• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Zorua

How to Play: Goomanji

A fan-made game manual for the Goomanji game as depicted in the EGS:NP arc, Goomanji 2, with revisions added for any future Goomanji arcs.

This post will be updated as more rules are revealed. If I made an error, feel free to correct me and I'll revise this post accordingly.

Please note that if Dan clarifies a rule or card on Twitter or Facebook or wherever, I won't be able to see it as I don't follow him outside the comic itself. Someone will have to relay that info.

GOOMANJI

BOARD

The board consists of 24 spaces. Every corner is marked with a "3". Between the corners are five spaces: three "1" spaces and 2 "2" spaces. Each side is marked 3-1-2-1-2-1-3.
Each 2 Space is connected to the 2 Space on the opposite side of the nearest corner by a "tunnel".
Two 1 Spaces in the center of opposite sides are connected by a "river".

GAME PIECES

• 1 Game Board
  • 40 Cards:
    • 8 1-Type Animal Transformation Cards
    • 8 1-Type Physical Transformation Cards
    • 8 1-Type Clothing Transformation Cards
    • 3 2-Type Animal/Physical Transformation Cards
    • 3 2-Type Animal/Clothing Transformation Cards
    • 3 2-Type Physical/Clothing Transformation Cards
    • 3 3-Type Animal/Physical/Clothing Transformation Cards
    • 2 0-Type Reset Cards
    • 2 0-Type Swap Cards
  • 4 Player Pieces (Yellow x1, Orange x1, Blue x1, Green x1)
  • 32 Property Tokens (Yellow x8, Orange x8, Blue x8, Green x8)
  • 2 6-sided Dice of different colors

Pieces used during playtesting not included.

SETUP

Players place their pieces on a 3-Space where, moving clockwise, it takes nine spaces to reach the 1-Space that marks the "river".
Players roll dice to determine who goes first. Player turn order goes clockwise around the board.
Players draw three cards to form their starting hands.

Players move clockwise around the board.

TURN

A player's turn consists of three steps:

1. Roll the dice and move the indicated number of spaces.
  2. Purchasing and Transformation
  3. If you have less than 3 cards in your hand at the end of your turn, draw to three.

Certain card effects can modify each step and add additional steps.

SCORING and VICTORY

Each space on the board has a number. If a player purchases or steals a space, they gain that number of points. If a space is stolen from them, they lose that number of points.
The first player to reach 8 points wins.

PURCHASING and TRANSFORMATION

When a player lands on a space, they have the option to purchase the space.
Spaces are purchased by playing Transformation Cards.

Each Transformation Card has up to three types: Animal, Physical, and Clothing.
A player can have one of each type of transformation applied to them at any given moment.
A space is purchased when the player that lands on it plays transformation cards that have enough unique types that match or exceed the number shown on the space.

When you land on a space:

• If the space is unowned, you can purchase it by transforming yourself.
  • If the space is unowned and you rolled doubles to reach it, you can purchase it by transforming another player of your choosing.
  • If the space is owned by another player, you can steal it from them by transforming them. The transformations you use must match the types of the transformations the other player currently has on them in addition to matching the number.
  • If the space is owned by another player and you do not steal it, they can choose to transform you instead. This will reduce the cards they can use during their own turn, however.
  • If you own the space, you can remove all transformations from yourself.

In order to transform someone (including yourself) who is already transformed, the transformations used must either be of a type the target is not currently transformed by, or match the types of the transformations they are already under.

• 1-Type Transformations can be overwritten by any transformation of the same type.
  • 2-Type Transformations can be overwritten by any combination of 1-Types that combined share the types of the 2-Type; by any other 2-Type Transformation regardless of types; and by any 3-Type transformation.
  • 3-Type Transformations can be overwritten by any combination of cards that have all three types between them.

