• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story, Monday February 19, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2462

Yep, Voltaire wanted magic to change so that he could mess with those who lost their spells.

And looks like there was a time when Fairies acted like gods or demigods and he wants to go back those ways. But how will he accomplish that now that Plan CM has failed?

3 minutes ago, partner555 said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2462

So Voltaire is mildly upset and knew Arthur was a seer.

... which makes more likely he was secretly "guiding" him to informations about reset.

And we have confirmation that he wanted magic reset, that it was to make it LESS public ... and that he underestimated number of seers even more than Arthur. Meaning, plan CM was not THAT complicated.

Also, not only he didn't predicted Pandora making Tedd feeling better, he didn't even NOTICED.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, not only he didn't predicted Pandora making Tedd feeling better, he didn't even NOTICED.

He also didn't know about Van, but he assumes that Tedd wasn't the one that convinced the WoM.

Also, @The Old Hack , could you please merge my thread into this? ;)

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:
44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He also didn't know about Van, but he assumes that Tedd wasn't the one that convinced the WoM.

To be fair, without Tedd Van would be unlikely to change decision of Will of Magic. Voltaire's assumption is simply wrong.

(Hmmm ... he also seem to not know about those two seers which found about their second purpose ... so he likely wasn't the one who told them.)

33 minutes ago, mlooney said:

While my hate level on Voltaire was fairly high to start with, he's really my number one hate target that's a fictional character right now.

Not mine. I know at least one worse ... wait. Two. Maybe three? Not sure ... Charlie is definitely more dangerous, but might not be more evil.

(Hmmm ... Charlie is rule lawyer. With Voltaire's power, he would rule the world - WITHOUT breaking "empower and guide". Snadhya, meanwhile, is more crazy than fairy of her age would be, and quite delusional ... she would avoid the reset by being convinced she's not doing anything wrong. Yeah, compared to them, Voltaire is lame, which is fitting considering he's just starter enemy for Tedd to train on before moving to actual thread.)

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And looks like there was a time when Fairies acted like gods or demigods and he wants to go back those ways. But how will he accomplish that now that Plan CM has failed?

Plan CM seems working for now. Pandora did something which is big enough Immortals may decide to change their laws.

My bet for the remaining part of plan CM: Pandora comes back, reduced but functional, in time for the debate on changing Immortal law. The fact that she refreshed rather than reset then somehow allows her to play an integral part in stopping Voltaire. Perhaps she'll even argue for a different set of changes that Voltaire hates even more than the current laws.

1 minute ago, Douglas said:

My bet for the remaining part of plan CM: Pandora comes back, reduced but functional, in time for the debate on changing Immortal law. The fact that she refreshed rather than reset then somehow allows her to play an integral part in stopping Voltaire. Perhaps she'll even argue for a different set of changes that Voltaire hates even more than the current laws.

Would require the law change taking longer than I would expect, but otherwise I like that idea.

Although I like the idea that Voltaire just completely misjudges other immortals more - I mean, that even without Pandora's argumentation those new rules will be something Voltaire wouldn't like.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Would require the law change taking longer than I would expect, but otherwise I like that idea.

Or Pandora coming back sooner. Or both. Maybe a refresh has a much shorter respawn time than a reset, possibly due to not having to start a new personality from scratch.

Nice to finally get an inside look at Voltaire's motivations, and see that they were more or less what most people seemed to be expecting.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

So Voltaire is mildly upset and knew Arthur was a seer.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... which makes more likely he was secretly "guiding" him to informations about reset.

I somehow didn't catch that, but you're right. I love it.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I'd like to remind the rest of you that I'm on the record that I think Voltaire had some contact with Arthur and is the reason Arthur knew a change in magic was coming and why.

Interesting thought.  I can see this as well.

19 minutes ago, Douglas said:

I really like this idea.  That would be such a blow to Voltaire.  Yeah, I really like this idea.

But my big scene I want to see, Voltaire learning that Tedd was the one who convinced Magic.  

Honestly, I wonder why 'Magic' would assume that it could stay hidden for any amount of time when there are beings such as Col. Sanders around, who're limited to manipulating their environment by 'guiding and empowering' people.

Even without the internet, that would be a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

23 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'd like to remind the rest of you that I'm on the record that I think Voltaire had some contact with Arthur and is the reason Arthur knew a change in magic was coming and why.

Yes, this is not first time we speak about it. Was it you who had the additional assumption of Arthur being aware he has contact with Voltaire?

6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Interesting thought.  I can see this as well.

I really like this idea.  That would be such a blow to Voltaire.  Yeah, I really like this idea.

But my big scene I want to see, Voltaire learning that Tedd was the one who convinced Magic.  

And him learning Pandora was the one who cheered Tedd up.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

To be fair, without Tedd Van would be unlikely to change decision of Will of Magic. Voltaire's assumption is simply wrong.

While Van didn't say much during the meeting to convince the WoM, without his presence Tedd might have been unable to focus. Even with the knowledge of Pandora's "refresh" Tedd might still have been too emotional to be able focus on what she needed to say. Whether or not Tedd recognized Van as family, there was probably still something about Van that gave Tedd the strength to keep going.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Plan CM seems working for now. Pandora did something which is big enough Immortals may decide to change their laws.

