• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Is it me, or does Rhoda look hotter than usual?

Not just you.  She looks hotter than normal, which is saying something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Not just you.  She looks hotter than normal, which is saying something.

She's being sassy and playful, which is a hot combo.

 

Catalina looks like she's staring at the wall though, her expression doesn't sit well with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashley,

I know you were thrust from background to secondary to approaching-principal character status pretty quickly.  But that is no excuse.

You should have read the handbook and attended the staff meetings just like everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Ashley,

I know you were thrust from background to secondary to approaching-principal character status pretty quickly.  But that is no excuse.

You should have read the handbook and attended the staff meetings just like everyone else.

I was going to say that Ashley might've not now how background characters are handled in NP as she never was in that position, but you're right, she should've read the handbook.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Not just you.  She looks hotter than normal, which is saying something.

She's being sassy and playful, which is a hot combo.

Agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, this strip highlights something I've been noticing this entire story but never got around to commenting on: Rhoda is acting a lot different from what I'm used to from canon stories. She used to be meek, shy, and reserved, and if not necessarily "submissive" certainly a follower. In this story she's confident both in her sexuality and in general, outgoing, and dominant.

Now, people can change, and it's even pretty obvious why she's changed: her magic (giving her a sense of power) and her relationship with Catalina (giving her a chance to become more confident in her sexuality, and encouraging her to develop her dominant side to help reign in Catalina's impulsiveness, an impulsiveness that even Catalina seems to know gets out of hand at times). However, I don't remember her being this changed the last time we saw her. Furthermore these changes would likely affect how she acted in private with Catalina and others she trusted long before it affected how she acted in public; barring seeing her acting more outgoing in public I had assumed that when not in private with Catalina and/or friends who she knows know about their relationship, she would still be the meek, shy girl we knew (or close to it).

Of course, a complicating factor here is that this is non-canon; she can act however she wants in public without fear of consequences. (I'd also say that non-canon Rhoda might have actually known Ashley and known Susan better than in canon, but the way the opening of the story was written that doesn't seem likely.) Still, that doesn't change my feeling that this is too big of a change too fast, and that the Rhoda seen in this story is practically a different character from the one in previous canon stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

So, this strip highlights something I've been noticing this entire story but never got around to commenting on: Rhoda is acting a lot different from what I'm used to from canon stories. She used to be meek, shy, and reserved, and if not necessarily "submissive" certainly a follower. In this story she's confident both in her sexuality and in general, outgoing, and dominant.

Now, people can change, and it's even pretty obvious why she's changed: her magic (giving her a sense of power) and her relationship with Catalina (giving her a chance to become more confident in her sexuality, and encouraging her to develop her dominant side to help reign in Catalina's impulsiveness, an impulsiveness that even Catalina seems to know gets out of hand at times). However, I don't remember her being this changed the last time we saw her.

Maybe not this changed, but she definitely shown signs of changing in canon already. Remember that the escape from the mall story is several months ago, and while we did technically saw her in so a date in the mall we didn't saw her interacting in anyone so much.

And I'm not sure why, but I suspected this is actually happening in "future".

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Furthermore these changes would likely affect how she acted in private with Catalina and others she trusted long before it affected how she acted in public; barring seeing her acting more outgoing in public I had assumed that when not in private with Catalina and/or friends who she knows know about their relationship, she would still be the meek, shy girl we knew (or close to it).

Of course, a complicating factor here is that this is non-canon; she can act however she wants in public without fear of consequences. (I'd also say that non-canon Rhoda might have actually known Ashley and known Susan better than in canon, but the way the opening of the story was written that doesn't seem likely.)

I would say that while she doesn't actually know Ashley and Susan, due to this being non-cannon she is acting around them as around Catalina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember, Rhoda may have been more shy and meek than she normally would have been, due to hiding from all the attention she got after seeing the creepy-little-girl live on TV.  She may have been more outgoing all along if it weren't for that trauma (mild but still a trauma to her).  Having supportive friends and being in a good, healthy relationship has helped her get over her sort-of-PTSD.  So, Rhoda wasn't going from a naturally very shy and timid person to a Domme, she went from her normal self to an emotionally wounded person and then back to her old self (and likely carried on even beyond her original personality).

And personally, I can definitely see Catalina being the sort who is a dominant personality to the outside world, but loves to be able to relax and let someone else be in charge if it's someone she really, really trusts.  And somehow becoming the dominant one in her private life fits Rhoda, too.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, just noticed in the scene in question the reporter says she's "interviewing students who are still here with the hope of appearing on TV."  And who does she interview?  Rhoda.  Perhaps a confirmation Rhoda was more outgoing originally, or perhaps merely a reporter making an assumption.  Only Dan might know for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Remember, Rhoda may have been more shy and meek than she normally would have been, due to hiding from all the attention she got after seeing the creepy-little-girl live on TV.  She may have been more outgoing all along if it weren't for that trauma (mild but still a trauma to her).  Having supportive friends and being in a good, healthy relationship has helped her get over her sort-of-PTSD.  So, Rhoda wasn't going from a naturally very shy and timid person to a Domme, she went from her normal self to an emotionally wounded person and then back to her old self (and likely carried on even beyond her original personality).

And personally, I can definitely see Catalina being the sort who is a dominant personality to the outside world, but loves to be able to relax and let someone else be in charge if it's someone she really, really trusts.  And somehow becoming the dominant one in her private life fits Rhoda, too.  ;-)

I was thinking along these lines.  Catalina is mercuric and ready-fire-aim reactive but she's actually very meek those times she isn't reacting to her world.  Rhoda seems to be the reverse.  timid in public because people are huge and she's tiny.  But in private when she's comfortable a more aggressive side comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe not this changed, but she definitely shown signs of changing in canon already. Remember that the escape from the mall story is several months ago, and while we did technically saw her in so a date in the mall we didn't saw her interacting in anyone so much.

