• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Monday October 17, 2016

I have a fair number of friends who stash their cell, room key, money, etc there as the situation warrants, or even when they could have used a purse instead.  At least some of the blame falls on clothing manufacturers who insist on making clothing for women with no damn pockets.....although I suspect at least one friend of liking the Iron Man look she gets from storing a still-glowing cell phone.....

I also know of at least one case of a girl's phone getting ruined by moisture accumulation on a very hot day. :-/

Am I the only one that's looked at all these comments and still can't see what would be so bad about Cat Girl-ageddon?:eusa_pray:

Let me rephrase that... I still can't see what might be wrong with an awesome Cat Girl-ageddon!

Cat Girl-ageddon would be so awesome it negates any negative feelings.

Awesome Cat Girl-ageddon would be AWESOME!

Cat Girl-ageddon is best -ageddon!

Cat Girl-ageddon... Mmmm

1 hour ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Am I the only one that's looked at all these comments and still can't see what would be so bad about Cat Girl-ageddon?:eusa_pray:

Let me rephrase that... I still can't see what might be wrong with an awesome Cat Girl-ageddon!

Cat Girl-ageddon would be so awesome it negates any negative feelings.

Awesome Cat Girl-ageddon would be AWESOME!

Cat Girl-ageddon is best -ageddon!

Cat Girl-ageddon... Mmmm

Combine Cat Girl-ageddon with Mall Girl-ageddon.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Combine Cat Girl-ageddon with Mall Girl-ageddon.

This sounds like levels in a game, or stacking power-ups.

1.  Everyone is a catgirl.   (CatgirlAgeddon)

2.  Everyone is a pink-haired, busty catgirl.  (MallGirlageddon)

3.  Everyone is a tiny, pink-haired, busty catgirl.  (Shrinkageddon)

4.  Everyone is a flying, tiny, pink-haired, busty catgirl (Fairyageddon)

...and the ageddon's go on....

17 minutes ago, Circe said:

1. Catgirlageddon

2. MallCatGirlageddon

3. TinyMallCatGirlageddon (alternately MallKittenGirlageddon)

4. TinyFairydollCatMallGirlageddon...

Then a 

3 hours ago, Circe said:

Then a Wizard, who is a flying, tiny, pink-haired, busty catgirl copies Nanase's Guardian Form becomes a Guardian, touches the Dewitchery Diamond, and gains the ability to transform everyone into a flying, tiny, pink-haired, busty catgirl with two sets of (fairy and angel) wings.

Thus the world began to end.

And thus began the catmallgirlshrinkfairyguardianaggedonarmageddon.

2 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

And I think it's time to stack up on balls of yarn...

They will have to be itty bitty balls of yarn if everyone present is shrunk.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sigh. Sarah's spell is EXCEPTION. Rhoda's likely had enough energy to use her spell outside Moperville FROM START (in fact, Raven driving to the park suggests it's NOT in Moperville, is probably outside the area with higher ambient magic). Only concern is that without ambient magic, she MIGHT have stricter limits on how big or small can she makes something, so she might no longer be able to turn Catalina doll-sized. Seriously. Sarah is only one who is in risk of losing the ability to cast her spell completely.

I don't see that as Sarah being an exception, I think it does apply to everyone, Sarah's just the most likely because of the fact that her spell requires a lot of energy. We don't know how much energy Rhoda's spell requires, nor do we know how much she has and whether it's enough to cast the spell on her own without excess energy helping out. Same goes for Catalina and Dex and Luke and whoever else has been marked in the past 8 months or so and not yet been awaken, unless they had been doing things that helped build their magic such as ASMA training like Justin had, it's still possible that those marked could potential be unable to cast their spells again.

13 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't recall seeing anything in the actual canon that states that, or even implies it.  I always just figured there is quite a range of power needs and of innate magical capacity, and Sarah was near one extreme, while there would be other people in the same boat but not quite so far out to sea.  There may be any number of people who would need to exercise their magic a good deal before they'd be able to use their spell post-dambusting, let alone Awaken.

Pandora directly said "Awakening SHOULD take longer than getting enough power to cast that spell on your own ... doing things in order doesn't seem to be your thing". To me, that very strongly implies that Sarah is an exception and normal people will have enough power to cast their spell without help from ambient magic LONG before awakening, if they didn't have enough since marking.

Of course, yes, there is quite a range of power needs and of innate magical capacity. But the simplest and most common way to raise magical capacity is to cast the spell and all people we know of are doing it. Even if they didn't had power to cast it from start, it would be simpler for them to get it and therefore it's likely they already did.

