• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Friday March 02, 2018

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that Magus is unlikely to be testing Elliots new power either, so if that ocular power is not red herring, it means Elliot will use it AFTER being split from Magus. And considering Sirleck is not going to leave Ellen before that anyway, I really don't see what could go wrong before Magus is split. Afterwards, yes ...

Hmm, I wonder if the first thing Elliot will see after touching the Dewitchery Diamond will be Sirleck wrapped around Ellen.  Could that be the ocular enhancement in question, the ability to see creatures on the spiritual plane?  If so, it would really suck for Magus that he could have just waited, and approached Elliot directly once he could see him.

I don't think Pandora bothered to remember Magus.

She was worried about a wand that cast the FV5 spell because she worried that Magus might be nearby when it was used on Elliot.  That danger still exists, so far as she knows when she resets, so I think she'll have passed that information on to her new self.  Whether any of the guilt over how she behaved carries over is another question.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, I wonder if the first thing Elliot will see after touching the Dewitchery Diamond will be Sirleck wrapped around Ellen.

Wouldn't take long. Sirleck is going to drop Ellen and go for Magus.

Could that be the ocular enhancement in question, the ability to see creatures on the spiritual plane?  If so, it would really suck for Magus that he could have just waited, and approached Elliot directly once he could see him.

Not really. Do you think both Magus and Elliot knows sign language? I would expect neither, meaning ability to see him without ability to hear him wouldn't be that useful.

I don't think Pandora bothered to remember Magus.

She was worried about a wand that cast the FV5 spell because she worried that Magus might be nearby when it was used on Elliot.  That danger still exists, so far as she knows when she resets, so I think she'll have passed that information on to her new self.  Whether any of the guilt over how she behaved carries over is another question.

True. Also, she MIGHT chose to remember the whole episode with Abraham so she can apologize to Adrian properly.

Could that be the ocular enhancement in question, the ability to see creatures on the spiritual plane?

That could give Elliot the long sought ability to sense immortals when they are hiding .  And if that is a sufficiently spell-like ability, Tedd may be able to observe it and turn it into a wand.

Oh how this could really ruin the day for a certain Kentucky Fried Immortal if he now must contend with magically armed human law enforcement agents who can find him even when he isn't on the mortal plane.

37 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Could that be the ocular enhancement in question, the ability to see creatures on the spiritual plane?

That could give Elliot the long sought ability to sense immortals when they are hiding .  And if that is a sufficiently spell-like ability, Tedd may be able to observe it and turn it into a wand.

Oh how this could really ruin the day for a certain Kentucky Fried Immortal if he now must contend with magically armed human law enforcement agents who can find him even when he isn't on the mortal plane.

Remember that ALL immortals are on spirit plane, but only the young, inexperienced ones are seen by other immortals. Older learns how to be hidden from everyone. Therefore, Elliot's ability will show him Sirleck and would show him Magus if he wouldn't already have body, it will also show him young Pandora when she appears, maybe even Zeus, but experienced immortals like Voltaire and presumably Helena and Demetrius will still be hidden.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Remember that ALL immortals are on spirit plane, but only the young, inexperienced ones are seen by other immortals. Older learns how to be hidden from everyone. Therefore, Elliot's ability will show him Sirleck and would show him Magus if he wouldn't already have body, it will also show him young Pandora when she appears, maybe even Zeus, but experienced immortals like Voltaire and presumably Helena and Demetrius will still be hidden.

We don't know for certain that Elliot's abilities will match those of Immortals when it comes to seeing into the spirit plane(s).   However, it does seem likely.  Helena and Demitrius are probably old enough now to have figured out hiding again, but I'm not certain of that yet.  It's possible that they haven't shown up since the Mall because Voltaire could see them and take his revenge.  ;-)

It would certainly fit well into the EGS theme of One Big Awkward Moment for Elliot to be having a conversation with someone, and suddenly realize that people are staring at him because no one else can see them....

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Helena and Demitrius are probably old enough now to have figured out hiding again, but I'm not certain of that yet.  It's possible that they haven't shown up since the Mall because Voltaire could see them and take his revenge.  ;-)

Voltaire didn't seem to be aware of Helena before she appeared. Sure, it IS possible he was just not paying attention ...

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

It would certainly fit well into the EGS theme of One Big Awkward Moment for Elliot to be having a conversation with someone, and suddenly realize that people are staring at him because no one else can see them....

