• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Friday March 02, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2467

Ok. So we will need to wait after TEDD will get that information about her family ... not surprised.

... also, are we sure Tedd is not able to directly observe that magic did indeed changed a little? :)

Finally, spells still working won't tell us anything, but I WOULD be interested in what exactly are news reporting about Pandora and her world-wide spell.

And it looks like we're jumping to Magus and finding out if he is successful in not only getting his own body again, but whether or not he's able to deal with Sirleck and making sure Elliot, Ellen and Ashley are safe.

14 minutes ago, partner555 said:

That would probably be covered in the epilogue Dan mentioned in the commentary.

Dan mentioned having a chunk that dealt with the aftermath of all this, that might include Carol finally getting the scoop she's been after, but I think it might also deal with how Diane, Susan and Adrian are taking things once their recent revelations sink in and for Adrian in particular, how he copes with his mother's reset and that matter of removing the dam. Tedd may also need to talk to Edward about all of this and I wonder if she'll try to contact Adrian as soon as possible. I wonder how Adrian would react to opening his door Saturday and seeing Tedd standing there.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And it looks like we're jumping to Magus and finding out if he is successful in not only getting his own body again, but whether or not he's able to deal with Sirleck and making sure Elliot, Ellen and Ashley are safe.

Probably.

Dan mentioned having a chunk that dealt with the aftermath of all this, that might include Carol finally getting the scoop she's been after

That WOULD be way to make the "news" part of it having personal element.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

but I think it might also deal with how Diane, Susan and Adrian are taking things once their recent revelations sink in and for Adrian in particular, how he copes with his mother's reset and that matter of removing the dam.

Yup.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Tedd may also need to talk to Edward about all of this

She definitely should. Now, how much will she tell him? Will she try to focus on the job offer from Arthur? Or will she also talk about gender identity, Pandora or Noriko?

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

and I wonder if she'll try to contact Adrian as soon as possible. I wonder how Adrian would react to opening his door Saturday and seeing Tedd standing there.

... why would Adrian be opening door on Saturday? ... wait, wouldn't Adrian be able to sense Tedd now when Tedd is full of magic?

Maybe Tedd will consult this with Grace first.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

I think an epilogue is more of a final chapter of a story which gives a the audience an idea of what happened after the conclusion of the main action. Good examples would be the final paragraph of "A Christmas Carol" and the "where are they nows" at the end of Animal House. Surely you remember Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky? The Q&A's don't really fit that concept; they're more like a mix of Author's Notes and jokes.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Those are definitely the things that should be addressed before the end of this arc and before whatever the epilogue turns out to be. The least complicated ways to deal with this would be for Magus, Elliot, and Ashley deal with Sirleck. I think this is where that ocular power that Elliot read about in his spellbook but didn't or couldn't really explain will be used; its something that Sirleck isn't likely to know about. I didn't mention Ellen because she's going to be knocked out as soon as Sirleck leaves her body to take over Magus.

There's also the possibility that defeating Sirleck will destroy the Dewitchery Diamond, and the possibility that Sirleck will succeed in taking over Magus. Either outcome would end with Ellen, and Ashley safe because Magus won't harm them and Sirleck doesn't want to make powerful enemies.

Helen and Demetrius can't be shadowing Elliot because they Sirleck is still alive; he would be dead if any Immortal was shadowing Elliot.

That basically leaves Nanase to be looking for Ellen, and the plot would have to get much more complicated for Nanase to intervene in time.

Now I'm assuming the minimum satisfactory resolution here is that Ellen and Ashley come out safe and free by the end of the arc. If Magus and Elliot remain merged, obviously that could call for an entire future arc which could involve going to another universe to find another Dewitchery Diamond, or finding a way to enchant a new one. Guess who's the only character we know of who can enchant a Dewitchery Diamond? Anyway, a situation that woudn't fit in an epilogue. Tedd would be likely to give either quest priority over other magic work.

