• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story Friday March 23 2018

Recommended Posts

Okay, we've learned these new things in today's comic:

  1. Magus paid attention in class at Battle Mage University (BMU).
  2. Magus qualifies as a Hunter in the Moperverse
  3. Ashley can scream at least as loud as Screaming Girl and that girl being chased by the vampire Susan killed at the mall.
  4. Some of the windows on the second floor do have glass in them (or did)
  5. Magus just knocked around a bunch of crates containing magical items that are no longer inactive. But that's probably not going to be a problem or anything, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, since the title of this comic is "The Magus"Magus is probably not actually "Magus" but "Magus (unknown regular name that probably starts with 'E')". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sirleck dodged a bullet, only to get kicked out of a window.

I'm not surprised that Magus was able to dispatch Sirleck so quickly, once it was disconnected from a host and on the physical plane.

I am a little surprised that Ashley went into Fay Wray mode so quickly upon Sirleck's exposure.  She did not seem the type to panic at the Mall a few weeks ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Huh, Sirleck went down quicker than I expected.

Yeah, that about sums up my reaction to this one.  Magus has a body, Ellen is free, Sirleck is dead, Ashley is fine, Ellen will be fine....so will this story continue to wrap up this quickly, or will we be seeing a long section in the Warehouse Full Of Formerly Harmless But Now Potentially Extremely Powerful Things?

 

WFOFHBNPEPT?  Eh, no worse than the original....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am a little surprised that Ashley went into Fay Wray mode so quickly upon Sirleck's exposure.  She did not seem the type to panic at the Mall a few weeks ago.

I shared this reaction, but as I think about it, it seems right. Ashley is still very new to the deeper reality of the magic and monsters that she has discovered through dating Elliot.  This is their second date!  She's a remarkably level headed and intelligent woman who has really shown the ability to think on her feet.  She is also a teenage girl who has been kidnapped by a mage and a vampire, had her fight or flight reaction magically suppressed for hours, and then, very shortly after that dampening is lifted she is, without warning, confronted with the true appearance of the scariest monster Mr. Shive has yet depicted.  A scream really does seem in order here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, partner555 said:

SPACE INSERTED FOR SPOILER BY MODERATOR. READ COMIC FIRST.

... do people really read comics thread before comics? ...

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Okay, we've learned these new things in today's comic:

  1. Magus paid attention in class at Battle Mage University (BMU).
  2. Magus qualifies as a Hunter in the Moperverse
  3. Ashley can scream at least as loud as Screaming Girl and that girl being chased by the vampire Susan killed at the mall.
  4. Some of the windows on the second floor do have glass in them (or did)
  5. Magus just knocked around a bunch of crates containing magical items that are no longer inactive. But that's probably not going to be a problem or anything, is it?

1. That's not new. Unless Terra is really irresponsible.

2. Anyone who passed at least two semesters of that Battle Mage University would, probably.

5. ... this page is totally cliffhanger.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Oh, since the title of this comic is "The Magus"Magus is probably not actually "Magus" but "Magus (unknown regular name that probably starts with 'E')". 

It's not in the comics itself (the title of comics is date), just on twitter, AND he can be named Magus even if he's a Magus (actually, does The Magus make sense if it's degree?).

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sirleck dodged a bullet, only to get kicked out of a window.

I'm not surprised that Magus was able to dispatch Sirleck so quickly, once it was disconnected from a host and on the physical plane.

It was obvious when Sirleck lost the surprise and instead became surprised himself.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am a little surprised that Ashley went into Fay Wray mode so quickly upon Sirleck's exposure.  She did not seem the type to panic at the Mall a few weeks ago.

Agree. Ashley, panic quietly, Magus may need to concentrate on spellcasting.

1 hour ago, Nayl said:

I shared this reaction, but as I think about it, it seems right. Ashley is still very new to the deeper reality of the magic and monsters that she has discovered through dating Elliot.  This is their second date!  She's a remarkably level headed and intelligent woman who has really shown the ability to think on her feet.  She is also a teenage girl who has been kidnapped by a mage and a vampire, had her fight or flight reaction magically suppressed for hours, and then, very shortly after that dampening is lifted she is, without warning, confronted with the true appearance of the scariest monster Mr. Shive has yet depicted.  A scream really does seem in order here.

True. And she DID stopped quite quickly. Ok Ashley, you are excused for now, but try to work on it, you have until fifth date.

... I was going to say something about her stopping dating Elliot, but 1) I wouldn't wish that 2) Elliot wouldn't wish that 3) Susan wouldn't wish that 4) They really matches together 5) I have strong suspicion she ENJOYS those dates. She will probably be annoyed if nothing happens during date.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

so will this story continue to wrap up this quickly, or will we be seeing a long section in the Warehouse Full Of Formerly Harmless But Now Potentially Extremely Powerful Things?