The transformation cards affecting each player are kept with that player, separate from their hand. When a transformation is removed, a card is discarded, or a 0-Type card is used, the relevant card(s) is placed in a discard pile. When most cards have been drawn from the deck, the discard pile is shuffled and placed at the bottom of the deck.
Dan: "Discarded cards eventually get shuffled in..." [Mon, Dec 11, 2017]

A possible revision may take effect in future versions: If a player has ended two consecutive turns in the same form, they must draw a card and immediately play it to transform themselves, replacing the current forms applied to them with the result of the drawn card."
Dan: "I think a rule for future versions of this (...) is that if you've ended two of your turns in the same form, you draw a card that you must then immediately use to transform yourself, ignoring normal restrictions on what can replace what. The intent of the game is for forms to be brief, and Rhoda has had that form FOREVERRRRRRR. It would also mean that, at most, you'd have to deal having a 3-type card form for two of your turns." [Fri, Jan 19, 2018]

EFFECTS

Most cards have additional effects that alter player movement, purchasing ability, and cards drawn.

• Attract: If a player has Attract, other players move towards them, even if it means they move counterclockwise. If a player moving towards the player they're Attracted to reaches the space the Attract player is on but still has spaces left in their roll, they continue moving past the Attract player. If there is equal reason to move in either direction, players move clockwise.
    • Attract (All): All players are affected.
    • Attract (Dog): Only players with the Dog modifier are affected
  • Repel: If a player has Repel, other players move away from them, even if it means they move counterclockwise. If a player moving away from the Repel player reaches the exact opposite side of the board from the Repel player but still has spaces left in their movement roll, they continue moving past the opposite point. If a player starts their turn on the space the Repel player is on, they default to moving counterclockwise.
    • Repel (All): All players are affected.
    • Repel (Cat): Only players with the Cat modifier are affected
  • Blockage [unofficial name]: Players cannot move past a Blockage without a size modifier, even if they have spaces remaining in their dice roll.
  • Big: Big players create Blockages and can move past Blockages.
  • Small: Small players can move past Blockages.

Rhoda: "Um, I'm on the same space as Susan [who has Repel (All)], so... Opposite of normal? Gotcha." [Fri, Jan 5, 2018]
Dan: "The rule of thumb I decided on was that moving the 'wrong' way (counterclockwise) wins by default if there's a conflict (thereby giving the exception to what's normal more opportunity to happen). As such, whether Attract or Repel would win out would depend on player's positions on the board, which means a player could be drawn to a form one turn, and be repelled the next." [Wed, Jan 3, 2018]
Dan: "Incidentally, if a cat form was in play, it would be repelled by Rhoda's dog form (move away from Rhoda), and Rhoda would be attracted to the cat form (move towards that player)." [Fri, Nov 24, 2017]

CARDS

There are 40 cards, 36 of which are Transformation Cards. The remaining four are two Reset cards and two Swap cards.

(due to the rules not being entirely defined, only effects directly stated in the comic or commentary will be listed until clarified)

1-Type Animal Cards

1. Squirrel
    • Add one to your movement roll.
    • Dan: "Squirrels are known for getting places they want to get to..." [Thu, Nov 16, 2017]
    • Susan: "I roll a three, but using my squirrel girl ability, I add one to my roll, making it four!" [Wed, Dec 13, 2017]
    • Dan: "...if you can add (or subtract) one from your roll..." [Wed, Dec 13, 2017]
  1. Fox
  2. Skunk
    • Repel (All): All players move away from you.
  1. Bunny
  2. Honey Badger
    • You are unaffected by both Attract and Repel.
    • Hanma: "Honey Badger doesn't give a carp about attract or repel, and is immune to both." [Thu, Feb 1, 2018]
  1. .
  2. .
  3. .

1-Type Physical Cards

1. Busty
    • Your minimum end-of-turn hand size is increased to 4. If you have less than 4 cards in your hand at the end of your turn, draw until you have 4.
    • Rhoda: "And with Busty, I draw until I have four cards at the end of my turn!" [Fri, Nov 10, 2017]
  1. Ditzy
    • You can use multiple cards of the same type as if they were different types. If you do, roll to see which among the same-type cards takes effect.
    • Susan: "I'm only using it because it lets me use multiple cards of the same type as though they were different types, the card, or cards, actually sticking chosen at random!" [Thu, Nov 16, 2017]
    • Dan: "During actual playtesting, I settled this by assigning each card to a six-sided die, and going with whichever rolled highest." [Wed, Dec 13, 2017]
  1. Tall
  2. Small
    • Small: Can pass blockages
  1. Energize
    • Draw 1 card before rolling for movement.
    • Hanma: "Energize means Susan gets to draw an additional card before she moves!" [Thu, Feb 1, 2018]
  1. Hippy
    • Creates a Blockage.
    • Dan: "Funnily enough, 'Hippy' happens to have the same blocking ability, but doesn't make the player 'big' (all it has is 'may block regularly sized players')." [Sun, Feb 11, 2018]
  1. Heavy
    • Subtract 2 from your movement roll
  2. .

