• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

*Reads chapter title*.

"Elliots and Ellens"...? Why "Ellens"? Is Sirleck/Ellen going to touch the Diamond too? Is there going to be talk about alternate universes and Ellen's place in them? Or did Dan just think making both names plural sounded good?

30 minutes ago, WR...S said:

For one, Elliot and Tedd weren't trying to leave with an artifact, so that busts Magus' belief that they'll be able to get out this.

It'd be funny if the same guard as the one from that night is there this time as well. Would he recognize Elliot despite the blonde hair?

You know what I just realized?

They're going back to the place with the diamond.  If all goes according to plan (which obviously it might not), then they're going to have to find their way home again.  Elliot and Ellen probably still don't know the way back, and they might have to ask for directions or something, maybe from a gas station attendant on the way.

In other words, there's a chance we might actually see Phill again.

So the diamond was STILL left in PTTAOLUTASF, despite Abraham. Or at least Sirleck and Magus thinks so.

Wait ... where will be Abraham? Next to the diamond, just in case?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

"full of relatively useless or inert magic artifacts" eh?

Like ones that might have been used in previous magic systems?

That might not be so useless or inert anymore?

... predicted there will be SOME artefact like this. Didn't expected the building might easily be FULL of them.

54 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

"Elliots and Ellens"...? Why "Ellens"? Is Sirleck/Ellen going to touch the Diamond too? Is there going to be talk about alternate universes and Ellen's place in them? Or did Dan just think making both names plural sounded good?

Hmmmm .... will Nioi have enough souls for everyone? :)

Wait ... is some other artefact going to connect multiple universes? We can get the classical "building full of two people in multiple versions" then ...

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:
40 minutes ago, WR...S said:

For one, Elliot and Tedd weren't trying to leave with an artifact, so that busts Magus' belief that they'll be able to get out this.

They were not exactly trying to escape fast. ELLEN got out without problem.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It'd be funny if the same guard as the one from that night is there this time as well. Would he recognize Elliot despite the blonde hair?

Better question is if he will recognize Elliot and Ellen being left there while Magus will be already gone.

6 minutes ago, chridd said:

They're going back to the place with the diamond.  If all goes according to plan (which obviously it might not)

It definitely won't. It can't go according to Magus's plan and Sirleck's plan at the same time, so ...

7 minutes ago, chridd said:

then they're going to have to find their way home again.  Elliot and Ellen probably still don't know the way back, and they might have to ask for directions or something, maybe from a gas station attendant on the way.

Elliot KNOWS the way back if he was paying attention where Hedge was heading and Ellen might still REMEMBER those instructions. It's the SAME building so the way to Moperville will be same as last time.

10 minutes ago, chridd said:

In other words, there's a chance we might actually see Phill again.

... we still can. Maybe they run out of gas or something. Wait ... was it gas station?

Well it looks like they fixed the acronym, at least. (for comparison: PTTAPUTASF)

With "Ellens", plural, in the title, I think the plan here is this. Magus touches the Diamond. Then Magus in his new body uses a cosmetic spell on Ellen. Then Sirleck touches the Diamond and takes the new altered Ellen duplicate body. Then they leave and fight Abraham offscreen later.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

So the diamond was STILL left in PTTAOLUTASF, despite Abraham. Or at least Sirleck and Magus thinks so.

Think Abraham's gonna have another moral dilemma about killing Ellen after being convinced not to do so was the whole point of the previous Sister? Magus is probably fine, desperation and all that, but the problem is Abraham has to kill a body-snatcher aberration without killing its host and the option to do so may not come up.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The question is whether Magus's possession means him (and, thus, his existing soul) will become the new Elliot duplicate's default soul, or not. And how body-snatcher aberration possession also works in regards to souls (though I think in that case, Sirleck's ability to keep his host's body alive after its death might come in handy, though he'd be rather miffed to get himself a shiny new body only for it to die too).

16 minutes ago, Zorua said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The question is whether Magus's possession means him (and, thus, his existing soul) will become the new Elliot duplicate's default soul, or not. And how body-snatcher aberration possession also works in regards to souls (though I think in that case, Sirleck's ability to keep his host's body alive after its death might come in handy, though he'd be rather miffed to get himself a shiny new body only for it to die too).

Note that there is still quite high possibility Nioi's theory was not exactly firmly founded and nothing would happen to Ellen ... and even if there would be something, it wouldn't need to result in death.

17 minutes ago, Zorua said:

With "Ellens", plural, in the title, I think the plan here is this. Magus touches the Diamond. Then Magus in his new body uses a cosmetic spell on Ellen. Then Sirleck touches the Diamond and takes the new altered Ellen duplicate body. Then they leave and fight Abraham offscreen later.

Magus's plan, maybe. Sirleck's plan is to possess Magus.

18 minutes ago, Zorua said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Think Abraham's gonna have another moral dilemma about killing Ellen after being convinced not to do so was the whole point of the previous Sister? Magus is probably fine, desperation and all that, but the problem is Abraham has to kill a body-snatcher aberration without killing its host and the option to do so may not come up.

