• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday April 4, 2018

Hm, another form. It is a plus, seeing no costume change.

Get outta town, Fozzie! Waking Ellen up is the least of Elliot's concern!!

5 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

New comic is up but permalink not ready yet. Will edit it in here when it is.

Sorry, Magus. Not buying it. That is just an excuse for not having enough time to consult Ellen. You could work around that.

Didn't expected this.

Elliot was already thinking if he should or shouldn't accept Magus arguments ... but then he realized Magus doesn't want to continue debate, immediately forget that and went to defend Ellen.

In hindsight it DOES make some sense ... and, like, support the idea that Elliot is NOT able to counterargument consistently on this short notice.

Also, not sure why Elliot didn't changed to "standard" cheerleadra ...

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

In hindsight it DOES make some sense ... and, like, support the idea that Elliot is NOT able to counterargument consistently on this short notice.

Magus is out of line, but as I said to someone on discord, he doesn't deserve to get the snot kicked out of him, Elliot's better than that.

Dan's stated that Magus isn't thinking straight due to having been trapped in a bad situation for soo long, and that he urgently needs to get back home. Elliot just needs to convince him of that.

24 minutes ago, Stature said:

Hm, another form. It is a plus, seeing no costume change.

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, not sure why Elliot didn't changed to "standard" cheerleadra ...

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The only thing that comes to my mind is that Elliot wants to drive home the point that This Is Personal!

It's sort of a costume change, it's got the form fitted look of Cheerleadra 2.0 though not as tight looking, also the gloves and boots. But judging by Elliot's statement plus the commentary. Elliot seems intent on showing Magus that being female is a part of him and that she doesn't need to be a man to be strong.

Edit: so, it was just mentioned on Discord that Magus might have been about to wake Ellen up, hence the "wa...." bit just as Elliot went super mode.

So Friday's comic is going to be Elliot going into a speech about how Ellen should be given a choice in the matter and Magus will be all "Well if you hadn't of slammed me out the window, I would have woken her up so we could do that!!"

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But judging by Elliot's statement plus the commentary. Elliot seems intent on showing Magus that being female is a part of him and that she doesn't need to be a man to be strong.

The dialog doesn't really match that, but maybe Elliot will explain better on next page.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

so, it was just mentioned on Discord that Magus might have been about to wake Ellen up, hence the "wa...." bit just as Elliot went super mode.

So Friday's comic is going to be Elliot going into a speech about how Ellen should be given a choice in the matter and Magus will be all "Well if you hadn't of slammed me out the window, I would have woken her up so we could do that!!"

Wouldn't really be good idea either. Even if Ellen CAN be woken, she would probably have serious headache and generally wouldn't be in good enough state to make so important decisions.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The dialog doesn't really match that, but maybe Elliot will explain better on next page.

"The spell, but not Cheerleadra...This is ME..." sound a lot like Elliot's asserting that she's just as much female as she is male, panel 7 in particular has Elliot stating "because this is a part of who I am!" but that whole page really blows Magus' assumption of Elliot out of the water, Elliot may have initially wanted to change back ASAP, but that was based of what he felt he had to do, heck, Magus believes that Ellen was railroaded into staying female, but it's probably more like Elliot had railroaded himself into needing to change back.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wouldn't really be good idea either. Even if Ellen CAN be woken, she would probably have serious headache and generally wouldn't be in good enough state to make so important decisions.

Depends on how good the wake up spell is, could be like getting a healthy dose of coffee.... well maybe not, but it probably would negate any of the effects the possession would have

For anyone who missed it, look at the word that was interrupted by Elliot hitting Magus in panel 4. With that and the commentary, I think Magus was saying "I'm going to try to wake him up." Elliot just jumped to a conclusion a little too soon, partly because Magus did a poor job of leading up to that statement.

This might be for the best, though. The vehemence of Elliot's attitude, plus him her taking a female form so quickly, easily, and above all willingly, could make more of an impression on Magus than any reasoned argument.

