• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Friday February 16, 2018

I'm calling it now: Magic is an advanced AI running on a computer system on an upper level of reality. It has a pre-programmed set of parameters for the task it was built to perform: give humans "supernatural" abilities based on their personality and desires, monitor the results, and trigger the "change procedure" when magic reaches a worldwide exposure level above X. It's been programmed to read these qualities from humans, and this is in fact the only way it can perceive the world and how humans (and Immortals, and other magic-users like the Griffins and maybe the Uryuoms) interact with it.

Instant percentage-based calculations (seemingly on-demand with zero latency), talk of spells being given to humans as part of an "automated flow".... just little bits and pieces of how Magic has been speaking.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, it's not like it would be logistically POSSIBLE to teach everyone magic even if someone would decide so: not enough teachers.

That's what the Seers are for, though I concede that's only after a severe change.

11 minutes ago, CNash said:

I'm calling it now: Magic is an advanced AI running on a computer system on an upper level of reality. It has a pre-programmed set of parameters for the task it was built to perform: give humans "supernatural" abilities based on their personality and desires, monitor the results, and trigger the "change procedure" when magic reaches a worldwide exposure level above X. It's been programmed to read these qualities from humans, and this is in fact the only way it can perceive the world and how humans (and Immortals, and other magic-users like the Griffins and maybe the Uryuoms) interact with it.

Instant percentage-based calculations (seemingly on-demand with zero latency), talk of spells being given to humans as part of an "automated flow".... just little bits and pieces of how Magic has been speaking.

I'm pretty sure that's been brought up before.

Tedd may enjoy having just won the argument, and she's passionate about magic being available to everyone, but what she doesn't seem to realize yet is that she just became arguably the most important human being who has ever lived.

Just think about it. Empires, religions, and political ideologies have all changed the course of human history in unimaginable ways, but Tedd isn't just some empire-builder, prophet, general, or political thinker.

He's essentially the equivalent of someone who convinced God to change the laws of the universe, or if one prefers a secular example, arguing with "Physics" and being pretty much the sole reason it was "convinced" to change the rules and now everyone is a superhero.

Imagine someone won an argument with the concept of gravity. That's basically what Tedd did right now.

Found an interesting quote on facebook, and thought I'd share it.

One of the factoids few Americans know and/or care about is that people who are accused of witchcraft are still being killed, notably in Indonesia, the country with the largest majority Muslim population on the planet. I wonder if Dan will address this issue in any way if he allows the existence of real magic to become public in the Moperverse.  And there is that verse in the Bible about not letting a witch live.

Touchy religious controversy aside, a lot of people would be afraid of magic users, or jealous of, or eager to exploit magic and magic users. Looks much like the answer to Cranium's prayer that Moperville will not become another Roswell is turning out to be an emphatic "No."

Let's review some personal magical-secrecy issues left unresolved for our characters:

• Rhoda still hasn't told anyone but Catalina that she has magic, most especially Diane.
  • Luke--remember Luke?--could sense magic, though we don't know for sure he knows its magic he's sensing.
  • Susan hasn't told Catalina or her mom she has magic.
  • Catalina hasn't told anyone we know of that she has magic (she didn't have to tell Rhoda).
  • Besides finding out Mr. Raven is her father, is a wizard, and is hundreds of years old, Diane knows that her grandmother is Pandora, that she's a natural vampire killer, that griffins are real, that Elliot is Cheerleadra...maybe it would be easier to list the secrets Diane doesn't know about. I wonder if she has even noticed Noah yet; they've never been shown interacting or even referring to one another. But that seems likely to change soon.
  • Sarah hasn't told her family as far as we know; certainly she hasn't told Carol yet.

I

16 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Tedd may enjoy having just won the argument, and she's passionate about magic being available to everyone, but what she doesn't seem to realize yet is that she just became arguably the most important human being who has ever lived.