1-Type Clothing Cards

1. Sensei
  2. Furry
    • No gameplay effect
    • Dan: "Furry is an oddity of a clothing card. Basically, it has no effect that matters to gameplay..." [Wed, Dec 13, 2017]
  1. Nurse
  2. Magician
    • If someone tries to transform you, discard 1 card to force them to transform themselves.
    • Hanma: "Magician means if someone tries to transform her, she can discard a card to make them transform themselves instead!" [Thu, Feb 1, 2018]
  1. Genie
    • At the start of any other player's turn, they can ask you to transform them. You must then choose one or more cards to transform them, replacing all current transformations on them. You may then redraw that number of cards.
  2. .
  3. .
  4. Police
    • Due to a misprint, it is treated like a 2-Type Physical/Clothing card in initial playtesting.
    • Hanma: "Um... I originally wanted Police to be a physical-clothing card, but it looks like I changed everything but its type by mistake, so... It is a physical-clothing card, but I meant to make it just clothing..." [Wed, Jan 10, 2018]

2-Type Animal/Physical Cards

1. Cowgirl
    • Ashley: "+1 ATTRACT FOR EACH TURN IT'S IN PLAY!"
    • +1 Attract for each turn it's in play (max: 9)
    • Attract (All): All players move towards you.
    • Ashley and Hanma: "Is there a limit to the, um... attract boosts?" "I never thought it'd come up, but every effect like that caps at nine. Single digits only." [Fri, Dec 8, 2017]
  1. Elephant
    • Big: Creates a Blockage. Can pass Blockages.
    • Dan: "Elephant is "Big", and has the ability that makes it so the play can choose to block the movement of regularly sized players." [Sun, Feb 11, 2018]
  1. Cheetah

2-Type Animal/Clothing Cards

1. Golden Cheerleader
    • Dog: Has Repel (Cat). All players with the Cat modifier move away from you.
    • At the end of your turn, the player with the highest Attract value draws a card. If there is a tie (including if no players have Attract), roll to determine who amongst the tied players draws.
  1. Saint Bernard
    • Dan: "The Saint Bernard card has an effect involving the option to remove a 1-type form if on the same space" "...everyone having the option to remove 1-type cards if on the same space as Saint Bernard." [Wed, Dec 6, 2017]
  1. Poodle

2-Type Physical/Clothing Cards

1. Kid
    • You are unaffected by Attract.
    • You cannot have the Attract modifier.
    • When rolling for movement, choose the die with the lowest value and move that number of spaces.
    • Dan: "The Kid card cancels attract effects. A player with kid ignores, and cannot have, the attract ability." [Mon, Jan 1, 2018]
    • Susan: "Kid makes it so I only use the lowest number I roll for movement, so... A five and a one. I move one." [Mon, Jan 8, 2018]
  1. Shrink
  2. Lifeguard

3-Type Animal/Physical/Clothing Cards

1. Mouse
    • When rolling for movement, divide the result by two (rounded down) and move that number of spaces.
    • Small: Can sneak past Blockages.
    • Catalina: "UM, FORE! You know, the golf "fore", not... I rolled a six, not four. Which means I move three because Mouse..." [Mon, Jan 22, 2018]
    • Dan: "Mouse makes the player move half as many spaces as they normally would, rounded down." [Mon, Jan 22, 2018]
    • Dan: "...and Mouse also counted as 'Small'." [Sun, Feb 11, 2018]
  1. Pony
  2. Kitty Pet
    • Your movement is 6; rolling is unnecessary
    • Rhoda: "Oh. Right. Pet Kitty means I move six spaces no matter what." [Mon, March 12, 2018]

0-Type Cards

1. Reset
    • Remove all transformations you are currently under.
  1. Reset
    • Remove all transformations you are currently under.
  1. Swap
    • You swap all of your transformations with those of another player.
    • You can purchase spaces with your new transformations so long as they meet the usual requirements.
  1. Swap
    • You swap all of your transformations with those of another player.
    • You can purchase spaces with your new transformations so long as they meet the usual requirements.
Edited by Zorua
Lifeguard added

4 hours ago, Zorua said:

The transformations you use must match the types of the transformations the other player currently has on them in addition to matching the number.

