• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Monday April 9, 2018

7 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

From the beginning, Pandora warned that Magus was going to be a hawk and our world's mages would be mice.  And Magus seems about the same age as Elliot, so a high school student, potentially a very talented student, is more than a match for our world's magic users.  So his world's magic outclasses ours and is usable in our world.

Once the issue with Ellen is resolved, he plans to go back to his home universe, which would suggest he, or someone else, could return.

Now, once Elliot's world has a few centuries of magic being out in the open, we might see less difference in power, but this situation does open up a potential can of worms if someone in Magus's world learns of Elliot's world and is unscrupulous.  Magical invasion?

I had hoped that something would prove a limiter to Magus' ability in a different universe, or that travel between universe's would be difficult and fraught with peril or "Only able to be done this one time for plot reasons!"

Cause frankly, once Arthur or Edward learn the details, figuring out a defense from the mages of Magus' universe would be fairly high priority (okay, not as high as dealing with magic coming out of the closet).

EGS universe might have relatively weak magic users, but I would expect it's nowhere near the weakest universe, and it doesn't really have so much interesting stuff to steal. Anyone with reliable technology/magic for traveling between universes would likely choose more attractive target. Unless he has some specific motive targeting EGS universe ... like Lord Tedd.

Magus, however, DOESN'T have any reliable traveling technology. He has little idea how he got here and we still don't know how - or IF - he plans to return. But even that return may not allow anyone else to come here.

Of course, it's also possible anyone coming from Magus's universe will end up on spiritual plane like Magus ... that would be quite potent defense :)

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Magus, however, DOESN'T have any reliable traveling technology. He has little idea how he got here and we still don't know how - or IF - he plans to return. But even that return may not allow anyone else to come here.

He might know how to get back home, but was just unable to because he was missing an important detail, a physical body. It's not like he'd be able to just ask someone to open a portal for him, right?

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He might know how to get back home, but was just unable to because he was missing an important detail, a physical body. It's not like he'd be able to just ask someone to open a portal for him, right?

Usually it's hard to get back if you don't know where you are. Unless the universes are conventionally labelled (possibly with sequence of glyphs) ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Usually it's hard to get back if you don't know where you are. Unless the universes are conventionally labelled (possibly with sequence of glyphs) ...

That would imply that someone in the main universe has been keeping record of all the alternate realities or at least has some way of mapping them.

If there is a spell that can open a portal to Magus' universe, simplest way would be to have Magus attune himself to it, like the spell opens a portal based on Magus' energy or something (as long as the diamond didn't fork anything up). But again, Magus would need to know who was capable, or at least found where a wand that could do that was.

Seems like if he was relying on someone else to send him home, or being able to acquire the means to do it himself, then there'd still be a chance of failure and him being stuck in the main universe. If there's a specific location he needs to be at in order to open a portal (similar to how Andrea and Tara traveled between the halves) then that'd be another reason why he hasn't just pulled a Nioi, the other reason being that he wants to fix Ellen first.

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

leave it to the Ancients to stick with rotary dialing when even the phone company has upgraded to touch-tone...

5 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

leave it to the Ancients to stick with rotary dialing when even the phone company has upgraded to touch-tone...

Technically aren't the Stargates both? I mean you have the dialing device that inputs like touch-tone, and the portal ring itself can apparently be manually turned like a rotary dial in the event the DHD is lost.

Though that was for the SG-1 Milky Way Stargates, the Pegasus gates in SG-Atlantis didn't have a rotating ring, it was essentially digitally dialed, which makes sense in that it makes it clear that the Milky Way gates are much older technology, possible one that was in transistion since the gates from SG-Universe are said to be an even older variant.

Ah, yes, Magus needs to find a way home. Well, in canon, there's only one character who's actually traveled between universes: Nioi. Lady Andrea and Dame Tara know about other universes, but they've only proven they can travel to the "other side" of Earth. Beta Tedd managed to contact Grace from another universe, but that doesn't prove he could travel there. Lord Tedd was able to send a goo cell to the Moperverse, but that doesn't mean he could have sent himself or anyone else. Does Lord Tedd even know that Nioi went to the Moperverse?

Anyway, while Nioi thinks Lord Tedd is kind of nice deep down (maybe really deep down, since that was Goo Cell #12, which kind of implies he's killed eleven other Tedds), it might not be the wisest decision to seek either Nioi's or Lord Tedd's help. Although considering that Magus got Sirleck to help...

Maybe looking for ruby or silver slippers, or an old wardrobe, or a magic mirror, or a blue police box, or a D-stick, or Aahz...

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Technically aren't the Stargates both? I mean you have the dialing device that inputs like touch-tone, and the portal ring itself can apparently be manually turned like a rotary dial in the event the DHD is lost.

Though that was for the SG-1 Milky Way Stargates, the Pegasus gates in SG-Atlantis didn't have a rotating ring, it was essentially digitally dialed, which makes sense in that it makes it clear that the Milky Way gates are much older technology, possible one that was in transistion since the gates from SG-Universe are said to be an even older variant.

Oh yes.  ruin my fun with details....

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

That would imply that someone in the main universe has been keeping record of all the alternate realities or at least has some way of mapping them.

Or someone in Magus's universe.

24 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ah, yes, Magus needs to find a way home. Well, in canon, there's only one character who's actually traveled between universes: Nioi. Lady Andrea and Dame Tara know about other universes, but they've only proven they can travel to the "other side" of Earth. Beta Tedd managed to contact Grace from another universe, but that doesn't prove he could travel there. Lord Tedd was able to send a goo cell to the Moperverse, but that doesn't mean he could have sent himself or anyone else. Does Lord Tedd even know that Nioi went to the Moperverse?

Lord Tedd may not know that she went to the Moperverse, but I'm sure he knows the way she got there. Nioi is his pet, not researcher. She borrowed that ball.

25 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

maybe really deep down, since that was Goo Cell #12, which kind of implies he's killed eleven other Tedds

It doesn't imply she killed 11 other Tedds. It implies he TRIED to. Others might survived just like our Tedd did. (In fact, wasn't Beta Tedd one of them?)

Also, I still consider the possibility the Goo was supposed to be more like test than way to kill Tedd. Sure, he might be dead if he FAILED the test, but in such case he would be too weak to matter.

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe looking for ruby or silver slippers, or an old wardrobe, or a magic mirror, or a blue police box, or a D-stick

And there is whole warehouse of artifacts just next to him! ... but wait. Those artifacts were supposed to be inert. There is no manual to any of them. They could easily be deadly traps ...

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And there is whole warehouse of artifacts just next to him! ... but wait. Those artifacts were supposed to be inert. There is no manual to any of them. They could easily be deadly traps ...

Or maybe I'm suggesting that all-knowing Magus doesn't have any idea of how to get home.

It is possible that if Magus had sufficient knowledge of how to travel between dimensions and/or alternate universes he might have been able to free himself from the spirit plane long before he became Pandora's plaything.

So how will having a physical form in the main EGS world help him return to his native plane?

10 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So how will having a physical form in the main EGS world help him return to his native plane?

Well it's obvious: now when he has body, he can open the phonebook and find an address of local center for helping people lost in other dimensions ... "wait, what do you mean there is no such center on your earth?"

57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

local center for helping people lost in other dimensions ... "wait, what do you mean there is no such center on your earth?"

This concept is often a side story to tales set in worlds where alien contact is real but not officially acknowledged.

One of my favourite examples?  Silver age Superman stories featured a travel agency for aliens visiting Earth on the (supposedly nonexistent) thirteenth floor of the Daily Planet building.

How would you advertise the existence of a service to people who need it, but keep it a secret from everyone else?

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How would you advertise the existence of a service to people who need it, but keep it a secret from everyone else?

There are actually plenty of ways of literally listing that center in phone book in way which makes it look like some convention center for sci-fi and/or movie studio and would still make the real aliens try it - either if desperate enough or because they recognize something people don't. Bonus points, real aliens can walk around freely, provided they pretend they are in costume.

It's harder for people from alternative universes because they don't have anything in common.

The funny part is that there MAY be something like that on EGS earth ... and it's operated by DGB, so Magus's best choice would be to go with Elliot and ask Edward. Or, well, let himself be captured.

(Magus's second best choice is to wait for griffins and ask THEM if they have something.)

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Anyway, while Nioi thinks Lord Tedd is kind of nice deep down (maybe really deep down, since that was Goo Cell #12, which kind of implies he's killed eleven other Tedds), it might not be the wisest decision to seek either Nioi's or Lord Tedd's help. Although considering that Magus got Sirleck to help...

