• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Monday October 17, 2016

3 minutes ago, Stature said:

Now, cue jokes about her with Writer's Block nearby (he is a rectangular box), and her with box/es nearby.

Hey, new crackpot theory: Pandora is Writer's Block, which means she's Detective Block, which means she's Abner the detective.

"She could be listening - It's a fine name" :)

If she would be listening, she would hear BOTH those sentences, but points for effort.

55 minutes ago, TehEpicDuckeh said:

Honestly I thought this would happen more or less.

I though "less". I mean, yes, any of the other names would be dangerous, it makes sense for her to use different name ... but using Box surprised me.

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The connection between Pandora and Adrian can still be made if Grace happens to ask Adrian whether he thinks an Immortal named Box could be trusted.

Not only that. Sarah is clever. ANYONE mentioning immortal named Pandora might prompt the "heeey, Pandora's box, isn't it suspicious?" reaction.

32 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Hey, if Sarah does her job well, she might be finished in time for her date with Sam next Saturday. Remember Sam?

Don't worry. She won't be finished. She will be still casting the spell periodically. That's how she finds out Sam is ... uhh ... wearing fake beard.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Hey, new crackpot theory: Pandora is Writer's Block, which means she's Detective Block, which means she's Abner the detective.

Must Not Push Button....

Oh, and thank you Box, you just cost me 10$Q. That's OK you still are my waifu.

So, Pandora cops out and gives an alias that will take Sarah and friends much longer to figure out.

I do like the expression the second panel--it shows her playful side. The three illustrations of her names do well at showing what she thinks of each name--Pandora is the trickster, Chaos the "beast", and Raven is herself as mate to Blaike and mother to Adrian.

Also, paranoia points in the last panel for Sarah being worried that the Immortal in question might be watching and get offended.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"She could be listening - It's a fine name" :)

It is a fine name.  I'd actually be very surprised if you couldn't turn up at least a couple world languages in which it's a perfectly ordinary name.  We're mostly biased by having seen it in print as an English word, which of course the characters haven't.  Just hearing it as a name, you'd most likely expect it to be spelled Bachs or Baux, which look quite plausible as family names even in some major European languages don't they?

4 hours ago, malloyd said:

It is a fine name.  I'd actually be very surprised if you couldn't turn up at least a couple world languages in which it's a perfectly ordinary name.  We're mostly biased by having seen it in print as an English word, which of course the characters haven't.  Just hearing it as a name, you'd most likely expect it to be spelled Bachs or Baux, which look quite plausible as family names even in some major European languages don't they?

Well, one Danish sports champion is named Tom Bogs, whose last name is pronounced exactly like that. He was a multiple European champion in... boxing.

I am not even kidding.

Well, Sarah already knows Pa-- I mean Box here has already more than a couple of centuries. Name standards were different back then, like... I don't know any English name that is legit but extremely outdated.

Edited by exterminator

1 hour ago, exterminator said:

Well, Sarah already knows Pa-- I mean Box here has already more than a couple of centuries. Name standards were different back then, like... I don't know any English name that is legit but extremely outdated.

How about hortatory names often given by the Puritans in Southeast England in the 16th Century, and to a degree in New England? You had names like Increase Mather, or other first names like Abstinence or Magnify, or if you want to get really fancy, Fear-the-Lord-lest-you-be-found-wanting-on-Judgment-Day.

Or hippie names. Rainbow, Flying Fish, River Phoenix...

(Some parents should be lined up against a wall and shot for the names they inflict on their children.)