And as I already mentioned, Rhoda's advantage is that energy requirement of her spell almost certainly depend on how much size change she causes. Therefore, she will not require so much energy if causing just minimal change. It's true that Dex's fairy spell will have relatively fixed cost.

The "I don't recall anything in canon" can also be used the other way: I don't recall anything about anyone else than Sarah losing the ability to cast their spell.

Also, Just because Adrian drove him and Grace to the park doesn't mean it's not in Moperville, Moperville isn't a small place and remember, there is a river with forests running through downtown Moperville, there can be any number of wooded parks there too. Heck, it's even stated that the boar encounter was at the Moperville Forest Preserve, which is very likely the same forest area where Elliot and Nanase met with Tara and Andrea.

The "Moperville isn't a small place" also raises question if WHOLE Moperville is area with high ambient magic. We know that just couple miles out of town is outside the field enough for Ellen to stop getting energy buildups.

30 minutes ago, WillikaKillika said:
4 hours ago, Circe said:

Then a Wizard, who is a flying, tiny, pink-haired, busty catgirl copies Nanase's Guardian Form becomes a Guardian, touches the Dewitchery Diamond, and gains the ability to transform everyone into a flying, tiny, pink-haired, busty catgirl with two sets of (fairy and angel) wings.

... you think dewitchery diamond will be able to separate multiple curses at once? Will we have just one flying tiny pink-haired busty catgirl with two sets of wings and ability to spread the "curse" or will we get one for every step?

5 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

And I think it's time to stack up on balls of yarn...

Some "people" have issues with that idea.  Others think it's wonderful.

autowb247.gif

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Pandora directly said "Awakening SHOULD take longer than getting enough power to cast that spell on your own ... doing things in order doesn't seem to be your thing". To me, that very strongly implies that Sarah is an exception and normal people will have enough power to cast their spell without help from ambient magic LONG before awakening, if they didn't have enough since marking.

The way I read that was normally for someone who's been marked, they should get enough power to cast the spell on their own before awakening. In Sarah's case the "not doing things in order" comment could mean that Sarah could awaken before she gets enough energy to cast the spell on her own. The "D rank talent with an S rank spell" supports that, S rank being a high tier, high energy cost spell. It's likely the only person in the Main Eight that could cast that spell on their own if they had it would be Nanase, Elliot and Ellen are probably close in energy level, but they don't have many spells at the moment, Nanase has a large arsenal of spells that for a while she was using pretty often trying to get new ones, so she would have exercised her magic the most.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
  14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't recall seeing anything in the actual canon that states that, or even implies it.  I always just figured there is quite a range of power needs and of innate magical capacity, and Sarah was near one extreme, while there would be other people in the same boat but not quite so far out to sea.  There may be any number of people who would need to exercise their magic a good deal before they'd be able to use their spell post-dambusting, let alone Awaken.

I'm mainly basing this on people with no experience with magic having very little energy to start with. That's why Pandora created the clog, so that the ambient energy build up would allow those she marked to use the spells easily and frequently. Sarah did have some experience prior to being marked so she probably did start with more energy than Catalina did, but then their spells require different levels of energy. But it still is very dependent on how much energy their spells need and if they have enough or, if not, if the ambient energy levels in Moperville is still enough to supplement the energy needed. Those variables are unknown, so there is a possibility that it can go either way for those that were marked.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The "Moperville isn't a small place" also raises question if WHOLE Moperville is area with high ambient magic. We know that just couple miles out of town is outside the field enough for Ellen to stop getting energy buildups.

A "couple miles out of town" for a town that might be several miles across. If Moperville truely is Dan's representation of Naperville Illinois, then Moperville would cover an area nearly 40 square miles and has 2400 acres of parkland, 1829 acres of that belonging to the Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve, there's also Knoch Knolls Park that has a Nature Center that could fit the bill at the location where the boar was. Heck, looking at this map, I could probably guess that the events of "So a Date" would have happened in the north part of Moperville, Downtown Naperville and Riverwalk Park would be an ideal setting because it has the Moser Tower (for Andrea's landmark and the location of the spider vampire fight), North Central College is nearby (Charlotte's apartment) there's the Riverbrook Shopping Center (The mall) northwest of Riverwalk Park that also happens to have a rail line (that delays Ellen, Nanase and Ashley from catching up to Diane and Charlotte) between them, and then Naperville North High School is also in the area, with Naperville Central Highschool  possibly being represented as Moperville South since there is no Naperville South High School and Naperville Central is also close enough to Riverwalk Park.

