• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday April 4, 2018

1 minute ago, Vorlonagent said:

Minor quibble I spent too much time researching: Not a FV1.

Hmm, he does look a bit busty for FV1. In my defense, Dan did say in the commentary that Elliot was trying for FV1; I guess I just didn't look closely enough to notice how much Elliot failed at that.

1 minute ago, ChronosCat said:

Hmm, he does look a bit busty for FV1. In my defense, Dan did say in the commentary that Elliot was trying for FV1; I guess I just didn't look closely enough to notice how much Elliot failed at that.

I should read the commentaries more.  I think I always do but.....  :)

2 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Hmm, he does look a bit busty for FV1

Yes, Elliot does, but he also looked a bit busty when he transformed into "Sarah" for Sarah. Much worse results there than when he transformed into "sort of like" Ashley last week at the mall. Kind of think both the male and female sides of Elliot favor busty, although Elliot's Busty/Not Busty ratio for actual girlfriends is only .500 so far.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, Elliot does, but he also looked a bit busty when he transformed into "Sarah" for Sarah. Much worse results there than when he transformed into "sort of like" Ashley last week at the mall. Kind of think both the male and female sides of Elliot favor busty, although Elliot's Busty/Not Busty ratio for actual girlfriends is only .500 so far.

Now that I've actually read the commentary, Dan does say "...As such, there's hints of Elliot's default female form...."  I forget what FV2 and 3 are but one of those might fit the result.   (IIRC, FV4 is essentially FV5 without some bells and whistles)

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Yes. Magus was talking to Elliot and had his hand raised ready to cast a spell, when Elliot decided he'd heard enough, transformed into Super Elliot (Cheerleadra made to look like FV1 Elliot) between panels, and tackled Magus, which is why Magus cuts off mid-word and winds up lying on the floor.

Ground, not floor. Elliot knocked Magus out the window and then flew after him. They're both outside now, probably in the parking lot.

4 minutes ago, Douglas said:

Ground, not floor. Elliot knocked Magus out the window and then flew after him. They're both outside now, probably in the parking lot.

Well spotted. Also a better place for a fight than inside the building with all the boxes full of supposedly inert but now fully functioning and operational magical devices.

37 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Well spotted. Also a better place for a fight than inside the building with all the boxes full of supposedly inert but now fully functioning and operational magical devices.

And a perfect time for Ashley to grab one.

40 minutes ago, Douglas said:

Yet another thing I missed; I guess I read the strip too fast. I thought they were just going between crates in panel four, and didn't see the wall and window were there - or the building in the background in panel seven. Of course it doesn't help that panels five and six have no discernible background; a change in location really should have been accompanied by new scenery (preferably something hard to miss if there wasn't time for an establishing shot).

20 minutes ago, Douglas said:

Magus seems to be on the ground in Panel 4, but there's nothing distinct to show it is really just the parking lot pavement like a stripe or crack.

What made me pick on that nit is Panel 5. Is Magus standing on the ground? Or floating in the air?

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

What made me pick on that nit is Panel 5. Is Magus standing on the ground? Or floating in the air?

Well, Elliot is certainly floating, so maybe they both are. In that case the background in panels five and six should probably have clouds or trees make it clear. (That also would have been a simple and clear way to denote the change in location right away.)

4 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

Looks like Dan edited Monday's comic and now it's date says Wednesday and it appears after "today's" Wednesday comic. (And while I was posting this it got fixed.)

I looked at today's comic last night, and then this morning the most recent comic was last Friday's. The Monday and Wednesday comic were simply not available, even by direct links. Same for EGS:NP.

My guess: whoever manages the server found cause to do a file restore from a weekend backup. So some abnormal re-posting had to happen.

I think what Ashley would be doing is either checking to see if she can help Ellen or looking out the window to see if Elliot is all right. Rummaging through crates is lower on the list of priorities.

The single simplest thing Ashley can get ahold of is core remains of the Dewitchery Diamond.  The crystal part is gone but the core it formed around may not be.  . 

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

The crystal part is gone

Remember all those crystal fragments flying everywhere? Remember how much trouble recovering fragments of another shattered crystal was in Inu Yasha?

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Remember all those crystal fragments flying everywhere? Remember how much trouble recovering fragments of another shattered crystal was in Inu Yasha?

The Diamond had a wooden core....

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Elliot had to have started his change/blitz before Magus started to say the word "wa-" in order to have interrupted two letters in.  If all Magus wanted to do was wake Ellen up, he definitely should have finished his sentence before raising his hand as if to cast a spell on her.  I don't blame Elliot for acting first and talking more later!

Definitely.

