• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Monday February 12, 2018

7 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Also, plan CM was likely never intended to traumatize Ted (though Voltaire certainly considered that a bonus) The purpose of Plan CM was probably an attempt to discredit technology as a significant threat vector for Magic's reveal, which it did (or almost did, depending on what Tedd says in the next comic)

Since Scarf using a gun was the trigger for Pandora breaking Immortal law, I don't think that worked as intended.

I just thought of something, and double-checked. Tedd can make a wand of any spell he has observed with his seer powers- and he's used his seer powers  on his seer powers. Does this mean Tedd can make Seer wands? (I can even think of why he would- it'd work far better than the magic analysis wands they already have, so  presumably it would prevent anyone else going through what he did due to him resisting the wand.) if he can, then magic doesn't actually have a choice except to make changes to allow magic to safely go public (since the Seer wands would work regardless of magic changing, so Tedd could simply give sufficient people Seer wands that every time Magic changes, it gets back to where it was within about 5  minutes. Magic would probably give in within a couple of hours.

hang on... could THAT have been plan CM? piss Tedd off enough for him to go "fuck you" to magic, and sabotage the magic change mechanism? it could, after all, explain how Lord Tedd got started. (Grace was significantly more...militaristic... in Lord Tedd's universe, and there was no Elliott we know of, so it's possible Lord Tedd lost his temper at Magic, and the power went to his head. It'd explain Nioi, too, since if Ellen's dreams with Kaoli were close to Nioi's experiences with Lord Tedd, she'd know it was fundamentally General Shade Tail (Grace's alternate) that caused Lord Tedd to be the way he was (and there's some signs General Shade Tail's actually the mind behind Lord Tedd's actions- Nioi thought, when she arrived "he is corrupting you"- which would make sense if the evil acts were planned by General Shade Tail (or at least encouraged)

In short, could plan CM be to cause Tedd to turn into Lord Tedd? With Voltaire overlooking that the situations are sufficiently different that it was never likely to work?  (the way I see it, Lord Tedd is the way he is because both Elliott isn't in the picture for some reason and Grace isn't as pacifistic as she is in the main universe. (IIRC Tedd and Nanase never really tended to hang out- indeed, even these days they tend to hang out more as part of the whole group than anything.As such, I doubt she would have been able to do a great deal to prevent Tedd from becoming Lord Tedd even if she is around.)

All this talk of dramatic hipsters in the commentary.  I now picture the will of magic as a tall man with a flowing black opera cloak, lined in red. As he ends his final pronouncement on the future of magic he spins to face the camera, the cloak swirling around behind him, revealing his tank top and jeans.

12 minutes ago, sstabeler said:

In short, could plan CM be to cause Tedd to turn into Lord Tedd? With Voltaire overlooking that the situations are sufficiently different that it was never likely to work?  (the way I see it, Lord Tedd is the way he is because both Elliott isn't in the picture for some reason and Grace isn't as pacifistic as she is in the main universe. (IIRC Tedd and Nanase never really tended to hang out- indeed, even these days they tend to hang out more as part of the whole group than anything.As such, I doubt she would have been able to do a great deal to prevent Tedd from becoming Lord Tedd even if she is around.)

The only reason why Grace is the way she is, is because Dr Scuiridae's daughter Grace died in a car accident in the main universe, and so a grief stricken Scuiridae used her DNA in the Shade Tail Project instead of the intended Human DNA. The Shade Tail in Lord Tedd's universe got the intended Human DNA because Dr Scuiridae's daughter didn't die, it's possible the the Human DNA used might have made that Shade Tail more aggressive than expected, also apparently opportunistic and therefore likely ended up being a bigger threat than Damien in that universe.

But the really important part would have been a lack of Elliot, Tedd even stated that Elliot was there when he needed someone, so if Elliot wasn't around and somehow Shade Tail took on that role of guardian and "friend" then he might have been able to manipulate Tedd into doing things.

10 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

We know he wanted Tedd traumatized and disillusioned with magic.  Considering how Arthur feels, I wonder if Voltaire either had a hand in that?  I begin to wonder if he has been trying to track down seers to determine if they have used magic so he could influence how they feel.  Hell, he might have discredited those other two seers by throwing hints their way about the second purpose of Seers.  This would seem to indicate he wanted Tedd to be in favor of magic changing severely.

Didn't we already said this? Anyway, seems pretty likely to me as well.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

As for Van, either Voltaire didn't know about him, or maybe he thought Van was too young with a perspective that's too narrow ("My mom needs it!") to be of any threat to his plan.