You also gotta consider what direction Ellen went to leave Moperville, they live in the north part of town, and go further north, of course it's likely they'll leave the limit of the magic buildup after a few miles, but if her and Nanase had to go south through Moperville to get to where the were-goat case was, that's several miles through town, then a couple miles out of town. So the ambient energy field can still be very large. Also, the were-goat case happened during the summer and it's likely that the energy field has grown more in the last 6 months.

On 18/10/2016 at 1:23 AM, ShinyAeon said:

GIRL, BUY A SCARF FOR YOUR EARS AND STUFF YOUR TAIL UP YOUR SWEATER!

When fictating becomes loud enough to startle your dog....^_^

Unfortunately (I am the High King of Skyrim), it is likely autumn. Shopkeep has a 1d6 chance of stocking scarves.

Disguise Chart:

1. Hats of Unusual Size

2. Overpriced OverEar Headphones of the Viking, Bluetooth

3. Scarves. Nifty!

4. Unfortunately you are nerds and this is a cosplay shop really. Cat ears... But also maid outfits!

5. Huh. You found the EGS NP vanishing magic shop. Goomanji II: Eclectic Boogie Time

6. This was a book shop and that's a cleaning cupboard that was a changing room before the book shop bought the premises.

The way I read that was normally for someone who's been marked, they should get enough power to cast the spell on their own before awakening. In Sarah's case the "not doing things in order" comment could mean that Sarah could awaken before she gets enough energy to cast the spell on her own. The "D rank talent with an S rank spell" supports that, S rank being a high tier, high energy cost spell.

Yes. Wasn't it what I was saying?

I'm not sure how many peoples are D rank talents, but most mark spells are definitely not S rank, so Sarah's case is exception ...

It's likely the only person in the Main Eight that could cast that spell on their own if they had it would be Nanase, Elliot and Ellen are probably close in energy level, but they don't have many spells at the moment, Nanase has a large arsenal of spells that for a while she was using pretty often trying to get new ones, so she would have exercised her magic the most.

Nanase certainly, Elliot and Ellen maybe, yes. Of course neither is wizard. I'm sure agent Wolf WOULD be able to cast it himself and teaching him how might be first thing Sarah will be forced to do after telling Edward ...

I'm mainly basing this on people with no experience with magic having very little energy to start with. That's why Pandora created the clog, so that the ambient energy build up would allow those she marked to use the spells easily and frequently. Sarah did have some experience prior to being marked so she probably did start with more energy than Catalina did, but then their spells require different levels of energy. But it still is very dependent on how much energy their spells need and if they have enough or, if not, if the ambient energy levels in Moperville is still enough to supplement the energy needed. Those variables are unknown, so there is a possibility that it can go either way for those that were marked.

Susan had zero experience and got very nice spell she was able to cast in France (so, definitely outside Moperville). Sure, it was her affinity, but still. The "easily and frequently" is more likely reason than "[cast the spell] at all".

I repeat: even if those marked wouldn't have enough magic to cast the spell without the clog from start, everyone we know of except Sarah and Tedd (who is special case) were marked months ago ; we can assume they discovered the spell and casted it often enough to get better in magic.

Hmmm ... although, yes. It's possible that Pandora marked some other "D rank talent" in the week before the tournament and it was some harder spell (although not as hard as Sarah's probably) and the person will now be at risk of losing the ability to cast it.

A "couple miles out of town" for a town that might be several miles across. If Moperville truely is Dan's representation of Naperville Illinois, then Moperville would cover an area nearly 40 square miles and has 2400 acres of parkland, 1829 acres of that belonging to the Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve, there's also Knoch Knolls Park that has a Nature Center that could fit the bill at the location where the boar was. Heck, looking at this map, I could probably guess that the events of "So a Date" would have happened in the north part of Moperville, Downtown Naperville and Riverwalk Park would be an ideal setting because it has the Moser Tower (for Andrea's landmark and the location of the spider vampire fight), North Central College is nearby (Charlotte's apartment) there's the Riverbrook Shopping Center (The mall) northwest of Riverwalk Park that also happens to have a rail line (that delays Ellen, Nanase and Ashley from catching up to Diane and Charlotte) between them, and then Naperville North High School is also in the area, with Naperville Central Highschool  possibly being represented as Moperville South since there is no Naperville South High School and Naperville Central is also close enough to Riverwalk Park.