Maybe, Voltaire did seem to have more faith in Tedd doing what he needed Tedd to do though.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, Douglas said:

Although I like the idea that Voltaire just completely misjudges other immortals more - I mean, that even without Pandora's argumentation those new rules will be something Voltaire wouldn't like.

I kinda wonder if maybe Voltaire's forgotten about Elves being able to have children as well, he knows that Pandora broke Immortal law to protect her son, but Voltaire might not know about how humans with magic are descended from Immortal/Human interaction and might not have been watching to hear Pandora telling Adrian. How many Immortals would side with Voltaire if they knew that their descendants were the "Toys" he speaks of?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

How many Immortals would side with Voltaire if they knew that their descendants were the "Toys" he speaks of?

And, with Zeus there to hear Pandora talking about that, is obvious that the information will play in the Imortal law revision.

3 hours ago, Entropy said:

And, with Zeus there to hear Pandora talking about that, is obvious that the information will play in the Imortal law revision.

Yeah, Zeus figured it out before hearing it straight from Pandora just based on Pandora's actions and she confirmed it. We do have Zeus saying that the current laws are stupid, but he might be for a different kind of revision than Voltaire wants. While Voltaire wants to be able to play with Humans like toys, Zeus might argue for living with Humans on more equal footing.

Back on Voltaire's plan though, he knew about Tedd's second purpose, if he wanted magic to change, his best bet would have been to reveal the second purpose to Tedd, making her ineligible for the meeting. that would have left Arthur and Van to convinced the WoM to change or not and Van probably wouldn't have been able make a convincing argument for minimal changes.  So there must have been another reason why Voltaire want Tedd to be angry at the WoM, but still be eligible. What else would an angry Tedd do aside from threaten magic to the point of guaranteeing a severe change?

Edit: So I asked about on reddit and Dan responded with:

So it's possible that Voltaire knew about the second purpose, but didn't know that there was an eligibility clause in it. Which would mean he wouldn't have been responsible for the other 2 Seers becoming ineligible.

For a change, I think I'll start with the cheering: Yay for epic starburst background in panel two! And yay for mini-starburst in panel four.

Moving on to slightly more serious discussion, the fact that we've cut away from the Seer convention rather than having Tedd and Van's cheering immediately followed up by the revelation that they messed up lessens my feeling of doom somewhat. The fact that Voltaire isn't happy with the relative lack of change also makes me a bit more confident this was the better option. (And it's very satisfying to see Voltaire upset about his plans not working out, even if he still thinks part of his plan will still work.)

I still wonder, however, what sort of changes Will of Magic thought were necessary for magic to go public, and whether they're actually in people's best interest. For instance, if one of Will's goals is to limit the number of people who can use magic, we're probably going to see it get a lot harder for people to become magic users.

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or he was counting on Tedd being upset about Pandora's reset, and wasn't expecting the combination of Pandora refreshing instead, and Will of Magic telling Tedd about the refresh.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Or he was counting on Tedd being upset about Pandora's reset, and wasn't expecting the combination of Pandora refreshing instead, and Will of Magic telling Tedd about the refresh.

Defintelly, saying that Teddy was upset before hearing about the refresh is a understatement....

I am so disappointed that Voltaire was mildly inconvenienced in his quest for power over the mortals,

Now that Voltaire has revealed his plan through the soliloquy, will he now discover that the other immortals are aware of his plan?

38 minutes ago, Entropy said:

Defintelly, saying that Teddy was upset before hearing about the refresh is a understatement....

I don't think Voltaire was aware that Pandora visited Tedd anymore, Voltaire's reaction suggests that he expected Tedd to go into the meeting angry about the idea of magic flipping the table over but Pandora obviously calmed Tedd down from that, heck making Tedd think about Lord Tedd probably did a lot to put things into perspective and calm Tedd. The WoM mentioning Pandora's reset and calling her a threat certainly had the potential to get Tedd back into the state Voltaire wanted, but the fact that the WoM also told Tedd about the refresh and that Pandora should still truly remember Tedd once again took that away from Voltaire.

So, what happens to Voltaire now? Well, the answer always comes down to "whatever Dan wants to happen," but I'm going to spin out some possibilities:

• Voltaire disappears again to be brought back as a continuing adversary.  Dan gets however how time he wants to figure out how to use him again.
  • Voltaire gets de-fanged by losing most or all of his powers. This could already have been done by the Will if it has jurisdiction over Immortal magic, or it might be done by the hundreds of Immortals who are likely to be upset that it is Voltaire's machinations that provoked Pandora into forcing them to reveal themselves and kill Aberrations whether they wanted to or not. Being forcibly reset would do all this, but if it's complete, Voltaire is essentially a new person, and it would be unfair to punish him further for what he did when he isn't who he was any more.
  • Voltaire gets ripped apart. The problem with this is Pandora is going to be weaker when she comes back, and even if she remembers quite a lot, she might not have fingered Voltaire before she reset. (Good chance that figuring out Voltaire was behind the attack on Adrian could be part of a future storyline.)
  • Voltaire gets turned into a talking cat. We've only had one talking cat so far (Ellen).