5 hours ago, Douglas said:

For anyone who missed it, look at the word that was interrupted by Elliot hitting Magus in panel 4. With that and the commentary, I think Magus was saying "I'm going to try to wake him up." Elliot just jumped to a conclusion a little too soon, partly because Magus did a poor job of leading up to that statement.

Eh, even if Magus just wanted to wake her up, Elliot's reaction is justified.

Magus conspired with a parasitic lifeform to take over Elliot's and Ellen's bodies. He didn't hesitate to squash his former ally like a bug after the inevitable betrayal.

Elliot has absolutely no reason to trust someone who's capable of doing all that and can kill with a hand gesture.

Elliot's mom will approve, especially about the pants. And I really hope we get to see Mrs. Dunkel lecturing Magus later.

Well, now it's in canon that Magus knew about Cheerleadra, although when he got to know might be important later. But Magus hasn't learned that much about Elliot; Magus seems to have thought of Elliot as a weaker, misguided version of himself. Since Magus hasn't been able to observe Elliot directly very much thanks to Helen and Demetrius, I'll give him a partial pass on that lapse.

7 hours ago, Stature said:

It is a plus, seeing no costume change.

A nit to pick: Super Elliot is wearing a costume. He wasn't wearing gauntlets and boots. It's mostly like the Uryuom suit Grace  uses, but the pattern of the upper part sort of matches the jacket Elliot was wearing before transforming.

Also, not a mere "plus". The word you are looking for is "AWESOME!"

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

A nit to pick: Super Elliot is wearing a costume. He wasn't wearing gauntlets and boots. It's mostly like the Uryuom suit Grace  uses, but the pattern of the upper part sort of matches the jacket Elliot was wearing before transforming.

As I said earlier, it's nowhere near as form fitting as Cheerleadra 2.0's outfit. Diane would have approved.

Elliot had to have started his change/blitz before Magus started to say the word "wa-" in order to have interrupted two letters in.  If all Magus wanted to do was wake Ellen up, he definitely should have finished his sentence before raising his hand as if to cast a spell on her.  I don't blame Elliot for acting first and talking more later!

That said, I'm relieved that Magus was apparently planning on waking Ellen before casting a spell on her.  Seems like typical Dan, with people jumping to the worst conclusion and being wrong about it.  Dan is definitely an optimist about people!  :-)

And now events are beginning to accelerate very quickly. With emotions running high as they are right now, I really doubt that a fight can be avoided at this point, unless the government goons show up in a much more timely manner than Magus figured they would.

Even if Magus was going to wake up Ellen and ask for her consent before trying to turn her male, I'm not sure he would have accepted her refusal. His emotions are running high, he doesn't have time for an in-depth discussion, and he's already come up with a reason to dismiss Ellen's protests, as seen on the last page. Magus would want to wake up Ellen and ask her consent in order to soothe his own conscience (he does consider himself to be a good person, just one that was dealt a particularly bad hand), but signs point to him not respecting Ellen's decision, especially as it would likely run counter to his preconceived notions.

5 minutes ago, Nayl said:

And now Ashley and unconscious Ellen are alone inside the big box of hair trigger plot hammers...

I'm wondering if those plot hammers are going to be put into action, or if those boxes are just full of herring.

23 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I'm wondering if those plot hammers are going to be put into action, or if those boxes are just full of herring.

They aren't full of herring. I know. I took the herring, I needed it to chop down the tallest tree in the forest.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Please do not make me think that the ordinary clothes we wear can be considered as costumes.

But still, not a drastic change. Not enough.

Strong word there, pal. I would just go for the occasional "neat." Or so help me, I must be jaded.

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

They aren't full of herring. I know. I took the herring, I needed it to chop down the tallest tree in the forest.