If Sirleck does run away with Magus' body, none of the Circle of Eight will care as much, although Ashley and Elliot would feel obligated. Pandora also might, if she remembers the regret she felt for treating Magus so badly. But if Magus gets saved from this, it could wait, and he could even be rid of Sirleck off-screen; Terra would certainly help if she could.

Personally, I'd like the epilogue not to go too far into the future. I want to have a full treatment of the adjustments in the relationships between Susan, Diane, Adrian, Pandora--and Lucy. Even if Lucy isn't crushing on Diane, Diane's friendship is important to Lucy and Lucy has been a good friend of Diane's. Dare I say it? I love Lucy.

I just realised that Voltaire is not even nearly as smart as he thought he was. He had hoped that magic's change would do away with the current crop of magicians. But if it had indeed changed, the doomsday scenario Tedd and the other seers foresaw would have happened and magic would have had to become permanent shortly after -- with two systems loose instead of one. So Voltaire's master plan to render humanity helpless by traumatising Tedd would, had it worked, instead armed the mortals with a hell of a lot bigger arsenal.

32 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I just realised that Voltaire is not even nearly as smart as he thought he was.

Isn't it peculiar that Voltaire was so sure Seers weren't as rare as he thought? How did he even know Tedd was a Seer? Now Voltaire not being as smart as he thought he was could explain it, although adding laziness and overconfidence to the mix would be a better recipe. But Pandora didn't know Tedd was a Seer until Heka told her, and she was inhumanly smart when she put her mind to it.

Here's an alternative theory: Immortals (formerly known as "Fairies") don't have an inborn ability to detect Seers. Voltaire must have learned about Seers from some source that wasn't an Immortal like himself. If this source is human in origin, at least a few of Voltaire's "toys" may have some very, very sharp knives in their toybox because they have some magic spells the Immortals don't.

I wonder if Edward has one of those knives?

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She definitely should. Now, how much will she tell him? Will she try to focus on the job offer from Arthur? Or will she also talk about gender identity, Pandora or Noriko?

Hopefully all of it, but there is possibly a chance Dan might leave something out for a later story but Tedd's involvement with Magic becoming public and getting a job offer should definitely be a priority since there's a good chance that Edward would be hearing from Arthur at some point in the near future.

I would think that mentioning Noriko might go along with revealing to Edward that Tedd's a seer though since Tedd believes their marriage broke down over her resisting the magic analysis wand.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... why would Adrian be opening door on Saturday? ... wait, wouldn't Adrian be able to sense Tedd now when Tedd is full of magic?

Maybe Tedd will consult this with Grace first.

For one, I'm pretty sure it's still Friday and not too late either so there's a good chance that Tedd would probably talk to Edward first, Grace is probably at the comic shop so that's out as is Justin, Sarah should still be on her "not a date" with Sam and of course Susan, Elliot and Ellen are out for obvious reasons, don't know where Nanase is though, she's gotta be trying to find out why Ellen hasn't shown up yet or actively searching for her after Charlotte was like "what peeping Tom? there's been no peeping Toms around the campus."

Actually would probably need to ask Grace where Adrian lives, sure it's just a 15 minute walk from their place but it's likely not the same street, unless Grace already told Tedd back in Death Sentence. But either way, Tedd knows who Adrian is now beyond just being Grace's history teacher and the man that tried to protect Ellen, it would make sense for Tedd to want to go talk to Adrian about being her godfather and also talk about Pandora's visit and her reset/refresh.

Also it wouldn't be the first time someone showed up at another person's house unexpectedly after having an experience while sleeping.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I just realised that Voltaire is not even nearly as smart as he thought he was. He had hoped that magic's change would do away with the current crop of magicians. But if it had indeed changed, the doomsday scenario Tedd and the other seers foresaw would have happened and magic would have had to become permanent shortly after -- with two systems loose instead of one. So Voltaire's master plan to render humanity helpless by traumatising Tedd would, had it worked, instead armed the mortals with a hell of a lot bigger arsenal.