Just think about it. Empires, religions, and political ideologies have all changed the course of human history in unimaginable ways, but Tedd isn't just some empire-builder, prophet, general, or political thinker.

He's essentially the equivalent of someone who convinced God to change the laws of the universe, or if one prefers a secular example, arguing with "Physics" and being pretty much the sole reason it was "convinced" to change the rules and now everyone is a superhero.

Imagine someone won an argument with the concept of gravity. That's basically what Tedd did right now.

Found an interesting quote on facebook, and thought I'd share it.

If you think about it, Tedd's not really any more special than other Seer's who've met with the WoM in the past.

Every time magic got too well known, the WoM would have presented the eligible Seer at the time with the same two options, severe change to maintain secrecy, or minimal changes to accomodate it's reveal. The last change occurred when a warmongering horde was on the verge of decimating a town with magic so it stands to reason that the Seer at the time might have been in agreement that Magic would be too destructive in the wrong hands and if magic was allowed to continue as it was, that horde would have run rampant across the lands (I would expect the WoM would have told the Seer what prompt that meeting). Yeah there probably would have been a chance that another group of wizards might form to stop the horde eventually, but that Seer might have desired to save the ones in immediate danger.

I would suspect that other times that magic changed were due to magic being used in war or some other unsavory manor which would always lead to the Seer choosing severe change in order to save innocent lives or bring down an oppressive ruler or something. It might have been different if there was a natural disaster about to wipe out a large population and only Magic could prevent it, a Seer could argue minimal changes to protect people as well.

In Tedd's case, there isn't some huge war where wizards are being used to kill and destroy, and there's no natural disaster threatening the population so it's certainly isn't a black and white case in that regard but I wouldn't say that Tedd's done the impossible here, it was always possible but very dependent on circumstances.

57 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And there is that verse in the Bible about not letting a witch live.

Which was codswallop and just an example of bad translation. In the original the verse spoke of a poisoner, not a witch. I daresay there is an important difference.

If anyone here feels like reading an interesting article about how translation errors or deliberate mistranslation can create a world of trouble for a holy text, I highly recommend this article.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

The Paranormal Division and others like it won't be made obsolete with magic being public, there's still Uryoums and other extra terrestrial entities that they need to take care of.

I wonder if the Paranormal Division is even the group responsible for Uryuom relations and hiding their existence?  Wolf and Cranium are out of the loop when it comes to Uryuoms, and Wolf has been outright told there are no such thing as aliens (even if he doesn't believe it). This suggests there are actually two Masquerades - the Masquerade hiding magic and the Masquerade hiding aliens - and that Mr. Verres and his superiors (as well as the Main 8) are unusual for being in on both Masquerades. I suspect the Paranormal Division only handles magical and Inderdimensional threats, while some other group which Mr. Verres is also a part of is responsible for the alien Masquerade.

I would expect that if magic use does get mainstream and widespread, that there would have to be the establishment of more public and large scalable means of magic enforcement, and the only ones who would be qualified on a technical level to manage that would be the seers, because they can directly observe all forms of magic and know how to regulate it thoroughly, perhaps working in conjunction with cooperative immortals who have pledged to an ironclad contract.

12 hours ago, CNash said:

Just because it seems more similar to computer system than to human intelligence doesn't necessary means it's an computer system itself.

In fact, as a humans, we are quite good at recognizing when something is not thinking as humans. We are worse at recognizing when something is not thinking as computer.

In fact, flair for drama? Not something computers usually have, even indirectly.

I don't think it's running on a physical computer system in any reality. On the other hand ... you may have point that it was programmed, as opposed to naturally evolving that way. Those objectives seems to be at least partially forced to it from outside.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Looks much like the answer to Cranium's prayer that Moperville will not become another Roswell is turning out to be an emphatic "No."

