• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Wednesday March 28, 2018

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

He'll just get ticketed for illegally parking his car in orbit around Mars. Uryuom traffic cops are not people you want to mess with.

Every one of them has an Eric Cartman form...

(Warning for language and generally being South Park)

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Does Magus/Ellen have a gender fluidity circumstance to deal with? Possibly primarily from female to male, the opposite of Tedd?

He might be gender fluid, or perhaps he's outright transgender. In fact, if he needed magic to change his original body from biologically female to biologically male, that might tie in to his having the right magic to alter Ellen's FV5 beam to give him a male form.

Alternately, maybe magical sex-changes are common in his world, but there are still expectations for how people should act when in a form of a specific sex. This could explain why he would expect Nanase to be male in his world; something about the way Nanase acts was coded male in his world, and Nanase would have been expected to change her body to match the way she wanted to act.

18 hours ago, partner555 said:

Wait a minute, I just realised! The title being "Elliots and Ellens" now make perfect sense!

Magus is named Ellen, and he's Elliot's alternate!

Yes. So there won't be another Ellen just to make the title work.

18 hours ago, WR...S said:

...also, kinda have to wonder about the way the last panel is set apart - it makes it feel like I'm supposed to feel something, but "AU has slightly different gender naming conventions" isn't exactly Vader-is-Luke's-father.

It's only making fun of all the speculations we were making about how another Ellen will appear.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:
9 hours ago, Scotty said:

When Abraham tried to kill our Ellen, Nanase convinced him to swear not to hurt her. Abraham's exact words were "I solemnly swear to never harm Ellen Dunkel". What do you all think Abraham might think if he walked in thinking Magus was a threat only to find out his name is Ellen Dunkel? ;)

...I'm not sure. On one hand, I hope that he learned his lesson to adhere to the spirit of his vows instead of the letter of them. On the other hand, Abraham has shown himself to not be that good at thinking through his actions.

He MIGHT also learned the lesson about not attacking someone just because he's created by diamond.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:
2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Does Magus/Ellen have a gender fluidity circumstance to deal with? Possibly primarily from female to male, the opposite of Tedd?

He might be gender fluid, or perhaps he's outright transgender. In fact, if he needed magic to change his original body from biologically female to biologically male, that might tie in to his having the right magic to alter Ellen's FV5 beam to give him a male form.

I would consider more likely he's gender-meh like main universe Elliot. However, note that he had good opportunity to became female now and decided for male instead.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

something about the way Nanase acts was coded male in his world, and Nanase would have been expected to change her body to match the way she wanted to act.

... sounds like you came up with something even worse than how our world deals with sex changes.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would consider more likely he's gender-meh like main universe Elliot. However, note that he had good opportunity to became female now and decided for male instead.

Especially considering Magus/Ellen not only modified Ellen's beam so that he wouldn't be turned female when zapped into Elliot, but also modified the diamond to keep that form, and not make it a duplicate Elliot body. Why would he go through to trouble of doing that if he wasn't male.

1 hour ago, WR...S said:

Kind of makes me wonder if Magus modifying the beam was a missed opportunity with Tedd now having the ability to make permanent wands.

Magus doesn't know that though. Heck Elliot likely doesn't know that yet.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... sounds like you came up with something even worse than how our world deals with sex changes.

I can't take much credit for the idea; it's based very heavily on an old Ranma 1/2 fanfiction set in a world where Ranma's curse had been spread to most of the human population. "Gender" roles had become somewhat more rigid (and in particular many jobs were now for male-forms-only or female-forms-only) but most people accepted it because the roles were tied to one's current physical form rather than one's mental gender or what it said on one's birth certificate, and they could change their sex whenever they wanted (assuming the right temperature water was available); unfortunately the protagonist was one of a small number of people who couldn't easily change their sex.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I can't take much credit for the idea; it's based very heavily on an old Ranma 1/2 fanfiction set in a world where Ranma's curse had been spread to most of the human population. "Gender" roles had become somewhat more rigid (and in particular many jobs were now for male-forms-only or female-forms-only) but most people accepted it because the roles were tied to one's current physical form rather than one's mental gender or what it said on one's birth certificate, and they could change their sex whenever they wanted (assuming the right temperature water was available); unfortunately the protagonist was one of a small number of people who couldn't easily change their sex.

