• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Servant of Tara Gilesbie

Story, Monday March 12, 2018

4 minutes ago, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2471

Looks like Arthur's been busy.

I don't think he would have had the time to do anything yet, he might have been waking up just as Magus, Sirleck and Ashley arrived at the facility.

Considering no vehicles, and Magus sensed a lot of odd magic in the area, maybe the guard was scared off by something? A statue (not Abraham) come to life? I dunno, it's anyone's guess really, but I would have expected more people around if Arthur had ordered a lockdown of the facility by now.

Must be your quiet Wednesday night, and someone forgot to check the light. I want this to be NBD but in Gooniverse, this being amiss has remorse.

Panel 1: Well, she is more than oceans and puppies. "Woke" and broke, if you please. :demonicduck:

There are mundane reasons why a guard may not have a personal vehicle at a post.

The wrong set of lights left on could be a careless mistake.

Don't act so worried, Ashley.

Everything is normal.  Absolutely nothing can or will go wrong here.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think he would have had the time to do anything yet, he might have been waking up just as Magus, Sirleck and Ashley arrived at the facility.

Considering no vehicles, and Magus sensed a lot of odd magic in the area, maybe the guard was scared off by something? A statue (not Abraham) come to life? I dunno, it's anyone's guess really, but I would have expected more people around if Arthur had ordered a lockdown of the facility by now.

Arthur wouldn't have had time to get extra agents to the facility, but he might have had time to make a quick call to the security guard. That might explain the lights being on (and would probably mean there are other things different from usual, perhaps some security spells active that wouldn't normally be), but it doesn't explain why there's no car. Unless the security guard's response to the news that the old artifacts were active was to get the heck out of there...

So... something has already happened?  Perhaps an artifact came to life, in a manner similar to Abraham, made some noise, the guard came to investigate, turning on the lights, and turns out the artifact was just hungry for a late night breakfast taco, so the guard offered to drive him to the all-night taco place.  Makes sense, right?

Or, artifact came to life, guard investigated, turning on lights, and the artifact knocked him out, cast Modern Knowledge and drove away with his car?

Or, artifact came to life, guard investigated, turning on the lights, he noticed something weird happening but since magic knocked out cellphone, he drove off to warn the Feds?

See, the car being gone is weird.  The lights on could be explained by someone investigating, but why is the car gone?  Did the artifact eat it (you know, all-night taco place was closed for repairs)?

So yeah, seems like weirdness is afoot.

1 hour ago, MSFrost said:

They is another one, FUBAR. F'd up beyond all recognition. Which is the USA under rump.

The Moderator: Please. No political comments. They serve no purpose in the discussion thread and all they achieve is baiting flame wars.

~tOH.

10 hours ago, partner555 said:

Ah, the plot thickens. How odd that it's Ashley who noticed and not Magus or Sirleck.

Ashley has been notably observant in the past.

As for the car missing - maybe the guard was dropped off by a friend or relative. Or lives close enough to walk to work.

33 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe the car was actually an Aberration and got destroyed when Pandora cast her last big spell. :danshiftyeyes:

Back when I was ridding a bike to work I was convinced that about 1/3 of all cars were, in fact, demons from hell.

Now that I am walking I'm thinking the number is closer to 1/6th, with the others being just driven by morons.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Exactly. No cars is OPPOSITE of what I would expect. Even if something would ate the guard the car would still be there.

13 hours ago, partner555 said:

Ah, the plot thickens. How odd that it's Ashley who noticed and not Magus or Sirleck.

Sirleck seem to only pay attention to Magus, and Magus was busy wondering why most of those artefacts seem more dangerous than expected.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Arthur wouldn't have had time to get extra agents to the facility, but he might have had time to make a quick call to the security guard. That might explain the lights being on (and would probably mean there are other things different from usual, perhaps some security spells active that wouldn't normally be), but it doesn't explain why there's no car. Unless the security guard's response to the news that the old artifacts were active was to get the heck out of there...

Hmmm ... true. Just because Arthur would tell him he should stay on place until reinforcements arrive doesn't mean the guard didn't evaluated the situation differently.

3 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Or, artifact came to life, guard investigated, turning on lights, and the artifact knocked him out, cast Modern Knowledge and drove away with his car?

Or, artifact came to life, guard investigated, turning on the lights, he noticed something weird happening but since magic knocked out cellphone, he drove off to warn the Feds?

See, the car being gone is weird.  The lights on could be explained by someone investigating, but why is the car gone?  Did the artifact eat it (you know, all-night taco place was closed for repairs)?

Also possible alternatives.

And obviously, there is also variant to the first: artifact came to life, guard investigated, artifact posessed the guard and drove away with his car.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

As for the car missing - maybe the guard was dropped off by a friend or relative. Or lives close enough to walk to work.

That would be logical answer in Europe, but I suspect Americans don't do things like that. At least not when facility which is still top secret is involved.

13 hours ago, partner555 said:

Maybe not. Magus and Sirleck both have wanted to get to this place for a long time, although for different reasons. Ashley had never heard of this place until tonight (remember, Ashley didn't know that Ellen was created by the Dewitchery Diamond until Magus' told her tonight) . What's keeping Ashley here at all (she could just step through that window now; there's no glass in it) is her concern for Elliot and Ellen. 