... do I need to remind that ability to SEE usually doesn't include ability to HEAR again?

... but yes it would fit. And I suppose there would be way to make awkward moment from Elliot just seeing someone others don't see.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yes, but why was Pandora worried? What would be bad about that? If Tedd's wand works just like Ellen's beam, then it should do what Pandora told Magus it would do: Merge magus with Elliot so the Dewitchery diamond could be used to create a new body for Magus. Wouldn't it be better if that already happened? Sirleck wouldn't have had to possess Ellen, which sounds better to me.

It could have something to do with how the Dewitchery Diamond works. It's supposed to remove the "curse" from a person and create a duplicate with the same curse and the ability to spread the curse. But which "curse"? did it remove from Elliot? Being female, or being able to turn others into females.?

You can say that merged Magus-Elliot is under more than one "curse" because the booby trapped potion threw him into the Moperverse, trapped him at the very edge of the spirit plane(s), removed his ability to use all the spells he'd had (He got his influence spell from Pandora) that was around three years ago. Getting merged with Elliot was this evening.

So, Elliot is returned to his pre-merge state, and a duplicate is created with Magus' memories. Wait, when Ellen was created, she got all of Elliot's memories up until the moment she popped into existence. And she got his skills, and all the ki-powers he'd gotten from Greg and his sparring with Nanase. She got to a beam because she was cursed by a beam, and that counted as a way to spread her "curse"

So, does Magus 2.0 get all the stuff Elliot had plus all the stuff he had as Magus, plus all the stuff he had from the sabotaged potion. Plus maybe Ellen's beam if Ellen does it--is that part of the second curse? Well...

It could get extremely complicated if Dan wants it to. Would there be more than one duplicate? Would Magus be able to zap people into the spirit plane(s), or phase in and out like an Immortal? Zap people into other universes?

I don't have any explanation of why Dan put that worry in Pandora's mind I'm satisfied with, and I've written three different versions and then sent them to bit heaven 

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, but why was Pandora worried? What would be bad about that? If Tedd's wand works just like Ellen's beam, then it should do what Pandora told Magus it would do: Merge magus with Elliot so the Dewitchery diamond could be used to create a new body for Magus. Wouldn't it be better if that already happened? Sirleck wouldn't have had to possess Ellen, which sounds better to me.

It could have something to do with how the Dewitchery Diamond works. It's supposed to remove the "curse" from a person and create a duplicate with the same curse and the ability to spread the curse. But which "curse"? did it remove from Elliot? Being female, or being able to turn others into females.?

You can say that merged Magus-Elliot is under more than one "curse" because the booby trapped potion threw him into the Moperverse, trapped him at the very edge of the spirit plane(s), removed his ability to use all the spells he'd had (He got his influence spell from Pandora) that was around three years ago. Getting merged with Elliot was this evening.

So, Elliot is returned to his pre-merge state, and a duplicate is created with Magus' memories. Wait, when Ellen was created, she got all of Elliot's memories up until the moment she popped into existence. And she got his skills, and all the ki-powers he'd gotten from Greg and his sparring with Nanase. She got to a beam because she was cursed by a beam, and that counted as a way to spread her "curse"

So, does Magus 2.0 get all the stuff Elliot had plus all the stuff he had as Magus, plus all the stuff he had from the sabotaged potion. Plus maybe Ellen's beam if Ellen does it--is that part of the second curse? Well...

It could get extremely complicated if Dan wants it to. Would there be more than one duplicate? Would Magus be able to zap people into the spirit plane(s), or phase in and out like an Immortal? Zap people into other universes?

I don't have any explanation of why Dan put that worry in Pandora's mind I'm satisfied with, and I've written three different versions and then sent them to bit heaven 

Dan stated why he did that in the commentary. Readers were quick to point out that the wand could be used as a substitute for Ellen, and also apparently some people assumed she was intentionally setting Tedd up to zap Elliot despite her having left Magus in limbo. So Pandora's show of concern was more for our benefit than actual storytelling.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I see basically following possibilities:

1) Pandora is afraid Magus will do something stupid in attempt to get his goal. Which is spot-on. He did.  .... which means that not putting that spell in the wand wouldn't change anything.

2) Pandora still wants Magus to "win fair". But that doesn't really seem like something to be concerned about.

