• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Wednesday April 11, 2018

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

My anger at Alt-Ellen is dropping by the minute.

So is mine. Though I have to admit, that first panel sounded a lot like the snide comments I sometimes hear aimed at sex ed classes that don't do a good job. "Dude, the magic health classes at your school sucked."

Just now, The Old Hack said:

So is mine. Though I have to admit, that first panel sounded a lot like the snide comments I sometimes hear aimed at sex ed classes that don't do a good job. "Dude, the magic health classes at your school sucked."

To be fair, Magus probably isn't aware of the whole "magic can change if too many people know about it" deal in this world, so the idea of people trying to keep magic secret is probably confusing him, there's a lot of things he took for granted in his world that either don't exist, or exists but not the same way, in the main universe.

Of course neither he, nor Elliot are aware that magic health class is probably going to become a thing in the near future.

Yesterday, I watched two birds fighting in flight.

The smaller bird drove away the larger after about a minute of circling and diving.

I suspect that either one of these birds would have been more than enough of a challenge to get Elliot's feathers ruffled.

56 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Magus, stop being reasonable! Don't you know you're supposed to be one of the bad guys? :P

Stoned Abraham would say otherwise.

Dynamic characterization. I like it.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Magus, stop being reasonable! Don't you know you're supposed to be one of the bad guys? :P

Given how boy scout this Elliot is I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise that alternative Ellen/Magus is so reasonable.

Now that message to Elliot about from the anonymous person (probably really Sam) about wanting to change genders seems more relevant. However, this really isn't the best time for a long discussion about implications. 

12 hours ago, Stature said:

I would philosophize about Elliott's lack of airborne fighting (WORK ON IT), but I shall not.

Maybe I shouldn't talk about it either but seriously Elliot you are in dire need of airborne fighting training! Nanase has lot of experience, let her teach you.

(Also, yes ; Elliot acknowledged the attempt to prove to Magus women can be strong.)

6 hours ago, animalia said:
7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Given how boy scout this Elliot is I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise that alternative Ellen/Magus is so reasonable.

Yes. And that "reasons" for not using physical forms stronger and still female looks similar to Elliot's "not enough introspective" ... they are really similar.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Now that message to Elliot about from the anonymous person (probably really Sam) about wanting to change genders seems more relevant. However, this really isn't the best time for a long discussion about implications. 

Most of Ellen's counterpoints were related to it being temporary and the issues with magic secrecy.

Still, yes, even if Ellen wanted to be male there would still be practical problems. There are just two schools in Moperville, unless she wants to move DGB really can't provide her with new identity this time. So, she would need to temporary switch back to female at least until end of school. Unless she would basically switch with Elliot.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe I shouldn't talk about it either but seriously Elliot you are in dire need of airborne fighting training! Nanase has lot of experience, let her teach you.

And even if she doesn't (her guardian form knowledge may disappear when the form does), Elliot and Nanase and Greg could work out the basics through trial and error together.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Still, yes, even if Ellen wanted to be male there would still be practical problems. There are just two schools in Moperville, unless she wants to move DGB really can't provide her with new identity this time. So, she would need to temporary switch back to female at least until end of school. Unless she would basically switch with Elliot.

If it really did turn out Ellen wanted to be male again, I suspect Elliot would feel so guilty he would happily make that sacrifice.  Plus, he really does like being female some of the time, and might welcome another excuse.  He could always take time-to-be-a-dude breaks.

Hmm, if Elliot likes being male sometimes and female sometimes, does that mean Ellen might eventually like being a guy sometimes?  Even if she doesn't make a permanent switch, it would be interesting for her to give it a try temporarily.

27 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
42 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And even if she doesn't (her guardian form knowledge may disappear when the form does), Elliot and Nanase and Greg could work out the basics through trial and error together.

She doesn't have the guardian form advanced combat instincts and ability to fly in formation when not in that form, but she's still have lot of experience both in normal flying and in flying with fairy. (Although she technically lost both of those fights ...)

31 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

If it really did turn out Ellen wanted to be male again, I suspect Elliot would feel so guilty he would happily make that sacrifice.  Plus, he really does like being female some of the time, and might welcome another excuse.  He could always take time-to-be-a-dude breaks.

That is possible. However, if they would hate being female as much as Magus thinks, would that be fair to him?

... of course, we know Elliot might really jump at that excuse AND that Ellen doesn't mind being female, so ...

33 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, if Elliot likes being male sometimes and female sometimes, does that mean Ellen might eventually like being a guy sometimes?  Even if she doesn't make a permanent switch, it would be interesting for her to give it a try temporarily.

I would expect she would like to try sometime, but really, it's not like she doesn't have such option. She might not want to try because she's afraid she would like it too much :)

(There is still the question about how do they solve the issue with Nanase's children ...)

8 hours ago, animalia said:

If there is an evil Elliot out there in the multiverse, odds are it would take the combined efforts of all the good Elliot's to beat him.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If there is an evil Elliot out there in the multiverse, odds are it would take the combined efforts of all the good Elliot's to beat him.

"If"? Your multiverse must be very small.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

It sounded like people were assuming that all Elliots were born boy/girl scouts. Was just putting out the idea that if there's an Elliot that's the complete opposite, then it must be an "Elliot of Pure Evil".

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It sounded like people were assuming that all Elliots were born boy/girl scouts. Was just putting out the idea that if there's an Elliot that's the complete opposite, then it must be an "Elliot of Pure Evil".