Well, maybe he IS too young. What do you think he would be able to do if Arthur and Tedd both decided for reset?

1 hour ago, sstabeler said:

I just thought of something, and double-checked. Tedd can make a wand of any spell he has observed with his seer powers- and he's used his seer powers  on his seer powers. Does this mean Tedd can make Seer wands?

Probably not, and the explanation would be that seer powers are not spell.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, sstabeler said:

The only reason why Grace is the way she is, is because Dr Scuiridae's daughter Grace died in a car accident in the main universe, and so a grief stricken Scuiridae used her DNA in the Shade Tail Project instead of the intended Human DNA. The Shade Tail in Lord Tedd's universe got the intended Human DNA because Dr Scuiridae's daughter didn't die, it's possible the the Human DNA used might have made that Shade Tail more aggressive than expected, also apparently opportunistic and therefore likely ended up being a bigger threat than Damien in that universe.

But the really important part would have been a lack of Elliot, Tedd even stated that Elliot was there when he needed someone, so if Elliot wasn't around and somehow Shade Tail took on that role of guardian and "friend" then he might have been able to manipulate Tedd into doing things.

I would totally agree with it except one thing: I don't think Voltaire KNOWS about Lord Tedd or all the details necessary for his plan to succeed. But, yes, Lord Tedd would be what he wanted ... and possibly what alternative Voltaire in THAT universe wanted and got.

Also, remember what Pandora almost called Elliot? I mean, she only said he's Tedd's-- ... but I'm sure whatever the missing word was, it was referring to his role as LordTeddPreventer.

(Also, yes ; Nanase would never get into Tedd's inner circle if not for quite improbable sequence of events involving Susan and Ellen. And the Goo sent by Lord Tedd ...)

1 hour ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

All this talk of dramatic hipsters in the commentary.  I now picture the will of magic as a tall man with a flowing black opera cloak, lined in red. As he ends his final pronouncement on the future of magic he spins to face the camera, the cloak swirling around behind him, revealing his tank top and jeans.

I totally understand anyone who just put cloak over comfortable clothing. Especially if that person have lot of magic and the comfortable clothing is clearly made in high-industrial society. Also, would YOU tell the Archmage he dresses funny?

15 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I doubt he {Voltaire} would take that route. For one, he wouldn't get to enjoy the benefits of all his hard work (his next incarnation would, but that would be a new person).

What if a fairy were to deliberately plan things out, fully prepare for a normal fairy "death", and then break fairy law?

14 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ok, I know the cute kid trope can get annoying, but dang it, seeing Van being protective and supportive of his sister Tedd, is giving me the feels.  I believe that he and Tedd don't realize they are related, at least not consciously, and that when Van hid behind Tedd it was simply because he was a female who wasn't Arthur.

Evidence strongly suggesting that Van and Tedd are, or aren't, half-siblings, is extremely lacking. Both weak evidence (Van doesn't have Tedd's eye-shape) and probability say they are probably not.

On the other hand, given his age, Van probably remembers having been baby-sat by a number of female teenagers whom he sometimes didn't know prior to the time he was left in their care without parental supervision. But has had rather less direct one-on-one interaction with strange old men. So he'd be more comfortable with another such female teenager than with a strange old man.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I would say Pandora was going to say "best friend".

2 hours ago, animalia said:

If that was all why cut it off? I suppose it could be a red herring, but...

If Pandora had said "Tedd's best friend" - well, it wouldn't take much observation to learn who Tedd's best friend is. She was protecting Ch.. that superheroine's identity.

2 hours ago, animalia said:

She didn't feel it was necessary to complete the sentence, she wanted to get the rest of the details on what happened.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:
15 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ok, I know the cute kid trope can get annoying, but dang it, seeing Van being protective and supportive of his sister Tedd, is giving me the feels.  I believe that he and Tedd don't realize they are related, at least not consciously, and that when Van hid behind Tedd it was simply because he was a female who wasn't Arthur.

Evidence strongly suggesting that Van and Tedd are, or aren't, half-siblings, is extremely lacking. Both weak evidence (Van doesn't have Tedd's eye-shape) and probability say they are probably not.

In-story evidence is really like you described.

Meta evidence, however, suggests that Van and Tedd are related. Because the story world is smaller than it should. As proven by Carol being Sarah's sister.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:
4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I would say Pandora was going to say "best friend".

