the right ancestry for creating a seer with her?

1) I think there were more seers in Noriko's family.

2) Are we completely sure this child is not Edwards?

3) Of course it's not guarantee ... it's just that Noriko has much bigger chance of having another seer child than other random person. Well, she and Edward and Arthur Arthur's parents ... of course the fact she has two children and both are seers is still big luck. Not nearly as big as Susan and Diane being born 20 minutes apart and looking like twins, though ...

... wait. Noriko and Arthur Arthur ... no. That couldn't happened.

Wait, isn't Arthur skirting disqualification from the second rule on a technicality? He's had an interest in magic changing for a long time now, and would use it for his own ends - even if they're benign. I understand that it is technically not "premeditated" - his last scene, where he explicitly rules out "hoodwinking a god" , proves that. But what if it wasn't Arthur, but someone else with less benign goals and who also had no idea that they were a seer, thus rendering them eligible for the second rule by default? They could cause a lot of damage. Are we to accept that magic didn't think of that loophole?

15 minutes ago, CNash said:

Wait, isn't Arthur skirting disqualification from the second rule on a technicality? He's had an interest in magic changing for a long time now, and would use it for his own ends - even if they're benign. I understand that it is technically not "premeditated" - his last scene, where he explicitly rules out "hoodwinking a god" , proves that. But what if it wasn't Arthur, but someone else with less benign goals and who also had no idea that they were a seer, thus rendering them eligible for the second rule by default? They could cause a lot of damage. Are we to accept that magic didn't think of that loophole?

Why would magic care about any particular person's goals? Magic has its own goals, it just wants advice on how to achieve them. And the second rule would rule out anyone who knows about the second purpose, whether or not they know that they are themselves a seer.

The purpose of that rule is to get people who haven't been thinking about how to persuade magic to do something. Arthur had no idea that an opportunity for such persuasion would exist for anyone at all, not just that it would be given to him. As far as Arthur knew, magic was going to just decide all on its own what to change. Arthur is not going into this meeting with a pre-planned speech or set of debate points, so the rule has achieved its purpose.

27 minutes ago, Douglas said:

As far as Arthur knew, magic was going to just decide all on its own what to change.

Arthur may not have known he was a seer, or even if he did, he didn't know about his possible role now. But Voltaire almost certainly did. Looking at the way events have unfolded since the appearance of Pandora and Magus in the story, Arthur's power to influence things have increased while Edwards have diminished. Voltaire seemed quite satisfied at Tedd becoming demoralized and uncertain. Therefore, Tedd would be less likely to make an effective argument for how magic will change vs. Arthur.

This isn't vital to my argument, but take another look at when Magus tried and failed to stop Abraham from trying to kill Ellen. This happened just before Pandora woke up Nanase and provoked her into fighting Abraham and, eventually, her gaining her guardian spell. Now if Magus had succeeded, Nanase wouldn't have been injured, and Edward wouldn't have gotten angry enough to attack Abraham. Isn't it convenient for Voltaire's plans that Edward made that attack, which led to Arthur replacing him? Maybe Voltaire was reinforcing Abraham's resistance to Magus' power to influence.

Also unrelated to my "Voltaire set this up" theory but relevant to the outcome is Van. The kid is hugging Tedd in only four panels, a gesture that demands that Tedd defend him. Tedd is going to respond to that, and that response might also rouse his will to defend his own position on how magic should change.

I think either Voltaire didn't expect Van to show up, or discounted him as just a kid. What can a kid do?

That may have been Goliath's last thought about David.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

2) Are we completely sure this child is not Edwards?

The last meeting between Noriko and Edward was allegedly when Tedd was three years old, so if Van is younger than fourteen, then he would not be Edward's child.

An interesting detail: Van is in his pajamas. It is currently early evening in Moperville--6-8 PM Central Standard time. He apparently also has a British accent, so if he was currently in Britain it would be soon after midnight in his time zone, which implies that he was likely in bed already asleep when his mind/soul/whatever was summoned for this meeting.

Anyway, given that these three are part of the discussion, it seems pretty likely that they will want for the new magical system to have a lessened chance of allowing Aberrations and other Mages-turned-monsters to pop up easily.

