• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Monday February 26, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2465

It's so obvious kid can see it ... well, Arthur would also realize it if given time, he was just shocked by it.

Also, "guilt's a waste of time" ... sounds too philosophical for him, did his mother told him that? Perhaps related to some guilt she feels but likes to pretend she doesn't?

Also, Arthur offered work to Tedd. Took him much longer than I expected. Seriously, thousand seers is more that they expected, but it's still rare enough to employ any seer before someone else does. Not speaking about the fact that if he would be reading Edward's reports, he should've already realized Tedd's potential.

Note: It's not just ticking clocks. If there are some issues in current magic system, DGB is already aware of them and can handle them. Unknown magic system would have flaws which would get longer to notice than just learning how to cast the spells.

59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, "guilt's a waste of time" ... sounds too philosophical for him, did his mother told him that? Perhaps related to some guilt she feels but likes to pretend she doesn't?

There is a difference between regret and guilt. I have to admit, I have at long last seen a motivation for Tedd's mother to keep her distance from him that is not based on pure elitism. She is a monster hunter. A well-known and feared one. The obvious way for her enemies to target her would be through a son with no defences against magic. By relocating to another continent and never having contact with him, she protects him. At the same time this explains how Van already knows some magic. She would have wished him aware of magic at an early age so he would have some defence against enemies at least and so have trained him. Given her being sufficiently pragmatic and ruthless, both qualities that her duties and family tradition would have reinforced, leaving Tedd would seem the logical and necessary move for his own protection.

And if so, I am certain she regrets it. But she cannot let herself feel guilt, because that might weaken her resolve. Hence that dictum that Van just used, perhaps?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2465

It's so obvious kid can see it ... well, Arthur would also realize it if given time, he was just shocked by it.

Also, Arthur offered work to Tedd. Took him much longer than I expected. Seriously, thousand seers is more that they expected, but it's still rare enough to employ any seer before someone else does. Not speaking about the fact that if he would be reading Edward's reports, he should've already realized Tedd's potential.

Note: It's not just ticking clocks. If there are some issues in current magic system, DGB is already aware of them and can handle them. Unknown magic system would have flaws which would get longer to notice than just learning how to cast the spells.

I think Edward hasn't caught on to what Tedd's full potential has really amounted to (or has outright chosen to ignore most of what goes on with his wacky kid in favor of just sending in bland summaries of those activities)...otherwise, he might have figured out that he was making wands. From that perspective, the reports would look like just some kid who couldn't use magic doing completely mundane things with existing magical devices/systems. Compared to all the ridiculous shit that Tedd's friends get up to, he would probably hardly register at all as a person of interest in the reports.

9 minutes ago, weirdee said:

I think Edward hasn't caught on to what Tedd's full potential has really amounted to (or has outright chosen to ignore most of what goes on with his wacky kid in favor of just sending in bland summaries of those activities)...otherwise, he might have figured out that he was making wands. From that perspective, the reports would look like just some kid who couldn't use magic doing completely mundane things with existing magical devices/systems.

Yeah, I suppose that's how Dan intended it ... I just find that hard to believe. Tedd gave Edward the watches and told him they're powered by magic and needs to be tested if working outside Moperville magic anomaly ... HOW could Edward interpreted it without realizing that what Tedd is doing is noteworthy if not groundbreaking?

... I want to see his face when he realizes this. I know, it would be covered by his palms, if not desk of table, but still.600?cb=20131001135318

Just now, hkmaly said:

Yeah, I suppose that's how Dan intended it ... I just find that hard to believe. Tedd gave Edward the watches and told him they're powered by magic and needs to be tested if working outside Moperville magic anomaly ... HOW could Edward interpreted it without realizing that what Tedd is doing is noteworthy if not groundbreaking?

... I want to see his face when he realizes this. I know, it would be covered by his palms, if not table, but still.

I think that he was mistakenly assuming that Tedd had just been making the watches by using the gauntlet to enchant things with copies of the TF gun's spells (but in Earth magic instead), instead of, y'know, reassembling the fabric of reality with his mind. Tedd also made the same mistake...and it sounded like the more reasonable assumption to the point where nobody would guess the latter if they had no idea of it existing.

The other option is that Edward knew full well what Tedd was doing, but kept it a secret, even from Tedd, to protect Tedd from government and/or bad guys and/or keep Tedd from suffering the self-esteem hit he took when Pandora told him the glove wasn't what he thought it was.

Edward seems convinced that Tedd is much more fragile than she really is. He has always tried too hard to protect Tedd from emotional stress, from not wanting to tell him about his mother to worrying that using the TFG to alter his sex would somehow be harmful to him. It's done out of love, a desire to protect Tedd, but it's no less harmful than some of what Pandora has done to her son....

