• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Wednesday March 7, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2469

Damn. Seems neither Dan nor Magus wants the creepily calm Ashley with the ability to calm others. I was looking forward to her. It might not even complicate her relationship with Elliot much - the calm Ashley would definitely understand what is necessary. Wait. Actually, this sounds dangerously close to her committing suicide. Ok, maybe it IS better to not have her.

Aaand, neither got the idea of leaving Ashley in the car. For some reason they want her there. Even in panic. Hmmmm ...

PS: Ashley, this is NOT calm ... well, at least she didn't do anything stupid yet.

11 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS IS NOT CALM! I'LL SHOW YOU HOW CALM I AM GOLDARNIT! LET'S GO STEAL THOSE CODES FOR WAREHOUSE 13 AND OPEN WIDE THE GATES OF PHLEGETHON! :mad:

As long as you don't steal anything from the SCP Foundation....

I will... take it. So preciously goofy.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Aaand, neither got the idea of leaving Ashley in the car. For some reason they want her there. Even in panic. Hmmmm ...

Would anyone even want to leave someone in a car? That is not running?

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

They explained this a little while ago. Magus isn't sure how much of this Elliot will remember, so he needs someone to explain it to him once they separate. Thus, Ashley.

14 minutes ago, WR...S said:

What knowledge does she have to gain from actually following them in, though?

They may want her present when Elliot-Magus is split into Elliot and Elliot-Magus. To, you know, help talk him down.

27 minutes ago, WR...S said:

What knowledge does she have to gain from actually following them in, though?

Having Ashley stay with them means another person Sirleck has to worry about when he makes his attempt on possessing Magus. This might be an indication that Magus is aware of that possibility and is getting prepared.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

As long as you don't steal anything from the SCP Foundation....

Brrr.... yeah, those so do not exist anywhere near the Moperverse.  Got sucked into reading the wiki.  Compelling but horrific.

Hmm, those starbursts are more visual effects than backgrounds, even if they aren't really there in-story. I do like how there are lots of thin rays, as well as some variation in thickness and spacing; it makes it much more interesting than the starbursts Dan usually uses.

Also, it can be cool when a character is unnaturally calm all the time, but it doesn't really suit Ashley (actually I doubt it would suit any character that had already been established as having more emotional range), so I'm not disappointed we're not going to get Ashley 2: The Calm One.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Having Ashley stay with them means another person Sirleck has to worry about when he makes his attempt on possessing Magus. This might be an indication that Magus is aware of that possibility and is getting prepared.

what could Ashley actually do? I think Magus- who has claimed to be more powerful than Nanase- is more planning on defending himself via his own magic if that comes to pass. I think it's more hoping that Ashley's presence will prevent Elliott- who would be understandably angry following Magus getting his own body- from attacking him before he can explain. 

10 minutes ago, sstabeler said:

what could Ashley actually do? I think Magus- who has claimed to be more powerful than Nanase- is more planning on defending himself via his own magic if that comes to pass. I think it's more hoping that Ashley's presence will prevent Elliott- who would be understandably angry following Magus getting his own body- from attacking him before he can explain. 

I dunno, but considering she's already stepped up to help once before, we can't just expect her to stand back and do nothing.

1 hour ago, sstabeler said:
7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think Magus wants Ashley nearby to keep her from causing trouble (leave in car awake, she calmly tries to contact someone) or getting into trouble (leaving in car with sleep spell, maybe not a good idea).  Actually having there as a distraction for Sirleck if he tries something, I don't quite see.  There as a person to calm Elliot down and relate Magus' intentions, yeah, that sounds about right.

What could Ashley actually do?   Heh, heh, heh... take advantage of random opportunity.  She has proven quite capable of acting quickly under stress and in ways that are quite innovative.  I wonder how easily wizards can be distracted during spell casting and what happens when they get distracted?  Granted, not likely to find a soccer ball here, but I think Ashley could find something to use in the warehouse to take advantage of an opening.

Plus, reactivated artifacts!  Potential game-changer.  ;)

I really wanted super-calm Ashley to join the cast.

I think this may be because my mom was a Perry Como fan.

But that could be such a useful superpower.  She could walk into a hospital, prison, hurricane shelter, refugee camp, or theatre showing Ragnarok, and keep the patients, inmates, and victims from becoming an unruly mob.

Unless, of course, the initial crowd consisted of kangaroos.

11 hours ago, Zorua said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

They explained this a little while ago. Magus isn't sure how much of this Elliot will remember, so he needs someone to explain it to him once they separate. Thus, Ashley.

As if the explanation couldn't wait for later. She would need some time to calm down before explaining in way which makes sense anyway.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:
3 hours ago, sstabeler said:
9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think Magus wants Ashley nearby to keep her from causing trouble (leave in car awake, she calmly tries to contact someone) or getting into trouble (leaving in car with sleep spell, maybe not a good idea).  Actually having there as a distraction for Sirleck if he tries something, I don't quite see.  There as a person to calm Elliot down and relate Magus' intentions, yeah, that sounds about right.

Leaving her awake alone would obviously not be good idea, but I don't think she can get into that many trouble sleeping in car in middle of night.

And, as I said, she is unlikely to calm Elliot successfully in this state. I was expecting it's more to prevent Elliot to try some revenge later - like, I totally expected Magus will put Elliot to sleep immediately after splitting. But, maybe he wouldn't want to risk creating Elliot in coma who can put other people to sleep. Somehow.

What could Ashley actually do?   Heh, heh, heh... take advantage of random opportunity.  She has proven quite capable of acting quickly under stress and in ways that are quite innovative.  I wonder how easily wizards can be distracted during spell casting and what happens when they get distracted?  Granted, not likely to find a soccer ball here, but I think Ashley could find something to use in the warehouse to take advantage of an opening.

Magus is not going to cast any long spells. So far all spells he casted were combat spells quick enough to not be distracted DURING casting them.

Plus, reactivated artifacts!  Potential game-changer.  ;)

Well, obviously. But so far it seems she's more likely to activate something by mistake than take advantage of random opportunity. But maybe she WILL get naturally calm later. Or at least stop panicking.

50 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But that could be such a useful superpower.  She could walk into a hospital, prison, hurricane shelter, refugee camp, or theatre showing Ragnarok, and keep the patients, inmates, and victims from becoming an unruly mob.

Might take a while until she would be able to calm whole mob. But just few calmed doctors in hospital during hurricane or other natural disaster could help a lot.

17 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Susan, by herself, provides all the bluntness Moperville needs.

She definitely doesn't.

Now, you can argue that she could, but she's definitely not doing it.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, it really is too bad. It would do them a power of good.

Not for (bad) Tom, but that (verbal) hammering likely did a lot of good for every woman who saw it or heard of it.