• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story: Wed Feb 21, 2018

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

And seeing as her original beam was based on the TFG's beam, Ellen has yet another reason not to zap people outside their circle of friends with it...

23 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Perhaps one day young children will be routinely deliberately exposed to a variety of (harmless) spells to build up their resistance, much like children get a number of different vaccinations these days.

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Ellen actually has good reason to zap people outside their circle, but even better reason to not forget to zap them back.

(I suspect that getting useful resistance takes long, but maybe at least to get them to pre-not-reset level and make less likely they get transformed permanently?)

23 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

If the TFG spells are not truly time-based, then I don't think we've seen any spells that are. This doesn't rule out there being some in the future, but they probably won't be common

I think we saw two types of spells: resistance based and "as long as powered" based. Of course, it's possible those "as long as powered" do have some inertia ... or WILL have inertia now.

23 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

This also means that for any transformation designed with the old system in mind, or which isn't specifically designed to wear off, the average non-magic-user might as well be permanently transformed, as I get the impression it's not likely to wear off before it's becomes permanent. DGB (and/or new magical law enforcement and rescue groups) are going to have their hands full.

I doubt this. Even with lowered resistance, spells which would last hour under old system (and there seem to be lot of those) are unlikely to become permanent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe. However, he didn't made up those arguments. It was all true and trying to hide it from magic wouldn't solve anything.

A severe change would still have a chance of backfiring, yes, they might have still come to that conclusion as well so then it would be a matter of which would be better off, risk having a severe change backfiring and whatever consequences that would have, or open the gates to whatever unknowns had been kept hidden. Or maybe Tedd could have asked if there could be alternatives that would satisfy both sides. It just seems like these are two extremes that are both undesirable and no middle ground feels wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe. However, he didn't made up those arguments. It was all true and trying to hide it from magic wouldn't solve anything.

A severe change would still have a chance of backfiring, yes, they might have still come to that conclusion as well so then it would be a matter of which would be better off, risk having a severe change backfiring and whatever consequences that would have

Will of magic estimated the chance of backfiring to 100%. I agree.

Consequences are known: another conference in month, where thousand seers wouldn't have problem convincing magic that another reset wouldn't help ... and it will stop limiting magic just month later with more active magic users.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Or maybe Tedd could have asked if there could be alternatives that would satisfy both sides. It just seems like these are two extremes that are both undesirable and no middle ground feels wrong.

There are just two options: either Will of Magic will try to limit how public magic is, or it gives up on it.

The "all seers will be informed" is apparently autonomous function which can't be stopped. Limiting magic so much not even thousand seers will be able to make it public afterwards is probably also impossible.

Not doing anything at all might have best results, but obviously would only work until the number of magic users goes over limit.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is this the point where the kid comes up with the solution all the adults should have seen in the first place?

You have some idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:
2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

 ...And seeing as her original beam was based on the TFG's beam, Ellen has yet another reason not to zap people outside their circle of friends with it...

...

Perhaps one day young children will be routinely deliberately exposed to a variety of (harmless) spells to build up their resistance, much like children get a number of different vaccinations these days.

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Ellen actually has good reason to zap people outside their circle, but even better reason to not forget to zap them back.

(I suspect that getting useful resistance takes long, but maybe at least to get them to pre-not-reset level and make less likely they get transformed permanently?)

I somehow left out an important detail. What I should have said was "Ellen has yet another reason not to zap people who she might not be in a position to transform back and who she isn't sure can change back without her help."

Or maybe I should have just gone with the joke I was originally going to make: "Even with the masquerade ending, Ellen still can't run around zapping random strangers with her FV5 beam."

At any rate, you raise an interesting point about Ellen helping to raise people's magic resistance, but rather than her FV5 beams I think for that she'd be better off using a transformation that wouldn't be as big of an issue if things went wrong and it did become permanent (for instance, blonde hair). Also, she'll definitely want to make use of the low energy version of her beams (which I had forgotten about, and which in light of the changes to magic is a quite fortuitous development of her powers...).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

At any rate, you raise an interesting point about Ellen helping to raise people's magic resistance, but rather than her FV5 beams I think for that she'd be better off using a transformation that wouldn't be as big of an issue if things went wrong and it did become permanent (for instance, blonde hair). Also, she'll definitely want to make use of the low energy version of her beams (which I had forgotten about, and which in light of the changes to magic is a quite fortuitous development of her powers...).

Low energy version of FV5 applied to women should be "safe enough". Of course, not good idea trying it on men.

Note that Ellen might still be able to cast FV5 faster than other beams, which may be useful if she wants to transform lot of people. On the other hand, perhaps she would use something else in such case ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

1) Get magic into public now, with relatively low number of people knowing about it, although the number will rise.

2) Get magic into public next month, with much bigger number of people knowing about it and still rising.

And with the additional delight of system 1 coming back into play again with all its wands and devices working, so you will have TWO competing systems of magic PLUS an unknown but thankfully smaller number of devices of even older systems functioning anew. Anyone want to see if you can actually control the winds with Kusanagi, the Imperial Japanese sword?

This way is better. At least you have smaller numbers and will not have two systems of magic spreading at the same time. It may not seem ideal but it is what the Gooniverse is stuck with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

So are we headed for Dresden Files, Shadowrun, or Harry Potter with this?