The incident she was praying about didn't. With the immortals wiping out aberrations everywhere, it's possible that Moperville will NOT be considered "source" of the problems, in fact.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Every time magic got too well known, the WoM would have presented the eligible Seer at the time with the same two options, severe change to maintain secrecy, or minimal changes to accomodate it's reveal. The last change occurred when a warmongering horde was on the verge of decimating a town with magic so it stands to reason that the Seer at the time might have been in agreement that Magic would be too destructive in the wrong hands and if magic was allowed to continue as it was, that horde would have run rampant across the lands (I would expect the WoM would have told the Seer what prompt that meeting). Yeah there probably would have been a chance that another group of wizards might form to stop the horde eventually, but that Seer might have desired to save the ones in immediate danger.

It's also possible the seer in question was on the path of that horde and was acting out of self-defense.

I would suspect that other times that magic changed were due to magic being used in war or some other unsavory manor which would always lead to the Seer choosing severe change in order to save innocent lives or bring down an oppressive ruler or something. It might have been different if there was a natural disaster about to wipe out a large population and only Magic could prevent it, a Seer could argue minimal changes to protect people as well.

In past, "magic going public" was always going to be "one group of people will get magic and will use it against others". People were much more patriotic in past, and even if they wouldn't, there simply wasn't way for magic to spread over whole world without group of magic users actively spreading it ... and such group would likely be CONQUERING the places it spreads the magic to, simply because in past when big group of people travelled long way it was almost always army marching to war.

In Tedd's case, there isn't some huge war where wizards are being used to kill and destroy, and there's no natural disaster threatening the population so it's certainly isn't a black and white case in that regard but I wouldn't say that Tedd's done the impossible here, it was always possible but very dependent on circumstances.

There might still be war. But for first time, it is actually possible for magic to spread peacefully at least to SOME places.

I agree that Tedd isn't so much better than seers in past. Tedd is the first seer who has circumstance on her side. Well ... he, Arthur and Van. Those two are only seers we can compare her to, and Tedd is winning that comparison ... but being better at argumentation than two people, one of whom is child, is not exactly "impossible".

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Which was codswallop and just an example of bad translation. In the original the verse spoke of a poisoner, not a witch. I daresay there is an important difference.

I would suspect this mistranslation was one of the deliberate ones.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
20 hours ago, Scotty said:

The Paranormal Division and others like it won't be made obsolete with magic being public, there's still Uryoums and other extra terrestrial entities that they need to take care of.

I wonder if the Paranormal Division is even the group responsible for Uryuom relations and hiding their existence?  Wolf and Cranium are out of the loop when it comes to Uryuoms, and Wolf has been outright told there are no such thing as aliens (even if he doesn't believe it). This suggests there are actually two Masquerades - the Masquerade hiding magic and the Masquerade hiding aliens - and that Mr. Verres and his superiors (as well as the Main 8) are unusual for being in on both Masquerades. I suspect the Paranormal Division only handles magical and Inderdimensional threats, while some other group which Mr. Verres is also a part of is responsible for the alien Masquerade.

Considering Lavender works with them, I think someone was making fun of agent Wolf ... or his need to know changed.

It can easily be the same ORGANIZATION taking care for both - which is supported by Mr. Verres being in charge of both as head of paranormal - but individual agents may STILL not know everything. Information is handled on need-to-know basis and Agent Wolf and Cranium - at least near the start of EGS - were not in need to know about Uryuom.

12 hours ago, partner555 said:

That's what the Seers are for, though I concede that's only after a severe change.

Not really. Seers are still supposed to only teach selected few. Even if those thousand seers would be informed, it would still be too few of them to teach every person on planet - or even just as many people as is currently taught calculus, for example. (I mean differential and integral calculus if that's not exact by itself.)

3 hours ago, weirdee said:

I would expect that if magic use does get mainstream and widespread, that there would have to be the establishment of more public and large scalable means of magic enforcement, and the only ones who would be qualified on a technical level to manage that would be the seers, because they can directly observe all forms of magic and know how to regulate it thoroughly, perhaps working in conjunction with cooperative immortals who have pledged to an ironclad contract.

