• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Les XXIIIes Jeux olympiques d'hiver

Watched the opening ceremony.  Am I the only one who saw the first bit, where the lightning hits the bell in the center, saw it take on a bluish color with a couple of rows of lights at the top....and thought it looked like the TARDIS?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Does Gallifrey even have a delegation to the International Olympic Committee?

Would the second heart be considered a competitive advantage?

And how do you incorporate time-travel into sport without undermining competition?

Well, there's events like the 2015 to 1993 speed bobsleighing and the no-holds-barred Build A Snowman Suit For Your Tardis.

They had a couple of bits when the Olympics were held in London a few years ago.  I think Matt Smith's Doctor wound up running with the Olympic torch in one short, and they had the torch-bearer running into the TARDIS at some point,  but I don't recall the details offhand.  No interference with the actual games, real or implied, though.

Watching Figure Skating Pairs in the Team Event.

The size difference between the men and women in some of these figure skating pairs reminds me of when I saw Michael Jordan and Mary Lou Retton standing side by side at a Wheaties reunion.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

The Gods of Curling are pleased.

Turns out the Gods of Curling have become fans of EGS:NP!  Their favorite story so far was "Question Mark" but "Marker"/"Escape From the Mall" and "Playing With Dolls" are tied for second.

There are people complaining about Mixed Doubles Curling.
Not necessarily because men and women are playing together.
Some are concerned that the speed of play is faster and the Skip position is not the team commander as with four person teams.

These complaints to me seem reminiscent of the 1990s complaints about Beach Volleyball.
Many (not most, but a loud minority) long time players, coaches, supporters, and fans of traditional Volleyball did not like the new game.
But it proved more entertaining for many casual sports fans and the traditional game did begin to change.

Is there room for innovation in Baseball, Golf, or Being-Eaten-By-A- Crocodile?

NSFW?  It's Monty Python.  An effective tool for offending the easily offended.
If you, or someone near you, is such a person do everyone a favor.   Please don't click.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is there room for innovation in Baseball, Golf, or Being-Eaten-By-A- Crocodile?

In the two first, possibly. In the third, I doubt it. Crocodiles are conservative creatures and not best pleased with sudden and unexplained changes in their diet and feeding times.

We had some of the most delectable Being-Eaten-By-A-Crocodile competitors of all time in Egypt.
But the Powers-That-Be at Olympia would not sanction that event in the Ancient Games.

17 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Crocodiles are conservative creatures and not best pleased with sudden and unexplained changes in their diet and feeding times.

Crocodile time is pretty much "Sleep" or "Eat".  And if you interrupt the former, they are quite content to use you for the latter.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Crocodile time is pretty much "Sleep" or "Eat".  And if you interrupt the former, they are quite content to use you for the latter.

That explains what happened to the journalists sent to interview the favourites at the last Being-Eaten-By-A-Crocodile event.

They didn't even place in the contest. They were disqualified for not being part of the scheduled events.

I am thinking back to 1998 when CBS was covering the Nagano Games.

They had so little regard for Curling that Dorothy Letterman, David Letterman's mother, was sometimes the only person in CBS Sports gear at the Curling post match press conferences.

Awareness and interest for this auld Scottish game has grown so much in the US over the last two decades.

8 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That cat won't make the podium.

It can't catch any of the competitors.

I find it astonishing that someone with as much experience with cats as you have could ever make a certain statement about where a cat can and cannot go. If it decides to go to the top of the podium, there is where it will be.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Unless, of course, the cat happened to be confused.

My poor old Burmese Catso was chronically confused. He was such a good kitty but he had this constant expression that made him look terminally baffled. He would do things like fall off the bed while shifting position and then sit on the floor like, "I am almost completely sure that I did not mean to do that but somehow this happened anyway. Why?"

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

My poor old Burmese Catso was chronically confused. He was such a good kitty but he had this constant expression that made him look terminally baffled. He would do things like fall off the bed while shifting position and then sit on the floor like, "I am almost completely sure that I did not mean to do that but somehow this happened anyway. Why?"

Gravity was extra-strong that day.

Or at least, that's what we say when we drop something....