Series of events: 1000 seers now know magic exists and how it works=> at least one releases info that goes viral => assuming Immortals change the rules in some fashion that gives Voltaire what he wants => Voltaire tries to act all Demigodly and play with humanity => UN, NATO or some other government group creates a task force => military recruits wizards.

Some possible additional elements; seers recruited to make weapons to fight "evil" immortals, task force organizes teams of people to relocate and study newly awakened ancient artifacts using forgotten systems of magic (bonus: one or more of those artifacts have spells that affect immortals).

Have I forgotten anything?  Possibly.  But yeah, Voltaire may be smart in some ways, but his lust for power and to dominate have made him a big poopyhead dumbbutt.  I really prefer that his ambitions be stopped before all of this; he is opposed effectively in getting immortals to change their laws to his favor and/or he trips over his vow not to try and kill Elliot (still fails but the attempt is all we need) and gets infinite OCD.  Still, it would be really cool to see his face when he stares down a regiment of wizards armed with artifacts that target immortals and realizes he caused this.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

9 hours ago, partner555 said:

Dan mentioned having a chunk that dealt with the aftermath of all this, that might include Carol finally getting the scoop she's been after, but I think it might also deal with how Diane, Susan and Adrian are taking things once their recent revelations sink in and for Adrian in particular, how he copes with his mother's reset and that matter of removing the dam. Tedd may also need to talk to Edward about all of this and I wonder if she'll try to contact Adrian as soon as possible. I wonder how Adrian would react to opening his door Saturday and seeing Tedd standing there.

I wonder if dealing with Magus and Sirleck will be mostly another chapter; perhaps the next scene or in the epilogue of this chapter will just move that story along a it.  There seems to be a lot more story left with those two.

Also, as for aftermath, the scenes I am look forward to the most:  Tedd talking with Edward and Tedd meeting with Adrian (especially if Tedd can tell Adrian about Pandora resetting).

I think the Verres home is the only place in EGS we know has a basement. It's the only place we've ever seen the Main Eight all together in one place at the same time, which was (of course) during Grace's birthday party. Four out of the five known Immortals have been there (Jerry/Zeus has never been shown there).

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also it wouldn't be the first time someone showed up at another person's house unexpectedly after having an experience while sleeping.

Quite true, and interesting, but exactly how relevant is that to Nanase figuring out where Ellen is, which is a long drive away?

Actually would probably need to ask Grace where Adrian lives

It's not clear to me here who "Actually" needs to find out where Adrian lives or why. The biggest reason I said that having Ashley, Magus, and/or Elliot resolve their predicament before anyone else gets involved is that as far as we know of no one else (except Sirleck) who knows that they are missing. It's likely that Nanase is going to make enquiries or maybe already has by the time Tedd woke up but Dan hasn't shown us any proof that anyone else knows that Ellen, or Elliot, or Ashley aren't where they're expected to be or can't be reached. 

I'm pretty sure it's still Friday

I'm pretty sure too since Tedd's on the basement couch, alone,  and no one has put a blanket over him. I'm also pretty sure that Tedd's going to check the news soon on TV or on the web or by calling friends, or by going upstairs to ask his dad if he thinks his Dad is at home--which Edward might not be by this point even if he was just before Tedd went to sleep. I don't think Tedd will choose to call Elliot first of all because Elliot's having Ashley over, and [keep your filthy thoughts to yourself and don't speculate on what dirty thoughts Tedd might be having.]

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... also, are we sure Tedd is not able to directly observe that magic did indeed changed a little? :)

That's how I interpreted the comic until I read the commentary.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Quite true, and interesting, but exactly how relevant is that to Nanase figuring out where Ellen is, which is a long drive away?

It isn't, it's strictly relevant to Tedd's part of the story, Tedd doesn't even know about Magus and Sirleck and the fact that they have possessed Elliot and Ellen, Nanase doesn't know whats going on with Ellen either aside from the fact that she apparently lied about the whole peeping tom mystery. Nanase has her parent's car though since she was supposed to meet Ellen, who said Elliot would drop her off, at the college or Charlotte's. But even then Nanase wouldn't know where to look for Ellen.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

All I can say about this comic is really just the last panel make me cry.

