• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Wednesday Feb 28 2018

Sooo ... cat being pet by dog?

There may be people who don't consider acting like a cat acceptable side effect. They will need to find other seer researcher than Tedd to fix that, probably.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There may be people who don't consider acting like a cat acceptable side effect. They will need to find other seer researcher than Tedd to fix that, probably.

There are plenty of examples that suggest that Rhoda wouldn't be an anomaly:

Just now, Scotty said:

There are plenty of examples that suggest that Rhoda wouldn't be an anomaly:

People are posting those examples BECAUSE it's anomaly.

Of course she wouldn't be UNIQUE. But considering the game is supposed to explicitly contain rules about cat and dogs ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Of course she wouldn't be UNIQUE. But considering the game is supposed to explicitly contain rules about cat and dogs ...

I would think that many people believe it's an anomaly, but the number of cases is a clear contradiction to that belief.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would think that many people believe it's an anomaly, but the number of cases is a clear contradiction to that belief.

Number of cases doesn't prove anything by itself. You need to compare to number of cases where cats and dogs DON'T go along well.

Well, in my experience as a vet of, hmm, almost twenty years?  Yup.  Wow.  Where was I?  Oh, yes, cats and dogs.  I have known plenty of cats and dogs who are friendly to each other, and most of the rest, living in the same household, will at least tolerate each other.  Cats who are afraid of strange dogs aren't suspicious of and afraid of strange dogs, they're suspicious of anyone new and unfamiliar, dog, cat, human, whatever.

In my experience as well cats and dogs who know each other well tend to get along fine (much more consistently than cats who know each other, in fact).

Still, with the "cats vs dogs" elements in the game mechanics, I was still half expecting some sort of "animal-instinct" based friction between the two of them. ...Of course, it's not too late for that to happen; I notice Catalina's hand hasn't even touched Rhoda yet in the final panel and I wonder if that means the touching moment is about to be interrupted. (I hope I'm wrong, as the final panel is cute, and seeing them properly cuddling would be even cuter.)

Yay for starburst background in panel one!

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Mass hysteria? (Again?) Then again, no rain.

By not introducing the idea that cats and dogs do not get along well, well, harmony. And less Garfield and Odie.^_^

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why do pets seem to enjoy it so much?

They are not burdened with as much responsibility as you are. Anyone who is responsible for not only the Sun coming up in the morning but also a vast kingdom stretching along the Nile does tend to be under a not insignificant amount of stress.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Anyone who is responsible for not only the Sun coming up in the morning but also a vast kingdom stretching along the Nile does tend to be under a not insignificant amount of stress.

(Imagined the kingdom yawning and stretching when woken up ...)

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Being randomly touched, even with friendly intentions, bothers me a lot.

Evolution, or more exactly breeding. The ones who didn't weren't considered good pets.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Core personality problem here.

Dogs tend to enjoy any attention they can get from their lead pack members (i.e. their human "masters"), with few limitations on what form that attention takes. Still, I've known several dogs who were indifferent to petting beyond the attention element, and one who actually doesn't like being petted.

Cats on the other hand enjoy physical contact (and rubbing their scent all over things) but only on their own terms. Most cats I know are much more enthusiastic about petting if it was their idea, and I even knew a cat once that would occasionally ask to be petted, but if someone tried to pet her without an invitation she'd get angry.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Evolution, or more exactly breeding. The ones who didn't weren't considered good pets.

Animals enjoy contact with other animals, not just humans.  Wild or domesticated, they'll rub up against their fellows, fall asleep side by side, groom each other, nest in vast flocks or herds, travel in smaller packs or pods or prides.  Birds preen each others' feathers, mammals lick eack others' fur.  Even some reptiles and fish are good mates and/or parents.

Some contact, like grooming feathers into place or unmatting fur, serves a concrete purpose, but some seems to be all about building social/family bonds or just plain pleasure.  Bonobos, tied with chimps as our closest cousins, use sex to diffuse tensions as well as procreation and enjoyment, irrespective of the sex/age/etc of those involved.

I do not think I am an idiot.  And I believe I had good educational opportunities.

But I can not recall ever hearing about the Bonobos and their casual-recreational sex habits until I was out of college.

I know it is difficult to discuss sex in a classroom situation.  But there had to be some point this subject could have been relevant.

28 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I do not think I am an idiot.  And I believe I had good educational opportunities.

But I can not recall ever hearing about the Bonobos and their casual-recreational sex habits until I was out of college.

I know it is difficult to discuss sex in a classroom situation.  But there had to be some point this subject could have been relevant.

Are you trying to imply you don't trust that information? It's even on wikipedia. Yes, I believe this information is deliberately not mentioned in standard education. Not that it would be only interesting trivia about animal sex which is not discussed.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We are talking about an educational system saddled with well-meaning parents who wanted to ban a dictionary because it carried the definition of 'oral sex.' It is amazing how that can distort what is allowed to go into it and come out of it. *sigh*

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm pretty sure it was covered in an early anthropology class, and I'm positive it would have been explored in the Primatology class I took.  I suspect whether you encountered it would depend on what sort of classes you signed up for.

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We are talking about an educational system saddled with well-meaning parents who wanted to ban a dictionary because it carried the definition of 'oral sex.' It is amazing how that can distort what is allowed to go into it and come out of it. *sigh*

Not every class has such issues.  I went to a nerd school, and our sex ed class started with the teacher passing around some ancient phallic artifacts, and carried on in similar spirit.  It's even possible bonobos were mentioned, although I don't actually recall one way or the other. It was taught by the actual Biology teacher, which I'm sure helped re quality of education.

18 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Not every class has such issues.  I went to a nerd school, and our sex ed class started with the teacher passing around some ancient phallic artifacts, and carried on in similar spirit.  It's even possible bonobos were mentioned, although I don't actually recall one way or the other. It was taught by the actual Biology teacher, which I'm sure helped re quality of education.

#notallschools is all very nice but doesn't solve the problem of the schools that are very backwards and in some subjects are worse than nothing. Still, I am glad to hear that you had better teachers than that.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:53 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Animals enjoy contact with other animals, not just humans.

Selectively, of course. Contact between foxes and mice tends to be more popular among foxes than among mice.

54 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Selectively, of course. Contact between foxes and mice tends to be more popular among foxes than among mice.

There's also symbionts who get real sad if they lose their partners from their list of Contacts.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

There's also symbionts who get real sad if they lose their partners from their list of Contacts.

Constantly revising one's Mouse Contact List is just the price one pays for being a fox...

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Constantly revising one's Mouse Contact List is just the price one pays for being a fox...

Yeah, it can be a real bitch when you've gone through the fifth ergonomic mouse in less than a week. I wouldn't be surprised if more foxes didn't switch to trackballs.