• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Wednesday March 28, 2018

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Though I don't think any of us would have guessed that his real name would be Ellen.

That would be because we all have inherent biases. Not even the most open-minded of us would have peg the man to have a female name when guessing. Ellen is probably a masculine name where he came from.

5 minutes ago, partner555 said:

That would be because we all have inherent biases. Not even the most open-minded of us would have peg the man to have a female name when guessing. Ellen is probably a masculine name where he came from.

Maybe, I mean, considering AU's it's possible, the "Real Life" Comic I used to read, have a moment where the main character Greg, went to an alternate reality and met his female alternate who also happened to be named Greg who upon hearing the male's name commented "But that's a girl's name!"

Of course now we're left wondering of Terra is actually named Tedd or if Terra is her actual name, when telling Ashley, Magus/Ellen only referred to Terra as "AU Tedd", though he may have just said it that way so that Ashley didn't have to ask who Terra was.

If the English language of his reality had a slightly different Great Vowel Shift, their version of Allan might end up as Ellen.

On a tangent, I never really heard anything about The Great Vowel Shift until I got to college. I suspect that English Teachers deliberately hide this part of the history of the language to keep elementary students away from ready-made set of misspelling excuses.

Speaking of language, apparently Elliot's command of sign language isn't quite proficient enough to make Ashley understand "Stay Down and Shut Up!"

I should add this too since it was a point I was talking about in the previous comic's thread.

I'm not considering Magus/Ellen's apology in the first panel as part of his atonement, that was merely for going on that bit of a tangent.

Elliot is considering what he might have done if he was in that situation, that's good, he's still mad that he had to be pulled into it as well, that's also good, it was a bad situation.

Forgiveness? Elliot's going to need much more from Magus/Ellen, this is not a "he's family, help him" kind of thing, I don't know what would be required for atonement though.

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm sorry I doubted you Tom... Magus was just a nickname......Though I don't think any of us would have guessed that his real name would be Ellen.

I wasn't all that right; I really thought it would be a title. And I did not guess "Ellen."

This does set up a lot of situations where the two Ellens are in the same room and someone calls out "Ellen?"

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

This does set up a lot of situations where the two Ellens are in the same room and someone calls out "Ellen?"

More awkward that 2 Elliots in the same room and someone calls out "Elliot" that's for sure.

I also just realized, though I'm not entirely sure if Dan was foreshadowing this. But if Dan had planned for Magus' real name to be Ellen right at the start then maybe he hinted at it back in Sister 2 when he commented that Nanase would be a man in his universe.

Gotta say, Elliot's being a lot more understanding than I was expecting Monday.  Or... ever, really.

...also, kinda have to wonder about the way the last panel is set apart - it makes it feel like I'm supposed to feel something, but "AU has slightly different gender naming conventions" isn't exactly Vader-is-Luke's-father.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I also just realized, though I'm not entirely sure if Dan was foreshadowing this. But if Dan had planned for Magus' real name to be Ellen right at the start then maybe he hinted at it back in Sister 2 when he commented that Nanase would be a man in his universe.

Maybe there's better foreshadowing here, and we should call our Ellen "Junior" from now on.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Well, in our own world, the names "Ashley" and "Hillary" used to be male names, but now are female names.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On a tangent, I never really heard anything about The Great Vowel Shift until I got to college. I suspect that English Teachers deliberately hide this part of the history of the language to keep elementary students away from ready-made set of misspelling excuses.

I heard about it from a Doctor Who episode, along with Grimm's Law and its shifts in consonants.

I also learned pi to eight decimal places from the Doctor (and might still be able to do its square root to thirty on a good day).

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wasn't all that right; I really thought it would be a title. And I did not guess "Ellen."

You said it would be something starting with an "E"!

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

My high school was only a couple hundred people, not a monster like Moperville, but we had five Aarons and three Erins.

Could've been worse; a friend named her daughter Aeryn, from Farscape, adding yet another sound-alike to the mix.

23 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Well, in our own world, the names "Ashley" and "Hillary" used to be male names, but now are female names.

As with Morgan, Beverly, Kelly, Carol, Jodi, Jordan, Jocelyn, Tracy, Shirley, Vivian.....

What the hey. So the AU is more than it seems. Prolly except Lord Tedd. :demonicduck:

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

Wait a minute, I just realised! The title being "Elliots and Ellens" now make perfect sense!

Magus is named Ellen, and he's Elliot's alternate!

The song "Peaches" comes to mind. Again.

Elliot isn't happy (which is entirely understandable) though he's keeping his cool (which is probably good). Interesting that Magus is just a nickname, though unless he ends up objecting to that on the next page I'm going to keep calling him that. Helps keep who's who straight in discussions.

2 hours ago, Entropy said:

That name makes me remember about a guy called Susan "Mandark" Astromonof...

...and now I have that laugh stuck in my head again...

Ooooooh....I just realized something else.

When Abraham tried to kill our Ellen, Nanase convinced him to swear not to hurt her. Abraham's exact words were "I solemnly swear to never harm Ellen Dunkel". What do you all think Abraham might think if he walked in thinking Magus was a threat only to find out his name is Ellen Dunkel? ;)

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

When Abraham tried to kill our Ellen, Nanase convinced him to swear not to hurt her. Abraham's exact words were "I solemnly swear to never harm Ellen Dunkel". What do you all think Abraham might think if he walked in thinking Magus was a threat only to find out his name is Ellen Dunkel? ;)

...I'm not sure. On one hand, I hope that he learned his lesson to adhere to the spirit of his vows instead of the letter of them. On the other hand, Abraham has shown himself to not be that good at thinking through his actions.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That is pushing how a vow works.

Just now, mlooney said:

Well obviously Abraham's vow is nothing like an Immortal's vow. I was thinking more along the lines of comedic value though.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Well obviously Abraham's vow is nothing like an Immortal's vow. I was thinking more along the lines of comedic value though.

"Hah, yes, Abraham, my name is Ellen Dunkel as well, and by your vow, you can't harm me! Mwahaha!"

<bonk!>

"Oh no, I violated my vow!  What will I do!"

Yes, I can definitely see the comedic value of that situation.  ;)

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

More awkward that 2 Elliots in the same room and someone calls out "Elliot" that's for sure.

When I first started working for a certain employer, there was a phone for every two people in the group I was in.

The two people in the set of desks next to mine were Paul and Paul.

7 hours ago, Entropy said:

That name makes me remember about a guy called Susan "Mandark" Astromonof...

A boy named Sue

(Spider Robinson parodied that as "A boy named Spider" but that apparently isn't available online.)

5 hours ago, Drasvin said:

...and now I have that laugh stuck in my head again...

Just according to keikaku!

(translator note: keikaku means plan)

40 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Magus hangs around Moperville very long,  I think he should go by "Allen". Or maybe "Elon"; it has a certain musky cachet.

He'll just get ticketed for illegally parking his car in orbit around Mars. Uryuom traffic cops are not people you want to mess with.