3) There WILL be some differences between the wand and Ellen's spell which could make it more complicated. But why?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Dan stated why he did that in the commentary. Readers were quick to point out that the wand could be used as a substitute for Ellen, and also apparently some people assumed she was intentionally setting Tedd up to zap Elliot despite her having left Magus in limbo. So Pandora's show of concern was more for our benefit than actual storytelling.

... so, basically, Pandora is concerned that Tedd might think she did that intentionally? ... well, ok, not exactly straightforward, but trust is hard to build, so we can't rule that out.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

We already saw that Magus, for some reason, is NOT female now. Generally, seems that Magus have some control over which curse to remove. Also, again, all those concerns seem to be equally valid for Ellen as the wand ... it's not like Pandora somehow sabotaged his chances to succeed with Ellen.

Note: the "removed his ability to use spells" ... well, maybe he technically still could cast them, just not to physical plane. The thing he did to escape Helena and Demetrius DID seemed like spell.

And yes I'm also interested in what will Elliot get left from Magus ... and Magus from Elliot.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Did he? Not very clearly. Magus explained to Ashley that "Ellen had the ability to shoot a proper spell version of the TF gun beam I could use a conduit."My guess is that "proper" means a version based on the magic Earthlings use (I'm including Aberrations, Elves, griffins, summoning, et al, and apparently Earth in at least two universes, Moperverse and Magusverses, unless Magus comes from a third side of Earth, but not the different  magic and magitech like the transformation gun)

Does it explain why Pandora is worried? She's sure that the spell she asks Tedd to put on his first wand is safe. She's almost sure Tedd won't use the wand on Elliot, and almost sure Magus wouldn't be standing ready between Elliot and Tedd if he did.  

49 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Magus explained to Ashley that "Ellen had the ability to shoot a proper spell version of the TF gun beam I could use a conduit."My guess is that "proper" means a version based on the magic Earthlings use (I'm including Aberrations, Elves, griffins, summoning, et al, and apparently Earth in at least two universes, Moperverse and Magusverses, unless Magus comes from a third side of Earth, but not the different  magic and magitech like the transformation gun)

Magus is definitely not from "third side", however hard to say what are the requirements. It's possible that his home universe magic would NOT work in correct way, or it might be that all kinds of "earth-like" magic works and just Uryuoms CMD don't. We only know for sure than EGS universe earth magic works.

And yes, Aberrations, Elves and all magic users are using the same magic, and griffins probably too. Maybe even immortals: remember that Pandora didn't said she's not ABLE to do it herself. Although it may be against immortal law as it's hurting Elliot.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... ability to SEE usually doesn't [necessarily] include ability to HEAR

Fixed that for you

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We already saw that Magus, for some reason, is NOT female now. Generally, seems that Magus have some control over which curse to remove. Also, again, all those concerns seem to be equally valid for Ellen as the wand ... it's not like Pandora somehow sabotaged his chances to succeed with Ellen.

Dan spent a whole series of NP comics showing us all the other options besides FV5 that Ellen has now.  Given that Magus/Elliot is now blonde, it seems most likely that Sirleck/Ellen used Ellen's beam to turn Elliot's hair blonde.  Magus and Sirleck may have had a chance to address which beam to use, or Sirleck, being a sexist asshole, may have just assumed Magus wouldn't want to be female....hmm, but being a sexist asshole, as well as evil, maybe that would mean he would have turned Magus into a busty female just to mess with Magus....no, not if he's intending to steal Magus's new body.  Okay, got that sorted.  Sirleck used a "blonde hair" beam because he wanted to be able to take over a male body.

Note: the "removed his ability to use spells" ... well, maybe he technically still could cast them, just not to physical plane. The thing he did to escape Helena and Demetrius DID seemed like spell.

Yeah, that sounds right to me, too.  Now that Magus has a form on the physical plane, he can use his spells on the physical plane.

And yes I'm also interested in what will Elliot get left from Magus ... and Magus from Elliot.

Well, if the curse is having his body possessed by someone else, he might gain the ability to possess others, but I'm not sure how that would work if he already has a physical body of his own.  If the curse is the blonde hair, which is technically what Ellen's beam did, then he might just get the ability to turn himself blonde, which is way redundant. We never did see anything about what abilities Niori or Kaoli got from their split.

Hmm, could that also have been Sirleck thinking ahead, not wanting to give Elliot anything new that would be useful?

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
21 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

She was worried about a wand that cast the FV5 spell because she worried that Magus might be nearby when it was used on Elliot. 

