• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

NP Friday Feb 16, 2018

After the game, there wouldn't really be any reason - ... wait, Ashley will still be bigger than Rhoda.

Also, Susan is not losing time. With energize, that talk was likely too long for her.

... poor Rhoda's knees ... does the game protect against injury in such incidents? Well, it should. Imagine if it would be ELEPHANT and Heavy instead of just Heavy. Good we are playtesting it.

Well, that answers the question of if people can use their own transformation magic in-game. With that one detail Hanma has shown more foresight than the creator of the original Goonmanji game. (Incidentally, my head-canon is that the Shop-Troll was both the creator of the original Goonmanji game and Hanma's previous incarnation.)

And now to the real reason I'm making this post: Yay for starburst background in panel two, and smoke-and-starburst background in panel three! (Interesting there's so much smoke again. I thought the last time it was just because it was a genie transformation, but apparently not. Maybe Dan felt like trying out something new? Or maybe the board's overheating and starting to smoulder; I hope someone has a fire-extinguisher handy...)

18 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Well, that answers the question of if people can use their own transformation magic in-game. With that one detail Hanma has shown more foresight than the creator of the original Goonmanji game.

Actually, we don't know that. Grace is never enchanted, remember? The game might completely block magic interfering but be unable to do anything with Uryuom power.

22 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

(Incidentally, my head-canon is that the Shop-Troll was both the creator of the original Goonmanji game and Hanma's previous incarnation.)

I don't think so. The timeline doesn't match.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

After the game, there wouldn't really be any reason - ... wait, Ashley will still be bigger than Rhoda.

I think at that point Ashley was just looking for an excuse to have Rhoda shrink her, cus you know Ashley would want to.

43 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

(Incidentally, my head-canon is that the Shop-Troll was both the creator of the original Goonmanji game and Hanma's previous incarnation.)

That can't be true. Hanma resetted during the anime boom. No way the Shop-troll was her previous incarnation.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Well, that answers the question of if people can use their own transformation magic in-game.

Actually, we don't know that. Grace is never enchanted, remember? The game might completely block magic interfering but be unable to do anything with Uryuom power.

Huh, I'd forgotten about that. Now we need to get Grace to play the new game to see if it can block her transformations! (Actually, I wonder if any Immortal-devised magic could block an Uryuom-style transformation. She might be doomed to simply humoring games like this.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think so. The timeline doesn't match.

I suppose if the "fourteen year old" description in the first strip refers to how long it's been since her last reset (or she reset in the 90s, as was suggested in the commentary to this strip), and we assume that Goonmanji 1 and Oblivious Wand Waving are set around the same time as the story comics they were published alongside... But we do know that different universes can be out of sync, and I believe Goonmanji 1, Oblivious Wand Waving, and Goonmanji 2 are all set in different worlds.

Of course, all this is based on the assumption Immortals can travel between universes. If not, then I'd have to modify my theory to having the Shop Monster(s) be alternates of Hanma/her predecessor.

At any rate, all of these stories are non-canon, and continuity's always a bit funky between non-canon stories and comics. I don't expect to hear anything about either Goonmanji story when/if Hanma meets the main characters in canon.

24 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, that answers the question of if people can use their own transformation magic in-game.

Huh, I'd forgotten about that. Now we need to get Grace to play the new game to see if it can block her transformations! (Actually, I wonder if any Immortal-devised magic could block an Uryuom-style transformation. She might be doomed to simply humoring games like this.)

It's probably good that this isn't canon, I would think that the game would still be able transform Grace, she would want to play by the rules anyway and not shift out of anything, but at the same time she'd be getting a load of new forms to use outside the game.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think at that point Ashley was just looking for an excuse to have Rhoda shrink her, cus you know Ashley would want to.

Of course. Question was if Rhoda would want to.

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's probably good that this isn't canon, I would think that the game would still be able transform Grace, she would want to play by the rules anyway and not shift out of anything, but at the same time she'd be getting a load of new forms to use outside the game.

Assuming she wouldn't already have all of them from Tedd.