What an awful idea, to have to choose between suffering dysphoria or being barred from the profession you love....

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

What an awful idea, to have to choose between suffering dysphoria or being barred from the profession you love....

Yeah, it was a thoughtful, well written story (or so I thought at the time; it's been years since I read it) but some of the world building was depressing. One thing that always stuck with me though was the idea that giving people the ability to change their forms easily would not necessarily end prejudice and discrimination, it might just change how they are applied and who suffers the most from them.

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

In the described situation, though, I wonder if dysphoria would be anywhere near as common as it is in our world. I know that for me (genderfluid, mostly neutral) it really isn't a concern - the worst instance of it I've ever had probably lasted less than half an hour, and (very important) I knew it wouldn't last, so yeah, this sucks royally, but I'll get through it and get on with my day.

In a world where the main conceit of Ranma 1/2 is common to nearly all of the population and everybody knows it, I suspect that being the "wrong" physical sex as a job requirement would, in and of itself, be about on the level of wearing an ugly and uncomfortable uniform - safety gear possibly included - as a job requirement.

(I also suspect that a driver's license would have two photos on it.)

This obviously does not necessarily extend to jobs that actually involve the sexual organs in a major way.

If there are a lot of people who feel pretty strongly that they should be in a certain-sex body - something that I suspect is somewhat less prevalent than most people think - then there probably would be fairly common facilities where one could park a bag and strip, get a quick cold shower, dry off, yank some other clothes out of your bag and put them on. Possibly combined with an increased prevalence of truly-unisex clothing - not just very-similar-looking clothes for both sexes, but where you'd strip, change sex, and then re-don the clothes you just took off. Should be pretty easy to do - after all, there's this:

1519696447.bucephalus_wereables-worn_fin

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

In a world where the main conceit of Ranma 1/2 is common to nearly all of the population and everybody knows it, I suspect that being the "wrong" physical sex as a job requirement would, in and of itself, be about on the level of wearing an ugly and uncomfortable uniform - safety gear possibly included - as a job requirement.

Yes, the dysphoria would probably be manageable if you could change to your preferred sex immediately after work, and it DOES make sense to limit some kinds of work to specific sex, but that's not what I though about based on original description.

Also, I think the percentage of jobs with sex requirements wouldn't be THAT big ... or, at least, not the percentage where it actually makes sense. The percentage of jobs on our earth which insist on specific dress code is also bigger than what makes sense, luckily my job is not included.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Possibly combined with an increased prevalence of truly-unisex clothing - not just very-similar-looking clothes for both sexes, but where you'd strip, change sex, and then re-don the clothes you just took off. Should be pretty easy to do - after all, there's this:

1519696447.bucephalus_wereables-worn_fin

Most likely, compromise of having different underwear but keep same top layer of clothes would be more practical, considering you can't really change with clothes on anyway (unlike your lycanthrope example which may not be visible without reload).

Of course, it would mean no form-fitting clothes on women, as they would likely get bigger when they turn into men, so ...

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

(I also suspect that a driver's license would have two photos on it.)

Yes, that was specifically mentioned in the story. :)

Edit: I suppose at this point I should clarify that this wasn't really a Ranma fanfic per sey, rather it was one of several stories set in a multi-author crossover universe, the opening story of which was heavily focused on Ranma 1/2.

Also I don't remember what the particular story I've been talking about had to say about clothing, but another story set in that world did mention the rising popularity of unisex clothing. In fact Ami Mizuno (from Sailor Moon) was credited with inventing a t-shirt that could be adjusted between male and female proportions, and in the female setting doubled as a sports bra.

Edited by ChronosCat
More details about the story, and talk about clothing.