• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday March 21, 2018

Ok while this doesn't prove that Ellen's forgiven Magus for his actions, she at least knows his intentions and is willing to work with it.

Plus she would at least figure he'd be the best person there that can deal with Sirleck.

It's confirmed, Ellen was able to fight back because she's just that awesome. Er, I mean because she was born from magic. (And yes technically it's just speculation in-comic, but the commentary implies she's right about the "born from magic" idea.)

Meanwhile, Sirleck looks even more creepy than usual in the last two panels, but a lot less imposing. Seen from that angle, he looks like the sort of JRPG monster you can beat in two or three turns at most if you're the proper level for the area. ...Which is rather appropriate since I expect Magus is about to trounce him.

2 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Meanwhile, Sirleck looks even more creepy than usual in the last two panels, but a lot less imposing. Seen from that angle, he looks like the sort of JRPG monster you can beat in two or three turns at most if you're the proper level for the area. ...Which is rather appropriate since I expect Magus is about to trounce him.

At least he isn't a giant scoopful of pudding. These get to be depressing to fight after a while.

Of course being awesome works that way. Awesome people can do awesome things because they're awesome, right?

13 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

He looks like some kind of flying scorpion worm made of fingers. Probably freaky enough to be a boss, but one of the ones that die rapidly once you find their weakness.

Does this mean that Ellen really is as awesome as she thinks she is?

Does this mean that mean that after years in limbo and now in a duplicate body that, while similar, is not exactly the same as his own, Magus is already back in Magic Dueling form?

And does panel five mean that Sirleck might be Canadian?

25 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Of course being awesome works that way. Awesome people can do awesome things because they're awesome, right?

Well, given how the magic system works, getting awesome spells can be reflective of a person.

26 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

He looks like some kind of flying scorpion worm made of fingers. Probably freaky enough to be a boss, but one of the ones that die rapidly once you find their weakness.

There was, I think, a Final Fantasy boss that was undead and powerful and took an insane amount of time to kill -- unless you used a raise dead item on it, which killed it on the spot. Kinda anticlimactic.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

There was, I think, a Final Fantasy boss that was undead and powerful and took an insane amount of time to kill -- unless you used a raise dead item on it, which killed it on the spot. Kinda anticlimactic.

You're probably thinking of the FFX boss that had to be fought underwater. Easy to get a gameover without proper equipment, but two Phoenix Downs, and boom, he's dead.

27 minutes ago, partner555 said:

You're probably thinking of the FFX boss that had to be fought underwater. Easy to get a gameover without proper equipment, but two Phoenix Downs, and boom, he's dead.

Yeah, that must have been it. I've seen variations of that but I think that one is the most extreme. There's also elemental bosses who take double damage from their opposition element as a related example.

Given that The Dan has said that only things that appear in the comic are canon, and that authorial intent doesn't really count for his works, I've got to say that Ellen is just that awesome.  In other words, she being "Just that awesome" is the canon reason until proven otherwise.

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Don't you usually have to shoot them in the eye to stun them first?

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

At least he isn't a giant scoopful of pudding. These get to be depressing to fight after a while.

They already did that with the Goo....

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And does panel five mean that Sirleck might be Canadian?

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If he was, he's now America's problem, just like Beiber.

So eventually he'll be Las Vegas's problem?

27 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

They already did that with the Goo....

Yeah, and remember that Ellen wanted to kill herself while fighting it? I said these things are depressing to fight! I warned you! But did anyone listen? Nooooo.

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I don't know, in most of the JRPGs I've played the bosses are usually big and imposing. Admittedly that was sometimes obviously artistic license (I don't think Garland or the Pirates were really twice the size of the heroes in the original Final Fantasy) but my point was as Sirleck is drawn here (particularly in the final panel) he doesn't really look like boss material.

18 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I don't know, in most of the JRPGs I've played the bosses are usually big and imposing. Admittedly that was sometimes obviously artistic license (I don't think Garland or the Pirates were really twice the size of the heroes in the original Final Fantasy) but my point was as Sirleck is drawn here (particularly in the final panel) he doesn't really look like boss material.

Maybe miniboss then? The detail level is very fine and the design rather intimidating.

I wonder why Dan chose to give Sirleck 24 fingers/toes(including on his head). It doesn't really matter, I suppose, I'm simply curious.  Also, I didn't realize at the time that Sirleck was supposed to be visible on the mortal plain when he released his prior host. Coming at the new host from behind made sense not from a need  for stealth, but because his entire body is designed to attach from behind along the length of the host's spine and the head.  This leaves me wondering what powers he has between hosts, as he was evidently keeping his prior host's corpse standing  even after releasing it, or the aide would have seen Sirleck emerge.

Edit: Apparently I miscounted, and he has 20 base fingers/toes with 6 more on the head.

6 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

This leaves me wondering what powers he has between hosts, as he was evidently keeping his prior host's corpse standing  even after releasing it, or the aide would have seen Sirleck emerge.

A question I've asked before. My guess was that Sirleck doesn't have to enter the physical plane between hosts, only before he "attacks" in taking a new host. That would also explain how Sirleck was able to sneak up and possess Ellen in the tight confines of a high school lavatory--remember, there would be mirrors along one wall.

13 minutes ago, Wyrd42 said:

Maybe miniboss then? The detail level is very fine and the design rather intimidating.

The final boss in this RPG is Voltaire.

8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That was me, not Wyrd42.

8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The final boss in this RPG is Voltaire.

Pffft. Colonel Sanders barely registers as a speed bump. No, the final boss is whatever Lord Tedd is getting ready to fight.