We still don't know why the lights are on and if the guard is still alive. Also, Ashley didn't awakened yet AND she's still looking as herself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom Sewell said:
  • Magus paid attention in class at Battle Mage University (BMU).
  • Magus qualifies as a Hunter in the Moperverse

Well for Magus to be training to be a Battle Mage, it would make sense if he was able to handle various situations, Dragons, Werewolves, Aberrations, other Mages, etc.

 

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley can scream at least as loud as Screaming Girl and that girl being chased by the vampire Susan killed at the mall.

Probably not as loud as Melissa though.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Some of the windows on the second floor do have glass in them (or did)

Yeah, I actually had to double check back in the first Sister arc and the Diamond was on the second floor then as well, that one window was probably left without glass for the same reason that first floor window was left unlocked, to give would be thieves what appears to be an easy way out, but that's more likely where the trap gets sprung.

Just now, hkmaly said:
Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am a little surprised that Ashley went into Fay Wray mode so quickly upon Sirleck's exposure.  She did not seem the type to panic at the Mall a few weeks ago.

Agree. Ashley, panic quietly, Magus may need to concentrate on spellcasting.

Ashley didn't see anything like Sirleck before, an angry gryphon is still a fuzzy animal, but I wouldn't want to touch something like Sirleck with a 10 foot pole*.

 

*I mean no offense to Polish people, but if any of you are over 10' tall, you'll be my go to for dealing with creep-scary stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, when Magus said, it should have been a red flag, I assume he was referring to Sirleck, that since Magus didn't ask about who Sirleck was going to possess after Ellen, this should have been a red flag to Sirleck that Magus was planning on killing him.

That's how I am reading that.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
5 hours ago, partner555 said:

Huh, Sirleck went down quicker than I expected.

We must speak good of the dead.

He's dead. Good.

<golf clap>  Yes, quite nice, good one. (Could let that pass without some acknowledgement :D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tuscahoma said:

So, when Magus said, it should have been a red flag, I assume he was referring to Sirleck, that since Magus didn't ask about who Sirleck was going to possess after Ellen, this should have been a red flag to Sirleck that Magus was planning on killing him.

At the very least, It should have warned Sirleck that Magus had something up his sleeve for when Sirleck made the attempt. Maybe we didn't actually get to see what that was because it turned out that Ellen was able hold on to Sirleck long enough for Magus to recover and so Magus had a much easier target to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sirleck dodged a bullet, only to get kicked out of a window.

I'm not surprised that Magus was able to dispatch Sirleck so quickly, once it was disconnected from a host and on the physical plane.

I am a little surprised that Ashley went into Fay Wray mode so quickly upon Sirleck's exposure.  She did not seem the type to panic at the Mall a few weeks ago.

 

I guess Sirleck powers were more centered on being sneaky. 

As for Ashley, there is some difference between facing fantasy griffons and Cthulhu-esque monstrosities.  I probably would have lost some sanity points upon seeing Sirleck as well (Cthulhu RPG, where the goal is to see who holds on to their sanity the longest ;) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with that, another nightmarish horror is removed from the world. Good riddance.

5 hours ago, partner555 said:

Huh, Sirleck went down quicker than I expected.

Body snatchers are built for stealth, not for power. If they don't have the element of surprise, they're likely to be pretty wimpy. Why spend effort on improving and bolstering a form they don't plan to use very often? It could bite them in the proverbial butt if they're caught between hosts, like Sirleck is here, but in that scenario their plans have already gone massively sideways.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hawk has hatched. Little mice better beware. (Wait, Pandora says he's going to "grow". This being EGS we can't rule it out, but I doubt she meant the "grow" literally. So does that mean he's going to get even more powerful? Was she referring to something else besides returning to the physical plane when she talked about him "hatching"? Or did she over-complicate her analogy for the sake of drama?)

Also, I knew Sirleck wasn't boss material (at least from a combat perspective).

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We must speak good of the dead.

He's dead. Good.

Ding dong the witch vampire is dead!

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am a little surprised that Ashley went into Fay Wray mode so quickly upon Sirleck's exposure.  She did not seem the type to panic at the Mall a few weeks ago.

Sirleck is creepy, and she wasn't expecting him to suddenly appear. I'm sure if the battle had lasted long enough for her to help, she would have.

24 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

So, when Magus said, it should have been a red flag, I assume he was referring to Sirleck, that since Magus didn't ask about who Sirleck was going to possess after Ellen, this should have been a red flag to Sirleck that Magus was planning on killing him.

That's how I am reading that.

Or at least a red flag that Magus knew Sirleck was planning on possessing him, and was prepared.