Exactly: Even if Magus is the duplicate and Ellen is just observer, Abraham is likely to realize the one he should kill is Sirleck. Now how will he do it without killing anyone else ...

Presumably, if Magus uses the Dewitchery Diamond, he'll be another Elliot - I have to think, that since he copied Elliot with all his spells, he'll get them as well.  So he may be the other Elliot and Ellen.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It would not surprise me if Magus anticipated Sirleck's double cross, so that Magus's plan is to touch the diamond, pretend to be unwary to lure Sirleck into leaving Ellen, and then fight him.

I mean, really, Magus's final approach for getting Sirleck's help was to beg politely. He'd have to be some combination of extremely ignorant about aberrations and/or stupid to think that had any possibility of working, and he did it while specifically emphasizing how he fit the exact requirement that Sirleck considers most important for his new host. It could have just been desperation and coincidence, I suppose, but that pitch fits suspiciously well and Magus had plenty of time to think about how to approach the conversation in advance. I would find it very believable that Magus was deliberately manipulating Sirleck.

I wonder if Magus knows about Abraham, and perhaps knows his statue has been placed adjacent to the DD?  Magus splits from Elliot, Sirleck leaves Ellen to attack Magus, and Abraham steps out of the shadows, sword swinging!

*sees formatting* Well somebody is hinting too much, or they speak with lots of intonations.

Sure, they can take a shot out, but will they really pass the background check?

4 hours ago, WR...S said:

Presumably, if Magus uses the Dewitchery Diamond, he'll be another Elliot - I have to think, that since he copied Elliot with all his spells, he'll get them as well.  So he may be the other Elliot and Ellen.

Magus is an alternate of Elliot, so the "Elliots" part of the title is already in play. However, unless his new body winds up female, I don't see how he'd also be an Ellen.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wonder if Magus knows about Abraham, and perhaps knows his statue has been placed adjacent to the DD?  Magus splits from Elliot, Sirleck leaves Ellen to attack Magus, and Abraham steps out of the shadows, sword swinging!

Magus definitely knows about Abraham - his refusing to influence Mr. Verres into killing Abraham is what led to his split from Pandora. Whether he has any idea what happened to Abraham after he was taken into custody, however, is unknown at this time.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Magus is an alternate of Elliot, so the "Elliots" part of the title is already in play. However, unless his new body winds up female, I don't see how he'd also be an Ellen.

Terra, perhaps?  Once Magus has form, could he contact his home universe?  Has he, perhaps, done so already?  Or would Sirleck not let him out of his sight long enough?

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Magus definitely knows about Abraham - his refusing to influence Mr. Verres into killing Abraham is what led to his split from Pandora. Whether he has any idea what happened to Abraham after he was taken into custody, however, is unknown at this time.

Sorry, I meant to say what, not if.  I don't think he was in any condition/position to know about Abraham's change of heart, so he might be expecting Abraham to try to kill him as soon as he gets his body.  Which, come to think of it, might be a way to keep Sirleck from grabbing Magus's new body right away -- they could have a plan to deal with Abraham together first.

So a warehouse of possible newly repowered artifacts and possibly even Abraham waiting for someone to activate the Diamond.  Wow.  Should be exciting.  So, what will happen next, will the artifacts be noticed by Magus or Sirleck?  Will one of the artifacts notice them?  Shall I have a go at speculation?

They use the Dewitchery Diamond, Abraham awakens and encounters them, and uses some wizard spell to see what they are.  Then we get to find out if Magus is truly more powerful than the wizards of our world.  In the confusion, an Artifact gets Ashley's attention, and she touches it, activating it fully.  And suddenly... Anime-powerful Ashley joins the fight!  I envision a sword that covers her in magic armor that shields from spells.

Probably not, but dang that would be cool.  They'll probably just activate the portal to dread R'lyeh or some other foolishness.  ;)

11 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Probably not, but dang that would be cool.  They'll probably just activate the portal to dread R'lyeh or some other foolishness.  ;)

*enters Dread Portal*

*arrives to see sign erected*

Sign reads: THE STARS ARE NOT QUITE RIGHT. PLEASE RETURN IN FIVE CENTURIES.

41 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
53 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

*enters Dread Portal*

*arrives to see sign erected*

Sign reads: THE STARS ARE NOT QUITE RIGHT. PLEASE RETURN IN FIVE CENTURIES.

Entering dread R'lyeh isn't so bad.  Waking up any elder gods that are sleeping is the bad thing.

After all "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Entering dread R'lyeh isn't so bad.  Waking up any elder gods that are sleeping is the bad thing.

After all "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Have any appliances been acting up lately?

16 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

*Reads chapter title*.

The question isn't, "Why Ellens?"  The body Magus gets out of this, generated by the DD, will be female, thus more than one Ellen.  Arguably, the counter question is, "Why Elliots?", but Magus is a true Elliot*, so perhaps he will be treated as both an Elliot and an Ellen for the purposes of this story.

*Ellen has a copy of Elliot's memories, but did not actually live through them.  Supposedly, the dichotomy between a newborn soul and a lifetime of memories would inevitably lead to madness if steps had not been taken to age her soul through an AU dream sequence.

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2468

"full of relatively useless or inert magic artifacts" eh?