Isn't using Naperville map cheating? :)

You also gotta consider what direction Ellen went to leave Moperville, they live in the north part of town, and go further north, of course it's likely they'll leave the limit of the magic buildup after a few miles, but if her and Nanase had to go south through Moperville to get to where the were-goat case was, that's several miles through town, then a couple miles out of town. So the ambient energy field can still be very large

... right. Another point is that the center of the field might NOT be in center of the city - it may actually be OUTSIDE the city. It's unlikely it's in Tedd's basement either.

Also, the were-goat case happened during the summer and it's likely that the energy field has grown more in the last 6 months.

Not so much. The field's volume likely grows linearly with time, meaning the diameter grows with cube root. Also, the bear happened ALSO 6 months ago before the timeskip.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Wasn't it what I was saying?

I'm not sure how many peoples are D rank talents, but most mark spells are definitely not S rank, so Sarah's case is exception ...

Hmm...reading back, I might have misunderstood your wording, I dunno. hehe I guess if that means we agree, I'll take it. :)

36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure agent Wolf WOULD be able to cast it himself and teaching him how might be first thing Sarah will be forced to do after telling Edward ...

That's assuming Cranium isn't the other person with Sarah's spell, though there might be a reason why they wouldn't have Wolf learn it, like there's a limit to how many spells wizards can have so DGB has each agent specialize with different spells, or maybe there are certain spells that can't be learned by wizards in the "just need to see it in action a few times" sense. There could be a number of factors that wizards need to consider when learning spells. Tedd wasn't entirely sure himself how it worked.

33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Isn't using Naperville map cheating? :)

....nnnnooooo? :demonicduck:

42 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... right. Another point is that the center of the field might NOT be in center of the city - it may actually be OUTSIDE the city. It's unlikely it's in Tedd's basement either.

Very true, we have no idea exactly where the nexus between halves is located. It would make sense if Dan had it within the vicinity of where all of this has been taking place, like in my comparison between Moperville and Naperville, the park and tower seems to be central to many of the events, and did Andrea choose the Tower strictly as a landmark, or was it because it was also near the clog? If the nexus is near the tower, then that'd mean the energy field would be centered toward the north side of Moperville, in which case, if Ellen were to have gone north, then it's possible she'd still have been within the field even outside of town, while going south might have caused her to leave the field before leaving town.

The location of the nexus is probably going to be revealed soon enough though, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Not so much. The field's volume likely grows linearly with time, meaning the diameter grows with cube root. Also, the bear happened ALSO 6 months ago before the timeskip.

I'm not sure if this is another case of me misunderstanding. but the boar incident happened the week of May 12th, Tedd's contact with the whale was June 30th, so that's a month and a half before the time skip as I see it. I'm thinking you might be referring to the scene of Tedd shoveling the driveway saying "Annny day now..." as being the timeskip itself, in which case the boar incident would have happened 7 and a half months prior to that and current time places the boar at 8 months ago now.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure agent Wolf WOULD be able to cast it himself and teaching him how might be first thing Sarah will be forced to do after telling Edward ...

That's assuming Cranium isn't the other person with Sarah's spell, though there might be a reason why they wouldn't have Wolf learn it, like there's a limit to how many spells wizards can have so DGB has each agent specialize with different spells, or maybe there are certain spells that can't be learned by wizards in the "just need to see it in action a few times" sense. There could be a number of factors that wizards need to consider when learning spells. Tedd wasn't entirely sure himself how it worked.

I still think that when Pandora said "person with same spell", she didn't meant it literally and it's just similar spell. And yes of course it was Cranium. Agent Wolf was doing most of that strong-arming, in that motel room they totally share just for budged reasons.

But yes: maybe S-ranked spells like this, or more specifically spells which not even immortals can observe properly, are hard to learn ...

The location of the nexus is probably going to be revealed soon enough though, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I was certain of it before Pandora said that someone else would be doing the unclogging and failed to mention any specific place Sarah should be casting her spell around. Now I'm less sure.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure if this is another case of me misunderstanding. but the boar incident happened the week of May 12th, Tedd's contact with the whale was June 30th, so that's a month and a half before the time skip as I see it. I'm thinking you might be referring to the scene of Tedd shoveling the driveway saying "Annny day now..." as being the timeskip itself, in which case the boar incident would have happened 7 and a half months prior to that and current time places the boar at 8 months ago now.

This is more case of me rounding a lot. Yes, boar incident happened the week of May 12th, while the "were-goat case" must have happened AFTER June 12th (because Mall Goblin was Ellen and Nanase's first case) but likely at summer, so on or near the same side of the six month long timeskip. My point was that while the ambient magic might've spread since then, it's not relevant to comparison between how big the area was on May 12th and how big it was in the were-goat case. Unless the were-goat case happened even later, meaning the magic field was actually SMALLER in time of boar incident and it's even more likely Rhoda cast her spell for first time without help.