Prior to Sirleck/Ellen zapping Elliot, I thought Elliot, Magus, and Ellen would all be magically connected for a moment, and not only would Magus wind up in Elliot but something bad would happen to Ellen (maybe all three would be merged into one?). In this scenario Pandora wouldn't have cared what happened to Ellen, but would want to prevent it from happening to Tedd. Obviously, unless the problem won't be revealed until they touch the diamond and/or Sirleck leaves Ellen, this scenario didn't happen.

Maybe Pandora just didn't want Magus to reach the material plane just yet? Or maybe if Magus becomes a major villain or Elliot is harmed by his resurrection, Pandora didn't want Tedd to feel responsible for it?

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Dan spent a whole series of NP comics showing us all the other options besides FV5 that Ellen has now.  Given that Magus/Elliot is now blonde, it seems most likely that Sirleck/Ellen used Ellen's beam to turn Elliot's hair blonde.  Magus and Sirleck may have had a chance to address which beam to use, or Sirleck, being a sexist asshole, may have just assumed Magus wouldn't want to be female....hmm, but being a sexist asshole, as well as evil, maybe that would mean he would have turned Magus into a busty female just to mess with Magus....no, not if he's intending to steal Magus's new body.  Okay, got that sorted.  Sirleck used a "blonde hair" beam because he wanted to be able to take over a male body.

Dan never actually said that Ellen had a male transformation beam, the only time we saw her able to turn someone male was when using the Fusion Paste, Copy and Melting Pot also allow Ellen herself to become male if she wanted. I was under the impression that Magus was able to alter the beam as it pushed him into Elliot, and considering his magic is based on a system from an alternate universe, I wouldn't be surprised that he'd have his own tricks for dealing with transformations or something.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Dan never actually said that Ellen had a male transformation beam, the only time we saw her able to turn someone male was when using the Fusion Paste, Copy and Melting Pot also allow Ellen herself to become male if she wanted. I was under the impression that Magus was able to alter the beam as it pushed him into Elliot, and considering his magic is based on a system from an alternate universe, I wouldn't be surprised that he'd have his own tricks for dealing with transformations or something.

She may not be able to turn anyone male, but I was under the impression that many of her beams had no effect at all on sex.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Assuming blonde hair beam will work for Magus, which it probably does as is still based on same idea, yes ... Sirleck would totally prefer male body.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I was under the impression that Magus was able to alter the beam as it pushed him into Elliot, and considering his magic is based on a system from an alternate universe, I wouldn't be surprised that he'd have his own tricks for dealing with transformations or something.

It's not just impression. Dan specifically said it was FV5 beam and was altered. Which doesn't answer why - wouldn't using blonde hair be simpler?

42 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

She may not be able to turn anyone male, but I was under the impression that many of her beams had no effect at all on sex.

Definitely.

Well, if the curse is having his body possessed by someone else, he might gain the ability to possess others, but I'm not sure how that would work if he already has a physical body of his own.  If the curse is the blonde hair, which is technically what Ellen's beam did, then he might just get the ability to turn himself blonde, which is way redundant.

Not redundant, actually. Elliot can freely turn into blonde female, but so far had no spell to turn to blonde male.

Elliot, as original, should get ability to turn to Magus himself ; Magus should get ability to posses others. What exactly that would mean is of course unclear ; it MIGHT give Elliot some of Magus's abilities, though ...

Hmm, could that also have been Sirleck thinking ahead, not wanting to give Elliot anything new that would be useful?

FV5 would be the most useless spell to be used, as Elliot ALREADY HAS IT.

We never did see anything about what abilities Niori or Kaoli got from their split.

Probably none ; Nioi was using her own magic to change herself, meaning she already HAD those abilities ... well, ok, if the spells were only working on her, Kaoli will have version working on others as well (possibly even ranged, but unlikely ; Ellen has ranged version likely because original FV5 is ranged).

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Prior to Sirleck/Ellen zapping Elliot, I thought Elliot, Magus, and Ellen would all be magically connected for a moment, and not only would Magus wind up in Elliot but something bad would happen to Ellen (maybe all three would be merged into one?). In this scenario Pandora wouldn't have cared what happened to Ellen, but would want to prevent it from happening to Tedd.

I don't think it would be POSSIBLE for this to happen to Tedd. In worst case, it would happen to the wand.

Obviously, unless the problem won't be revealed until they touch the diamond and/or Sirleck leaves Ellen, this scenario didn't happen.

Also this, yes.

