• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Monday February 12, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2459

Tedd's making progress now, no anger, no statistics or probabilities, gotta be clear, concise and from the heart.

And seems like Arthur might not know that Adrian is Tedd's godfather after all, because he certainly knows Adrian Raven since he tried to deport him, so he should have connected Pandora earlier when it was reveal that she protected her son from aberrations.

Also turns out that the WoM doesn't quite have the flair for the dramatic that everyone assumed. I guess it's just been winging it this whole time.

And then Van, I dunno, certainly seems like he's taken to Tedd quite well, has Tedd realized that he could be her half brother? I would think Van would have said something if he recognized Tedd's name, and Tedd doesn't know Van's last name yet, but is the fact that he to has a mom that's a monster hunter enough?

Magic doesn't have a flair for the dramatic!? It just assumed that's what people liked!?

And the issue this whole time is that the Seers weren't using terms Magic could comprehend?

This is why Magic needs a human perspective. It can't really get us otherwise.

9 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Magic doesn't have a flair for the dramatic!? It just assumed that's what people liked!?

And the issue this whole time is that the Seers weren't using terms Magic could comprehend?

This is why Magic needs a human perspective. It can't really get us otherwise.

I think this supports my theory that this is an AI of sorts, a learning AI.

Just realised something. With how things are going, Tedd looks like she can convince Magic to go public.

I can't wait to see the look on Voltaire's face when he realises that not only did Plan CM failed, it probably backfired because Magic sincerely assured Tedd that Pandora will come back and they will still be family.

2 minutes ago, partner555 said:

I can't wait to see the look on Voltaire's face when he realises that not only did Plan CM failed, it probably backfired because Magic sincerely assured Tedd that Pandora will come back and they will still be family.

Are we sure that magic going public isn't what he wanted? Or at least part of what he wanted?

3 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Just realised something. With how things are going, Tedd looks like she can convince Magic to go public.

That does look like the case.

And yes, seeing Voltaire's face when he groks how much he fracked up is going to to be just freaking awesome. 

3 minutes ago, partner555 said:

I still think talking about her life and experiences might be the way to go, enough of the little things that still made a difference might outweigh the "big things".

I gotta wonder what Voltaire actually wants here. Magic being public might allow Immortals more freedom in the guiding and empowering department with no threat of any system changes. But a severe change could allow him to seek out people who once had magic and make "promises" to help get it back if they do stuff for him. What would be more valuable to him?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

And then Van, I dunno, certainly seems like he's taken to Tedd quite well, has Tedd realized that he could be her half brother? I would think Van would have said something if he recognized Tedd's name, and Tedd doesn't know Van's last name yet, but is the fact that he to has a mom that's a monster hunter enough?

Look, it's obvious. His name is Van and his mother is a monster hunter. Clearly his last name is Helsing.

(Or on an outside chance, Belmont.)

Actually, I am not even sure Tedd knows her mother is a monster hunter. Hm. I'll have to backtrack in the archives -- did Pandora tell him? *scratches head*

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Tedd's making progress now, no anger, no statistics or probabilities, gotta be clear, concise and from the heart.

... she may also be on wrong track. Maybe we should wait for what she says. But yes, narratively it doesn't make sense for Tedd being wrong now so she's likely right.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

And seems like Arthur might not know that Adrian is Tedd's godfather after all, because he certainly knows Adrian Raven since he tried to deport him, so he should have connected Pandora earlier when it was reveal that she protected her son from aberrations.

Apparently ; also, I hope this will get cleared up before Arthur finds out Diane IS part of Pandora's family in the usual genetic sense.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also turns out that the WoM doesn't quite have the flair for the dramatic that everyone assumed. I guess it's just been winging it this whole time.

As Dan said in commentary, it sort of does, but it's just sideefect of how it (doesn't) understand humans.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

And Van doesn't know Tedd's mom is monster hunter. But maybe they feel the connection despite not knowing why.

1 hour ago, Illjwamh said:
1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Are we sure that magic going public isn't what he wanted? Or at least part of what he wanted?

Hard to say, but it seems making Tedd angry would LOWER her chance of convincing magic to go public.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I gotta wonder what Voltaire actually wants here. Magic being public might allow Immortals more freedom in the guiding and empowering department with no threat of any system changes. But a severe change could allow him to seek out people who once had magic and make "promises" to help get it back if they do stuff for him. What would be more valuable to him?

Magic being public means people would soon know exactly who he is and what he can do. That doesn't seem to be what he wants - he LIKES playing with people and lying to them to get them do what he wants. But maybe it's still worth it for him?

54 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

In an odd way, I was wrong about Van. He isn't there to contribute a viewpoint. He is there to contribute emotion. He can even do that without words, and he does it well. I'm glad.

Emotion and emotional support.

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Actually, I am not even sure Tedd knows her mother is a monster hunter. Hm. I'll have to backtrack in the archives -- did Pandora tell him? *scratches head*

Well she said she comes from long line of monster hunters. Her being one herself is implied.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I still think talking about her life and experiences might be the way to go, enough of the little things that still made a difference might outweigh the "big things".

I think he wants a severe change. Tedd wanted Magic to be public and Voltaire acted to traumatise him.

8 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

He wants Immortals to have more freedom.  Making the current system of magic permanent might be the perfect reason to bring all Immortals together and try to get them to agree to a change in rules.  Pandora's little stunt is also a good reason for Immortals to rethink the rules they follow.  Main question is, is it possible for him to contact all Immortals, other than by breaking their law?