11 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The last meeting between Noriko and Edward was allegedly when Tedd was three years old, so if Van is younger than fourteen, then he would not be Edward's child.

Dan has not revealed much of what Edward has done over his career, and it is not unheard of divorced couples to still produce a child. Don't count Ed out just yet.

11 minutes ago, ijuin said:

An interesting detail: Van is in his pajamas. It is currently early evening in Moperville--6-8 PM Central Standard time. He apparently also has a British accent, so if he was currently in Britain it would be soon after midnight in his time zone, which implies that he was likely in bed already asleep when his mind/soul/whatever was summoned for this meeting.

Actually British Time is nine hours later than Central Time, which Chicago and Moperville are in. So it would be somewhere between three and five in the morning in Britain. Of course, Van might not have actually come from Britain, but that's another matter.

7 minutes ago, partner555 said:

That was an unexpected character.

Not if you remember what Not-Tengu said about Noriko's children.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan has not revealed much of what Edward has done over his career, and it is not unheard of divorced couples to still produce a child. Don't count Ed out just yet.

Actually British Time is nine hours later than Central Time, which Chicago and Moperville are in. So it would be somewhere between three and five in the morning in Britain. Of course, Van might not have actually come from Britain, but that's another matter.

Central USA Time is GMT minus 7. (I am in Pacific Time, which is GMT minus 9)  Since it is January in the story, both Britain and Illinois will be on winter ("Standard") time. Anyway, the implication was that Van was asleep in bed at the time that Magic had summoned him to the meeting.

9 minutes ago, Stature said:

I also see the possibility of half-siblings and I wager two crumpets.

Van, huh? If his last name also contains "Van", we will be here for more huhs.

British, though? Like, how?!?

The "ren" in "children" is the kicker.

I would assume that Tedd thinks of Van as British because he is "speaking" with a British accent. That does not imply that Van's father is British, merely that Van was raised among Britons during the years when his speech habits would have been forming.

2 minutes ago, Stature said:

Van, huh? If his last name also contains "Van", we will be here for more huhs.

No, his last name is obviously "Helsing."

I'm kidding (maybe), but I actually know a guy whose given name is "Van". Some of you may be related to him. Lets just say that he was a sailor who docked in an awful lot of ports.

3 hours ago, K^2 said:

Whoever's running the pot for Van and Tedd being half-siblings, put me down for two cookies.

I'll take 10 $Q action on that.

Did not expect ANY of this.

5 minutes ago, ijuin said:
25 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Central USA Time is GMT minus 7.

You're right. I live in Pacific Time, so I'm used to working with GMT-8. Moperville would be at GMT-6. Or UTC-6, now. It was Zulu time back back when I was in the Navy. Had to work out the differences when I got messages as part of my watch; they were always Zulu time.

Greater Chicagoland is either six or five hours off of London, depending on Standard/Daylight Savings/British Summer Time/etc and how they line up. Trust me, I've listened to a lot of BBC World Service, and they give the time in London.

As for Tedd and Van being half-siblings, I'll wager a full bag of Matt's Cookies, chocolate chip of course.  They've always been my faves, and the company is only a mile or two away from me right now!

This isn't going to go smoothly is it?

And Tedd and Van being half-sibling would be the safe bet. On the other hand, if I bet against that and they turn out to not be siblings, then I would get all those cookies. Decisions decisions...

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Britain is UTC 0:00 and Central Time is UTC -6:00 so if it's 7pm in Moperville, it will be 1AM in Britain.

Just these three? Seriously? In the whole world? And two of them are American? And have only one degree of social separation? Good lord, the odds on that must be whatever is beyond astronomical.

That's actually the one thing keeping me from being sure that Van is Tedd's sibling (since the thought did of course immediately occur to me) - it would be so convenient as to be ridiculous. Now, if Friday zooms out to show dozens more seers milling about, then I retract all of this.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

This one is actually more informative, as it implies Tedd has at least one half-brother, in addition to any other half-siblings he may or may not have.

Also, something that should have occurred to me before today but somehow didn't: Tedd was female when magic decided to change. Does that mean her choice was made for her, or will she keep the spell Pandora gave her?