• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

NP: Wednesday 31 2018

18 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Are we certain that none of these transformations can affect any world outside this particular game?

Susan as a maniacal and magical overlord may not be quite as appealing a situation as I first thought.

Honey badgers don't want to rule. Honey badgers don't give a flip about anyone else.  They don't even care if you get in their way -- you'll get hurt if you don't get out of their way, but they won't care.

This could be what allows Susan to win the game.

Ashley used all her cards so she wouldn't be able to buy any spaces on her turn, Rhoda needs 2 to win, but might only land on a 1 space on her turn or be unable to buy a 2 or 3 space for whatever reason (all her cards are the same type or something) and Catalina needs 4 points and so isn't going to win on her next turn.

Energized Magician Honey Badger might prove to be a mistake on Ashley's part for more than just giving Susan an extreme personality shift.

58 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Are we certain that none of these transformations can affect any world outside this particular game?

Susan as a maniacal and magical overlord may not be quite as appealing a situation as I first thought.

Oh, it would appear that you got your wish for the Zatanna costume.

Yay for twisted double-starburst background in panel two! (Seriously, that looks really cool.)

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well, the non-canon worlds have a tendancy to affect each other in strange and unpredictable ways (such as how in "Oblivious Wand Waving" Tedd vaguely remembered the shopkeeper from the first Goonmanji). However the canon worlds ought to be safe.

As for our world, well I don't think her magic can reach us, but every observation has an affect on the observer, and we are seeing this...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ashley used all her cards so she wouldn't be able to buy any spaces on her turn, Rhoda needs 2 to win, but might only land on a 1 space on her turn or be unable to buy a 2 or 3 space for whatever reason (all her cards are the same type or something) and Catalina needs 4 points and so isn't going to win on her next turn.

Energized Magician Honey Badger might prove to be a mistake on Ashley's part for more than just giving Susan an extreme personality shift.

Well, Ashley still has three cards. But depending on what cards she has she might not be able to buy a two or three space (specifically, if she doesn't have a three-type card and there isn't enough variety of types in her hand).

35 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

It seems like Susan's gone full villain mode with evil laugh and everything.

She looks like an old-fashioned mustache-twirling cartoon villain, minus the mustache. I'm guessing "Energized" isn't the only card affecting her that has mental effects...

I'm really looking forward to learning how these cards work, both in terms of how they affect the player and in terms of game mechanics. (Not only am I curious for the sake of learning more about the cards, but I want to know if there was any strategy to Ashley's choice, or if she just did it because it sounded like fun.)

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Well, Ashley still has three cards. But depending on what cards she has she might not be able to buy a two or three space (specifically, if she doesn't have a three-type card and there isn't enough variety of types in her hand).

Nope, she used her cards to transform Susan, and can't draw replacements until the end of her turn, Dan confirms this on Reddit:

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Nope, she used her cards to transform Susan, and can't draw replacements until the end of her turn, Dan confirms this on Reddit:

Huh, well that answers my question about if there was any strategy involved. I guess she must not have discarded the cards she just used yet; given the amount of time implied to have passed I suppose that's realistic, but it is a little confusing as a reader. Maybe in addition to showing a map of the board, Dan should have provided us with a running count of how many cards each player has...

3 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Huh, well that answers my question about if there was any strategy involved. I guess she must not have discarded the cards she just used yet; given the amount of time implied to have passed I suppose that's realistic, but it is a little confusing as a reader. Maybe in addition to showing a map of the board, Dan should have provided us with a running count of how many cards each player has...

Best guess is that the first panel of today's strip is immediately after the third panel of Monday's strip.

Players only have 3 cards, unless they have a form that gives extra but so far we've only seen 2 that do so and Rhoda's got both, Busty gives +1 card to herself and golden cheerleader gives +1 card to another player at random. So probably at best a player could have 5 cards in their hand. I think the only way they'd end up with more is if then held off on buying spaces and the golden cheerleader chooses them to drawn another card, otherwise the only time they'd draw more cards is if then go below 3 in their hand, so it shouldn't be too difficult to keep track of.

Rhoda usually has four cards thanks to Busty, and Catalina and Ashley have both wound up with four cards thanks to Golden Cheerleader, and if those cards can lead to getting more cards there are probably others in the deck that can lead to extra cards as well. So without actually keeping tabs on when the players get and use cards, there's no way to know for sure how many they have (unless you actually see them in the player's hand and the player hasn't just played any cards). It's true that it shouldn't be too hard to follow if you're paying attention (even if Dan doesn't always show the players getting their extra cards) but it hadn't occurred to me that the number of cards the players have would be this important, so I wasn't bothering to keep track.

On 01/31/2018 at 7:40 AM, Scotty said:

Maybe the shift is not so extreme. Maybe Susan is laughing BECAUSE she realized how big strategic mistake Ashley made.

On 01/31/2018 at 6:12 PM, ChronosCat said:

but I want to know if there was any strategy to Ashley's choice, or if she just did it because it sounded like fun

I think it was Ditzy doing the "strategy".

49 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe the shift is not so extreme. Maybe Susan is laughing BECAUSE she realized how big strategic mistake Ashley made.

Well there's this reddit post from Dan:

Don't know what kind of mechanic magician would have to allow that, but maybe that combined with Honey Badger and Energized might make it even more powerful.