• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

On a totally unrelated note,, World cup talk reminded me of World of Warships' Kings of the Sea VI tournament.  WoWS has no pretenses to be an e-sport, but they were enjoyable to watch. 

The current match was Russian server vs EU server.  The Russian Server finals were great, pitting Smile Gaming against their stablemates, Smile Saber.  While Smile Gaming swept 3 games  to 0, each game was down to the wire.  Smile Saber went on to demolish the EU runner-up OM to take 3rd place while EU winner RAIN handily beat Smile Gaming 3-1.

I'd include video links but the semi-finals are in an 8-hour long youtube video and the finals are in a 4-hour long one.  That's a lot to push through.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, The Old Hack said:

I just don't get why people make DDoS attacks. They get to be huge dicks to people they don't even know. End of story. What an accomplishment.

Ah, but bullying people you don't know and can't even see the faces of means you hardly have to put any effort at all into dehumanizing them! Plus, to someone who feels the need to assert their dominance over others, being able to affect hundreds or thousands of people at once must be quite a rush.

13 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Ah, but bullying people you don't know and can't even see the faces of means you hardly have to put any effort at all into dehumanizing them! Plus, to someone who feels the need to assert their dominance over others, being able to affect hundreds or thousands of people at once must be quite a rush.

Obviously. I still don't get it. It must be a flaw in my personality.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, The Old Hack said:

Obviously. I still don't get it. It must be a flaw in my personality.

When I was a child, I had a hard time understanding what other people were thinking and feeling, and went out of my way to correct this by consciously thinking about how other people think and what it would be like to be in their shoes. I still have a bit of trouble figuring out what to expect from people I just met, but with enough information I can usually put together in my head an approximation of just about anyone else's mind that at least makes sense to me (whether it's truly accurate is something I can't really know) - and I can even do it with people I really dislike or whose views I strongly disagree with.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

When I was a child, I had a hard time understanding what other people were thinking and feeling, and went out of my way to correct this by consciously thinking about how other people think and what it would be like to be in their shoes. I still have a bit of trouble figuring out what to expect from people I just met, but with enough information I can usually put together in my head an approximation of just about anyone else's mind that at least makes sense to me (whether it's truly accurate is something I can't really know) - and I can even do it with people I really dislike or whose views I strongly disagree with.

Sometimes I can do that. Not always. And I just can't manage to do it with this sort of sabotage.

Youtube video series by old returning Eve players who don't know current Eve data are extremely irritating.   

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo Direct: August 8, 2018

(wow, did I really not do this for the E3 reveal? ...here it is anyway, just in case you haven't watched it)

Here's a quick breakdown:

• Starting with a character reveal: Simon Lashes Out! That's right; Simon Belmont from Castlevania! "Hey man! Haven't seen you in a while. Now we can re-enact-"
  • The same trailer also reveals that Richter Crosses Over! Two! Two Castlevania protagonists! Ah ah ah! *dramatic thunder and lightning*
    • Incidentally, this means we currently have playable fighters from 32 unique video game franchises (well... 30, depending on how you count Yoshi and Wario) across 
  • On top of that, we get Alucard as an Assist Trophy and Dracula's Castle as a stage, complete with thirty-four music tracks!
    • Said Dracula's Castle stage has numerous enemies from the Castlevania games, from the Mummy to the Werewolf to the lightning-revealed silhouette of a character only called ????? (some people seem to recognize the silhouette as that of Kid Dracula). Dracula appears as a boss, but the conditions for his appearance are still a mystery. Hmm...
  • Right after that, we got two more Echo Fighters (re: clones... Wow, did I really not post here about E3? I guess I didn't. Huh.)
    • Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. He's a clone Echo Fighter of Roy, though he has Ike's recovery and a completely new Final Smash.
    • Dark Samus from the Metroid Prime trilogy. She's a clone of Bowser (I'm kidding).
  • We got some stage reveals as well. Previously, the GameXplain people managed to find 86 unique stages between the E3 direct and demo, and the character showcase videos, snapshots, and and portraits on the Smash Ultimate website. Well, we've bumped that number up to 103! For the record, there's only 120 stages across the entire series, and we're getting over 85% of them!
    • Stages from the N64 Smash Bros. retain their old look while stages from Melee onwards get a graphical makeover.
    • Only teased at in Mario's character showcase video, we now have confirmation of New Donk City Hall, based on the location from Super Mario Odyssey. It's a scrolling stage that goes up the tower to the top before cycling back down.
    • Tired of playing on the Wily Castle stage and having to fight the Yellow Devil every ten seconds? Say no more! Stage Hazards can be turned completely off. This might open up more stages for professional tournament play without having to stick with their Final Destination or Battlefield forms.
    • Can't pick just one stage? Pick two! The Stage Morph option lets you choose two stages. During the match, it will switch between them. You can set the switch to happen randomly or after a certain amount of time has passed. Mix things up!
    • And lastly, every stage will be available at start. There will be no unlockable stages; they're all available from the moment you turn the game on.
    • We saw a stage roster with all stages revealed so far. Including the random option, there's still enough room for six more...
  • "Vegeta, what does the scouter say about the number of music tracks?" "It's over EIGHT-HUNDRED!" "WHAT!? EIGHT-HUNDRED!?" That's just for music for stages; including menu music and fanfare, that goes up to "OVER NINE-HUNDRED!" For the record, assuming no looping or repeats, that's over 28 hours of music! Yeesh. Trips to Namek don't take that long.
    • Music is now grouped by series instead of by stage, so if you're playing a Zelda stage, you can use any Zelda music in the game.
    • You can also make your own playlists, and listen to them with the Switch in handheld mode like any music player.
  • When setting up a match in online multiplayer, the FIRST thing you do is make a rule set.
    • By the way, Stamina mode is an available mode for multiplayer matches.
  • Final Smash Meter!
    • Enable this, and you can build up a Final Smash meter. When it's full, you can use a weaker version of your Final Smash. Multiple characters can now have Final Smashes ready, though only one can use them at a time. Since Final Smashes can be not random (chasing the Smash Ball was definitely random) and are also weaker in this way, this means we might be seeing Final Smashes in professional tournaments.
  • Game modes!
    • Squad Strike! It's a 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 elimination-style match. Basically a three-or-five-stock battle where each stock is a different fighter. You could also have five players per side.
    • Tournament mode! Back to how it was in Brawl, you can host your own local tournaments with up to 32 fighters.
    • Smashdown! Choose your characters for round 1. For round 2, you cannot choose those characters! Play through the roster with no repeats. Heck, if you wanna play strategically, pick a character you know your friend is good at so that they can't use that one against you later.
    • Training Mode got a redesign. Now there's a grid, so you can judge character sizes and distances. Your opponent in Training Mode is a fighter this time instead of a sandbag, so you can test out grapples too. When you hit someone, you see launch trajectories.
    • Classic Mode! Battle your way against several consecutive fighters on specific stages, just like in the old days. Each fighter has their own set of opponents.
  • New items!
    • Banana Gun. Shoot the innards of the banana like a projectile. The peel turns into a regular Banana Peel.
    • Death's Scythe from Castlevania. Instantly KOs enemies that are badly damaged.
    • Killer Edge. When the blade glows red, it deals more damage.
    • Staff. Deals more damage the farther away the target is.
    • Ramblin' Evil Mushroom from Earthbound. This makes other fighters' controls flip around. That's confusing.
    • Rage Blaster. The more damage the wielder has taken, the stronger the shot.
  • New Pokemon and Assist Trophies
    • Alolan Exeggutor. This super-tall palm tree Pokemon acts as a solid obstacle, so you can't get past it. Characters that can wall-jump and cling to walls can do so to Alolan Exeggutor's neck.
    • Vulpix and Alolan Vulpix. Two separate Pokemon. Vulpix appears to use Ember, shooting a burst of fire forwards like Lucas' PK Fire. Alolan Vulpix does the opposite, shooting ice.
    • Mimikyu. This little whatever-it-is grabs a fighter and takes it under its cloak, dealing damage and KO'ing them.
    • Pyukumuku. This sea cucumber Pokemon only deals damage when attacked.
    • Marshadow. This ghostly Pokemon attacks from the shadows.
    • Ditto. Originally planned for Super Smash Bros. Melee but couldn't be implemented due to technical issues (re: bugs), Ditto transforms into a copy of whoever summons it.
    •  
    • Zero from Mega Man X. He attacks using beam swords and other things.
    • Nikki from the Swap Note messaging app of all things. She draws things on a drawing pad. Those things appear on the stage and can do stuff. She's shown drawing a Bonzai Bill from the Mario games, which proceeds to fly off stage, dealing damage to the fighters in its way. She can probably draw other things.
    • SHOVEL KNIGHT. Deals damage and digs up food.
    • Kapp'n from Animal Crossing. He gets in his bus and drives off, picking up anyone in his way (whether they like it or not) and driving them to the blast line.
    • Chef Kawasaki from Kirby. He basically uses Kirby's Final Smash from Brawl, where fighters and items get sucked into a giant cooking pot for a bit before being spat out.
    • A Klaptrap from Donkey Kong. This jumpy little mini crocodile thingy bites fighters. Not that impressive, but hey, they can't all be...
    • The MOON from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. The Moon drops from the sky to crash into the stage! Seriously! The freakin' MOON!
    • Is that Rathalos? The Rathalos enemy from Monster Hunter appears as an Assist Trophy. It also pulls double-duty and appears as a boss on a stage we don't recognize. Hmm...
  • The menu looks nice, but there's this one option that's deliberately pixellated as they can't talk about it yet. Hmm...
  • Sakurai said every fighter will be revealed before launch. A bit disappointing if you wanted some surprise, but in the age of Internet, it's really not gonna make a difference to me, so eh.
  • And for the closer? King K. Rool Comes Aboard!

So... Hype?

Some of the latest EGS:NP posts mentioned old Greek galleys and compared them to ships o' the line. It brought back happy memories of playing Civilization 2.

In one game I was kinda sorta WAY ahead of an opponent technologically. He tried to invade me using triremes. I didn't happen to have any naval units nearby at the time so I responded with cruise missiles. It struck me that this wasn't really a fair match but at least it was over quick. One moment the unsuspecting trireme would be merrily rowing along, the next, BOOM and it was a rather scattered mess of toothpicks.

But the merciless march of technology did spare a kindly thought for the poor triremes, I later learned. When you invented nuclear power, one effect of this would be to give all your naval units an additional movement point. In one game I had a trireme lying in port that I had completely forgotten about. When I finally noticed it, I discovered that it had one more movement point than it should have had. It took a few moments before I realised that this was due to my Nuclear Power advance.

Of course, that raised the questions of how in the world you could possibly fit a trireme with a nuclear reactor and, having done so, make the reactor somehow power the oars. I'd be really interested in seeing the blueprints for that one.