Don't worry, your waifu will be back again. ;)

Nanase doesn't know whats going on with Ellen either aside from the fact that she apparently lied about the whole peeping tom mystery.

Likely, but not for certain. Charlotte might have actually put something on her forum about an inhuman peeping Tom--Ellen could have even been looking at that forum just before Sirleck sneaked up behind her and possessed her. And then Sirleck, being the a smart Aberration, could have used that factoid to make her lie more credible. Nanase could still be talking with Charlotte now about Ellen taking so long to show up and not being able to get Ellen on their phones.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Likely, but not for certain. Charlotte might have actually put something on her forum about an inhuman peeping Tom--Ellen could have even been looking at that forum just before Sirleck sneaked up behind her and possessed her. And then Sirleck, being the a smart Aberration, could have used that factoid to make her lie more credible. Nanase could still be talking with Charlotte now about Ellen taking so long to show up and not being able to get Ellen on their phones.

I dunno, maybe, but for all we know Sirleck might have made the forum post himself. Either way Ellen not showing up should raise suspicion about the credibility of what she told Nanase, and Charlotte could still come out and say she doesn't know why someone would post that since she hadn't heard of any real reports from anyone and Charlotte would likely have done some preliminary info gathering before Nanase and Ellen arrived.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

What?! Tedd's cheating on Grace?!  ;)

Nono, I'm talking about Pandora being mlooney's waifu.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Pandora's more of a milfu. Or, more politely, 熟女 【じゅくじょ, jukujo】 (n) attractive mature lady

Edited by Tom Sewell
Show off that I know how to find Jim Breen's WWWJDIC

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I dunno, maybe, but for all we know Sirleck might have made the forum post himself. Either way Ellen not showing up should raise suspicion about the credibility of what she told Nanase, and Charlotte could still come out and say she doesn't know why someone would post that since she hadn't heard of any real reports from anyone and Charlotte would likely have done some preliminary info gathering before Nanase and Ellen arrived.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora's more of a milfu. Or, more politely, 熟女 【じゅくじょ, jukujo】 (n) attractive mature lady

Harumph.  Waifu.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Don't worry, your waifu will be back again.

That's not why.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Helen and Demetrius can't be shadowing Elliot because they Sirleck is still alive; he would be dead if any Immortal was shadowing Elliot.

Unless they are following from distance ... which doesn't seem likely.

16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

In that page with Voltaire, commentary directly says that if he would know hoe the reset would backfire he would also be nettled. And in comics, he's surprised there are more than two seers. So he DEFINITELY doesn't know the true number.

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

But Pandora didn't know Tedd was a Seer until Heka told her, and she was inhumanly smart when she put her mind to it.

Pandora doesn't knew what seer is, but noticed the signs. Voltaire might've remembered what a seer is, so when he saw the same signs he realized Tedd is seer.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
12 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty sure it's still Friday

I'm pretty sure too since Tedd's on the basement couch, alone,  and no one has put a blanket over him. I'm also pretty sure that Tedd's going to check the news soon on TV or on the web or by calling friends, or by going upstairs to ask his dad if he thinks his Dad is at home--which Edward might not be by this point even if he was just before Tedd went to sleep.

Yes.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't think Tedd will choose to call Elliot first of all because Elliot's having Ashley over, and [keep your filthy thoughts to yourself and don't speculate on what dirty thoughts Tedd might be having.]

Too late, it's already canon. And yes, Tedd is unlikely to call Elliot because 1) he wouldn't want to disturb him on date 2) why would he want to speak with Elliot anyway?

6 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

While Nanase didn't seem to verify the post, Sirleck couldn't rely on it. So yes, I would assume he made the post himself, and maybe even orchestrated some sighting. And Charlotte doesn't know the school and all people in it SO well she would be sure noone saw anything just because she only hear about it on forum.

