• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Illjwamh

This Day In History

IPA is quite overprecise for general English use.

The Deseret alphabet is more designed for English specifically, but still doesn't quite equate across all accents (for instance, the "long a" (fAther), "short ah" (bOx) and "long ah" (cAUght) are the same sound in some accents and two or three different sounds in others) and has a few additional flaws, as well as a few letter shapes that sorta got displaced in a chain at some point (en→short a→short e→"short o"→er) between earlier and later charts.  It also can't be posted on this forum due to non-BMP characters not being allowed by the software (the same reason why most Unicode emoji can't be posted).  Not that anyone (likely) would be able to read it, since it more or less fell into obscurity.

Although one of the more frustrating things about standard English orthography, though, is that it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to unambiguously specify the pronunciation of (say) a given foreign name using it.  Deseret is at least much less ambiguous.  IPA moreso of course.

The IPA uses 107 letters, plus diacritic marks. Meanwhile, both American Standard English and Received Pronunciation use 56 distinct phonemes. Various dialects use additional sounds, but those are variants/substitutions of the 56 phonemes and do not actually carry a distinction in meaning beyond identifying the dialect to which they belong--only 56 are actually used in identifying words.

Some accents lack distinctions between words which others distinguish (cot-caught is one of the more notorious examples). I believe Recieved Pronunciation has most of the word distinctions though (with some odd exceptions such as wine-whine).

30 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Some accents lack distinctions between words which others distinguish (cot-caught is one of the more notorious examples). I believe Recieved Pronunciation has most of the word distinctions though (with some odd exceptions such as wine-whine).

Also some languages just do shit that is impossible to write down with any regular alphabet. Danish is a prime example.

"Han løber" (he runs)
"Han er en løber" (he is a (professional) runner)

Which of these two versions of 'løber' contains the glottal stop? DUH. The first one, of course. Wasn't that obvious? :doom: (Well, it is to Danes, but we were TAUGHT this crap from birth.)

On 10/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, The Old Hack said:

I must be honest here. I cringed massively when a certain politician proclaimed that he intended to 'buy' Greenland from Denmark, and even more when his supporters attacked Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen for refusing to deal. Not least because we cannot just sell Greenland. The Inuit are Danish citizens and they have their own Home Rule to manage their affairs. It remains their choice whether to finally break free from Denmark and it would also be their decision as to whether they would accept this... purchase. In effect, the proposal equated to Justin Trudeau stating that he intended to buy Minnesota from the federal government, without consulting the Minnesotans. I think they might have had a comment or two to make about that. I also have this feeling that the federal government isn't actually just allowed to sell states to foreign powers without consulting the citizens of said states.

Oh, come on; in an administration that's essentially a Leave it to Potus sitcom, it's one of his funnier moments. Maybe he needs a laugh track.

$#!# my Potus Says,  -  starring Alec Baldwin.

"... so he packed up the truck,

and he moved to ole' DC ..."

The DC Sociopaths

"You never heard of a talking (jack)ass?

Well listen to this ...

I am Donald Drumpf."

Tongue firmly in cheek. There is a grain of truth that he is so absurd that he writes his own spoofs, but ultimately his ineptitude is more horrific than funny. I've seen a quote recently, "I haven't been this scared since the Cuban Missile Crisis."

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, the tragic part of it all is that people are obliged to obey his ridiculous commands.

Debatably, as so much of his electonically transmitted cranial flatus is not within his actual scope of authority, unless the masses let him get away with it.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

So do Democrats - when there's a Democrat President.

Name the last Democratic president who claimed 'absolute immunity' from the investigative powers of either Senate or House of Representatives, please.

In fact, name any president of any historical party who ever did.

I no longer have patience for President Trump nor his apologists. He just issued a pardon for a war criminal who shot and killed an unarmed girl for his own amusement, against the wishes of the Pentagon. The man is bereft of any sort of either morals or ethics. He kowtows to and fawns over dictators. Oh, and hours ago he engaged in blatant witness intimidation during an ongoing investigation where the witness was being questioned. He is unabashedly misogynistic, racist, queerphobic and disablist. He has constantly been engaged in violations of the emoluments clause ever since he ascended to the Presidency.

Any equivalents to presidents past are irrelevant even if they could somehow be found, no matter their party. Did a Democratic president engage in this sort of behavior, they should unquestionably be impeached, too. It is future presidencies that concern me, for if the current President is granted a free pass, Republicans have just opened the door for allowing Democratic presidents to act in the same way. And that is not a jot or tittle more acceptable to me than this is.

There are Republicans who without hesitation condemn the way the creature squatting in the Oval Office is acting. Former Republicans, some may claim. To that I respond that they had sufficient conscience, patriotism and respect for the rule of law to disassociate themselves from the ongoing disaster that is the Trump administration. I salute Justin Amash, Jennifer Rubin, Rick Wilson and all who still remember what the Grand Old Party once stood for. It most assuredly did not stand for the Klan.

On November 16 in History:

42 BCE - Birth of future Roman Emperor Tiberius. He'll be the first of many to inherit the title, and also the first of many to not really do anything with it.

1043 - New King of England Edward the Confessor takes all treasure, land, and freedom of movement from his powerful mother, Emma of Normandy, wife of two previous kings and mother of yet another. "No Norman will hold sway over England whilst I am king!"

