• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Friday April 6, 2018

FFS, Magus pushes crates and aberrations around with telekinesis and his argument is strength?

You don't even need magic to make people stronger. Are there no levers in Magus' universe?

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Do the dragons in Magus universe blast humans with fire, or just debate them to death?

Maybe they hold arm wrestling tournaments?

48 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

In the last panel, Magus has the arms folded, eyes shut pose you've all seen your mom use when she ends an argument with "Because!"

I do. I also remember that I eventually told her to take that argument and stuff it.

Magus has been putting a lot of effort into justifying his decision to turn male, even refusing to consider that his society's reasoning might be flawed. He mentioned having the debate about gender many times before, to the point he refused to have it when talking to Elliot and Ashley. That leads me to suspect there might be more to his choice than wanting to be a better battlemage.

2 hours ago, detrius said:

FFS, Magus pushes crates and aberrations around with telekinesis and his argument is strength?

You don't even need magic to make people stronger. Are there no levers in Magus' universe?

It's possible that most combat spells in Magus's universe scale off of physical strength, similar to how Nanase's fairy punch spell is as strong as her punches.

So, definitely more evidence for the idea Magus was going to wake Ellen up - but it also seems like he doesn't even realize Elliot misunderstood what he was about to do. And I'm still not so sure he was really going to give Ellen a choice. Even if he was going to give her a choice, unless he has the ability to give people a spell similar to Tedds (which would be quite the coincidence) this isn't the sort of decision that should be made in a few minutes (which seems to be all the time Magus thinks he has); a permanent change in sex is a life-changing thing.

Meanwhile, at the moment I'm leaning more towards Magus experiencing dysphoria in Male form than towards him having been a transgender man prior to his physical transformation; at the very least his last line suggests he went along with the sex change because it was what society expected rather than for personal reasons.

1 hour ago, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:

I'm calling it now: Dan is using this comic to subtly confirm that Magus was about to wake Ellen up.

The mention of it being better to wait out the aftereffects does go along with hkmaly's suggestion that waking her up now would leave her in a groggy state for a bit.

Magus is making it seem like his world isn't necessarily sexist, I mean from out perspective it does, but it does seem pretty clear that people in his world have done extensive testing on the subject and all tests point to each gender being more effective at different tasks.

Of course though that would make the WoM over the sexist, but we don't even know if the WoM was ever a thing or even still a thing, we don't even know if the WoM in the main universe is relevant anymore since the system has been opened wide, maybe when magic had changed previously, the WoM tweaked it to favor males and females on separate occasions and when Magus' world had magic become public, the men happened to be favoured at the time. Considering how strong Nanase is and how Noriko's been touted as a "Legendary Powerhouse" maybe the more recent system in the main world favoured females?

Can we still fault a people as being sexist if they're only working with what's been given to them?

Just now, Drasvin said:

Magus has been putting a lot of effort into justifying his decision to turn male, even refusing to consider that his society's reasoning might be flawed. He mentioned having the debate about gender many times before, to the point he refused to have it when talking to Elliot and Ashley. That leads me to suspect there might be more to his choice than wanting to be a better battlemage.

It's quite possible that the option of just bulking up a female form was there, but Magus might been in a rush to get into battlemage class that he didn't think of asking, hence the elipsis which means Magus realized that it could have been a thing he could do. His refusal to acknowledge it though would suggest that Magus prefers the male form, which would sort of make him the opposite of Elliot who likes the female form a lot, maybe if Magus thought about it he'd realize that he doesn't always have to be one gender either.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

"Look, if you prefer being a guy, you don't have to justify it!  Just be a guy!"

Hmm, would that be Elliot, or would that be Ashley standing at the glassless window?

For a moment, I was about to ask where you see Ashley in the glassless window, then I realized you were just wondering who would say that line.

Carry on. ;)

New theory: the reason Magus is so insistent on his view of gender roles has nothing to do with his experiencing or having experienced dysphoria; instead its' due to arguments he's had with Terra over Terra's choice to use a female form. The arguments became emotional, feelings were hurt, and Magus was too stubborn to admit he might be wrong.

If this theory is right, this conversation with Elliot cold be really good for him, and for his relationship with Terra whenever he gets back to his world.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Magus is making it seem like his world isn't necessarily sexist, I mean from out perspective it does, but it does seem pretty clear that people in his world have done extensive testing on the subject and all tests point to each gender being more effective at different tasks.

Is it clear? Because I've been assuming and still think it most likely that his world didn't always have easily accessible sex-change magic, and when it became available they kept the pre-existing stereotypes but decided they applied to physical form as much or more than they did to mental gender or individual people.

2 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Is it clear? Because I've been assuming and still think it most likely that his world didn't always have easily accessible sex-change magic, and when it became available they kept the pre-existing stereotypes but decided they applied to physical form as much or more than they did to mental gender or individual people.

It seems reasonable to believe that because magic is so public in his world, that the cycle of system changes was broken much sooner, or didn't exist at all, which would mean that the ability to switch sexes has likely been known for a while. There could still have been a sexist lean before gender changing magic was ever considered, but for all we know they might have been more matriarchal before, heck they might still be matriarchal and the idea of becoming male is considered a necessary step down for them.

Speculating on Alternate Realities can result is endless possibilities. ;)

31 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, would that be Elliot, or would that be Ashley standing at the glassless window?

No one is standing in any window you can see in this comic. What are you getting at?

Just now, ChronosCat said:

New theory: the reason Magus is so insistent on his view of gender roles has nothing to do with his experiencing or having experienced dysphoria; instead its' due to arguments he's had with Terra over Terra's choice to use a female form. The arguments became emotional, feelings were hurt, and Magus was too stubborn to admit he might be wrong.

But if that's the case, why did he accept this view of gender roles to the point of changing sex in the first place?

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

No one is standing in any window you can see in this comic. What are you getting at?

And now I feel much better that I wasn't the only one. LOL

1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

But if that's the case, why did he accept this view of gender roles to the point of changing sex in the first place?

Because it was how he was raised, and he never questioned it. In this scenario, he might have been be "gender meh" like our Elliot too, so changing sex didn't seem like a big deal to him; it was only after becoming physically male that he embraced it as part of his identity. He might not have understood why Terra had strong feelings about being female, or maybe there was some other reason for the arguments between them.

...Although looking back over the previous few strips, it sure seems like Magus strongly identifies as male and thinks Ellen does too, which would make my latest theory less likely... But if he wants to be male so badly, why does he also focus so much on "this is the way we do things"? I feel like we're trying to put together a puzzle from a pile of pieces that has more than one puzzle's worth of pieces in it...

59 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

If you're suggesting that Magus in trying to "fix" our Ellen and "fixes" Ashley instead, that's a thought I was going to post on when I went back to this forum and spotted your post.  I was  thinking about Ashley becoming, well, male Ashley, but Ashley becoming what would look like another Elliot would be even more awkward and would also fit the "Ellens and Elliots" chapter title even better.

Not that I think Ashley wouldn't be interested in being transformed and gender-switched, because she's... well, she's Ashley. Or he's Ashley.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Removed Mysterious Whitespace

3 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I feel like we're trying to put together a puzzle from a pile of pieces that has more than one puzzle's worth of pieces in it...

I feel like its more like Jenga and Magus' pile of pieces is about to topple over.

Just now, Scotty said:

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

::Snip::

Umm did your enter key get jammed there?

Iiiiittttt's a possibility. The Pineapple Express has arrived, it's cold and rainy, and I'm wearing two jackets. Significant sleeve volume. I use a keyboard with a full numeric pad and I sometimes catch the second Enter key with my sleeve when I'm using the mouse.