Incidentally, this more-or-less confirms the theory that when Magus seemingly-accidentally hinted to Sirleck that he'd be a good host, he knew exactly what he was doing. This guy is crafty (which, actually, is a little surprising for an Elliot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Incidentally, this more-or-less confirms the theory that when Magus seemingly-accidentally hinted to Sirleck that he'd be a good host, he knew exactly what he was doing. This guy is crafty (which, actually, is a little surprising for an Elliot).

Elliot's a smart guy. He just doesn't use his head at times and he doesn't know everything.

Also Magus has been specially trained to fight against monstrosities like Sirleck. One of his courses might have been about manipulations like that, though probably more for the point of manipulating the monster into a position where the Battle Mage has the upper hand than convincing them to help get the Battle Mage a new body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of doubt that Sirleck is dead (yet). I think Magus is going to make some mistake and Ashley will be critical to the outcome. We also still have Elliot in the scene, and since Magus has recovered he probably should have recovered as well. But we haven't seen him since the first panel of Monday's comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I kind of doubt that Sirleck is dead (yet). I think Magus is going to make some mistake and Ashley will be critical to the outcome. We also still have Elliot in the scene, and since Magus has recovered he probably should have recovered as well. But we haven't seen him since the first panel of Monday's comic.

I personally suspect Magus himself will be the problem. He promised he would end Pandora. I do not think Tedd will take kindly to that, especially not after this mess. But we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I kind of doubt that Sirleck is dead (yet). I think Magus is going to make some mistake and Ashley will be critical to the outcome. We also still have Elliot in the scene, and since Magus has recovered he probably should have recovered as well. But we haven't seen him since the first panel of Monday's comic.

In the commentary, Dan put Sirleck's demise pretty definitively.

Quote

In case there's any doubt, well... R.I.P. Sirleck, basically.

Though they're not in the clear yet. Magus did just throw around a bunch of crates full of potentially dangerous, reactivated artifacts. I imagine events are going to escalate very rapidly on the next few pages

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I personally suspect Magus himself will be the problem. He promised he would end Pandora. I do not think Tedd will take kindly to that, especially not after this mess. But we'll see.

There is also that to consider. I wonder how tightly he's held onto that grudge and whether or not he'll keep holding on to it after he's learned about what she did at the mall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChronosCat said:

The Hawk has hatched. Little mice better beware. (Wait, Pandora says he's going to "grow". This being EGS we can't rule it out, but I doubt she meant the "grow" literally. So does that mean he's going to get even more powerful? Was she referring to something else besides returning to the physical plane when she talked about him "hatching"? Or did she over-complicate her analogy for the sake of drama?)

I had always thought that Pandora was being over dramatic for the sake of seeing how people would react, she was very vague about what the egg and hawk was, kinda like the fortune teller or prophet, they focus on particular aspects of people and feed just the right information so that the person acts in ways that end up fulfilling those prophecies.

I had also thought that the egg was referring to Magus and the hawk was Sirleck having succeeded in possessing Magus, but since that's off the table now and I doubt Magus is going to go be doing anything threatening now, maybe the hawk is something even more dangerous, like how the magic system has been opened up with all sorts of unknowns. Or maybe Voltaire is the hawk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

In the commentary, Dan put Sirleck's demise pretty definitively.

The Dan has also said, err, in other comments, that unless it's said or seen in a comic, it's not canon.

That being said, I suspect this is a case where the comment is canon as well.

As an additional note, now that Sirleck is dead, was he the last of his kind?

35 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

He promised he would end Pandora.

He might not know that Pandora's reset was modified and go with she was reset by the rest of the fairies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

As an additional note, now that Sirleck is dead, was he the last of his kind?

I doubt it. Though body snatchers are a rare route for vampires to go, there are likely still some kicking around on the spiritual plane

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:
48 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

He promised he would end Pandora.

He might not know that Pandora's reset was modified and go with she was reset by the rest of the fairies.

Though he doesn't know she's been reset at all yet, so by the time he finds that out, he might also find out that she managed to modify her reset to preserve some portion of her self.

(Also the bug about quotes having the wrong name attached got brought up in the forums before and I think I might know what causes it. If the person is pulling the quote from a quote in another person's post without also highlighting the quote header, then it will attribute the quote to the post the quote is being pulled from and not who actually stated the quote)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... do people really read comics thread before comics? ...

Following the forum and linking from OPs is one way of following the comic, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mlooney said:

The Dan has also said, err, in other comments, that unless it's said or seen in a comic, it's not canon.

But we see something happening to Sirleck in comic, and we also know that "Aberrations spontaneously combust when killed" so it's easy to conclude even without Dan stating in commentary, that Sirleck is dead by the fact that he's burning. Magus makes a fist after he throws Sirleck through the crates, that might not have been a spell that set Sirleck on fire, but rather Magus' hold spell essentially snapping Sirleck's "neck", and the the fire was just a guaranteed thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now