That basically leaves Nanase to be looking for Ellen, and the plot would have to get much more complicated for Nanase to intervene in time.

... so I would assume that Nanase wouldn't arrive soon enough to see any action, if she would be able to find them at all.

Those are definitely the things that should be addressed before the end of this arc and before whatever the epilogue turns out to be. The least complicated ways to deal with this would be for Magus, Elliot, and Ashley deal with Sirleck. I think this is where that ocular power that Elliot read about in his spellbook but didn't or couldn't really explain will be used; its something that Sirleck isn't likely to know about. I didn't mention Ellen because she's going to be knocked out as soon as Sirleck leaves her body to take over Magus.

Note that Magus is unlikely to be testing Elliots new power either, so if that ocular power is not red herring, it means Elliot will use it AFTER being split from Magus. And considering Sirleck is not going to leave Ellen before that anyway, I really don't see what could go wrong before Magus is split. Afterwards, yes ...

Now, there is also great opportunity for some OTHER artefact, one which wasn't working before, to be involved.

If Sirleck does run away with Magus' body, none of the Circle of Eight will care as much, although Ashley and Elliot would feel obligated. Pandora also might, if she remembers the regret she felt for treating Magus so badly. But if Magus gets saved from this, it could wait, and he could even be rid of Sirleck off-screen; Terra would certainly help if she could.

Hmmm ... would it be possible that Magus does some stupid self-sacrifice thing making Elliot promise he will avenge him? ... ok, probably not. And yes, Sirleck has point with those powerful enemies: if he escapes, with or without Magus's body, main eight probably won't try too hard to pursue him unless he hurt Ashley, Elliot or Ellen. Which, on the other hand, points to him NOT escaping with Magus's body. He might escape without body and decide to get revenge later, but that doesn't seem like him either.

In general, with the change of magic, I don't think Dan needs to make any additional plot threads to be solved later, so this is probably going to be resolved, possibly with Magus returning to his universe. His magic seem little OP for him hanging around anyway.

I don't think Pandora bothered to remember Magus.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... would it be possible that Magus does some stupid self-sacrifice thing making Elliot promise he will avenge him? ... ok, probably not. And yes, Sirleck has point with those powerful enemies: if he escapes, with or without Magus's body, main eight probably won't try too hard to pursue him unless he hurt Ashley, Elliot or Ellen. Which, on the other hand, points to him NOT escaping with Magus's body. He might escape without body and decide to get revenge later, but that doesn't seem like him either.

While Elliot might insist on forgiving Magus for the actions he took, Ellen likely wouldn't be forgiving about Sirleck possessing her.

I would like to believe that much of this would be resolved by the end of the arc, at least to the point where Magus has his own body and Sirleck's been dealt with, this particular plot point had be sitting in the back for like 7 years before Dan brought it to the front again last...wait almost 2 years ago (holy crap!) I dunno if he'd want to have either of them disappear again for several more years, there are plenty of other plot points to explore without this one hanging in the shadows again.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

While Elliot might insist on forgiving Magus for the actions he took, Ellen likely wouldn't be forgiving about Sirleck possessing her.

But remember she will be unconscious for some time afterwards, and it's not like she's that good at tracking to begin with: if she one awakens when already on way back with Elliot driving, she'll probably accept when Elliot says he disappeared without trace.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I would like to believe that much of this would be resolved by the end of the arc, at least to the point where Magus has his own body and Sirleck's been dealt with, this particular plot point had be sitting in the back for like 7 years before Dan brought it to the front again last...wait almost 2 years ago (holy crap!) I dunno if he'd want to have either of them disappear again for several more years, there are plenty of other plot points to explore without this one hanging in the shadows again.

Yes ; for hanging in the shadow, we still have Lord Tedd ... AND Voltaire.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, he can put on a raincoat and use an umbrella when it is raining, for example.

Walking without those is better. On a light rain, anyway.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes ; for hanging in the shadow, we still have Lord Tedd ... AND Voltaire.

Might need to pay Damocles a visit ASAP. :demonicduck: