• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

The Demigoddess of Random Numbers is in full play today on Eve.  Belt rats are

1. Rare
  2. Acting weird (attacking drones instead of ships)
  3. Not dropping loot worth a damn.

Yesterday they were common, acting as expected and dropping fat loot.  Le Sigh.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The Demigoddess of Random Numbers is in full play today on Eve.  Belt rats are

1. Rare
  2. Acting weird (attacking drones instead of ships)
  3. Not dropping loot worth a damn.

Yesterday they were common, acting as expected and dropping fat loot.  Le Sigh.

That reminds me of a time on World of Warcraft. My group was finishing a quest in a low level area and the loot system was being annoying so I wanted to set it to Free For All, abbreviated to FFA. But I mistyped and announced to the group, "Loot set to FFS."

We all had a good laugh about that and one of my teammates announced that his loot had been set to FFS all day long. So as you see, @mlooney, you have fellow sufferers. We have all been there and I sympathise. :icon_eek:

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That reminds me of a time on World of Warcraft. My group was finishing a quest in a low level area and the loot system was being annoying so I wanted to set it to Free For All, abbreviated to FFA. But I mistyped and announced to the group, "Loot set to FFS."

We all had a good laugh about that and one of my teammates announced that his loot had been set to FFS all day long. So as you see, @mlooney, you have fellow sufferers. We have all been there and I sympathise. :icon_eek:

I also had similar instances of loot drops not being in my favour, one year for the Brewfest event I was making my attempt to get the Brewfest Ram mount from the tavern in Blackrock Depths. Since it was a daily quest during the event, some guildies and I would run through with multiple Alts. It got to the point where I ran out of Alts so I had to bow out of the group and let someone who hadn't done the event yet get a turn. Of course that's when the game decides the mount was going to drop.......

I did eventually get the mount the next year, but still you can't help but feel betrayed by the game.

I have one regular Pichu and one Pichu wearing a witch's hat.  I was really hoping to get a Pichu with a Santa hat, to match all the similarly-clad Pikachus, but the darn game just refuses to give me one.

I have, BTW, renamed one of my cyndaquils "Justin".

Last night, at a Mensa games event ( which usually means board games, card games, word games, trivia, and Werewolf), one of the guys brought a VR setup.  Goggles go over your eyes, headphones over your ears, and you hold a handle with a glowing tip in each hand.

And suddenly you're holding a blue lightsaber in your right hand, a red lightsaber in your left.  Boxes come flying towards you and you have to hit each box with the same-colored lightsaber, in the direction indicated by an arrow on the box.  When you hit a box, or when the lightsabers hit each other, you can feel the handle vibrate and see them spark.  And it's all synchronized with music, so you're swinging in synch with the beat and almost dancing.

I am in love.  Where is there an arcade with one of these?  How much is a Playstation 4 and the VR gear?

I didn't even start with my first try until about 11:30pm, and took turns with a few others until maybe 2:30am.  And then kept playing without interruption until almost 4am when most folks had gone to bed.  (It's an all-weekend event, so people were playing various stuff 24 hours, but I was only there Saturday night.)  It was a surprisingly good workout, and I enjoyed the electronic/techno music, which was a great match for the game.  I endorse this product and/or service!

New Nintendo Direct.

This one is all about the Nintendo Switch. Let's break it down:

• Super Mario Maker 2, now featuring slopes! June 2019
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order. Now including Carol Danvers, a.k.a. Captain Marvel. Summer 2019
  • BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! Now featuring 270 levels and 2-player mode.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is getting the Ver. 3.0 Update soon. Features unknown, but remember that Joker from Persona 5 was confirmed for the DLC, and he'll be ready in April. We got a glimpse of his 3D model too.
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker gets two updates:
    • The free update is a 2-player update, available today.
    • The paid DLC includes new challenges and courses
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Fighting demons through a gothic castle, using all sorts of reality-bending powers such as gravity-inverting, laser travel, and voice acting. Summer 2019.
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2. Building and defending a village. Eh. Looks alright. July 12, 2019.
  • Speaking of Dragon Quest, we got another game, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition. A neat-looking feature is it lets you switch between 8-bit and 3D graphics, chiptune and orchestral music, and English and Japanese audio at any time. Fall release.
  • Disney TSUM TSUM Festival. Sure. Why not.
  • Starlink: Battle for Atlas gets a new update this April. Every member of Team Star Fox, not just Fox, has their own missions, especially since Fox's rival, Wolf, has a team of his own.
  • Rune Factory 4 Special is now on the Switch, if you're interested. 2019 release.
  • Rune Factory 5 is in development!
  • ONINAKI, by Square Enix. Rescue lost souls before they become monsters in an action RPG game. Summer 2019.
  • Yoshi's Crafted World is almost here. Lots of new features and lots of old ones that might be familiar if you've played Yoshi's Woolly World. Demo available today so you can give the first course a try.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses. We got some exposition about the three kingdoms, saw snippets of both anime- and 3d-animated cutscenes, learned that the Three Houses are school houses akin to Gryphondor and Slytherin and apparently you're a professor at said school when you're not fighting, and saw some gameplay of battles, which apparently happen during class trips. Of course, you're still the Tactician, and your troops are the students themselves, giving you some extra incentive to keep everyone else alive beyond "Dying is bad, m'kay?" And I'm sure the protagonist has a personal stake in this, but I didn't see that all that much in the video. July 26, 2019.
  • Tetris? Tetris! Tetris 99, to be specific. There's an online aspect, where other players can attack back, filling your grid with garbage. Attack back by filling lines and such. Oh, and the whole thing's free. Get it now! No, seriously, it's available now.
  • Dead by Daylight, a survival horror game, is now on the Switch. Nintendo's not pulling punches; they've openly accepted the fans of blood, gore, and violence and are letting everyone know. Fall 2019.
  • Undertale's sequel, Deltarune, is also getting a Switch port. The trailer is full of hilarity at avoiding spoilers by covering things with the Annoying Dog from the first game. Chapter 1 (the only chapter that currently exists in any version, it seems) will be available February 28 on the eShop. For free! (More chapters currently in development (...will not be free)).
  • Daemon X Machina, an upcoming mech game, has a demo of the first mission available today. Give it a shot. The full game should be out this Summer.
  • GRID Autosport is now on the Switch. It provides realistic racing, difficulty that scales to your skills, varied courses, and online and local multiplayer. Summer 2019.
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, now on the Switch. Go through Viking Hell (yes, that's what they called it) in a journey of self-discovery and such. Spring 2019.
  • And now for the end-of-direct rapidfire list of new Switch releases:
    • Mortal Kombat 11, available April 23
    • Unravel two, available March 22
    • Assassin's Creed III Remastered, available May 21. Includes all the DLC
    • Final Fantasy VII, available March 26
    • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy!, available March 20
    • Final Fantasy IX, available today
  • Astral Chain, by Platinum Games. Some cool sci-fi game where you play as a pair of cops with awesome toys, from laser bows to motorcycles to robot dogs. There's voice acting, suggesting some deeper lore about the main characters. It looks pretty cool. Available August 30, 2019
  • In case you're wondering about Bayonetta 3, they're still working on it. ...that's it.
  • A choppy ocean in a storm? A tiny ship, barely held together? An animated Link? It's The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening! 3D graphics and new orchestration. A fine remaster. I wonder if they're gonna add in little fun details to muddle up the series timeline even more. 2019 release.

So, nothing really huge this time, unless you're a super fan of <insert series here>, in which case, <insert game in said series here> was probably the major highlight.

Honestly, I was expecting a Smash Bros. character trailer for Joker. Ah well.

Astral Chain looks kinda neat, though.

Okay, so I missed the last two big Nintendo vids (about the debut of Pokemon Sword and Shield, and about the Smash Ultimate 3.0 update and Joker DLC). Let's recap, then:

Smash 3.0 Update:

DLC:

• DLC Challenger Pack 1: Joker from Persona 5, coupled with the stage Mementos, eleven music tracks from Persona 5, 4, and 3, and several spirits from Persona 5.
  • DLC Mii Fighter Costumes: Morgana hat (Persona 5); Teddie hat (Persona 4); Persona 4 Protagonist Outfit; Persona 3 Protagonist Outfit; Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) and Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Free content:

• Stage Builder
  • Video Editor
  • Upload videos and stages to the app!

Feb 27 Pokemon Direct: Pokemon Sword and Shield:

The Galar region is based on the United Kingdom, specifically Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland).

New starters: The Grass-type Grookey, which is a monkey. The Fire-type Scorbunny, which is a rabbit. The Water-type Sobble, which is a lizard, a chameleon it seems.

And now, the June 5 Pokemon Direct

Theme music!

New Pokemon:

• Wooloo, the uncreatively-named sheep. Its wool is used for various products. Useful.
  • Gossifleur, a flower Pokemon. Its spores have healing properties.
  • Eldegoss, the evolved form of Gossifleur. Looks like it's based on a cotton plant. Its seeds also have healing properties.
  • Drednaw, a new turtle Pokemon that looks like it's based on a snapping turtle. Awesome.
  • Corviknight, a new bird Pokemon that's a giant corvid (re: crow, raven). It's a taxi service, essentially, serving the purpose of HM Fly from older games.
  • Zacian, a Legendary canine Pokemon that wields a sword in its mouth.
  • Zamazenta, a Legendary canine Pokemon that has an armored shield-like mane.

There's a lot of returning Pokemon, so I won't get into them, but if you're excited about Hippopotas, you're in luck.

Bikes are back, as are new water-bikes that have air tanks instead of wheels. I guess that's the replacement for Surf, maybe?

Fishing and generic berry trees are also back.

You can whistle to get the attention of wild Pokemon.

There is now a very clear Overworld. As opposed to the numerous Routes from before, the overworld, called the Wild Area, is where all the catching is done.

• In the Wild Area, you have full control over the camera. No more bad angles!
  • There are red beacons at places. Head over to them with your friends...wait, what?
  • That's right. ACTUAL MULTIPLAYER. Meet up with other players in the Wild Area.

The red beacons are just one place where you can use the games' new "supercharge" mechanic: DYNAMAXING

• When a Pokemon is Dynamaxed, they become giant. Remember those episodes of the anime with giant Pokemon? The giant Dragonite at Bill's Lighthouse? The Island of Giant Pokemon (robotic or no, they were giant)? That time Ash's Treecko and somebody's Gulpin somehow became kaiju-sized? You can do that on command.
  • It's a bit limited, though. You can only use it once per battle, and it only lasts for three turns, so choose carefully.
  • But while it's active, your Pokemon gets a big stat boost, and its attacks are supercharged.
  • Somebody needs to arrange a multiplayer battle where you pit a Dynamaxed Tyranitar against a Dynamaxed Volcarona for maximum kaiju.
  • Actually, I'm wondering if you can use Mega Evolution (introduced in Gen 6) and Z-Moves (Gen 7) while Dynamaxed. Imagine a Dynamaxed Mega Rayquaza using Dragon Ascent. With stat buffs. Dear God...

Those red beacons in the Wild Area trigger something called a Max Raid Battle.

• One wild Pokemon is Dynamaxed for the entire battle.
  • His opponent is four players simultaneously. Again: ACTUAL MULTIPLAYER. You even need four players to start the battle in the first place.
  • Only one of the players can Dynamax their Pokemon during a Max Raid Battle, so coordination is key.
  • When the Pokemon is weakened, you can catch it as normal. Some Pokemon can only be caught during a Max Raid Battle, which encourages multiplayer I guess.
  • Which Pokemon are available depends on the in-game location as well as the in-game weather. So team up often if you want to catch 'em all.

Gyms are important in the Galar Region, since Pokemon Battles are a popular sport.

• Gyms are built in places that allow Dynamaxing, which means kaiju fights are a regular thing here too.

Some minor information:

• The region's Professor is Professor Magnolia. She specializes in researching the Dynamax phenomenon.
  • The Professor's assistant is Sonia. She's also Professor Magnolia's granddaughter.
  • Milo is the Grass-type Gym Leader. He has an Eldegoss, which is seen Dynamaxed in the trailer, so that's gonna be fun for you if you picked Sobble.
  • Pokemon Gyms also have a flying drone camera, which may or may not be a Rotom judging by a symbol on the recording screen.
  • The region's Champion is Leon. He has a Charizard and a sizeable winning streak.
  • Leon's brother is your rival, Hop. He gets started at the same time as you, and it looks like he picks the Pokemon weak to yours.
  • Character customization is back, it looks like.

And finally: The release date. November 15, 2019. Simultaneous global release. Have fun, everybody!

I don't play Eve Online anymore, but I still sometimes hear about things that go on with the game, and someone on a discord server I'm on posted this killboard entry:

https://zkillboard.com/kill/77012809/

At a glance it's a Titan kill (a Gallente Erebus to be specific), but then I noticed where it was killed, Jita, one of the market hubs in the game, probably the busiest market hub, and it's a .9 system which is considered High-sec.  So wait a minute, how the heck did a Titan get to Jita? There's supposed to be restrictions keeping supercapitals and Titans out of high-sec.

Searching the killboard's top kills in the last week turned up a second Erebus, and a Nyx (Gallente supercarrier) killed in the same system, on the same day (May 31st) within half an hour of each other. WTF?  Time to use Google-fu, which brought up this gem:

So it looks like CCP found some botters and dropped them in Jita to let the players whack some pinatas. But, that wasn't all! A friend found this news report on the event and included other ships to suffer the same fate:

The final tally from this event looks to be a Naglfarthree Rorqual miners, two Nyx, a Hel, and the two Erebus titans.

It kinda gets me giddy that there are devs who simply don't just ban or delete accounts, they'll go as far as ensure that at least some of the assets being used to commit acts like botting, don't wind up collecting dust.

So, E3 is underway, and Nintendo dropped their expected Nintendo Direct.

Let's take a look...

Let's take a look...

• First, a newcomer to Super Smash Bros.: Dragon Quest characters! The Hero is the name of the character, belonging to four Dragon Quest protagonists: Ireburn the Luminary from Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (the default character model), Eight from Dragon Quest VIII, Solo from Dragon Quest IV, and Erdrick (or Roto) from Dragon Quest III. They'll come out in the Summer of 2019.
  • Then a little showcase of the new Dragon Quest game, featuring the aforementioned Ireburn and friends in Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition.
  • Next: Luigi's Mansion 3, featuring a new grappling hook feature of the new Poltergust, a goo copy of Luigi called Gooigi for multiplayer and extra puzzles, and the Scarescraper, a multiplayer tower. 2019 release, but we knew that.
  • Then we got The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: Tactics. A game based on The Dark Crystal, if anyone remembers that movie. Looks like a Fire Emblem-esque tactical RPG or something. 2019 release.
  • More on The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake. There's a new side mode that lets you make your own dungeons. Neat. September 20, 2019. Not that far away.
  • Something from Square Enix: a Trials of Mana remake for the Switch. Early 2020 release.
  • Speaking of, we get Collection of Mana, which contains the first 3 games in the Trials of Mana series: Final Fantasy AdventureSecret of Mana, and Trials of Mana. Available today.
  • The Witcher: Wild Hunt: Complete Edition. 2019 release. Who's excited? (not me; I'm just asking)
  • More info on Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Looks like a number of important non-student characters were once students themselves, but now one or more of them are antagonists. Some class reunion, huh? July 26, 2019 release.
  • Resident Evil? Sure! Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 for the Switch. Why not.
  • And we get Travis Touchdown showing up for No More Heroes III. Excited yet? 2020 release.
  • Contra: Rogue Corps. A new Contra game! Looks pretty cool, if you ask me. Some unusual characters in a classic run-and-gun game. September 24, 2019. Now features wireless co-op and online multiplayer.
  • Meanwhile, you can play all the Contra games, from the original to Contra III: The Alien Wars, to Super Contra, Contra: Hard Corps, Probotector, Probotector: Alien Rebels, and some more that only have Japanese names, in Contra: Anniversary Collection. 10 Contra games and a 74-page eBook. Also available today.
  • Daemon X Machina. Not much is new here; just some new shots of giant mech battles and voice-acted cutscenes. Still cool. September 13, 2019.
  • Panzer Dragoon, a kind of flying shooter game where you're riding a dragon and shooting enemies. Looks nice. Slated for a Winter 2019 release. 
  • On the subject of Pokemon Sword and Shield, you can use the Pokeball Plus accessory to carry Pokemon around with you. We also got some footage of the Water-type gym and its Gym Leader, Nessa. She has a Drednaw, by the way.
  • And we get some information on Astral Chain: apparently the enemies are named Chimeras. Oh, and yes, it still looks awesome. August 30, 2019.
  • And we get a game that looks like it's set in the 1920's: Empire of Sin. Who wants to feel like Al Capone? 2020 release.
  • A Marvel game involving the Avengers and other heroes against a whole bunch of villains: Modok, Magneto, Surtur, Thanos... Looks like fun. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order. July 19, 2019. There's also an expansion pass that throws in content from Marvel KnightsX-Men, and the Fantastic Four, available starting this Fall.
  • And more footage from Cadence of Hyrule, the official crossover game between Crypt of the NecroDancer and The Legend of Zelda. Play as Cadence, Link, and Zelda. Fight to the beat on June 13, 2019. Hey, that's two days from now!
  • Another Mario and Sonic Olympics game. Play such sports as: Soccer, 100m Hurdles, Horseback riding, surfboarding, and more. Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, available November 2019.
  • And a look at the new Animal Crossing game for the Switch, featuring a deserted island this time. You'll have to gather resources on your own this time and literally build the town from scratch. There's also multiplayer, it looks like. So, pretty much Minecraft, kinda. ...and, of course, Tom Nook still charges you for everything. Sigh. Animal Crossing: New Horizons has been pushed back to a March 20, 2020 release, just to polish it a little more.
  • And the quick blitz-through of games that don't warrant a segment on their own:
    • Spyro: Reignited Trilogy. September 3, 2019
    • Hollow Knight: Silksong. Coming soon.
    • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. September 20, 2019
    • Minecraft: Dungeons. Spring 2020.
    • The Elder Scrolls: Blades. Fall 2019. Wait, another Elder Scrolls? When did this happen? Did the Bethesda conference happen already?
    • My Friend Pedro. June 20, 2019. There's guns and motorcycle chases, so it looks better than the title implies.
    • Doom: Eternal. Coming soon.
    • The Sinking City. Fall 2019.
    • Wolfenstein: Youngblood. July 26, 2019.
    • Dead By Daylight. September 24, 2019.
    • Alien: Isolation. 2019 release.
    • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition. Winter release.
    • Dragon Quest: Builders 2. July 12, 2019.
    • Stranger Things 3: The Game. July 4, 2019.
    • Just Dance 2020. November 5, 2019.
    • Catan (the video game port of the board game). June 20, 2019. Looks like it supports custom board layouts.
    • New Super Lucky's Tale. Fall 2019.
    • Dauntless. Late 2019. You wanna play Dauntless on the Switch? Now you can!
    • Super Mario Maker 2. June 28, 2019. 
  • And finally, in another fakeout-except-not-really-fakeout nearly identical to the "Rivals" trailer that introduced King K. Rool, we have another newcomer: Banjo and Kazooie are Raring to Go! (hah. Rare.) Looks like the Donkey Kong cast is excited. Fall 2019 release.
  • And finally finally... The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now in development!

So. Dragon Quest protagonists and Banjo and Kazooie are now in Smash, new Contra, Mario/Sonic Olympics, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a Dark Crystal game, No More Heroes III, Trials of Mana remake, Panzer Dragoon remake, Breath of the Wild sequel... Anything else sound exciting?

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

• Then we got The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: Tactics. A game based on The Dark Crystal, if anyone remembers that movie. Looks like a Fire Emblem-esque tactical RPG or something. 2019 release.

Based on the title, I'd say it's specifically based on the upcoming Netflix series (which is a prequel series to the movie).

1 hour ago, Zorua said:
  • Something from Square Enix: a Trials of Mana remake for the Switch. Early 2020 release.
  • Speaking of, we get Collection of Mana, which contains the first 3 games in the Trials of Mana series: Final Fantasy AdventureSecret of Mana, and Trials of Mana. Available today.

Hopefully they more faithfully remaster the soundtracks, the Secret of Mana remake last year was really hit or miss with how the updated tracks sounded. Of course it did have the option of using the original SNES tracks but still.

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

Catan (the video game port of the board game). June 20, 2019. Looks like it supports custom board layouts.

Can basically be summed up as such:

I've been playing Niantic's other AR game, Ingress.  Well, technically Ingress Prime.  I freely admit that I started playing it after I heard that after reaching a high enough level you're allowed to recommend new spots for portals, which are also used as PokeStops and Gyms in Pokemon Ho, and will presumably be used for whatever Wizards United winds up sending us out into the real world for.  Among other things, I want to use the "hidden gems" category to suggest our practice, because I still hear people say they've lived nearby for years and never realized we were here.  Anything that makes more people aware of a small business is a big help!  And yes, I'm playing under a pseudonym, who knows if they'd pay any attention to any signs I work there.

It's Nintendo Direct time! With immediate follow-up video with Sakurai.

• Blizzard's popular team shooter Overwatch is coming to Nintendo Switch! Now Genji mains can ask for healing on the Switch! Available October 15.
  • More details on Luigi's Mansion 3. The game takes place in a hotel, where each floor has a different theme: egyptian desert, disco dance floor, pirate-themed restaurant, etc. There's also 4v4 multiplayer games. Available on October 31, just in time for Halloween.
  • Super Kirby Clash is a free Kirby game. Play in teams of four and battle different enemies. Kirby can have different jobs (read: character classes), so pick the right set of jobs for the enemy. Available now.
  • Trials of Mana remake details. Full 3D graphics, each protagonist has a different story, voice acting, class changes, jumping and combos that weren't in the original, and more. Available April 24, 2020.
  • Return of the Obra Dinn is a mystery game where you explore an empty ship, the Obra Dinn, that disappeared a long time ago and returned just as mysteriously. You have a mystical pocketwatch to view the past to see glimpses of the past and place your deductions as to what happened.
  • Remember that unnamed game, "Town"? Well now it has a name: Little Town Hero. The rule of the town is that you shouldn't leave, but problems arise when monsters come up. You don't just fight with weapons, but with ideas, such as "Slam", "Throw", "Pelt", "Psyche guard", "Desperation", or "Improvise". These immediately become combat things, sure, but it's nice to see combat is a bit more generalized here, at least in the names of attacks. I wonder if one idea is "Distract". You can also move around to get support from townspeople, so they can help in battle against different foes around the map.
    • Oh, and Toby Fox of Undertale fame did most of the soundtrack. I'm expecting a lot of recurring leitmotifs.
    • Available October 16. Pre-purchase it today if you want.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • DLC Challenger Pack #3, containing new fighter Banjo & Kazooie, will be released September 4...wait, that's done and gone now! Stay tuned for a special showcase video.
    • Meanwhile, we get a teaser for DLC Challenger Pack #4: Terry Faces the Fury! That's right, Terry Bogard from SNK's Fatal Fury: The King of Fighters is coming to Smash this November.
    • But can there really be only one more fighter? NO! More fighters will be released outside the Fighters Pass; development isn't over yet. Paper Mario still has a shot!
  • And a bit more on the Switch remake of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. For the most part, it's the same as it was on Game Boy and Game Boy Color, art style aside. But it has a new Chamber Dungeon, where you can earn chambers on your adventures and use them to make your own dungeon. You can then save those dungeons to compatible amiibo so your friends can play. September 20 release.
  • Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition. Releases on September 27, but there's a free demo out now.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, a port of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, which itself is a crossover between the Megami Tensei series and the Fire Emblem series. It includes extra music and some more story elements and characters that weren't in the original. January 17, 2020. Pre-purchase it today.
  • Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise. Play as Aaliyah Davis, an FBI Agent reopening an old case, connecting to a story following York, an FBI Agent, 14 years in the past. I'm not familiar with the Deadly Premonition series, but based on the title and trailer here, I hope it's a kind of puzzle mystery game. Available in 2020.
    • On top of that, the original, Deadly Premonition Origins, is available today on the e-shop.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition is coming to the Nintendo Switch. Another RPG with online elements. You can cross-save between Steam and Switch too. Available today on the e-shop.
  • So, we know about the Nintendo Switch. But the question is: can it run Doom? The answer: Yes. Doom 64 will be available on November 22.
  • Rogue Company, a new franchise by Hi-Rez Studios. Rogue Company is a secret specialist combat team embarking on various missions against the infamous organization, Jackal. Various objective-based gamemodes are available, with lots of gear, maps, and skins to customize your experience. Available 2020.
  • A few details on Pokemon Sword and Shield
    • Character customization returns. You can't just customize shirts, hats, pants, eyes, and hair, but also jackets, socks, shoes, accessories, gloves, and even makeup.
    • Pokemon Camp, this game's equivalent to Pokemon-amie and Pokemon Refresh. Now all of your Pokemon appear, not just one at a time. You can also access other players' camps if they're camped out in the Wild Area.
    • Curry on Rice? Sure. It's a dish you can cook up in your camps. They turn out differently depending on what you put into it, much like the Poke-Blocks or Poffins.
    • Polteageist, a Ghost-type that hides in tablewear, such as teapots. Apparently it tastes like tea. Weird
    • Cramorant, a Flying/Water-type bird with a new ability: Gulp Missile. When Cramorant uses Surf or Dive, it'll catch a fish; if it gets hit like this, it'll deal a retaliatory attack.
    • November 15 release, as a reminder.
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Nintendo Switch Online. This Nintendo Switch Online application lets you play various SNES games on the Switch. It's got 20 games at start, with more to be added as time goes on.
    • But to start:
      • BRAWL Brothers; Breath of Fire; Demon's Crest; F-Zero
      • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics; Kirby's Dream Course; Kirby's Dream Land 3; Pilotwings
      • Star Fox; Stunt Race FX; Super E.D.F. EARTH DEFENSE FORCE; Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
      • Super Mario Kart; Super Mario World; Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; Super Metroid
      • Super Puyo Puyo 2; Super Soccer; Super Tennis; The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    • There's also a special SNES Controller compatible with the Switch, available only for Nintendo Switch Online members. Now people can play Smash with an SNES controller.
  • Tetris 99 is getting a free update: Tetris 99 Invictus, which is the next difficulty level up from Tetris 99 Maximus! There's some new skins, player icons, 2-player share battle where it's 2 humans against 97 computers. The update is available as of November 5 (yesterday), while all the content so far plus a Switch Online 12-month membership will have a physical release November 6 (today).
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will feature more events, including horseback riding, sport climbing, rugby 7s, Karate, skateboarding, badminton, surfing, and more. There's also retro 8-bit events, minigames, and a story mode.
  • Daemon X Machina, the up-coming mech game, will have a free demo available now. All the content in the demo will carry over to the full game too. The demo also features four-player co-op, which is available over local wireless too. Full game available September 13.
  • STAR WARS: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Enjoy the outdated graphics on the Switch on September 24.
  • Lightning round!
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition. You have to track down a living weapon called the Child of Prophecy. All of the game's DLC content and expansions are included. October 15.
    • Assassin's Creed: Rebel Collection. Contains Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed: Rogue. A two-in-one deal! All DLC included as well. December 6
    • Dauntless for the Switch will have lots of new content. 2019 release.
  • Lightning round 2!
    • Just Dance 2020. November 5, 2019
    • GRID Autosport. September 19, 2019
    • Farming Simulator 20. December 3, 2019
    • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. September 20, 2019
    • NBA 2K20. September 6, 2019
    • Call of Cthulhu. October 8, 2019
    • The Outer Worlds. Coming soon.
    • Devil May Cry 2. September 19, 2019
    • Vampyr. October 29, 2019
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
    • Nook Inc. would like you to sign up for the Deserted Island Getaway Package.
    • Experience life on a deserted island.
    • Relax and camp out. Your tent is complimentary.
    • Your NookPhone is also complimentary, with pre-installed apps to help you with whatever you might need to know.
    • Part of the Deserted Island experience is crafting your own tools and decorations. Luckily for you, Nook Inc. has staff on hand with a workbench to make things easier.
    • You can sell things you find and don't want, and buy things from staff.
    • There's also a Nook Miles program. Earn Nook Miles through a host of activities.
    • Enjoy the scenery, even as the weather and seasons change. The night sky is particularly beautiful.
    • You don't have to be the only one on the island. Connect to up to seven other players and invite them to your island, or visit theirs if you like.
    • So enjoy the Nook Inc. Deserted Island Getaway Package on March 20, 2020.
      • *offer not available in Hyrule, Cascade Kingdom, or Sanghelios. Nook Inc. is not required to compensate for any unexpected costs that may come up during your stay.
  • And finally: Xenoblade Chronicles - Definitive Edition. Featuring smoother animation, cleaner art style, and, it seems, what looks like previously cut content. Enjoy traveling the vast land of Bionis on the Switch in 2020.
  • But we're not done yet! Remember? We still have a Banjo & Kazooie showcase, presented by Mr. Sakurai himself.
  • First, Sakurai gives a brief history on Banjo's games, including his actual origin in Diddy Kong Racing and his latest game, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, on the Xbox 360.
    • Sakurai: So, if you want to play Banjo-Kazooie today, you can do so on Xbox.
    • (background laughter)
    • I know this is a Nintendo broadcast, but please, give the game a try. On Xbox.
    • (more background laughter)
  • Weird hearing Sakurai promote a rival company's games, but hey, it's funny.
  • Onto the game itself, Smash has included ten tracks from Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. From Banjo-Kazooie, we have original track Freezeezy Peak and remixes for the main theme, Spiral Mountain, Mumbo's Mountain, Treasure Trove Cove, Gobi's Valley, and Mad Monster Mansion. From Banjo-Tooie, there's a new remix for the Klungo battle, and the original tracks for the Mr. Patch battle and the Lord Woo Fak Fak battle (weird name, but okay, sure).
  • A lot of Banjo and Kazooie's moves are based on moves from his home games, including his jump animations, though some of them are slightly tweaked to fit Smash a bit better. There's a lot of love in here.
    • A note about their side special, Wonder Wing. It's an invincible charging attack, but it only has five uses per life, so if you use up all five and haven't died yet, you've lost an attack. Shields can resist it, and you can be grabbed out of it, but it's a good horizontal recovery move too.
    • I should also note that Banjo and Kazooie have a second mid-air jump, and they can jump and air-dodge after using their up special.
  • As for the stage, it's Spiral Mountain, of course. Below the main platform, there's a spiral pathway leading up to the top, so there's a lower platform that can change in height or side of the stage, affecting your recovery. There's also some smaller platforms that appear, and even a bridge to Grunty's lair when it's in the right position.
    • The stage also has some cameos from other characters in the game: Grunty, Boggles, Mumbo Jumbo (for once not making a redstone video...heh, jokes), the Jinjos, some Buzzbombs, and even Tooty way down in the bottom of the stage.
  • And in other news, it's the 5.0.0 update, available today.
    • Home-Run Contest returns! It's the final new gamemode added to Ultimate (maybe; who knows what the future holds?). Now with new graphics; hit the sandbag hard enough, he'll go into space! It also includes 2-player mode.
    • Mii Fighters' movesets can be customized as well, starting now. Previously submitted Mii Fighters can't be customized; so you'll have to re-upload them to allow this.
    • Mii Fighter costumes:
      • Goemon from Mystical Ninja Goemon. Mii Swordfighter.
      • Proto Man from Mega Man. Mii Gunner.
      • Zero from Mega Man X. Mii Swordfighter.
      • Team Rocket Grunts from Pokemon Red & Blue. Mii Brawler.
      • And... SANS? Sans from Undertale as a Mii Gunner costume!
    • The Sans outfit also comes with a new music track: a remix of Megalovania from Undertale, made by Undertale creator Toby Fox himself.
  • And we have the Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake amiibo set to release on September 20.
  • As for Challenger Pack #4, we get to see a little bit of Terry's in-game model and moves too, plus a hint at the stage.
  • To close it out, a word from Sakurai.
    • "Finally, it was announced that we will be working on even more DLC fighters. To me, it feels like the finish line is sliding farther away. You may wonder 'How much longer can he be involved in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?' But I'm also excited. Adding more characters into the game means that more game worlds will be added to the series, and ultimately, that means there will be an even greater opportunity to delight the fans. At the same time, I feel that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now representing so many characters and game worlds, that it's become an enormous game. Even if the Super Smash Bros. series continues moving forward, I doubt there will eve be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again. And so, I want to keep improving on this record as much as possible, and I will continue to work hard at developing the game. I appreciate your support. That's it for today. Thank you very much."

Anyone else playing Harry Potter: Wizards Unite?  I'm finding that Ingress, Pokemon GO, and Wizards Unite, while using the same locations, are very different games and are all enjoyable.  However, there just isn't time to keep up with all three, so I find that PoGO is the one that's falling by the wayside.

Two things. One, Nintendo just dropped Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury.

• First some history about SNK's Neo Geo system as well as Fatal Fury and other SNK series
  • About Terry:
    • In one-on-one matches, Terry always faces his opponent, just like Ryu and Ken do.
    • A lot of Terry's moves are based on moves from the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters games, though his up aerial attack is a Smash original.
    • Just like with Ryu and Ken, Terry's special moves have command inputs, and all of them get stronger if you hold the attack button than if you just tap it.
    • Terry actually has a separate forward special and backward special, a first for Super Smash Bros. His Forward Special is Burning Knuckle, a sideways lunge attack. His Backwards Special is Crack Shoot, a kind of backflip kick that launches him forwards (similar to Zero Suit Samus's down special).
    • Terry's Super Special Moves can only be used when he's over 100% damage (in stock or timed matches) or has less than a third of his starting health (in stamina matches). They're high-risk, high-reward moves used exclusively through a command input. He can use Power Geyser or Buster Wolf.
    • Basically, this means instead of four specials like everyone else, he has seven.
    • His Final Smash uses Power Geyser, Power Dunk, and Buster Wolf in quick succession.
  • About the stage:
    • It's official title is "King of Fighters Stadium".
    • It has walls on either side, but if fighters are knocked into them with high enough damage, they can punch through them and be KO'd to the side. The ceiling doesn't have this restriction.
    • The stage also has about 20 cameo characters from various games in the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series, plus a few other SNK games like Art of Fighting.
    • Mai Shiranui is deliberately absent, because "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is for good boys and girls of many different ages." Translation: too much cleavage.
  • About music:
    • Sakurai wanted to mainly include Terry's various themes, but many of them didn't fit the Smash atmosphere, so he and the devs branched out to look at other SNK music. They narrowed it down to 50 tracks and sent their list to SNK, expecting SNK to okay maybe 10 to 20 of them. Instead, SNK said "OK." So there are FIFTY NEW MUSIC TRACKS! Jesus Christ, SNK! There's some Nintendo series that don't have that many!
  • About Spirits:
    • And we've got 11 new spirit battles from various SNK games, with a neat 16-bit SNK-style background.
  • About Mii Fighters:
    • Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown as a Mii Swordfighter costume
    • Ryo Sakazaki from Art of Fighters as a Mii Brawler costume
    • Iori Yagami from The King of Fighters as a Mii Brawler costume
    • Returning from Smash 4 is Virtua Fighters' Akira (Brawler) and Jacky (Brawler).
  • About the 6.0 Update:
    • When setting up arenas in online play, you can send messages to other players (from a list).
    • You can also change the rules of the room without having to close it entirely and make a new one. A welcome change.
    • And you can play Smash with anyone again. Set the room to public with no passwords, and you can fight anyone.
  • Finally, Terry's trailer from the September 4 Direct wasn't the full version, as there was no gameplay. Sakurai ends the showcase with the full version.

Fifty...

But that's not all. Lately I've been getting into the Overwatch hype, even though I don't have OverwatchOverwatch's main criticism is its lack of story in the main game, relegating all of the story to cinematics, comics, and a few archive events that take place in the past. Well, Blizzard Entertainment decided to fix that.

That's right. Overwatch 2! It's pretty much an expansion pack to the original, but it adds some pretty neat stuff.

• Story Missions and Hero Missions
    • Finally, the story moves forward in the actual game.
    • First mission takes place in Rio de Janeiro, where certain members of Overwatch officially meet Lucio for the first time.
    • Other missions take place in familiar and new maps, such as Route 66 and 
    • Talents: You'll be able to level up your characters during these story missions, giving them more powerful abilities. For example, Mei's Cryo-Freeze (a self-healing move that leaves you invincible but immobile) can be upgraded to "Cold Snap", which instantly freezes nearby enemies when Cryo-Freeze ends.
  • New Characters
    • Echo first appeared in the original Overwatch cinematic trailer in a group shot, and debuted in person during the "Reunion" cinematic. It seems she'll be joining the roster soon enough.
    • Sojourn had a previous "appearance" as the mission control voice during Overwatch's "Storm Rising" event. Now she's confirmed as an upcoming playable character. Judging by her rifle, she might be another sniper character. She's also Canadian.
  • New Maps
    • Upcoming maps set in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Toronto (Canada), Gothenburg (Sweden), and Monte Carlo (Monaco) are on the way. The Toronto map will feature the Push gametype, while Gothenburg will be an Assault map.
  • Multiplayer
    • A new PvP mode, called Push, involves a robot pushing barricades toward either end of the map. Teams take control of the robot so he can push their wall (and, more importantly, not push the opponents' wall). Almost reminds me of the Tower Control game mode in Splatoon.
    • Worried about losing all your skins and sprays and such? Worried about missing out on new content? Fear not! Overwatch will continue development, receiving every new character and map that Overwatch 2 gets. Players of Overwatch will also see their progress linked to Overwatch 2, so you won't lose all your progress.

Looks pretty awesome. Not bad for a game I've never played.

I've been getting into Ingress more, but still playing Wizards Unite, too.  I guess I like the fact that Ingress involves interacting with other players, while WU is mostly a solitary pursuit.  Even if "interacting" sometimes means cursing as you see them take out a portal within minutes of your claiming it.  These days, I just figure that means more chances to take out enemy portals and build experience points, getting me that much closer to reaching level 10 and being able to recommend new portal/gym/inn sites!

A twofer over the last couple weeks.

On the 9th, we had a Pokemon direct.

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team are getting Switch remakes as "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX"
    • Looks like it combines both games into one, which I think means just merging the encounter tables.
    • 3D graphics and new camera angles for cutscenes, but otherwise it looks like the same gameplay.
    • March 6, 2020, if you want to buy it. There's a demo available now, and you can transfer data over from the demo to the full game.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield gets an Expansion Pass: the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra
    • Rather than adding the "third" version like with Emerald, Platinum, or Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, or "sequels" like with Black 2 and White 2, the expanded adventures will be paid DLC added onto the existing game
    • Each expansion pass includes 200 more Pokemon, including many Pokemon that didn't make it into the base game for Sword and Shield, plus a few new ones:
      • Kubfu [Fighting] and its evolved form, Urshifu, a new bear Pokemon based on kung fu (I guarantee a flood of them named Po)
        • Urshifu has two styles: the Single Strike style [Fighting/Dark], focusing on power, and the Rapid Strikes style [Fighting/Water], focusing on rapid blows.
        • Each has a separate Gigantamax form
      • Calyrex, a Psychic/Grass rabbit Pokemon said to have once ruled over part of the Galar region.
      • New forms for the Legendary Birds of Kanto, and two new Regi- Pokemon (as well as the return of the existing Regi-s)
      • Slowpoke has a new form, which is actually available now if you want it. You can't evolve it yet, but it's there.
      • Most Legendary Pokemon will be obtainable!
      • Gigantamax forms for Venusaur, Blastoise, and the Galar starters.
    • New outfits, including ones based on your rivals.
    • New maps! The Isle of Armor is an island area that includes what looks like a pair of Battle Tower areas, plus a dojo-style gym (not a Gym; a gym). The Crown Tundra is a mostly-snowy place with new ruins to explore.
      • The Isle of Armor has a general theme of growth. Hence the dojo and a Pokemon styled after kung fu.
      • The Crown Tundra has a general theme of exploration. Here you can explore the inside of Pokemon dens, which were previously only seen during Max Raid Battles against wild Dynamax Pokemon.
    • Each expansion pass costs about $30 USD. Getting the base game and its expansion simultaneously costs about $90 USD.
    • The Isle of Armor segment will come out in June 2020, and the Crown Tundra some time in Fall 2020. They're both part of the same expansion, so there's some delayed content even when it starts coming out, but it looks worth the wait.

