• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Been a while, hasn't it?

Nintendo dropped their latest Direct and besides the expected Kirby update and Undertale confirmations, we got a few Splat Bombshells.

First, the next Splatoon 2 update comes with a paid DLC which adds playable Octolings! That's right; not only can you go into multiplayer as one of the bad guy types, but you get a whole new story mode centered around playing as one!

Second, SMASH BROS. FOR SWITCH FEATURING INKLINGS 2018!

Now if only I had a Switch...

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Do not take on Level 3 security missions in Eve if you aren't flying at least a battle cruiser.

Yeah, I always used a Drake for those

My primary clone in Eve just went Alpha, trashing it's skill list and being more or less unplayable.  Can't fix it until midnight tonight.  I has an unhappy.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, Zorua said:

First, the next Splatoon 2 update comes with a paid DLC which adds playable Octolings! That's right; not only can you go into multiplayer as one of the bad guy types, but you get a whole new story mode centered around playing as one!

Second, SMASH BROS. FOR SWITCH FEATURING INKLINGS 2018!

Now if only I had a Switch...

Now if only I had a Switch and an internet connection with enough high-speed data to make playing games online feasible...

On 30/04/2018 at 10:15 PM, mlooney said:

Do not take on Level 3 security missions in Eve if you aren't flying at least a battle cruiser.

On an only mildly related note: if you play a rogue in World of Warcraft, do not attempt to pickpocket faction leaders. They do not seem to appreciate it.

At least Lady Sylvanas, Banshee Queen of the Undead, did not find it amusing.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

On an only mildly related note: if you play a rogue in World of Warcraft, do not attempt to pickpocket faction leaders. They do not seem to appreciate it.

At least Lady Sylvanas, Banshee Queen of the Undead, did not find it amusing.

I worked on The Realm, a proto-MMO put out by Sierra On-Line about the same time Ultima Online came out.  We were silly and naive enough to think letting players pick the pocket of other players was a good idea.

We quickly learned how wrong we were...

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I worked on The Realm, a proto-MMO put out by Sierra On-Line about the same time Ultima Online came out.  We were silly and naive enough to think letting players pick the pocket of other players was a good idea.

We quickly learned how wrong we were...

I had to look it up to be sure, but I couldn't remember if Elder Scrolls Online let players pickpocket other players. They can't, but apparently that didn't stop people from using "/me pickpockets "X" gold from you." and making others paranoid about it.

After about 2 weeks of running missions and doing as much as I could with my Vexor cruiser, I broke 100,000,000 isk this morning.

Today, having noticed that one of the frequent chat persons in my NPC corp had made a lot of isk (think gold, for normal games) by running down combat sites and looting them after wards, I did the same thing today.  Broke 200,000,000 in about 5 hours.

Missions, at least low level ones, in Eve are for chumps it seems.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

After about 2 weeks of running missions and doing as much as I could with my Vexor cruiser, I broke 100,000,000 isk this morning.

Today, having noticed that one of the frequent chat persons in my NPC corp had made a lot of isk (think gold, for normal games) by running down combat sites and looting them after wards, I did the same thing today.  Broke 200,000,000 in about 5 hours.

Missions, at least low level ones, in Eve are for chumps it seems.

Why should Eve be different from any other MMO? 

23 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Why should Eve be different from any other MMO? 

Because using spreadsheets in any other MMO would be overkill while spreadsheets in Eve is just barely scratching the surface? ;)

45 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Because using spreadsheets in any other MMO would be overkill while spreadsheets in Eve is just barely scratching the surface? ;)

When City of Heroes introduced its Incarnate Powers system, I needed a spreadsheet for each character I was taking through the system to track what powers I wanted for each character and what Incarnate Salvage they needed to progress.

Playing Guild Wars 2, I tried using spreadsheets to track what I needed to craft useful (consistently sellable) items, but that didn't work out well.

Admittedly spreasheets weren't where life begins with either game, but...

24 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Eve is down right now.  No reason given as yet, but I've got 10 isk that says they are being DDoS again.

Well now it's in VIP mode, which is "system is dead we are debugging" mode.  Hopefully will return soon.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well now it's in VIP mode, which is "system is dead we are debugging" mode.  Hopefully will return soon.

And now it's just dead...

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I just don't get why people make DDoS attacks. They get to be huge dicks to people they don't even know. End of story. What an accomplishment.

There is a theory going around, after the last DDoS attack on the Eve server, that this was an attempt by one of the larger factions to avoid some sort of in game event by making the game not available.  Never proved, of course, but it sorta fits.  There was a real case where a player had the power lines to his house cut to make it where he could not log on at a critical moment.  Some people think Eve is "Serious Business" and might be a bit unstable about it.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

There is a theory going around, after the last DDoS attack on the Eve server, that this was an attempt by one of the larger factions to avoid some sort of in game event by making the game not available.  Never proved, of course, but it sorta fits.  There was a real case where a player had the power lines to his house cut to make it where he could not log on at a critical moment.  Some people think Eve is "Serious Business" and might be a bit unstable about it.

It wasn't a DDoS.  I've read the report as to why it went down and I don't understand it at this time.  

Here is a link to the 1st report on it.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:01 AM, mlooney said:

This comment reminded me of Scott Manley's recounting of Eve's "Fountain War"... (23 min)