(Or is the "misunderstanding" based on me forgetting punctuation between "6 months ago" and "before the timeskip"?)

Sarah doesn't need to be in the deepest part of the energy pool in order to drain it somewhat - she just needs to be in it deep enough to power her spell.

As she drains the pool, she probably will periodically have to move in order to stay in it - but she doesn't have to find the deepest part until it's almost completely drained. Of course, she may sort-of-coincidentally (translation: probably for plot convenience) be in the deepest part at any time before then.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

As she drains the pool, she probably will periodically have to move in order to stay in it

It would make sense. Except Pandora failed to tell her that.

Perhaps magic is more analogous to air, rather than water.  It spreads out to fill low-pressure areas very quickly, such that it would take a lot to make even a temporary gap, and such gaps fill in rapidly from the surroundings.  Sarah took a big chomp, and then was able to take another big chomp almost immediately.  The Guardian Twins and Not-Tengu had to fly around a pretty small area very quickly to deplete magic there long enough for Not-Tengu to "asphixiate" enough to pass out.  Maybe like the low pressure in the center of a tornado?

5 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Perhaps magic is more analogous to air, rather than water.  It spreads out to fill low-pressure areas very quickly, such that it would take a lot to make even a temporary gap, and such gaps fill in rapidly from the surroundings.  Sarah took a big chomp, and then was able to take another big chomp almost immediately.  The Guardian Twins and Not-Tengu had to fly around a pretty small area very quickly to deplete magic there long enough for Not-Tengu to "asphixiate" enough to pass out.  Maybe like the low pressure in the center of a tornado?

Magic has to be at least somewhat slow to fill in low-pressure zones or Ellen and Nanase's "fly all over the place and use up magic" tactic would not have worked against not-Tengue.

33 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Magic has to be at least somewhat slow to fill in low-pressure zones or Ellen and Nanase's "fly all over the place and use up magic" tactic would not have worked against not-Tengue.

Possibly, but that was a matter of minutes. Box suggested casting it at a rate of two or three times an hour. Possibly one hour is all that is needed for the pressure to reassert itself. *scratches head* Really, all I can think of is that Sarah probably heard the story of Not-Tengu and therefore can reason all this out on her own, or that Box believes either that it will not be a factor or that Sarah is smart enough to be able to work it out. Which last is not a completely bad assumption.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Possibly, but that was a matter of minutes. Box suggested casting it at a rate of two or three times an hour. Possibly one hour is all that is needed for the pressure to reassert itself. *scratches head* Really, all I can think of is that Sarah probably heard the story of Not-Tengu and therefore can reason all this out on her own, or that Box believes either that it will not be a factor or that Sarah is smart enough to be able to work it out. Which last is not a completely bad assumption.

I already suggested that the "chomp" Sarah takes likely take 15-20 minutes to refill. Which I would consider slower than both air and water.

The question is if the "chomp" will still refill itself around the end of week AND if moving elsewhere wouldn't make it refill faster ... and why Pandora didn't recommended which direction to move to.

... although ... Sarah can test by moving 10 meters in any direction and try ...

Another possibility is that Pandora doesn't really require to dry the area completely, that even at the point where it's safe to unclog the area will be spread enough to not matter where exactly Sarah is.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I already suggested that the "chomp" Sarah takes likely take 15-20 minutes to refill. Which I would consider slower than both air and water.

The question is if the "chomp" will still refill itself around the end of week AND if moving elsewhere wouldn't make it refill faster ... and why Pandora didn't recommended which direction to move to.

... although ... Sarah can test by moving 10 meters in any direction and try ...

It's actually a really interesting question. Does the magic flow act like treacle, oil, or the like? Or possibly it does spread like air would, only more like a gas introduced in an area with uniform air pressure and spreading solely by Brownian motion? Do physical obstacles matter, or how much? Does the shape of the terrain or gravity?

I guess only Dan knows, but there's a lot of possible variables. *scratches head*

22 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

It's actually a really interesting question. Does the magic flow act like treacle, oil, or the like? Or possibly it does spread like air would, only more like a gas introduced in an area with uniform air pressure and spreading solely by Brownian motion? Do physical obstacles matter, or how much? Does the shape of the terrain or gravity?

I guess only Dan knows, but there's a lot of possible variables. *scratches head*

I hope someone will remember this when Dan starts collecting questions for next Q&A.