And just yesterday, we got our final Smash Bros. character reveal.

BYLETH JOINS SMASH HOUSE!

• (but first, a lesson on how to count in binary)
  • Byleth, the player character of Fire Emblem: Three Houses, is the fifth fighter in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter's Pass, and the sixth Smash Ultimate DLC fighter overall.
    • Available on January 28 for about $6 USD. If you have the Fighters Pass, you'll get them automatically.
    • Both male and female Byleth are included, with their alts based on house leaders Dimitri, Edelgard, Claude; the goddess Sothis; and from their appearances from the end of the game.
    • They're a slow fighter, like Robin, and their grab doesn't have much range. They also don't have a good recovery; though it is a tether recovery with good reach, it's not so good for getting to high platforms.
    • Their sword, the Sword of the Creator, is also a whip, giving them reach in some of their moves.
    • They don't just use a sword, though. They also have legendary relics that they incorporate into their other moves:
      • Areadbhar, a legendary lance that Byleth uses for their side attacks, such as the side smash attack, forward and back air attacks, and side special. The side smash is stronger if you tilt it upward. The lance has a tip effect, dealing more damage if you hit from the tip rather than the shaft. The side special has him sweep Areadbhar forward, with a lot of reach.
      • Aymr, a legendary axe that Byleth uses for his down air, down smash, and down special. Good launch power. The down air has a meteor effect, while the down special gives a super armor effect and can be turned around. Using the down special can let you drop through soft platforms as well.
      • Failnaught, a legendary bow that Byleth uses for his neutral air and neutral special. For the neutral special can't fire until it's fully charged (but you can shield to cancel), but you could also charge it even further for immense damage (however, you can't cancel out of it at that point).
      • This means that they have every weapon in the traditional Fire Emblem weapon triangle (Sword, Lance, Axe), plus the Bow for good measure.
    • Sothis, a goddess, aids Byleth for their Final Smash.
  • Garreg Mach Monastery is the new stage. It's a central location in Three Houses.
    • The stage cycles through the marketplace outside the main gate, the reception hall, a bridge, and the cathedral in the back of the complex.
      • None of the areas have a lower blast line. Banned.
      • A glowing platform appears to take the fighters between the areas. This brief moment does have a lower blast line, so be quick with off-stage combos before the platform lands.
      • The Marketplace has two market stalls on either side. They can be destroyed for a bit of extra room. Background characters are from the Blue Lion House: Dimitri, Dedue, and Ingrid. You can also see the gatekeeper in the background.
      • The Reception Hall is largely just a flat stage with a couple of chandeliers on the ceiling (that can be knocked down). Good jumpers can reach those platforms; ironically, Byleth cannot, not on their own at least, despite this being their stage. There are tables that break if a lot of damage is done next to them, just like the signs on Suzaku Castle. In the background are characters from the Black Eagle House: Edelgard, Dorothea, and Petra.
      • The Bridge is one large flat stage with no platforms. Feel free to have fun. In the background are characters from the Golden Deer House: Claude, Hilda, and Lorenz. There's also a Pegasus Knight training in the background.
        • (as a side note, Claude and Hilda are the names of characters from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War; when you reach 17 games in the series and add like 40-plus characters per game, you might run out of names eventually)
      • The Cathedral has a couple of soft platforms to add a hint of verticality to the stage, but not by much. In the background, you can see Rhea, Seteth, and Flayn, who are all connected to the Church of Seiros because [spoilers].
  • Eleven music tracks are included with Byleth and the Garreg Mach Monastery, available to use on both the new stage and on the three existing Fire Emblem stages
    • A new arrangement of Three Houses' main theme, in English and Japanese
    • Fódlan Winds
    • Blue Skies and a Battle
    • Tearing Through Heaven
    • Chasing Daybreak
    • Between Heaven and Earth
    • Paths That Will Never Cross
    • The Apex of the World
    • The Edge of Dawn (Seasons of Warfare), again in both English and Japanese
  • His Classic Mode route is called "A Heroic Legacy". It ends with Master Hand and Crazy Hand, but with something amusing happening at the end.
  • Mii Fighter costumes:
    • Altaïr from Assassin's Creed (Swordfighter). They list his "series" as "Altaïr", probably because they don't want the word "assassin" directly associated with Smash (despite Joker using a gun...)
    • The Rabbids get a hat, so that's gonna be fun I guess.
    • X from Mega Man X (Gunner)
    • MegaMan.EXE from MegaMan Battle Network (Gunner).
    • Cuphead from Cuphead (Gunner). Smash just has tons of Indie love, doesn't it?
      • Like with Sans before, the Cuphead costume comes with a new music arrangement: Floral Fury, the Cagney Carnation battle music.
  • Richter and Dark Samus amiibo will be available on the 17th...which I guess was yesterday. amiibo Hunters, away!
  • In the last direct, we had an announcement that there would be more Smash fighters. So, how many?
    • SIX!
    • Challenger pack 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 will be added, bringing the total Smash Ultimate DLC fighters to 12, the total Ultimate newcomers to 23, and the total Smash fighters overall to 88!
    • The Super Smash Bros. Fighters Pass, Vol. 2 will be up for pre-purchase on January 28, same day as Byleth drops.
    • It costs $30 USD, 5 more than Vol. 1 (because it has one more character).
    • All challenger packs will be released by December 31, 2021! About as long as when we learned about Vol. 1 to when it finally filled up, but it's still impressive that we get two more years of new content to look forward to.
    • The new additions have already been decided, so spamming his Twitter or something with requests won't work.
    • As a bonus for getting the pass, you get the Ancient Soldier gear from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

So. Pokemon gets two new areas to explore with more new and old Pokemon, and Smash gets a mixed-weapon user that looks kinda fun and a promise of six more fighters. Hype?

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

What OS does the game run on?

Windows, and mobile devices!  They just released all the current DLC on Mobile a few months back too. Still more DLC to come for the PC next month as well.