• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Monday October 17, 2016

53 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Or hippie names. Rainbow, Flying Fish, River Phoenix...

And those are not even THAT old :)

53 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

(Some parents should be lined up against a wall and shot for the names they inflict on their children.)

That might not work in some cases.

51 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

How about hortatory names often given by the Puritans in Southeast England in the 16th Century, and to a degree in New England? You had names like Increase Mather, or other first names like Abstinence or Magnify, or if you want to get really fancy, Fear-the-Lord-lest-you-be-found-wanting-on-Judgment-Day.

(Some parents should be lined up against a wall and shot for the names they inflict on their children.)

Hey, Rainbow Sun Francks has seen some pretty good success after his humble beginnings as a VJ on Much Music, also his name is Plains Cree First Nations, nothing hippie about that.

14 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Absolutely irrelevant. The topic was English names and this gentleman's parents were not hippies.

Well you did throw Rainbow in the pile of hippie names. I just wanted to make it clear that names like that don't always have hippie origins. In fact, I'd say hippies stole the idea, and we should be glad that Kevin Costner didn't cause a resurgence. ;)

Edit: Upon looking at the cast of Dances with Wolves, I discovered that one of the actors is actually named Chases His Horse...I get how that name could have originated, but that had to have been hard for the guy growing up.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well you did throw Rainbow in the pile of hippie names. I just wanted to make it clear that names like that don't always have hippie origins. In fact, I'd say hippies stole the idea, and we should be glad that Kevin Costner didn't cause a resurgence. ;)

Entirely possible, but I would still say it isn't quite the same. When I said some parents should be lined up and shot for the names they inflicted on their children I was of course exaggerating, but it is still possible to give your child a name they will hate throughout their childhood and will make them an easy target for mobbing by other children. I seriously doubt Mr. Rainbow Sun would face the same sort of problem among other Plains Cree children than some hapless non-Cree kid named Rainbow would have to deal with in an ordinary English-speaking community.

(An example: Two Danish parents once wanted to name their child Arsehole. I really don't know what those two idiots were on. Thankfully, the municipal name registry put its foot down at that one.)

Because English has borrowed names from other languages to the point where their actual meanings are obscured (e.g. most "Christian" names derive from Hebrew, Greek, or Latin), we are slightly baffled when faced with a name whose meaning is right-in-one's-face. We are perfectly comfortable with the name "Theodore" (one of the more common names which would abbreviate to "Tedd"), yet we devote little thought to the fact that it means "Gift from God".

14 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Entirely possible, but I would still say it isn't quite the same. When I said some parents should be lined up and shot for the names they inflicted on their children I was of course exaggerating, but it is still possible to give your child a name they will hate throughout their childhood and will make them an easy target for mobbing by other children. I seriously doubt Mr. Rainbow Sun would face the same sort of problem among other Plains Cree children than some hapless non-Cree kid named Rainbow would have to deal with in an ordinary English-speaking community.

(An example: Two Danish parents once wanted to name their child Arsehole. I really don't know what those two idiots were on. Thankfully, the municipal name registry put its foot down at that one.)

I just want to say I totally agree, this was just one of those instances where I tried to lightly roast you for how you worded that post, I tried to make it clearer that it was a roast in my second response with the added Dances with Wolves reference.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

it is still possible to give your child a name they will hate throughout their childhood and will make them an easy target for mobbing by other children

Although the reverse is NOT true: there is no name safe enough to PREVENT your child being target for mobbing if unlucky or having other reasons to be targeted, like good marks or not wanting to play the social game.

Of course, making child target might be deliberate.

58 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Because English has borrowed names from other languages to the point where their actual meanings are obscured (e.g. most "Christian" names derive from Hebrew, Greek, or Latin), we are slightly baffled when faced with a name whose meaning is right-in-one's-face. We are perfectly comfortable with the name "Theodore" (one of the more common names which would abbreviate to "Tedd"), yet we devote little thought to the fact that it means "Gift from God".

Not only English: those Hebrew, Greek and Latin names were spread over whole Europe due to Christians.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I've always advised clients to give the fun names to their pets, and give their kids names that won't get them teased in school.  Pets don't mind if you name them "G'Kar," "Dulcinia," or "Orange."  This is especially good to get out of your system if you have a name that makes for amusing combinations.  The Brownes have both "Charlie" and "Buster."  A longtime favorite is "Dudley" Dingboom ("Mom, now that we're engaged, I think I need to tell you why I never told you Mike's last name....")

Of course, people aren't always good judges of what will get someone teased.  I had one client whose last name was Walker, who told me that they'd named their son Luke "because we figured no one would remember that cheesy sci-fi movie by the time he got to school!"

Earlier today I vaccinated a "Captain Jack" and had to keep reminding myself that he was supposed to be Sparrow and not Harkness....

When all is said and done, though, kids really do tend to get used to things and see them as normal pretty quickly.  They might laugh when told a kid's name is Moon Unit, but as long as the so-named kid doesn't let it become a big thing, it will just be a fact among many within a week or two.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Pets don't mind if you name them "G'Kar," "Dulcinia," or "Orange."

Please tell me there was a Londo to go with the G'Kar. ;)

13 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Then all is said and done, though, kids really do tend to get used to things and see them as normal pretty quickly.  They might laugh when told a kid's name is Moon Unit, but as long as the so-named kid doesn't let it become a big thing, it will just be a fact among many within a week or two.

Someone needs to tell the kid this.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Please tell me there was a Londo to go with the G'Kar. ;)

Name your pet G'Kar Name your kid Andreas Katsulas

Naming your kid Pandora Chaos Raven is like naming them ebony dark'ness dementia raven way (Harry Potter fanfiction character)

Naming your kid Box is like naming them Blanket (Michael Jackson's son)

2 minutes ago, WillikaKillika said:

Name your pet G'Kar Name your kid Andreas Katsulas

I just had one of those "was that who played..." moments and looked him up, I totally forgot that he played both G'Kar (B5) and Commander Tomalak (TNG), I also didn't know he passed away 10 years ago from lung cancer.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I just had one of those "was that who played..." moments and looked him up, I totally forgot that he played both G'Kar (B5) and Commander Tomalak (TNG), I also didn't know he passed away 10 years ago from lung cancer.

B5 has had a very sadly high death rate among its cast members.  We just lost the guy who played Garibaldi (temporarily blanking on his name) earlier this year.