Like ones that might have been used in previous magic systems?

That might not be so useless or inert anymore?

Probably a red herring. :demonicduck:

Same place my, and apparently everybody elses', minds went.  Not only could these items suddenly be of great power and/or utility, I expect them to in some way fulfill Murphy's law.

Hmm.  I was wondering how Sirleck and Ellen were going to be separated without serious harm to Ellen, as I doubt Sirleck would voluntarily release a healthy body with a lot of magic to it. I wonder, though, what effect the DD would have on them.  Would it create a free Ellen and a new, Sirleck possessed Ellen?  How about restoring Sirleck's humanity? So many ways this could roll.  I'm rarely excited about story reveals, or by much of anything**, but I am definitely looking forward to seeing where this story will head.

**A side effect of being a calm, serene person is a lack of energized anticipation. It really helps deal with disappointments in life, but at an expense of fun.

I've been trying to stay out of forums because I was wasting way too much of my days feeding my addiction to them, so this comment is a little dated,, but I supposeVoltaire was far more successful at traumatizing Tedd Prime, at least in the revised backstory. Dan has said he made that Tedd's story lighter as a retcon because he didn't like how dark he was planning on taking things, but "less dark" could mean so many things.

Just now, Wyrd42 said:

The question isn't, "Why Ellens?"  The body Magus gets out of this, generated by the DD, will be female, thus more than one Ellen.  Arguably, the counter question is, "Why Elliots?", but Magus is a true Elliot*, so perhaps he will be treated as both an Elliot and an Ellen for the purposes of this story.

Magus isn't female at the moment, so he's not being affected by FV5, the beam just got him into Elliot's body, beyond that there's absolutely no indication that FV5 is active so there's shouldn't be any chance that Magus would wind up female when he touches the diamond.

11 hours ago, Douglas said:
13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It would not surprise me if Magus anticipated Sirleck's double cross, so that Magus's plan is to touch the diamond, pretend to be unwary to lure Sirleck into leaving Ellen, and then fight him.

I mean, really, Magus's final approach for getting Sirleck's help was to beg politely. He'd have to be some combination of extremely ignorant about aberrations and/or stupid to think that had any possibility of working, and he did it while specifically emphasizing how he fit the exact requirement that Sirleck considers most important for his new host. It could have just been desperation and coincidence, I suppose, but that pitch fits suspiciously well and Magus had plenty of time to think about how to approach the conversation in advance. I would find it very believable that Magus was deliberately manipulating Sirleck.

I really hope so, but some people ARE so naive.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

They use the Dewitchery Diamond, Abraham awakens and encounters them, and uses some wizard spell to see what they are.  Then we get to find out if Magus is truly more powerful than the wizards of our world.  In the confusion, an Artifact gets Ashley's attention, and she touches it, activating it fully.  And suddenly... Anime-powerful Ashley joins the fight!  I envision a sword that covers her in magic armor that shields from spells.

Probably not, but dang that would be cool. 

Agree with both. It would be cool to have Ashley get some powers, but most likely, she's really there just to provide someone Magus can talk to and say everything the readers need to know.

52 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

Ellen has a copy of Elliot's memories, but did not actually live through them.  Supposedly, the dichotomy between a newborn soul and a lifetime of memories would inevitably lead to madness if steps had not been taken to age her soul through an AU dream sequence.

Just because Nioi thinks so doesn't make that true.

53 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

How about restoring Sirleck's humanity?

He doesn't deserve it, and after all the talk about aberrations being impossible to cure? Unlikely.

Sure, there was also all the talk about immortals not being able to have kids, but THIS would turn EGS darker. It would mean all those aberrations main characters killed could be saved.

55 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

I was wondering how Sirleck and Ellen were going to be separated without serious harm to Ellen, as I doubt Sirleck would voluntarily release a healthy body with a lot of magic to it.

He would totally voluntarily release a healthy body with some mostly useless magic in exchange for healthy body with lot of useful battle-ready spells (Magus).

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Magus isn't female at the moment, so he's not being affected by FV5, the beam just got him into Elliot's body, beyond that there's absolutely no indication that FV5 is active so there's shouldn't be any chance that Magus would wind up female when he touches the diamond.

Agreed.  magus-Elliot is male and as long as he's male when touching the Dewitchery Diamond, his new body should also be male.  I guess it's possible that there's something of Ellen's original handbeam left in the enchantment-like effect that allows Magus to possess Elliot but Elliot being male argues against it.

The only way Magus ought wind up being female would be if the change in Magic's rules gave the Dewitchery Diamond greater freedom to act.   Pure speculation here: maybe the DD makes a female magus (Femagus?) because Elliot stands out to the DD as one of the few, perhaps even the first, repeat customer for its service?  So hey, throw in a FV5 for good measure.  Or maybe it does pick up on the FV5 beam by which Magus "curses" Elliot's body. 

Magus would receive the ability to spread the curse of being able to incorporeally possess Elliot?  Possess their own dimensional doppelgangers?  And maybe Femagus gets handbeams too?  I don't know. 

I do not pretend this is anywhere in the same zip code as "likely"., just remotely possible.