Seers actually wouldn't be qualified for managing, more like for research.

They would certainly be in high demand from everyone knowing about them. Which practically means Arthur Arthur will attempt to convince Tedd to work for DGB.

Also, I think even relatively cooperative immortals wouldn't want to pledge ironclad contract. Certainly not the ones we know about. The closest you get to immortal forced by vow to cooperate will likely be Pandora after reset working with Sarah - likely in Tedd's lab, because where else ... question is if it would be Tedd's lab in his basement or new shiny one DGB will prepare for him.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I am informed that my conception of a mistranslation in this instance may itself have been shaped by a political argument. Thus I fear that this postulate of mine is suspect given that this was something I read years ago in sources no longer readily available to me. Given that it most certainly has also been affected by erosion of my memories and how I wanted the argument to be, I am afraid I have to retract it.

27 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I am informed that my conception of a mistranslation in this instance may itself have been shaped by a political argument. Thus I fear that this postulate of mine is suspect given that this was something I read years ago in sources no longer readily available to me. Given that it most certainly has also been affected by erosion of my memories and how I wanted the argument to be, I am afraid I have to retract it.

Hard to be sure if it was or wasn't shaped by political argument, but google returns lot of instance of that ... for example this one. It also returns article about how it's correct translation, although this one ends with "God has seen to it that we have a clear translation in His preserved words in English, the King James Bible" which doesn't exactly sound convincing. I also found a third one, which is not clear in if it's about herbal medicine or sorcery, but it IS clear that the word was gender neutral - and that "live" was "live among you" - so it wasn't supposed to call for killing them.

The third source also mentions that the verse was used in 373 to accuse Gnostics, which definitely supports my suspicion that no matter what it originally said, it's was misused politically so long ago we don't have reliable sources of what it said before that.

I now wonder if Ellen's Second Life was lived in a world where Magic wound up accepting magic going public much sooner than our world.  There could be many reasons that could happen other than the Internet.  Perhaps the Uryuoms arrived in a manner that did not allow for them to be hidden, and people had seen their version of magic enough to not have automatic disbelief or hostility towards human magic.

Hmm, then again, I didn't see any real evidence that magic was publicly known, only that aliens were....

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

I now wonder if Ellen's Second Life was lived in a world where Magic wound up accepting magic going public much sooner than our world.  There could be many reasons that could happen other than the Internet.  Perhaps the Uryuoms arrived in a manner that did not allow for them to be hidden, and people had seen their version of magic enough to not have automatic disbelief or hostility towards human magic.

Hmm, then again, I didn't see any real evidence that magic was publicly known, only that aliens were....

Lack of any mention of Magic in the Second Life universe could mean either a) secrecy surrounding it is still very much intact and there isn't any meddling to reveal it. b ) the WoM did such a severe change the last time around that it became impossible for humans to use magic. c) Immortals/Faeries never existed to be able to mate with Humans  which would mean that Humans wouldn't gain the capacity to use magic. or d) magic doesn't exist at all.

The last two possibilities obviously present the issue of lack of Immortal ancestry in Humans which in turn would be an issue with how would people like Tedd still exist. mind you Ellen said she never saw Nanase or any of the other main eight characters in her experiences but still the chances of Tedd still existing without Immortal ancestry is very low, so the first two possibilities seem more likely to be the case,  I'm sure "a" would be preferential to many than "b" but it's really tough to say and I'm not sure we'll ever find out.

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Just because it seems more similar to computer system than to human intelligence doesn't necessary means it's an computer system itself.

In fact, as a humans, we are quite good at recognizing when something is not thinking as humans. We are worse at recognizing when something is not thinking as computer.

In fact, flair for drama? Not something computers usually have, even indirectly.