My money is on Dresden Files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mlooney said:
11 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

So are we headed for Dresden Files, Shadowrun, or Harry Potter with this?

My money is on Dresden Files.

I'm betting on Shadowrun myself.  Harry Potter and Dresden Files seem to have some version of the Masquerade in place.  Magic is about to be revealed, by some seer on Youtube and it will eventually go viral.  All we need now are some black  market cybernetic enhancements.

Perhaps more accurately, we are about to see something closer Magus' universe or the Griffin's universe.  Hmm, perhaps like Shadowrun, with the Masquerade broken, we might see return of magical monsters, or a more public return.  And while no living human might know of those previous systems of magic, other immortal or long-lived beings might.  Who knows, a helpful dragon might decide to teach Tedd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

So are we headed for Dresden Files, Shadowrun, or Harry Potter with this?

Let''s see ... Dresden Files magic interferes with technology. Elliot's cheerleadra can merge with smartphone.

Shadowrun have multiple races and cyberware, but beware, cyberware lowers esence (magic). EGS have one race and closest thing to cyberware is cheerleadra's smartphone, which doesn't seem to hurt Elliot's magic in any way. And Shadowrun's awakening was quite big event, in EGS magic changed minimally before going public.

Harry Potter has all but best wizards needing wands to cast spells, and everyone is learning the same spells. EGS wand is device for casting spell you don't know and only wizards, which are rare among magic users, can learn spell from someone else.

I would say EGS goes perpendicular to all of those.

51 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Harry Potter and Dresden Files seem to have some version of the Masquerade in place.

EGS world also have some version of Masquerade ... is failing, but still in place for now.

52 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Perhaps more accurately, we are about to see something closer Magus' universe or the Griffin's universe. 

I think Magus's universe have magic working differently. The Griffin's one, meanwhile? It's other half of the same world, with same magic ... it makes sense that after Will of Magic stopped limiting magic, the rules will be same on both halves. Doesn't mean EGS half of world get it's own griffins, unless Andrea and Tara would like Moperville so much they will stay ...

54 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

And while no living human might know of those previous systems of magic, other immortal or long-lived beings might.  Who knows, a helpful dragon might decide to teach Tedd.

I think we can safely assume Pandora was the oldest fairy and she didn't remembered it (at least not directly). Mantle of Heka likely does, true.

However, I'm not sure the only non-summoned dragon we saw survived being so close to Pandora.

55 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't think Shadowrun is a very good match for Magus' world; I don't think it has any dragons running for President (and winning!)

Didn't he already won?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

So maybe a better question is, are we headed for My Little Pony, Dragonball, or Nanoha.

Yes.

 

I mean, I don't know about Nanoha, but Dan's used plenty of MLP and Dragonball references in the comic already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wanderingmagus said:

So maybe a better question is, are we headed for My Little Pony, Dragonball, or Nanoha.

... well, Tedd didn't created any device consuming cartridges with compressed magic ... yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 8:17 PM, ChronosCat said:

<snip/>

Perhaps one day young children will be routinely deliberately exposed to a variety of (harmless) spells to build up their resistance, much like children get a number of different vaccinations these days.

Tedd could produce one-day transformation wands with pointed ears, cat ears, cat whiskers, puppy tail, green skin, etc. (just one small transformation per wand) for vaccination purposes....we could have play groups with every grade-school child showing a different trivial transformation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haylo said:

Tedd could produce one-day transformation wands with pointed ears, cat ears, cat whiskers, puppy tail, green skin, etc. (just one small transformation per wand) for vaccination purposes....we could have play groups with every grade-school child showing a different trivial transformation.

More educational would be one-day gender and race transformation wands..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

More educational would be one-day gender and race transformation wands..

At one point in the Illuminatus! trilogy, a guy is on LSD and watching everyone around him change color. Not just normal human skin colors either. It occurs to him that a lot of societal problems would go away if people DID change color.

Of course, this wasn't an original concept.

And it was revisited somewhat more recently, as well.
fv01381.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Haylo said:

Tedd could produce one-day transformation wands with pointed ears, cat ears, cat whiskers, puppy tail, green skin, etc. (just one small transformation per wand) for vaccination purposes....we could have play groups with every grade-school child showing a different trivial transformation.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

More educational would be one-day gender and race transformation wands..

Considering the likely required amount of "vaccination", I would say do BOTH. Using wands just for education brings risk that children will get aversion to them, which probably doesn't work nearly as well as more exposition. Also, if he wouldn't, how long do you think the toy industry will need to find someone who will? I bet it would be much simpler than turning mainframe computer into handheld toy.

37 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Not just normal human skin colors either. It occurs to him that a lot of societal problems would go away if people DID change color.

... or that. Wands which changes your skin color to blue or green would be popular AND educational.

... also, it will finally allow to separate the "race" issue from social issue. Because while there is no absolute difference between "those groups" as qwerty called it, there is quite obvious (luckily getting smaller) correlation between skin color on one side and poverty and low education on other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I suspect they would quickly be outlawed. Because, you know, they would be harmful to the children. Sigh.

Maybe a few decades ago.  Maybe even one decade ago.  Now, at least in USA and EU, I think they'd be accepted by the majority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now