• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ChronosCat

NP Monday Mar 19, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=746

This comic raises more questions than it answers. Like, does Catalina have access to the entire deck, or just certain cards (and if so which ones)? And does the crown actually have some sort of magical affect on others (probably making people more likely to obey Catalina without forcing them to), or is Hanma just that confused about crowns and royalty?

I mean, you've got it almost backwards, Hanma. Royalty don't wear crowns because the power crowns give them, Royalty wear crowns because the power of being royal means no one is going to tell them not to wear their fancy jeweled headgear.

...Meanwhile, the question of how long the others are stuck with the lifeguard forms is put off for another day.

19 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Like, does Catalina have access to the entire deck, or just certain cards (and if so which ones)?

The wand would have every single type of transformation available in the game. So she could likely combine forms like like in the game.

21 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

And does the crown actually have some sort of magical affect on others (probably making people more likely to obey Catalina without forcing them to), or is Hanma just that confused about crowns and royalty?

I'll let Dan on Reddit answer this:

50 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That is the impression I had immediately after reading the comic, but then in the Patreon commentary Dan was talking about clothing with Charisma boosts, and I started to wonder if maybe the crown gave the wearer a magical charisma boost without being so powerful as to interfere with free will.

One of these days I have to start following EGS on Reddit.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
4 hours ago, Scotty said:

That is the impression I had immediately after reading the comic, but then in the Patreon commentary Dan was talking about clothing with Charisma boosts, and I started to wonder if maybe the crown gave the wearer a magical charisma boost without being so powerful as to interfere with free will.

One of these days I have to start following EGS on Reddit.

The talk about Charisma boots is in comics commentary as well. But immediately below that, Dan added sidenote about the crown really not doing anything ... like, sometime after posting this reddit answer.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

...Meanwhile, the question of how long the others are stuck with the lifeguard forms is put off for another day.

I think it will safely last long enough for Catalina to transform everyone to something else.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Royalty don't wear crowns because the power crowns give them

... also, there's nothing about being HAPPY doing what royalty says anywhere. People do it. They may not even complain (at least not where the royal guards can hear them). But being happy about it? That would really require hypno crown.

(Hmmm ... this got me thinking: what about power which can't make you do something you wouldn't do otherwise, BUT will cause you to be more happy about it? How evil would that be?)

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(Hmmm ... this got me thinking: what about power which can't make you do something you wouldn't do otherwise, BUT will cause you to be more happy about it? How evil would that be?)

Guess it would depend on if consent is given, could be prescribed like anti-depressants or something. Otherwise, yeah it'd be evil.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Guess it would depend on if consent is given, could be prescribed like anti-depressants or something. Otherwise, yeah it'd be evil.

Prescribed?

I'm still talking about crown ... or little more generally, artifact which has this effect on anyone near it, with possible exception of the wielder.

And yes, obviously without consent it would be evil, question is how evil compared to something which actually makes you do something.

... would it compromise your ability to give consent, for example?

So I wasn't entirely convinced that the wand could cause any transformation from the game, but there's a poll up now on Patreon about the upcoming strip(s), and in the description Dan says outright, "If a form was possible in the game, she can now make it happen using that wand." I guess that answers the last of my questions about this strip (other than "How exactly did Hanma manage to get so confused about human culture?", but that's more of a rhetorical question).

10 minutes ago, partner555 said:

If put on a crown, people would just call me a pretentious jackass...

If you get first five doing that executed, the rest will probably stop.

49 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

other than "How exactly did Hanma manage to get so confused about human culture?", but that's more of a rhetorical question

She's getting her info from anime.