I don't think it's running on a physical computer system in any reality. On the other hand ... you may have point that it was programmed, as opposed to naturally evolving that way. Those objectives seems to be at least partially forced to it from outside.

Haven't we established that magic doesn't have a "flair for the dramatic" but rather a lack of subtlety which appears to casual observers as a fair for the dramatic?

I do stand by my notion that its parameters are programmed rather than something it chose itself. How can it judge how much widespread knowledge is too much when it can't directly observe the world and doesn't understand human motivations anyway? And yet it somehow knows that Pandora's final act caused X number of people to "notice" magic, and that this meets the criteria for "too much". It needs seers to advise it on what to do next, but has no problems making the initial decision to invoke them. It does sound like its threshold of "knowing" is forced upon it from somewhere else.

39 minutes ago, CNash said:

Haven't we established that magic doesn't have a "flair for the dramatic" but rather a lack of subtlety which appears to casual observers as a fair for the dramatic?

That's what I meant by "indirectly".

39 minutes ago, CNash said:

I do stand by my notion that its parameters are programmed rather than something it chose itself. How can it judge how much widespread knowledge is too much when it can't directly observe the world and doesn't understand human motivations anyway? And yet it somehow knows that Pandora's final act caused X number of people to "notice" magic, and that this meets the criteria for "too much". It needs seers to advise it on what to do next, but has no problems making the initial decision to invoke them. It does sound like its threshold of "knowing" is forced upon it from somewhere else.

You might've noticed that I agreed with that part of your theory.

Just remember that just because it's programmed doesn't mean it's computer.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Lack of any mention of Magic in the Second Life universe could mean either a) secrecy surrounding it is still very much intact and there isn't any meddling to reveal it. b ) the WoM did such a severe change the last time around that it became impossible for humans to use magic. c) Immortals/Faeries never existed to be able to mate with Humans  which would mean that Humans wouldn't gain the capacity to use magic. or d) magic doesn't exist at all.

Note that without Grace (with Uryuom in open it's unlikely she would seek Tedd), Nanase and Susan and with Ellen spending time singing in band instead of in ASMA and never touching a dewitchery diamond, there is not exactly reason for Tedd to ever start researching magic.

It's possible the meddling is simply happening in other part of that world with different people. Or, well, maybe Nanase is still taking part in it :)

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

which in turn would be an issue with how would people like Tedd still exist

Note that he started shorter and wound up taller than "their" Tedd. There seem to be differences, and realistically speaking, Uryuoms fighting in revolutionary war by itself would cause so many differences anyone being similar would be more likely coincidence.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, Drasvin said:

I imagine Arthur is going to have a very busy Monday, unless he works weekends.

I suspect Arthur hasn't allowed himself a day off since replacing Edward in the Investigation division.  At the very least not since he made his TV debut.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 0:42 PM, ChronosCat said:

That was a little too easy. Does anyone else have a feeling of impending doom right now?

I really think those three should have tried to find out what sort of changes WoM was considering, particularly for the "minor changes and go public" option. Maybe it's just my pessimism speaking, but I suspect that when the new rules are revealed, Tedd isn't going to be very happy with them.

Or to rephrase the idea,

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Vorlonagent said:

here's a question: Suppose what magic thinks is a small change actually *is* catastrophic for human magic-users?

Arthur and Tedd should be asking some very detailed questions about now.

After all, small changes can make a huge difference.

Small changes to Star Wars wound up giving us Jar Jar.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Note that without Grace (with Uryuom in open it's unlikely she would seek Tedd), Nanase and Susan and with Ellen spending time singing in band instead of in ASMA and never touching a dewitchery diamond, there is not exactly reason for Tedd to ever start researching magic.