Hmm, that might actually be his goal, if all the other Immortals automatically know why a fellow Immortal broke the law.  It would mean he couldn't participate, but he could get his platform out to all the others in one fell swoop.

"I am breaking the law because I wanted to get a message to all of you to meet in one week in Heka's domain to discuss changing the rules in the following ways...."

Magic called on the Seers to provide it with a human perspective, but didn't give them the perspective needed to properly provide their own perspective.

And subtlety is hard even when you don't have the perspective of a diffuse entity spread across an entire planet(or more)

8 hours ago, Illjwamh said:
8 hours ago, partner555 said:

Voltaire wanted Tedd bitter and distrustful towards Magic. If she was distrustful towards Magic, she likely wouldn't have believed what it said about Pandora coming back, meaning she wouldn't have calmed down and likely would be unable to convince Magic to go public while so filled with anger and pain. Magic calming her down required a level of trust from her.

Also, plan CM was likely never intended to traumatize Ted (though Voltaire certainly considered that a bonus) The purpose of Plan CM was probably an attempt to discredit technology as a significant threat vector for Magic's reveal, which it did (or almost did, depending on what Tedd says in the next comic)

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well she said she comes from long line of monster hunters. Her being one herself is implied.

AND a travel agent. A woman of multiple talents! :icon_eek:

Well, freelance Monster hunting likely doesn't pay well in the modern era, so she needs some way to pay her bills.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, that might actually be his goal, if all the other Immortals automatically know why a fellow Immortal broke the law.  It would mean he couldn't participate, but he could get his platform out to all the others in one fell swoop.

"I am breaking the law because I wanted to get a message to all of you to meet in one week in Heka's domain to discuss changing the rules in the following ways...."

I doubt he would take that route. For one, he wouldn't get to enjoy the benefits of all his hard work (his next incarnation would, but that would be a new person). And for two, he went through a lot of effort to maneuver Pandora into breaking the Laws. If he was willing to break the Laws himself, he could have just done that and not have dealt with Plan Complicated Mess at all. He could have just killed Elliot himself instead of trying to get Tara to do it for him.

Ok, I know the cute kid trope can get annoying, but dang it, seeing Van being protective and supportive of his sister Tedd, is giving me the feels.  I believe that he and Tedd don't realize they are related, at least not consciously, and that when Van hid behind Tedd it was simply because he was a female who wasn't Arthur.  Though, I do wonder if Tedd resembles his mother somewhat and it before everyone departs back to where they came from if Van will remark on any resemblance to his mom, or say something else that will give Tedd a clue.  Of course, I am not sure that will be a good thing to Tedd's psyche at this point.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

We know he wanted Tedd traumatized and disillusioned with magic.  Considering how Arthur feels, I wonder if Voltaire either had a hand in that?  I begin to wonder if he has been trying to track down seers to determine if they have used magic so he could influence how they feel.  Hell, he might have discredited those other two seers by throwing hints their way about the second purpose of Seers.  This would seem to indicate he wanted Tedd to be in favor of magic changing severely.

We also know he feels overly constrained by the laws of immortals.  And he wants immortals to listen to him in changing those rules.  This would seem to suggest he wants immortals to loosen the restrictions.  We don't know what happens in the world of immortals when magic changes, but what if they come together at this time as well?

I really think that Voltaire wants humans unable to use magic again and Immortals able to directly act, and perhaps in a more visible manner.

11 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Well, freelance Monster hunting likely doesn't pay well in the modern era, so she needs some way to pay her bills.

Possibly, but you would think that some secret government agency somewhere might recognize the value of supporting private monster-hunting if they had trouble recruiting enough talent themselves.  Or possibly there might be some secret guild somewhere, supported by old money (i.e. confiscated treasures) that gathers and trains monster-hunters.

Oh wait, those tropes have probably been done.  Okay, how about this, maybe since travel agents are being driven out of business by online trip-booking, they have decided to branch out into monster-hunting since that would make destinations more safe... eh, nevermind, I need more coffee.

7 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

We know he wanted Tedd traumatized and disillusioned with magic.  Considering how Arthur feels, I wonder if Voltaire either had a hand in that?  I begin to wonder if he has been trying to track down seers to determine if they have used magic so he could influence how they feel.  Hell, he might have discredited those other two seers by throwing hints their way about the second purpose of Seers.  This would seem to indicate he wanted Tedd to be in favor of magic changing severely.

Arthur's older and has more experience, his line of work involved dealing with people that would want to harm others so if that's all he's seen, then of course he'll be all for severe change because then he could finally rest knowing that people like Not_Tengu won't be causing trouble.

I thing Voltaire's hope with having Elliot killed or with the reveal that Tedd's dream of making magic public could never be reality might have been trying to guide Tedd into thinking "what's the point of having magic at all if we're just going to keep getting screwed over like this?"

As for Van, either Voltaire didn't know about him, or maybe he thought Van was too young with a perspective that's too narrow ("My mom needs it!") to be of any threat to his plan.

"The Spellbooks are difficult to understand?"

Ahhaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (gets dragged off in straightjacket)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
2 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Okay, how about this, maybe since travel agents are being driven out of business by online trip-booking, they have decided to branch out into monster-hunting since that would make destinations more safe... eh, nevermind, I need more coffee.

Plausible

"Hello, is this Air France? I would like to order two vampire hunters, an exorcist and a mummy exterminator."

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yes she did, though the realization might have gotten lost in everything else that happened.  .