3 hours ago, animalia said:

If Pandora had said "Tedd's best friend" - well, it wouldn't take much observation to learn who Tedd's best friend is. She was protecting Ch.. that superheroine's identity.

Of course 1) The dream wizard wouldn't remember it anyway 2) Voltaire already said his name 3) Tedd's whatever is pretty short list. If not "best friend", what could fit ... "girlfriend", implying Grace, "cousin", implying Nanase, and I suppose we COULD blame Sarah as well although I'm not sure what word would be there. So, not so great protection. Oh, wait: it could also be Tedd's father, mother or brother.

Maybe it was linguistic help from the Uryuoms, but Tedd understands the way The Will Of Magic writes better than most humans,

Tedd is now going to explain human use of magic to the Will of Magic in the same linguistic style TWOM uses to write in the spell books.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Maybe it was linguistic help from the Uryuoms, but Tedd understands the way The Will Of Magic writes better than most humans,

Tedd is now going to explain human use of magic to the Will of Magic in the same linguistic style TWOM uses to write in the spell books.

I though Tedd only understand better than other magic users because he's seer ...

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I though Tedd only understand better than other magic users because he's seer ...

Seer abilities lets him understand magic mechanics. Doesn't let him understand Magic.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:13 AM, hkmaly said:

Of course 1) The dream wizard wouldn't remember it anyway 2) Voltaire already said his name 3) Tedd's whatever is pretty short list. If not "best friend", what could fit ... "girlfriend", implying Grace, "cousin", implying Nanase, and I suppose we COULD blame Sarah as well although I'm not sure what word would be there. So, not so great protection. Oh, wait: it could also be Tedd's father, mother or brother.

The Wizard says that he doesn't remember who Grace is when he wakes up; that doesn't necessarily mean he won't remember any details of his conversation with Pandora. (Of course, in that case, as you pointed out she already said too much.)

However, if we (and Pandora) were to assume that he wouldn't remember the conversation, there really wouldn't be any need for her to hide anything from him. In that case the most likely reason for Pandora cutting her sentence off would be Scotty's suggestion she was in a rush to get the details.

...At least, there wouldn't be any in-story reason for Pandora not to finish her sentence. Perhaps the term she was going to use would have revealed something that Dan doesn't want to say just yet? (My first thought was "soul mate", but that wouldn't really be much of a spoiler, as Dan has already said many times that in every universe where they both exist, Tedd and Elliot are friends and/or lovers.)

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

The Wizard says that he doesn't remember who Grace is when he wakes up; that doesn't necessarily mean he won't remember any details of his conversation with Pandora. (Of course, in that case, as you pointed out she already said too much.)

According to Disco Wizard the spell allows him "to remember who Grace is, details about her and our past meetings, and details about why I am contacting her" and all of that only applied when he's using the spell. When he's not using the spell he "just knows there is still a problem" which probably amounts a nagging feeling that he needs to use the spell again.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:
11 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

According to Disco Wizard the spell allows him "to remember who Grace is, details about her and our past meetings, and details about why I am contacting her" and all of that only applied when he's using the spell. When he's not using the spell he "just knows there is still a problem" which probably amounts a nagging feeling that he needs to use the spell again.

Yes.

...At least, there wouldn't be any in-story reason for Pandora not to finish her sentence. Perhaps the term she was going to use would have revealed something that Dan doesn't want to say just yet? (My first thought was "soul mate", but that wouldn't really be much of a spoiler, as Dan has already said many times that in every universe where they both exist, Tedd and Elliot are friends and/or lovers.)

The out-of-story reason might be that Dan isn't sure what term exactly should he use, but wants to imply that Pandora does.

However, if we (and Pandora) were to assume that he wouldn't remember the conversation, there really wouldn't be any need for her to hide anything from him.

It might be reflex. Like, not saying secrets out loud even if noone is around to hear them.

Also, didn't someone speculated that GRACE might be able to remember something from that conversation? I personally don't think so, but it's true it WAS inside her head ...

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, didn't someone speculated that GRACE might be able to remember something from that conversation? I personally don't think so, but it's true it WAS inside her head ...

The conversation between Pandora and Disco Wizard did happen in Grace's dreams, BUT considering Grace wasn't actually involved in the conversation it's quite possible she wouldn't remember it. The "SLAM" when Disco Wizard first confronts Pandora suggests that he sealed the two of them off from the rest of Grace's dream so that it wouldn't interfere with the dream.