It's possible the meddling is simply happening in other part of that world with different people. Or, well, maybe Nanase is still taking part in it :)

Sarah has been friends with Elliot since before they were even in school, and there parents are good friends as well. That certainly wasn't the case in the Second Life universe, Elliot knew Susan through Sarah though yeah they didn't really interact until the events of the first Sister arc. I would figure that while Second Life Tedd started kinda like our Tedd, being mopey and stuff, it did seem like Ellen was able to bring him out of that rut as well and there's even a hint that Second Life Tedd is also genderfluid, either way Nanase tended to avoid Tedd in the main universe because she thought he was weird with his initially being withdrawn, then a snarky jerk that did strange things in the basement, that Second Life Tedd didn't seem to go through those phases so there shouldn't have been a reason for Nanase to avoid him, unless Nanase ended up being the strange one and Tedd avoided her? It's possible she didn't live in Moperville, the fun thing about alternate universes is that each can be as similar or different as the next.

I guess the most interesting thing about the Second Life Universe is that Lord Tedd hadn't attacked Second Life Tedd (yet) though maybe Second Life Tedd doesn't pose a threat because he's not a seer or magic user.

Also it's quite possible that Pandora didn't fall in love with Blaike in the Second life universe and give birth to Adrian so she'd have continued to reset as usual.

37 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I would figure that while Second Life Tedd started kinda like our Tedd, being mopey and stuff, it did seem like Ellen was able to bring him out of that rut as well and there's even a hint that Second Life Tedd is also genderfluid, either way Nanase tended to avoid Tedd in the main universe because she thought he was weird with his initially being withdrawn, then a snarky jerk that did strange things in the basement, that Second Life Tedd didn't seem to go through those phases so there shouldn't have been a reason for Nanase to avoid him, unless Nanase ended up being the strange one and Tedd avoided her? It's possible she didn't live in Moperville, the fun thing about alternate universes is that each can be as similar or different as the next.

Actually, Second Life Tedd was never as low as our Tedd seemed too, and presumably that was WITHOUT TF-gun. Maybe his mother didn't leave? Maybe it was her sister who left? And NANASE is the withdrawn misdetected seer? Or maybe she wasn't misdetected and left with her mother?

The fun think is that with how little informations we have about that universe, we can speculate almost limitless.

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also it's quite possible that Pandora didn't fall in love with Blaike in the Second life universe and give birth to Adrian so she'd have continued to reset as usual.

Or she did, but Adrian Raven was not teaching in Moperville. Maybe Arthur Arthur SUCCEED in deporting him to Russia, or at least annoyed him enough he decided to not stay in US.

While it was Pandora who caused most of incidents which caused the magic reset, truth is that the situation was getting more and more volatile. It wouldn't be weird if the event with Pandora eradicating most of Aberrations happened in second life universe just few months after Ellen's second life ended.

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, Second Life Tedd was never as low as our Tedd seemed too, and presumably that was WITHOUT TF-gun. Maybe his mother didn't leave? Maybe it was her sister who left? And NANASE is the withdrawn misdetected seer? Or maybe she wasn't misdetected and left with her mother?

When SL Ellen first met SL Tedd he didn't have a lot of self esteem, he believed he was no good, where would he get that from? It didn't appear that any of the other kids were picking on him (it was the first day of school after all and Ellen probably got to him before anyone else got any ideas) so maybe it was trouble in the family. Maybe Edward left and Noriko had to raise Tedd on her own?

38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The fun think is that with how little informations we have about that universe, we can speculate almost limitless.

Yeah that's about all we can do.

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Or she did, but Adrian Raven was not teaching in Moperville. Maybe Arthur Arthur SUCCEED in deporting him to Russia, or at least annoyed him enough he decided to not stay in US.

Or Adrian never moved to the US or ended up in another city.

40 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

While it was Pandora who caused most of incidents which caused the magic reset, truth is that the situation was getting more and more volatile. It wouldn't be weird if the event with Pandora eradicating most of Aberrations happened in second life universe just few months after Ellen's second life ended.