1272 - Prince Edward Longshanks becomes King Edward Longshanks of England despite being on crusade and thus not actually in England. He'll get there eventually. He will be called Edward I despite being the fourth King of England named Edward. Medieval politics make very little sense.

1532 - Francisco Pizarro to Incan emperor Atahualpa at the Battle of Cajamarca: "Gotcha!"

1776 - The Dutch Republic recognizes the independence of the United States, a fledgling republic breaking away from a powerful monarchy. Weird. I wonder what their motives are.

1836 - Birth of Kalākaua, future King of Hawai'i. Dang, I'll never get to say that again.

1849 - Fyodor Dostoyevsky is sentenced to death as Punishment for the Crime of advancing ideas related to social reform. He gets better.

1914 - The U.S. Federal Reserve Bank opens. Andrew Jackson rolls over in his grave. Haha, wait'll he finds out they put him on the 20.

1952 - Upon the birth of Miyamoto Shigeru, his grandfather tucks a blanket into his crib and says, "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this."

1990 - Milli Vanilli are stripped of their Grammy Award when it is revealed they did not actually sing on their album. Geez, the hoops they make artists jump through these days.

1 minute ago, Illjwamh said:

1272 - Prince Edward Longshanks becomes King Edward Longshanks of England despite being on crusade and thus not actually in England. He'll get there eventually. He will be called Edward I despite being the fourth King of England named Edward. Medieval politics make very little sense.

Errr, I suppose it could be argued that they made a medieval kind of sense, anyway? :icon_eek:

2 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

1532 - Francisco Pizarro to Incan emperor Atahualpa at the Battle of Cajamarca: "Gotcha!"

Meanwhile, on Bizarro Earth, Fransicso Bizarro surrendered unconditionally to Ancin Umpire Acapulco in front of the gates of Midrad in Spian.

4 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

1776 - The Dutch Republic recognizes the independence of the United States, a fledgling republic breaking away from a powerful monarchy. Weird. I wonder what their motives are.

I am sure it is just a coincidence and not politically motivated.

5 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

1914 - The U.S. Federal Reserve Bank opens. Andrew Jackson rolls over in his grave. Haha, wait'll he finds out they put him on the 20.

He is currently cursing a blue streak because he thought he finally got off it again, but some racist rectal whistle blocked Harriet Tubman from relieving him.

6 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

1990 - Milli Vanilli are stripped of their Grammy Award when it is revealed they did not actually sing on their album. Geez, the hoops they make artists jump through these days.

Simultaneously, MTV has Jean-Michel Jarre appear on its Unplugged program. It is a very quiet forty-five minutes.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Name the last Democratic president who claimed 'absolute immunity' from the investigative powers of either Senate or House of Representatives, please.

The last: apparently, Obama.

Among earlier ones: according to this article Nixon and Clinton are on the list.

21 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

The last: apparently, Obama.

Among earlier ones: according to this article Nixon and Clinton are on the list.

Nonsense.

Clinton and Nixon both handed over their files and had their various staffers attend the House of Representatives when subpoenaed for their respective impeachment inquiries. Admittedly I do not think Clinton actually erased important tapes during his but we shall disregard that for this purpose.

I am sorry but I missed the impeachment inquiry raised against President Obama. Could you please link me to sources of when it happened and in which ways he failed to cooperate with it?

1 hour ago, Illjwamh said:

Also worth noting is that Nixon, the closest to an actual example,  was a Republican.

No. Not worth noting. What is worth noting is that back then a large number of Republicans rallied behind impeachment, too. They realised the dangers of undermining the Constitution very clearly and wanted no part of it.

Also, Clinton is an example. He, too, underwent impeachment proceedings. It is how he responded to it that matters.

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

Nobody’s yet claimed that a Democratic Party candidate ought to be able to shoot a person on Fifth Avenue (or any other public place) with no repercussions.

Drumpf never said he ought to, just that he could get away with it,

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I no longer have patience for President Trump nor his apologists. He just issued a pardon for a war criminal who shot and killed an unarmed girl for his own amusement, against the wishes of the Pentagon. The man is bereft of any sort of either morals or ethics. He kowtows to and fawns over dictators. Oh, and hours ago he engaged in blatant witness intimidation during an ongoing investigation where the witness was being questioned. He is unabashedly misogynistic, racist, queerphobic and disablist. He has constantly been engaged in violations of the emoluments clause ever since he ascended to the Presidency.

Any equivalents to presidents past are irrelevant even if they could somehow be found, no matter their party. Did a Democratic president engage in this sort of behavior, they should unquestionably be impeached, too. It is future presidencies that concern me, for if the current President is granted a free pass, Republicans have just opened the door for allowing Democratic presidents to act in the same way. And that is not a jot or tittle more acceptable to me than this is.

There are Republicans who without hesitation condemn the way the creature squatting in the Oval Office is acting. Former Republicans, some may claim. To that I respond that they had sufficient conscience, patriotism and respect for the rule of law to disassociate themselves from the ongoing disaster that is the Trump administration. I salute Justin Amash, Jennifer Rubin, Rick Wilson and all who still remember what the Grand Old Party once stood for. It most assuredly did not stand for the Klan.

They fondly remember a few outstanding members, but they would not have those same people if they were alive today. Can you see Lincoln winning a modern Republican primary? They are far more aligned with his 1860s opponents.