One doesn't HAVE to match types, if stealing a 1 space and the person you're stealing from has a 1-type form already, you can either replace that type if that's what you got for cards, or add another type to that person's form. The only instances where one would need to match types is when stealing a space from someone under the effect of a 2-type or 3-type card form, though if stealing a 1 space from a person with a 2-type form there's a chance one could use a 1-type card that isn't covered by the 2-type card, I don't believe Catalina had to use the Genie clothing card when she used the Elephant physical/animal card on Ashley, since Ashley's form was the combination of 3 1type cards, but Catalina probably thought about what the Furry clothing card might have done to Elephant and felt it had to go. (I have a feeling Dan might not have wanted the task of having to draw that form either).

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

One doesn't HAVE to match types, if stealing a 1 space and the person you're stealing from has a 1-type form already, you can either replace that type if that's what you got for cards, or add another type to that person's form. The only instances where one would need to match types is when stealing a space from someone under the effect of a 2-type or 3-type card form, though if stealing a 1 space from a person with a 2-type form there's a chance one could use a 1-type card that isn't covered by the 2-type card, I don't believe Catalina had to use the Genie clothing card when she used the Elephant physical/animal card on Ashley, since Ashley's form was the combination of 3 1type cards, but Catalina probably thought about what the Furry clothing card might have done to Elephant and felt it had to go. (I have a feeling Dan might not have wanted the task of having to draw that form either).

9 hours ago, Zorua said:

In order to transform someone (including yourself) who is already transformed, the transformations used must either be of a type the target is not currently transformed by, or match the types of the transformations they are already under.

How's that?

So based on today's NP, Catalina was able to buy a 2 space by transforming Ashley with a 2-type card that was physical and clothing. Ashley was under the effects of an animal-physical card for cheetah and clothing card for genie so the shrink card was able to be applied and Ashley ended up losing the animal type in the replacement of the physical type. So card types don't have to match at all apparently and someone probably could use a 2-type card on someone under a 3-type card effect when buying or stealing a 2 space.

The game designer in me wants to point out that you are trying to get the rules for a game by watching a play test session.

This can lead to so fairly large  holes in your understanding of the rules.

Oh, God, can it lead to holes.   Holes big enough to drive a 1 megaton liner through.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The game designer in me wants to point out that you are trying to get the rules for a game by watching a play test session.

Oh, God, can it lead to holes.   Holes big enough to drive a 1 megaton liner through.

I think at the moment this is mainly to get a general sense of how the game is played and the various mechanics currently in place and from there we can tweak whatever makes most sense.

Think of it as going from Alpha to Beta. ;)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

So based on today's NP, Catalina was able to buy a 2 space by transforming Ashley with a 2-type card that was physical and clothing. Ashley was under the effects of an animal-physical card for cheetah and clothing card for genie so the shrink card was able to be applied and Ashley ended up losing the animal type in the replacement of the physical type. So card types don't have to match at all apparently and someone probably could use a 2-type card on someone under a 3-type card effect when buying or stealing a 2 space.

A 2-type can replace any other 2-type and any 1-type of the same type. This is the first instance of it doing both at the same time. Previously they used a 2-type that matched the types of the existing 2-type due to the "any 2-type can replace any other 2-type" rule being added mid-playtesting, while replacing the 1-type with a matching 1-type as usual.

2-types cannot replace 3-types.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

On 2/27/2018 at 4:20 AM, Zorua said:

A fan-made game manual for the Goomanji game as depicted in the EGS:NP arc, Goomanji 2, with revisions added for any future Goomanji arcs.

Emphasis mine.

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

A 2-type can replace any other 2-type and any 1-type of the same type. This is the first instance of it doing both at the same time. Previously they used a 2-type that matched the types of the existing 2-type due to the "any 2-type can replace any other 2-type" rule being added mid-playtesting, while replacing the 1-type with a matching 1-type as usual.

2-types cannot replace 3-types.

As stated here, for anyone who wants to read it in Dan's (and Hanma's) words.