Boy, I am having none of that sass anymore! But hey, spice of life. R&D is still spicier really.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

So that's why Van is there. To simplify things for the adults.

Because adults could/should never think childishly, but child-like is still possible.

Arthur Arthur is nothing if not pragmatic. For all that he seemed like a bad guy now and then, his ultimate goal has always been the preservation of the human race as it stands, through whatever means he found necessary. Plus, giving Tedd a laboratory run and funded by the DGB means that HE can personally supervise the research, giving him authority over her and putting him in a position to threaten or seize her research if he felt it necessary.

1 hour ago, weirdee said:

I think that he was mistakenly assuming that Tedd had just been making the watches by using the gauntlet to enchant things with copies of the TF gun's spells (but in Earth magic instead), instead of, y'know, reassembling the fabric of reality with his mind. Tedd also made the same mistake...and it sounded like the more reasonable assumption to the point where nobody would guess the latter if they had no idea of it existing.

Hmmm, probably the most likely option all things considered. Edward just didn't realise his child was making wands.

12 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

Arthur Arthur is nothing if not pragmatic. For all that he seemed like a bad guy now and then, his ultimate goal has always been the preservation of the human race as it stands, through whatever means he found necessary. Plus, giving Tedd a laboratory run and funded by the DGB means that HE can personally supervise the research, giving him authority over her and putting him in a position to threaten or seize her research if he felt it necessary.

Why would he ever do that last bit? Tedd's trustworthy with this sort of thing, and has Edward to vouch for him on this.

One day on a train in 1935, future US President Gerald Ford was offered NFL contracts from  Curly Lambeau of the Packers and Potsy Clark of the Lions.  He declined them both and took a job as an assistant coach at Yale to work his way through law school.

Tedd, this is your train ride.  Arthur is giving you a legitimate offer.  Or do you want to keep working on your own as you strive for Lord Tedd status?

This sounds like it might actually go through. So, what happens when Tedd requisitions a human guinea pig test subject (and with Sarah already in DGB's records, does she have the inside track on that opening)?

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

There is a difference between regret and guilt. I have to admit, I have at long last seen a motivation for Tedd's mother to keep her distance from him that is not based on pure elitism. She is a monster hunter. A well-known and feared one. The obvious way for her enemies to target her would be through a son with no defences against magic. By relocating to another continent and never having contact with him, she protects him. At the same time this explains how Van already knows some magic. She would have wished him aware of magic at an early age so he would have some defence against enemies at least and so have trained him. Given her being sufficiently pragmatic and ruthless, both qualities that her duties and family tradition would have reinforced, leaving Tedd would seem the logical and necessary move for his own protection.

Van's a seer as well though, if Noriko is his mother, it's likely she would have used a magic analysis wand on him after he was born as well, either Van wasn't scared by the wand like Tedd was, or the wand wasn't noisy like Edward's or maybe, she must still have had some concern about Van's ability to defend himself when she first tried to teach him to cast spells and he couldn't.

However, the guilt could have come if Van gave the same results as Tedd, but later on she realized just how ever Van could resist enchantments and maybe figured out that could be the case with Tedd as well. That would make her feel guilty about the way she treated Tedd as defenseless and useless as an apprentice without giving him a chance, she'd also believe that it's too late to go back an try to reconcile things since she had started a new family.

For the most part I do agree with that reasoning for her leaving Tedd in the first place, but it was also probably the biggest conclusion jump someone could do.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... I want to see his face when he realizes this. I know, it would be covered by his palms, if not desk of table, but still.

Let's see, failure to realize the wand was being resisted, failure to realize Tedd could see magic, failure to realize that Tedd was empowering the watches and not some fancy technodohicky he made, failure to realized Tedd's genderfluidity...

I don't think we have enough palms.

4 hours ago, weirdee said:

If Edward has been reporting this though, I would presume that DGB would want a copy of the gauntlet, or at least Tedd's notes for it, and having tried to reverse-engineer it, failed and chalked it up to Tedd being a kid wanting attention or some such.  Still, working watches, from a gauntlet.  Use the gauntlet on something quality that is able to store a charge.  Wand-maker.  How is that not something that should have grabbed Edward's attention?   If Edward didn't know anything about Tedd, perhaps it's because he has a blind spot (too much drama  has happened already to question what Tedd is) or he is too busy with something else (heading off some coming Apocalypse).

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

The other option is that Edward knew full well what Tedd was doing, but kept it a secret, even from Tedd, to protect Tedd from government and/or bad guys and/or keep Tedd from suffering the self-esteem hit he took when Pandora told him the glove wasn't what he thought it was.