Maybe Pandora just didn't want Magus to reach the material plane just yet?

Again: it happened anyway. It makes no sense for her to worry it will happen faster with the wand if she didn't do anything to prevent it happening with Ellen.

Or maybe if Magus becomes a major villain or Elliot is harmed by his resurrection, Pandora didn't want Tedd to feel responsible for it?

Yes, this is the only working angle. She doesn't want Tedd feeling responsible OR blame her for anything Magus will do. Note that while Magus becoming major villain would obviously be more to be responsible for, Tedd can feel responsible for ANYTHING Magus will do - remember he's not exactly stable, although she seems more stable than her father thinks ... who knows how hard it may be for her if, say, Magus would kill some guard (by mistake, likely, as with his magic it shouldn't be necessary ; killing one guard definitely doesn't make him major villain, especially if by mistake).

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

The part that makes me thing something else is going on is because of what Dan says in the commentary.

For example, how did Magus use Sirleck-Ellen's FV5 beam as a conduit to take over Elliot's body and have the form remain male, but with blonde hair? A wizard did it with magic. Why didn't it work with the TF gun? Because a wizard couldn't do that with magic.

Ellen's FV5 beam is specifically mentioned here. Also noted the date the comic was posted is November 12th, the Ellen Demo NP had been finished July 28th, if Sirleck used another of Ellen's beams, Dan had every opportunity to point us to the NP in the commentary. I dunno if it just didn't occur to Dan that he should do that but is still seems like it would have made it clear that this is why it worked out this way.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2467

Ok. So we will need to wait after TEDD will get that information about her family ... not surprised.

... also, are we sure Tedd is not able to directly observe that magic did indeed changed a little? :)

Finally, spells still working won't tell us anything, but I WOULD be interested in what exactly are news reporting about Pandora and her world-wide spell.

I'm curious how many politically-significant people around the world just died.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:28 PM, hkmaly said:

Voltaire didn't seem to be aware of Helena before she appeared. Sure, it IS possible he was just not paying attention ...

... do I need to remind that ability to SEE usually doesn't include ability to HEAR again?

... but yes it would fit. And I suppose there would be way to make awkward moment from Elliot just seeing someone others don't see.

The ability to see does NOT include the ability to hear.

However, Elliot didn't read the entire  spell out loud on camera. We don't even know if he's read it to himself. Perhaps the next section of the spell description is about the aural component. (With the spell as a whole possibly being aural, by the other definition of that term.)

3 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:
On 3/2/2018 at 6:07 AM, hkmaly said:

Finally, spells still working won't tell us anything, but I WOULD be interested in what exactly are news reporting about Pandora and her world-wide spell.

I'm curious how many politically-significant people around the world just died.

Might not be that many. Sirleck wouldn't be only aberration choosing safety in relative anonymity.

5 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

However, Elliot didn't read the entire  spell out loud on camera. We don't even know if he's read it to himself. Perhaps the next section of the spell description is about the aural component. (With the spell as a whole possibly being aural, by the other definition of that term.)

True. Or, more simply, he can get the hearing part as next spell soon.

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Might not be that many. Sirleck wouldn't be only aberration choosing safety in relative anonymity.

Sirleck might have avoided the spell due to being on another plane of existence, so other body snatchers might have also avoided it, any that had prominent figures as hosts would be able to continue undetected, the question would be if any aberrations themselves became prominent figures. But as you say that's less likely.

21 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sirleck might have avoided the spell due to being on another plane of existence, so other body snatchers might have also avoided it, any that had prominent figures as hosts would be able to continue undetected, the question would be if any aberrations themselves became prominent figures. But as you say that's less likely.

Sirleck didn't avoided the spell due to being on another plane of existence. He avoided it due to being on road in middle of nowhere safely outside range of any immortal. Of course, other body snatchers might also travel at that time.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Sirleck didn't avoided the spell due to being on another plane of existence

Actually... no. Dan himself stated that Sirleck avoided it due to being on another plane while possessing Ellen. When between possessions Sirleck enters the physical plane and becomes visible as well as vulnerable to effects on that plane. He is safe from such effects as long as he is possessing someone.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sirleck didn't avoided the spell due to being on another plane of existence

Actually... no. Dan himself stated that Sirleck avoided it due to being on another plane while possessing Ellen. When between possessions Sirleck enters the physical plane and becomes visible as well as vulnerable to effects on that plane. He is safe from such effects as long as he is possessing someone.

Did he? Where?