Or she did it several hundred years earlier. I dunno, aside from the fact that Uryuoms and Seyunolus live alongside Humans, Ellen must not have experienced anything magic related in that life, it might have been worth mentioning. Ellen's memories of that went just beyond graduation which at the time she had those dreams was still over a year away and we're not even at that point in the main universe yet.

20 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What if the Second Life Tedd IS the Tedd who grew up to be Lord Tedd?

I doubt that's the case since the second life universe had Kaoli rather that Nioi, Nioi had to search for an AU that had both Ellen and a version of her duplicate in it for her plan to work.

Though now that I think about it, maybe Dan might have a Lord Tedd story arc where Lord Tedd does try to attack SL Tedd, Kaoli finds out and goes to warn Ellen and because of their shared memories of that universe, they feel obligated to travel there to protect SL Tedd?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

According to The Will of Magic, there is Approximately a one hundred percent chance that Severely Changing Magic would Catastrophically Backfire.

Approximately...

So there is a chance that Severely Changing Magic might work...

There is also chance that you would spontaneously be lifted feet above the ground and hold there ten minutes by Brownian motion. The chance is small, very small, but not zero.

(EDIT: Wait, it probably wasn't Brownian motion ... it must've been something quantum-based ...)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

When SL Ellen first met SL Tedd he didn't have a lot of self esteem, he believed he was no good, where would he get that from? It didn't appear that any of the other kids were picking on him (it was the first day of school after all and Ellen probably got to him before anyone else got any ideas) so maybe it was trouble in the family. Maybe Edward left and Noriko had to raise Tedd on her own?

Maybe noone left but Noriko was not careful and he heard how she complains about his lack of magic powers? Ok, this doesn't fit with the "Nanase is the seer" theory, but otherwise it could work.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Or Adrian never moved to the US or ended up in another city.

Obviously. But I tried the more interesting possibilities.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Or she did it several hundred years earlier.

Hmmm ... no. She was only able to make such stunt because of how old and powerful she was. She wouldn't be able to do it several hundred years earlier.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I dunno, aside from the fact that Uryuoms and Seyunolus live alongside Humans, Ellen must not have experienced anything magic related in that life, it might have been worth mentioning. Ellen's memories of that went just beyond graduation which at the time she had those dreams was still over a year away and we're not even at that point in the main universe yet.

I meant that Pandora doing it in different city delayed it for about a year so it happens after Ellen's graduation.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I doubt that's the case since the second life universe had Kaoli rather that Nioi, Nioi had to search for an AU that had both Ellen and a version of her duplicate in it for her plan to work.

Also, there is little causality problem with that.

But ... note that she likely searched for the universe starting from HER universe, not ours. In that way, it's possible that Lord Tedd universe is more similar to the second life one than to the main one ... wait. Not likely. Uryuom being in open makes unlikely General Shade Tail will be created. Unless Nioi is NOT from Lord Tedd universe ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Though now that I think about it, maybe Dan might have a Lord Tedd story arc where Lord Tedd does try to attack SL Tedd, Kaoli finds out and goes to warn Ellen and because of their shared memories of that universe, they feel obligated to travel there to protect SL Tedd?

Very likely.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

I guess the most interesting thing about the Second Life Universe is that Lord Tedd hadn't attacked Second Life Tedd (yet) though maybe Second Life Tedd doesn't pose a threat because he's not a seer or magic user.

Lord Tedd hadn't attacked as of the point the memories cut off. But unless the Second Life spell can search through universes and record memories without supervision, Nioi presumably visited the Second Life universe at some point after the end of the memories, and Lord Tedd might have attacked by that point. In fact, Nioi might have known about the Second Life universe because of Lord Tedd's attack.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Having read most of the surviving Keenspot reaction threads I can say that that theory has been around since Second Life was first introduced. The main problem with this theory is, as Scotty mentioned, that in Lord Tedd's universe Kaoli is a Dewitchery Duplicate of Nioi, while Second Life Kaoli is that world's version of Nioi, she just happened to be born pink and given a different name.