I also took the herring. I think the noise is overwhelming now. :demonicduck:

Looks like Dan edited Monday's comic and now it's date says Wednesday and it appears after "today's" Wednesday comic. (And while I was posting this it got fixed.)

But, after working that out: I'm disappointed Elliot didn't start with the "Why don't YOU ask her?" ploy. And if he says he doesn't have time, he can always point out Magus knows where Ellen lives.

I'm less disappointed though to see Cheerleadra, different outfit making her moniker a bit off not withstanding.

I'm pleased that Ashley is smart enough to stay far enough away that she's completely off panel. :) Though, seeing her on panel is also pleasing.

Magus has a funny definition of step aside. "Step... whoo--thump--osh.. aside." Give the guy a chance to move before whoooshing him. Philistine.

EDIT: I just realized, Magus is about to get beat up by a woman. In fact, he just witnessed Elliot turn into a woman in order to be stronger. I hope Magus takes in that data and has his mind whacked around a bit by it.

9 hours ago, Douglas said:

Do you mean the part where Magus slammed Elliot into a wall was "a poor job of leading up [saying wake Ellen up]? Yeah, I'd call that a poor job of conversing civilly.

EDIT: Oh, wait, is that Elliot slamming Magus? I can't tell but maybe I read this all wrong.

My guess about what Dan really intended Magus' "...Wa...OOF~*!" to convey is that:

1. Magus saw Elliot transform, which interrupted what Magus was about to finish saying (first ellipsis) 
  2. Magus started to say "Wait!" but Elliot was there before Magus could finish.
  3. The last part I'm not sure about. The simple version is that Magus is in pain (OOF) and makes a small curse (). However, "OOF" is ridiculously restrained even for the camp 1960s Adam West Batman, and "~*!" isn't even half of a Beetle Bailey Milspec-grade obscenity. So maybe this is really a compressed and censored version of "Oooooooooooooh FUUUUUUUUU__!"

That Elliot would act like this is completely in-character. Elliot became Tedd's friend and lost Tony's friendship by defending someone he didn't even know ("Leave her alone!"). Elliot took on the Goo with a plastic fork. Elliot shielded Justin and then Melissa from fireballs with his/her own body. Elliot punched Abraham's bloodgrem hard enough to unsummon it to protect Tony. To Ashley at the mall: "Get behind me!"

2 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

EDIT: Oh, wait, is that Elliot slamming Magus? I can't tell but maybe I read this all wrong.

Yes. Magus was talking to Elliot and had his hand raised ready to cast a spell, when Elliot decided he'd heard enough, transformed into Super Elliot (Cheerleadra made to look like FV1 Elliot) between panels, and tackled Magus, which is why Magus cuts off mid-word and winds up lying on the floor.

The last part I'm not sure about. The simple version is that Magus is in pain (OOF) and makes a small curse (). However, "OOF" is ridiculously restrained even for the camp 1960s Adam West Batman, and "~*!" isn't even half of a Beetle Bailey Milspec-grade obscenity. So maybe this is really a compressed and censored version of "Oooooooooooooh FUUUUUUUUU__!"

In many cartoons, comics, etc. "oof" is a sound a person makes when they suffer an impact. I've always interpreted it as a meaningless involuntary exclamation, not a curse. (In a case like this where the character's chest was likely hit, it could simply be the sound of air being forced out of their body.)

17 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Yes. Magus was talking to Elliot and had his hand raised ready to cast a spell, when Elliot decided he'd heard enough, transformed into Super Elliot (Cheerleadra made to look like FV1 Elliot) between panels, and tackled Magus, which is why Magus cuts off mid-word and winds up lying on the floor.

Minor quibble I spent too much time researching: Not a FV1.  I agree entirely with the rest of your post. 

The body in the costume looks like the standard-issue Cheerleadra form to me (FV5) just wearing a much-improved version of Elliot's "So a Date at the Mall" costume.  Also reminder: By default Cheerleadra looks like Ellen.