Just now, hkmaly said:

We know Tedd has a lot of cat forms, but we haven't seen any fox forms, or elephant, or honey badger have we? ;)

Also since there are clothing transformations, that should mean that Grace would bet able to get clothing morphs in this manner right? Pandora did tell Tedd that she'd need a spell that directly targets clothing to be able to give Grace the ability to morph her clothes.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

We know Tedd has a lot of cat forms, but we haven't seen any fox forms, or elephant, or honey badger have we? ;)

I think we did saw fox forms ... but probably not in canon. Nevertheless, it was implied he was giving all sorts of interesting forms to her, and I think fox wouldn't be so hard to appear on list, although it wasn't mentioned. Elephant and honey badger might be little more exotic ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also since there are clothing transformations, that should mean that Grace would bet able to get clothing morphs in this manner right? Pandora did tell Tedd that she'd need a spell that directly targets clothing to be able to give Grace the ability to morph her clothes.

No. Grace can never get clothing morphs herself and normal spells which include clothing don't work on her BECAUSE she can't morph clothing.

Only way Grace's clothes can be changed is if the spell directly targets clothes and JUST the clothes, no matter who is inside - it would probably need to work even on clothes on figurine. Then the CLOTHES will be enchanted, while GRACE still wouldn't.

It is actually good question if the clothing cards would work on her.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think we did saw fox forms ... but probably not in canon. Nevertheless, it was implied he was giving all sorts of interesting forms to her, and I think fox wouldn't be so hard to appear on list, although it wasn't mentioned. Elephant and honey badger might be little more exotic ...

Oh yeah, and webbed hands/toes might suggest that Tedd's made aquatic (eg: mermaid) or amphibious (eg: frog) forms.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No. Grace can never get clothing morphs herself and normal spells which include clothing don't work on her BECAUSE she can't morph clothing.

Only way Grace's clothes can be changed is if the spell directly targets clothes and JUST the clothes, no matter who is inside - it would probably need to work even on clothes on figurine. Then the CLOTHES will be enchanted, while GRACE still wouldn't.

I never saw Dan state anywhere that Grace could never get clothing morphs, I read Pandora's comment as giving Tedd a tip on how he can give Grace clothing morphs, not as a "sorry but she would need someone to zap her clothing for her when she wants to morph" and I don't think that'd be the case because of the issue of trying to sync a clothing spell with her morphs, if she morphs into Jeremy form there might still be a chance that she'd shred her shirt before the clothing spell does it's thing. Oh, there'd also be the issue of Grace needing to morph and Tedd or someone with a clothing spell not being around to zap her clothes.

37 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Oh yeah, and webbed hands/toes might suggest that Tedd's made aquatic (eg: mermaid) or amphibious (eg: frog) forms.

... or  amphibious mermaids.

41 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I never saw Dan state anywhere that Grace could never get clothing morphs, I read Pandora's comment as giving Tedd a tip on how he can give Grace clothing morphs, not as a "sorry but she would need someone to zap her clothing for her when she wants to morph" and I don't think that'd be the case because of the issue of trying to sync a clothing spell with her morphs, if she morphs into Jeremy form there might still be a chance that she'd shred her shirt before the clothing spell does it's thing. Oh, there'd also be the issue of Grace needing to morph and Tedd or someone with a clothing spell not being around to zap her clothes.

Read it again. You'll need a SPELL ...

I suppose it would either be a dynamic spell which is able to morph the clothing when Grace starts to morph, or, well, the reason she can't use watches is she can't power them. Maybe she would be able to use proper wand.

Of course, it WOULD be technically possible for Grace to morph say her hair into clothes ... but that would be different loophole. And it wouldn't help her change the clothes she already has - those are not part of her and therefore she can't morph them. Although Grace might like the idea that she's technically naked yet appears clothed ...

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, but the way Tedd had been trying in the past was using magic that targeted Grace herself, to others the enchantment radiated outward to affect clothing which obviously doesn't work for Grace because she doesn't get enchanted. BUT what if spells had a reversed effect, like targeting clothes radiates inward to the person wearing the clothes. In theory that might work on Grace, it'd be a chain effect, zap clothing with morph spell, clothing morph gets imprinted onto Grace.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... poor Rhoda's knees ... does the game protect against injury in such incidents? Well, it should. Imagine if it would be ELEPHANT and Heavy instead of just Heavy. Good we are playtesting it.

