• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Monday February 5, 2018

38 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

So you were the one Khan and his cronies were running from in the sleeper ship Botany Bay?

Well duh. I had a Patrick Stewart and I wasn't afraid of using him. If they had lingered even one more minute he would have hit them with another Picard Speech and they weren't about to risk that.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So you were the one Khan and his cronies were running from in the sleeper ship Botany Bay?

ARE running. Pay attention to current time.

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Flying. Spaceships don't run on little legs. Pay attention to physics.

Neither do programs. English is my second language, but I'm pretty certain "running" has less literal sense. In fact, several of them. Your nose doesn't need legs to be running either.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Oops. Tenses sometimes get a little confusing when you travel through time as much as I do. Though I'm a little surprised I didn't say "will" run from, considering how much time I've been spending recently in the '70s watching Godzilla drive off alien invaders.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Neither do programs. English is my second language, but I'm pretty certain "running" has less literal sense. In fact, several of them. Your nose doesn't need legs to be running either.

English is also my second language. The two are not quite the same case. It is possible to run a spaceship, which means managing it and its crew and supplies, but you can do that even when it is standing still on the ground. On the other hand, when you fly a spaceship, it is moving.

Also, if you get to be anal-retentive, I get to be anal-retentive, too.

31 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

English is also my second language. The two are not quite the same case. It is possible to run a spaceship, which means managing it and its crew and supplies, but you can do that even when it is standing still on the ground. On the other hand, when you fly a spaceship, it is moving.

But you can also be running from something - or someone - while not physically running. In fact, in many cases it's better as physically running attracts attention. So, you may be walking to airport, waiting for the airplane, then again walking aboard the airplane and finally fly with it, and you are on run whole time.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

But you can also be running from something - or someone - while not physically running. In fact, in many cases it's better as physically running attracts attention. So, you may be walking to airport, waiting for the airplane, then again walking aboard the airplane and finally fly with it, and you are on run whole time.

It gets complicated. There is a difference between being on the run and merely running. Technically, if they were running from me in a spaceship, it could also mean that I was in the spaceship with them and that we were all running around in circles inside it like some sort of Looney Tune cartoon. On the other hand, if they are flying from me in a spaceship, that more or less means that I have to be outside the spaceship for the sentence construction to work.

Eh well, we can nitpick this in endless circles. If we go on for much longer I'll have to go dig out my old notes on semantics, sentence trees and logic in language. And no-one wants that, especially not me.

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It gets complicated. There is a difference between being on the run and merely running. Technically, if they were running from me in a spaceship, it could also mean that I was in the spaceship with them and that we were all running around in circles inside it like some sort of Looney Tune cartoon. On the other hand, if they are flying from me in a spaceship, that more or less means that I have to be outside the spaceship for the sentence construction to work.

Eh well, we can nitpick this in endless circles. If we go on for much longer I'll have to go dig out my old notes on semantics, sentence trees and logic in language. And no-one wants that, especially not me.

Cue Yakety Sax music.