Edward seems convinced that Tedd is much more fragile than she really is. He has always tried too hard to protect Tedd from emotional stress, from not wanting to tell him about his mother to worrying that using the TFG to alter his sex would somehow be harmful to him. It's done out of love, a desire to protect Tedd, but it's no less harmful than some of what Pandora has done to her son....

If so, perhaps it was the fragility, or perhaps he didn't want Tedd to turn into a Lord Tedd.  In this instance, worrying about your child becoming a supervillain is a legitimate fear.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

One day on a train in 1935, future US President Gerald Ford was offered NFL contracts from  Curly Lambeau of the Packers and Potsy Clark of the Lions.  He declined them both and took a job as an assistant coach at Yale to work his way through law school.

Tedd, this is your train ride.  Arthur is giving you a legitimate offer.  Or do you want to keep working on your own as you strive for Lord Tedd status?

Or there's always the private sector.  I'm sure Samsung is looking for someone to head up their Galaxy Transformation Wand research section.  ;)

Assuming Van really is Van's mother, how would she know Van has magic? He's a seer, which means he can't cast spells unless he's been granted them by another magic user, or made a wand?  Would she use another magic-detection wand? She has to  have known she traumatized Tedd with one.

But suppose Noriko found out Van has magic. Who else did she tell about it? If she told Edward, why hasn't he told Tedd?

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm. Sounds a bit like another mom who doesn't want her magically-gifted child to know the whole story, doesn't it?

5 hours ago, partner555 said:

So that's why Van is there. To simplify things for the adults.

There is a reason any good Evil Overlord wants an average five-year-old on their council of advisors.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't think we have enough palms.

Maybe we could visit some nice place in the subtropics where they have a lot of them growing. :danshiftyeyes:

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

For the most part I do agree with that reasoning for her leaving Tedd in the first place, but it was also probably the biggest conclusion jump someone could do.

I suspect she had help, in a manner of speaking. Remember that Adrian Raven blames himself for the breakup between Noriko and Edward. He could have fed that pragmatic and magic-professional side of her, unwittingly goading her into making the extreme decision of separating herself from Edward and Tedd.

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Adrian visited Japan before the Tokugawa Shogunate began isolating the country? Because Nanase and Noriko come from a long line of monster hunters.,..

He wouldn't have had to. Japan probably had monsters all of its own. It certainly did so if its mythological tradition is to be believed. I really doubt that the Japanese would have needed a Great White Savior to establish a monster hunting tradition of their own.

In fact, I hear they are pretty good at being traditionalist. That might just be a rumour, of course. :danshiftyeyes:

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Adrian visited Japan before the Tokugawa Shogunate began isolating the country? Because Nanase and Noriko come from a long line of monster hunters.,..

Nanase and Noriko are most likely not descended from Adrian. Nanase doesn't have the inherent magical talent of the Raven family, magical weapons, which persisted even in the long line of descent to Susan (if Adrian is correct in that her line of descent comes from when he was in his actual 20s)

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

I really doubt that the Japanese would have needed a Great White Savior to establish a monster hunting tradition of their own.

Actually what I had in mind was a wyrd explanation behind Nanase and Susan getting into what seemed like an unlikely relationship, even if they don't have the same face like Susan, Diane, Diane's dad, the blonde Susan caught her dad with, and Adrian. And,  yes, I have seen the Honest Trailer for Avatar.

"That sounds bad."  

"Yes, people would stop using magic."

Is anyone else finding it maddening that no one is asking a follow-up question, like, why would that be bad?  Has this been addressed previously?

Just now, Nayl said:

"That sounds bad."  

"Yes, people would stop using magic."

Is anyone else finding it maddening that no one is asking a follow-up question, like, why would that be bad?  Has this been addressed previously?

I believe I said something about the Will of Magic maybe needing the use of magic to exist.

1 minute ago, Nayl said:

People here believe it has to do with the Will of Magic's viewpoint. It wants magic to be used. If people stopped using it, it would be out of a job. :icon_eek:

51 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

If Edward has been reporting this though, I would presume that DGB would want a copy of the gauntlet

I don't think Edward know's about the Tedd's Gauntlet, consider the fact that Edward's seen the screencap of Lord Tedd with his gauntlet clearly visible, if Edward saw that Tedd also made a similar Gauntlet, I would expect him to be quite concerned about it and make some effort to intervene.

10 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

People here believe it has to do with the Will of Magic's viewpoint. It wants magic to be used. If people stopped using it, it would be out of a job. :icon_eek:

It might also be because it'd be impossible to cut humans off of magic completely, considering their ancestry to Fairies. The WoM doesn't have any say in who get's to be a seer either. People believe that the WoM has an agenda, but I think it's only working within it's own limits.