He's probably from that universe where young boys/girls are not becoming scouts but Hitlerjugend because the Third Reich won the war.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

He's probably from that universe where young boys/girls are not becoming scouts but Hitlerjugend because the Third Reich won the war.

The girls would have joined the Bund Deutscher Mädel. And who says there's only one Nazi universe? GURPS had six official ones the last time I checked.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

The girls would have joined the Bund Deutscher Mädel. And who says there's only one Nazi universe? GURPS had six official ones the last time I checked.

Right. Didn't wanted to imply there's only one. The number is likely infinite. With infinite evil Elliots, despite not every Nazi universe having evil Elliot.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She doesn't have the guardian form advanced combat instincts and ability to fly in formation when not in that form, but she's still have lot of experience both in normal flying and in flying with fairy. (Although she technically lost both of those fights ...)

That's what I was getting at -- Nanase isn't exactly a well-trained expert in flying fisticuffs either.  She and Elliot would need to either find an airborne combat expert to train them, or work things out by trial and error, probably with Greg's help.  Hmm, maybe he'd have the same sort of insight he had when he invented ASMA in the first place?

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That's what I was getting at -- Nanase isn't exactly a well-trained expert in flying fisticuffs either.  She and Elliot would need to either find an airborne combat expert to train them, or work things out by trial and error, probably with Greg's help.  Hmm, maybe he'd have the same sort of insight he had when he invented ASMA in the first place?

Nanase probably didn't get any well-trained expert in airborne combat to train her, BUT she doesn't need to do the trial and error stuff because she ALREADY DID. Probably with Greg's help. And, given the number of people with levitation abilities, she might easily be in top ten - not because she's that good, but because there isn't that many people who would even start training that in EGS universe to start with. (Well ... at least on their half. Griffins fly differently, but there may be human flying mages on their half.)

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Griffins fly differently, but there may be human flying mages on their half.

As Melissa once pointed out, even a compact-car-sized dragon doesn't have wings big enough to fly without magic. Wings might give some kind of agility bonus, especially at speed.

As for Nanase's flying/fighting skills, she has had more practice than Elliot at wingless flight, and with her quadruple wings and built-in guardian form skills and powers, I wouldn't bet on Magus beating her in an aerial contest. 

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
52 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Griffins fly differently, but there may be human flying mages on their half.

As Melissa once pointed out, even a compact-car-sized dragon doesn't have wings big enough to fly without magic. Wings might give some kind of agility bonus, especially at speed.

I wasn't saying they fly without magic. Just that they are using wings and would be suboptimal to teach someone without wings.

18 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

As for Nanase's flying/fighting skills, she has had more practice than Elliot at wingless flight, and with her quadruple wings and built-in guardian form skills and powers, I wouldn't bet on Magus beating her in an aerial contest. 

Agree, however it's possible he would be able to put her to sleep even in guardian form ... or use some offensive magic on her.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The girls would have joined the Bund Deutscher Mädel.

No they bollocking wouldn't. I don't see any version of Nanase or Susan tamely joining an organisation dedicated to turn them into good little obedient homemakers. At least, not planning to leave it intact.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'd say Nanase has more of the basics of fighting while flying though. She probably learned quick that she'd have to train after the first vampire fight, as you can see the sword wasn't very effective which would suggest that she underestimated her ability to use it, her quickness with summoning the hammer might have been lucky if the vampire didn't expect her to be able to do that. Nanase would have had plenty of time since awakening to practice combat maneuvers in flight as part of ASMA training, whereas Greg had closed the dojo when Elliot got the superhero spell and he wasn't eager to register for a new class. It's funny though since after Ellen was born, she wasn't eager to join Elliot in ASMA class, but ended up taking private classes with Greg to help Grace. I think it's been said before that the gang should probably all take private combat training to hone their skills, though considering magic being opened up now, Greg could probably restart the ASMA course (under a new name possibly) and get more students.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The girls would have joined the Bund Deutscher Mädel.

No they bollocking wouldn't. I don't see any version of Nanase or Susan tamely joining an organisation dedicated to turn them into good little obedient homemakers. At least, not planning to leave it intact.

Actually Nanase would be FORCED to join by her mother.

But anyway, the "girls" in that sentence were not supposed to speak about someone specific.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I'd say Nanase has more of the basics of fighting while flying though. She probably learned quick that she'd have to train after the first vampire fight, as you can see the sword wasn't very effective which would suggest that she underestimated her ability to use it, her quickness with summoning the hammer might have been lucky if the vampire didn't expect her to be able to do that.

I'm still surprised SUSAN didn't learned how to use sword properly.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Nanase would have had plenty of time since awakening to practice combat maneuvers in flight as part of ASMA training, whereas Greg had closed the dojo when Elliot got the superhero spell and he wasn't eager to register for a new class.

That new class wouldn't help, as it wouldn't cover ANY magic stuff, just ordinary martial arts.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

It's funny though since after Ellen was born, she wasn't eager to join Elliot in ASMA class, but ended up taking private classes with Greg to help Grace. I think it's been said before that the gang should probably all take private combat training to hone their skills

Definitely. But they might be too lazy for that again ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

though considering magic being opened up now, Greg could probably restart the ASMA course (under a new name possibly) and get more students.

Not yet.

While Will of magic gave up keeping the secrecy and adapted to magic eventually going public, DGB didn't gave up yet and would likely try to keep magic secret as long as possible even when they realize it wouldn't be that long.

But eventually, yes ; if DGB won't employ Greg itself to train new agents (because it WILL need more agents now), soon he will be able to open again because his at least little controlled approach would be better than no control at all.