Nah. Elephant and Heavy are both Physical cards (note how Heavy cancels Small here). They don't stack.

(also insert some argument about human legs being strong enough to hold a person and human bodies in general being more durable than they look and blah blah blah)

Now if both of them were sitting on Rhoda's knees...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, but the way Tedd had been trying in the past was using magic that targeted Grace herself, to others the enchantment radiated outward to affect clothing which obviously doesn't work for Grace because she doesn't get enchanted. BUT what if spells had a reversed effect, like targeting clothes radiates inward to the person wearing the clothes. In theory that might work on Grace, it'd be a chain effect, zap clothing with morph spell, clothing morph gets imprinted onto Grace.

Sigh. It could work in transforming her, but it still wouldn't allow her to morph something which is not part of her. At least not based on how was Dan always explaining where the problem is.

Grace's morphing was always, even after being fixed with TF gun, closer to what is possible using physical laws. In fact, even the TF gun is "weaker" than spells. Case in point, Rhoda has spell which can shrink person more than TF gun can.

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

Nah. Elephant and Heavy are both Physical cards (note how Heavy cancels Small here). They don't stack.

Right. Elephant is not just animal, it's animal and physical.

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

(also insert some argument about human legs being strong enough to hold a person and human bodies in general being more durable than they look and blah blah blah)

Elephant Ashley probably weights more than human normally does, and sitting on knees doesn't put the weight on them correctly. Also, we don't necessary talk about fracture. Can be dislocation or some ligament tear. Or just big bruise. If the transformation is fast, it's effectively impact.

Oh look, normal sized (ish). Plus, cumulative times Catalina was shrunk: 2.

Rhoda's spaces look like a deer in headlights. This should be fun, I hope.

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

Now if both of them were sitting on Rhoda's knees...

No knee-d for those knee-s anymore. :demonicduck:

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It is actually good question if the clothing cards would work on {Grace}.

I would say that a clothing-only card would (as it would be an enchantment on the clothing), but a clothing-and-something card probably would not, or at most would function as a clothing-only card (the entirety of the card's effect would count as a single enchantment, so it would have to affect Grace and she's immune to enchantment).

Or we could go wildspec and say that a clothing-and- card aimed at Grace would bounce off and affect something or someone else.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It is actually good question if the clothing cards would work on {Grace}.

I would say that a clothing-only card would (as it would be an enchantment on the clothing), but a clothing-and-something card probably would not, or at most would function as a clothing-only card (the entirety of the card's effect would count as a single enchantment, so it would have to affect Grace and she's immune to enchantment).

ANY card is actually complex enchantment combining changing the look of target person, changing the look of their player piece AND additional effects on game. How THAT would work on Grace is hard to predict without actually seeing the "source code", in other words we would need seer to look at it.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Or we could go wildspec and say that a clothing-and- card aimed at Grace would bounce off and affect something or someone else.

Unlikely. The card will PROBABLY still work on her player piece. If it wouldn't, then the initial enchantment would fail as well, meaning Grace can't take part in the game at all.

Hmmmm ...

Come to think about it, it says Grace is not enchanted by TF gun and Ellen's magic. There is still possibility that other kind of enchantment can work on her, although Tedd's failure to make any suggests that all enchantments transforming her are going to be intercepted by her Uryuom power ...

... I remember reading something more about the mechanism but not sure where ...

I shudder to think what would have happened to Principal Verrückt if Susan had the Energized Honey Badger form back during the uniform crisis.

And as for Tedd having Honey Badger forms available?  Isn't Jeremy part Honey Badger?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And as for Tedd having Honey Badger forms available?  Isn't Jeremy part Honey Badger?

I'd say Jeremy was part hedgehog.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, hkmaly said:
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, ChronosCat said:

Well, that answers the question of if people can use their own transformation magic in-game. With that one detail Hanma has shown more foresight than the creator of the original Goonmanji game.