And I'm not sure why, but I suspected this is actually happening in "future".

I agree we had already seen some signs of her changing. However from what I recall most of those signs come from scenes where she's around Catalina and no one else she knows; I had assumed that she would keep a semblance of her old persona when around Diane and Lucy, or in public without Catalina. Of course she's been with Catalina the entire time in this story, so maybe that's helping boost her confidence. Even taking that into account though she's still changed since the last time we saw her, and even now I haven't gotten used to the change.

As for it being in the "future", it does kind of feel like that, but based on the opening chapters it can't be too far in the future as they're not in college yet (or at least Liz isn't).

50 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Remember, Rhoda may have been more shy and meek than she normally would have been, due to hiding from all the attention she got after seeing the creepy-little-girl live on TV.  She may have been more outgoing all along if it weren't for that trauma (mild but still a trauma to her).

She may have dressed "sexy" but she still acted pretty meek and shy back when she was first introduced and when Grace first met her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And personally, I can definitely see Catalina being the sort who is a dominant personality to the outside world, but loves to be able to relax and let someone else be in charge if it's someone she really, really trusts.  And somehow becoming the dominant one in her private life fits Rhoda, too.  ;-)

Hmmmmmmmm ...

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

She may have dressed "sexy" but she still acted pretty meek and shy back when she was first introduced and when Grace first met her.

On the other hand, she was hugging with Grace despite just meeting her.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I had assumed that she would keep a semblance of her old persona when around Diane and Lucy, or in public without Catalina.

She might actually be more shy around Diane and Lucy, because she's afraid she makes some mistake and lose them.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, just noticed in the scene in question the reporter says she's "interviewing students who are still here with the hope of appearing on TV."  And who does she interview?  Rhoda.  Perhaps a confirmation Rhoda was more outgoing originally, or perhaps merely a reporter making an assumption.  Only Dan might know for sure!

Doesn't seem the reporter was chasing Rhoda or anything ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, just noticed in the scene in question the reporter says she's "interviewing students who are still here with the hope of appearing on TV."  And who does she interview?  Rhoda.  Perhaps a confirmation Rhoda was more outgoing originally, or perhaps merely a reporter making an assumption.  Only Dan might know for sure!

It's possible she might have been walking down the hall on her way out and Carol stopped her. People have already given examples of Rhoda being more timid.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She might actually be more shy around Diane and Lucy, because she's afraid she makes some mistake and lose them.

Lucy doesn't seem to like Rhoda's at all anyway, but Diane treated Rhoda like a puppy, Rhoda might have like the attention she got from Diane (well we know she had a crush on Diane so it is quite possible) but I think it's likely that Rhoda really was shy with no confidence in herself, and has been getting more confident over time, through encouragement from Diane, her tutoring sessions with Grace (they probably chatted about more than just school) and most certainly Catalina. Catalina is very high spirited, confident and motivating, that had to rub off onto Rhoda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

 

I'd always heard that "quote" was apocryphal?

That is what Microsoft's propaganda department really badly wanted you to believe. Unfortunately, the poor man actually said it. I personally do not hold it against him or laugh at him for it; at the time you didn't exactly see people argue against it in hordes.

I have one constant in my life following me around: hindsight is always better. If I look hard enough, I have said far stupider things than Mr. Gates' unfortunate quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

 

I'd always heard that "quote" was apocryphal?

Yes, it is.

57 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

That is what Microsoft's propaganda department really badly wanted you to believe. Unfortunately, the poor man actually said it. I personally do not hold it against him or laugh at him for it; at the time you didn't exactly see people argue against it in hordes.

I have one constant in my life following me around: hindsight is always better. If I look hard enough, I have said far stupider things than Mr. Gates' unfortunate quote.

Ah, cite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I say that because you can't cite it.  Others have tried and failed.

Funnily enough, it was on WikiQuotes that I read an article which seemed to support him saying it, but the article stated the same thing that I also stressed above: that it is hard to predict the future and that in the context of the time he said it, it was just fine. Heinlein once wrote a very cool article in which he attempted to predict future political and technological developments. This was in 1950. In some he proved to be too optimistic, in a couple of others (mobile phones being a key example) his wildest predictions fell short and in just one did he prove absolutely correct: the collapse of Eastern Bloc communism.

The point being that it is one thing to see humour in past remarks and another to blame the person involved for failing to predict the future. Most of us can manage to sound like idiots when speaking about the present just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The point being that it is one thing to see humour in past remarks and another to blame the person involved for failing to predict the future. Most of us can manage to sound like idiots when speaking about the present just fine.

As Critterkeeper would point out, Back to the Future was only off by a year for the Cubs winning the world series.

And though work has started on it, we're still very much a long way from Hoverboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The point being that it is one thing to see humour in past remarks and another to blame the person involved for failing to predict the future.

Since we're discussing an alleged quotation...

Yogi Berra said:

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 3/28/2018 at 0:32 AM, The Old Hack said:

640K ought to be enough for anybody.

          -- Bill Gates (1981)

I'd always heard that "quote" was apocryphal?

It's less important if he said it and more important that MS-DOS was coded in way which made hard to overcome this limit when 80286 appeared (on 1 February 1982) and made that possible (it was HW limit on 8086).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now