• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
heroesofcrash

Comic 3/17/18 - "Good Evil Monologue" is Technically an Oxymoron

ComicNumber701.png

TheHeroesOfCRASH.com

Necros isn't doing Belt Boy any favors, even if it is a villian tradition to offer some courtesies for the hero.

While I don't mind the occasional cliche, gimmick, or typical plot device in media, I find it's a lot more fun to subvert expectations and turn cliches on their ear. Take Titanium Maiden, for example. It's a common cliche for the main heroine in a group to be a love interest who's feminine and wears pink, and Titanium Maiden is no exception there. But she doesn't look like a typical heroine; she looks more like a bodybuilder than a supermodel or the girl-next-door. Furthermore, muscular characters are often stereotyped as being brutish, dumb, or savage, and usually male... and TM is none of these. By combining two popular tropes that don't go together, I created a character that's more interesting than either one by itself. She's not the typical heroine, nor is she the typical strong character, and that makes her fun to work with.

Necros, however, doesn't twist cliches around or enjoy playing with them; he outright rejects them. Necros is no-nonsense; he prefers to be effective and to the point, which is why he finds the "honorable villain" tradition of granting a hero a last request to be ridiculous. He cares more about winning than being honorable or dramatic. He sees no reason to do anything nice for his enemy - heck, as a bad guy, he sees no reason to do anything nice at all. If he has one cliche weakness, it's his tendency to monologue (partly because of his own ego, and partly because he enjoys taunting Belt Boy), but he'd never own up to it. And to be fair, Necros does dial back his monologues compared to other villains. He hasn't even revealed his entire plan or his "endgame" to Belt Boy just yet, whereas most other baddies might go full-"Bond villain" and explain the entirety of their plan and goals, and possibly their motivations. Necros enjoys playing with Belt Boy a bit and keeping him in the dark to a degree, but largely his reasons for not explaining everything are strategic.

If you've been enjoying my comic, please, please PLEASE leave me a like! Leave me a comment! Share it around! You can even enter my annual birthday contest! If you haven't heard about it yet, ALL properly-submitted entries win a prize! Just create a game avatar or some art based on my characters and e-mail it to me, and you'll get some art in return! Check out my website for all the rules and details, including the two GRAND prizes!