It's only enchantments based on Uryuom magic, such as the TFG and Ellen's beams, that never enchant Grace. Non-Uryuom magic should be able to enchant her just fine.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, hkmaly said:
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Don Edwards said:

Unlikely. The card will PROBABLY still work on her player piece. If it wouldn't, then the initial enchantment would fail as well, meaning Grace can't take part in the game at all.

Hmmmm ...

Come to think about it, it says Grace is not enchanted by TF gun and Ellen's magic. There is still possibility that other kind of enchantment can work on her, although Tedd's failure to make any suggests that all enchantments transforming her are going to be intercepted by her Uryuom power ...

... I remember reading something more about the mechanism but not sure where ...

When Pandora mentioned needing a spell that targets Grace's clothes, they were talking about a variant of Ellen's FV5 beam, which emulates uryuom magic. I think Tedd might also have been thinking about ways to give Grace the ability to change her clothing without needing to carry a wand or some such. Grace's uryuom power abilities let her do many of things that most enchantments would do for her anyway. She can assume forms with the benefits of pretty much any animal, change her muscle mass, change her over all size, change her body coloration, fly, speak with animals, and maybe more. With the exception of her clothes, there's not much that typical enchantments can offer Grace that she doesn't already have. Basically just pushing the extreme bounds, like getting even smaller or larger than she normally could. 

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:
On 2/17/2018 at 1:35 AM, hkmaly said:

It's only enchantments based on Uryuom magic, such as the TFG and Ellen's beams, that never enchant Grace. Non-Uryuom magic should be able to enchant her just fine.

Yeah I did realized it later.

It CAN still mean that transformation enchantments don't work on her, but we don't know it. Enchantments NOT based on transformations, however ...

I still think the game will be unable to prevent her from transforming because it wouldn't be able to affect Uryuom power.

When Pandora mentioned needing a spell that targets Grace's clothes, they were talking about a variant of Ellen's FV5 beam, which emulates uryuom magic. I think Tedd might also have been thinking about ways to give Grace the ability to change her clothing without needing to carry a wand or some such.

Tedd, yes. Pandora? She might've failed to realize WHY Tedd tries to make such spell.

Grace's uryuom power abilities let her do many of things that most enchantments would do for her anyway. She can assume forms with the benefits of pretty much any animal, change her muscle mass, change her over all size, change her body coloration, fly, speak with animals, and maybe more. With the exception of her clothes, there's not much that typical enchantments can offer Grace that she doesn't already have. Basically just pushing the extreme bounds, like getting even smaller or larger than she normally could. 

We rarely see those in comics, but there ARE other enchantments than transformations.

... actually, we never saw them in comics. Even Not-tengu spell, which's main point was to make people obey him, had transformation component. However, it must be possible to make that spell without transformation. Also, it's probably possible to make someone fly without transforming him to have wings (considering the wings are too small to really help anyway ; BTW Nanase's flying likely isn't enchantment, but ability to fly IS part of Cheerleadra spell, which is enchantment.)

Anyway: I think that Uryuom power is not able to affect clothes (that's why they developed special stretchy fabric as their work clothes instead) and that no spell will be able to teach Grace how to overcame this limitation.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Anyway: I think that Uryuom power is not able to affect clothes (that's why they developed special stretchy fabric as their work clothes instead) and that no spell will be able to teach Grace how to overcame this limitation.

The trick would be to get the clothes to morph themselves...perhaps a wand sewn into an inside seam with as much energy as Tedd can store in it and a single spell: Stretch/Shrink to fit the person wearing you.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It CAN still mean that transformation enchantments don't work on her, but we don't know it. Enchantments NOT based on transformations, however ...

There was the point in the original Goonmanji when everyone swapped bodies which wasn't a transformation since it didn't get undone when the game was over. The question in that case is does Grace have Uryuom Power in Elliot's body, or would Elliot have Uryuom Power in Grace's body?

As far as Goonmanji 2 goes though, anything mind bendy is considered a physical transformation, but I'm guessing Grace wouldn't gain them as morph options.