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe the car was actually an Aberration and got destroyed when Pandora cast her last big spell. :danshiftyeyes:

Hmm. Like Christine? I think evil cars may fit the Aberration parameters: No longer human (cars aren't human except in Pixar movies and Chevron ads). And having driven a monstrous 1971 Plymouth Fury myself (I called it "Godzilla")...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Hmm. Like Christine? I think evil cars may fit the Aberration parameters: No longer human (cars aren't human except in Pixar movies and Chevron ads). And having driven a monstrous 1971 Plymouth Fury myself (I called it "Godzilla")...

Christine was exactly what I had in mind. 

Of course, it might also just have been a Ford Pinto. :danshiftyeyes:

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

The facility is supposed to be in the middle of nowhere; unless he has a cabin in the woods or something it would have been too far to walk. Being dropped off is more likely, but even then it would probably be out of his ride's way, so it sounds a bit inconvenient. At any rate, if the reason for there being no car there is mundane, Dan/Ashley specifically pointing it out would be a red herring, which to me seems unlikely at this point in the story.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Back when I was ridding a bike to work I was convinced that about 1/3 of all cars were, in fact, demons from hell.

Now that I am walking I'm thinking the number is closer to 1/6th, with the others being just driven by morons.

Demon cars? Preposterous. They were probably just Decepticons.

(Come to think of it, maybe an artifact activated and brought the Guard's car to life. Hopefully it doesn't get triggered again, or Elliot and Ashley are going to have a hard time getting home.)

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

That would be logical answer in Europe, but I suspect Americans don't do things like that. At least not when facility which is still top secret is involved.

Maybe the guard who is actually much more formidable than he looks doesn't need a car because could teleport back and forth to work. Nioi did that to save Grace and again when she nose-beeped Ellen in Painted Black.

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also possible alternatives.

And obviously, there is also variant to the first: artifact came to life, guard investigated, artifact posessed the guard and drove away with his car.

Ah yes, also very possible and weird.

33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Where I work in the states, there are plenty of people who car pool in, but my place of work deals with environmental issues, so being green-minded is encouraged.  With regards to this facility, I think having each guard drive in would help lull thieves into thinking everything is business as usual and they can also predict how guards are present by the number of cars present.

12 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Demon cars? Preposterous. They were probably just Decepticons.

(Come to think of it, maybe an artifact activated and brought the Guard's car to life. Hopefully it doesn't get triggered again, or Elliot and Ashley are going to have a hard time getting home.)

Ah, more direct, I like it.  And the knocked out guard is propped up in the driver's seat and buckled in, to give some semblance of normalcy.

Or perhaps the artifact just mind-controlled the guard into leaving, making him believe his shift was over.

I love how the simple fact of a missing car is generating so many theories.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Christine was exactly what I had in mind. 

Od course, it might also just have been a Ford Pinto. :danshiftyeyes:

gremlin.jpg

What better car to end up being a monster than an AMC Gremlin. ;)

Just now, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... true. Just because Arthur would tell him he should stay on place until reinforcements arrive doesn't mean the guard didn't evaluated the situation differently.

I would still think there'd be some sort of lockdown or sign of an attempted lockdown, Friday's comic shows a couple crates looking like they've been pushed over but that could have been due to poor handling by the fedex guys that unloaded the truck. If something more chaotic happened, I'd have expected more damage or something.

Also according to Sirleck, any guards would likely be wizards or magic users capable of dealing with intruders, since part of the trap was to make thieves think the building isn't secure, there's probably something like the wards Adrian had used at the school set up, he called it "standard lockdown procedure" so maybe it's something the paranormal division does as well. Of course the ward's aren't guaranteed to keep someone in or out, but usually those people are also wizards. I would also imagine that the wards in this case would be set up in such a way that doesn't require a wizard to maintain the spells for them so that they don't fall in the even the wizard get's knocked out. Like Adrian was using wards at the school probably without the principal's knowledge, but a facility run by the Paranormal Division would have a beefier system in place.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Nah, it's just they're all jerks!

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

O[f] course, it might also just have been a Ford Pinto. :danshiftyeyes:

Or a Ford Prefect?

Here's a thought, could it be that one of the two Seers who didn't qualify also realized what just happened and decided to go grab some newly-repowered gear before anyone else realized?

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What's keeping Ashley here at all (she could just step through that window now; there's no glass in it) is her concern for Elliot and Ellen. 

It's SECOND FLOOR and Ashley don't have ASMA training. Stepping through second floor window might seem risky to her.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Come to think of it, maybe an artifact activated and brought the Guard's car to life. Hopefully it doesn't get triggered again, or Elliot and Ashley are going to have a hard time getting home.

Why would Cheerleadra have a hard time getting home?

... on the other hand, maybe flying home holding both Ashley and Ellen would be hard for her. Still better than the cat form.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Here's a thought, could it be that one of the two Seers who didn't qualify also realized what just happened and decided to go grab some newly-repowered gear before anyone else realized?

I don't think the knowledge which made them illegible was SO detailed it would tell them old magic artefacts starts working again. That seem to be something magic didn't considered necessary to say until it happened ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Why would Cheerleadra have a hard time getting home?

... on the other hand, maybe flying home holding both Ashley and Ellen would be hard for her. Still better than the cat form.

How did I forget Cheerleadra?! I was just looking at a comic with her earlier! Still, as you say it would be awkward for her to hold both Ellen and Ashley at once - particularly as if what happened to Francine the Janitor, Ellen's going to be out of it for a while after Sirleck abandons her.