Dan has said before that Lord Tedd didn't actually kill any other Tedds. I don't remember if he said that Lord Tedd failed at killing them, or if Dan implied or stated that Lord Tedd wasn't trying to kill anyone after all, but we do know that much of what we think we know about Lord Tedd is "based on incomplete and false information".

My personal theory is that Lord Tedd was trying to make his other selves stronger. Thus weak Tedds would be "killed" in the sense that the would cease to be weak Tedds and start being strong Tedds.

8 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

My personal theory is that Lord Tedd was trying to make his other selves stronger. Thus weak Tedds would be "killed" in the sense that the would cease to be weak Tedds and start being strong Tedds.

Mine as well. The goo failed initially because Elliot destroyed it, not Tedd. It seems plausible.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Dan has said before that Lord Tedd didn't actually kill any other Tedds. I don't remember if he said that Lord Tedd failed at killing them, or if Dan implied or stated that Lord Tedd wasn't trying to kill anyone after all, but we do know that much of what we think we know about Lord Tedd is "based on incomplete and false information".

So ... Lord Tedd wasn't as clear as Beta Tedd said?

I still think it was a test and if he didn't kill anyone it just means all Tedds passed.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I still think it was a test and if he didn't kill anyone it just means all Tedds passed.

...but why make himself out as an enemy to all the other Tedds in all the other universes that he could find?

it's not like a bit of assassination is just fun and games between Tedds...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

...but why make himself out as an enemy to all the other Tedds in all the other universes that he could find?

It's possible Beta Tedd misunderstood the situation. Alternately, perhaps he was deliberately spreading false information about Lord Tedd. I've even heard the idea before that Beta Tedd is the true villain, but I doubt it's that simple.

Just now, ChronosCat said:

It's possible Beta Tedd misunderstood the situation. Alternately, perhaps he was deliberately spreading false information about Lord Tedd. I've even heard the idea before that Beta Tedd is the true villain, but I doubt it's that simple.

Beta Tedd = Scrappy Doo then?  :)

Towards the end of the first Sister arc, after the goo was destroyed, we see a a very disappointed looking Lord Tedd. When the gang gets back to the Verres house, Grace shows them the screenshot of a very angry looking Lord Tedd that Beta Tedd presumably sent. The question is though, where did Beta Tedd get the screenshot? From the looks of it, it seems like it could be from a communication sent out by Lord Tedd, does Beta have the original video of said communication, or did someone else send him that screenshot?

Maybe Nioi was doing more than just scouting for ways to defeat General Shade Tail and break whatever hold he has on Lord Tedd. She might have also sent out a warning to Beta but didn't have enough time to give a full explaination of the situation, just "Lord Tedd is going to try to kill all other Tedds, be careful!" I know it puts the target squarely on Lord Tedd when General Shade Tail's the one pulling the strings, but warning about General Shade Tail might be useless if the attacks come from Lord Tedd.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Maybe Nioi was doing more than just scouting for ways to defeat General Shade Tail and break whatever hold he has on Lord Tedd. She might have also sent out a warning to Beta but didn't have enough time to give a full explaination of the situation, just "Lord Tedd is going to try to kill all other Tedds, be careful!" I know it puts the target squarely on Lord Tedd when General Shade Tail's the one pulling the strings, but warning about General Shade Tail might be useless if the attacks come from Lord Tedd.

Or maybe GST isn't satisfied playing second fiddle to Lord Tedd and sent out the picture and some misinformation as part of a plot to undermine Lord Tedd so he can take over?

1 minute ago, ChronosCat said:

Or maybe GST isn't satisfied playing second fiddle to Lord Tedd and sent out the picture and some misinformation as part of a plot to undermine Lord Tedd so he can take over?

Considering Nioi believes General Shade Tail is corrupting Lord Tedd, it's quite possible that, in the spirit of the current story arc's title, Lord Tedd is just a catspaw.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:
10 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Considering Nioi believes General Shade Tail is corrupting Lord Tedd, it's quite possible that, in the spirit of the current story arc's title, Lord Tedd is just a catspaw.

... I think if GST wouldn't be satisfied with his position he would just kill Lort Tedd. He is satisfied with his POSITION. There are other things he's not satisfied with and the things he does to push Tedd in direction he would prefer is what Nioi calls "corrupting".