8 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Even if Magus was going to wake up Ellen and ask for her consent before trying to turn her male, I'm not sure he would have accepted her refusal. His emotions are running high, he doesn't have time for an in-depth discussion, and he's already come up with a reason to dismiss Ellen's protests, as seen on the last page. Magus would want to wake up Ellen and ask her consent in order to soothe his own conscience (he does consider himself to be a good person, just one that was dealt a particularly bad hand), but signs point to him not respecting Ellen's decision, especially as it would likely run counter to his preconceived notions.

In fact, he MIGHT've tried to wake her just to warn her to prepare and not actually ask.

5 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

EDIT: I just realized, Magus is about to get beat up by a woman. In fact, he just witnessed Elliot turn into a woman in order to be stronger. I hope Magus takes in that data and has his mind whacked around a bit by it.

We can only hope.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

My guess about what Dan really intended Magus' "...Wa...OOF~*!" to convey is that:

1. Magus saw Elliot transform, which interrupted what Magus was about to finish saying (first ellipsis) 
  2. Magus started to say "Wait!" but Elliot was there before Magus could finish.

I would consider this at least as likely as "wake her up".

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

The last part I'm not sure about. The simple version is that Magus is in pain (OOF) and makes a small curse (). However, "OOF" is ridiculously restrained even for the camp 1960s Adam West Batman, and "~*!" isn't even half of a Beetle Bailey Milspec-grade obscenity. So maybe this is really a compressed and censored version of "Oooooooooooooh FUUUUUUUUU__!"

In many cartoons, comics, etc. "oof" is a sound a person makes when they suffer an impact. I've always interpreted it as a meaningless involuntary exclamation, not a curse. (In a case like this where the character's chest was likely hit, it could simply be the sound of air being forced out of their body.)

Or "sound of air being forced out of you while you attempt to say something so your vocal cords are 'on'".

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Now that I've actually read the commentary, Dan does say "...As such, there's hints of Elliot's default female form...."  I forget what FV2 and 3 are but one of those might fit the result.   (IIRC, FV4 is essentially FV5 without some bells and whistles)

I though we were shown the other FV variants but not sure where ...

1 hour ago, Douglas said:
2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Yes. Magus was talking to Elliot and had his hand raised ready to cast a spell, when Elliot decided he'd heard enough, transformed into Super Elliot (Cheerleadra made to look like FV1 Elliot) between panels, and tackled Magus, which is why Magus cuts off mid-word and winds up lying on the floor.

Or more like ABOVE the parking lot.

42 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
50 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, Elliot is certainly floating, so maybe they both are. In that case the background in panels five and six should probably have clouds or trees make it clear. (That also would have been a simple and clear way to denote the change in location right away.)

... if Magus is not flying, he was quick to stand after panel 5.

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
15 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

The crystal part is gone

That's because the shards in Inu Yasha retained a degree of the magic of the crystal they came from and scattered themselves across Japan. That's not necessarily the case with the Dewitchery Diamond. It's possible that shattering the crystal dissipated the magic within it, rendering the shards as inert as any mundane crystal. Then one would just need a broom to sweep up the pieces. Also the pieces of the Diamond certainly didn't scatter to the four-winds, as the debris can still be seen in the corner of panel 1 on this page, right in front of the open crate(a good number of the fragments are probably still in the crate, as Magus didn't take it out when he touched it).

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:
6 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

Looks like Dan edited Monday's comic and now it's date says Wednesday and it appears after "today's" Wednesday comic. (And while I was posting this it got fixed.)

I looked at today's comic last night, and then this morning the most recent comic was last Friday's. The Monday and Wednesday comic were simply not available, even by direct links. Same for EGS:NP.

My guess: whoever manages the server found cause to do a file restore from a weekend backup. So some abnormal re-posting had to happen.

Apparently, whole CMX missed EGS was sort of hacked.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I also initially thought that Magus was on the ground while Elliot was floating above, but when I mentioned it to someone on twitter who thought they were both flying, Dan responded back confirming that both Elliot and Magus are airborn right now, and that Magus should have had a shadow below him if he was on the ground.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't see anywhere on that page mentioning the hack, but I was on discord when it was discovered, there was mention of updating the wiki though.

Nooooooooooo. EGS becoming like Inu-Yasha. DO NOT WANT.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Dan responded back confirming that both Elliot and Magus are airborn right now, and that Magus should have had a shadow below him if he was on the ground.

So it's not "Dan forgot to draw shadow". Ok.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't see anywhere on that page mentioning the hack, but I was on discord when it was discovered, there was mention of updating the wiki though.

You mean "a security hole that allowed remote editing of the site without any credentials" doesn't sound sort of like a hack to you? You knowledge about computer security is either really bad or really good :)