• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Wednesday April 11, 2018

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Nanase would be great for this, although it would mean she would get even MORE hiding spells.

Hmm, a totalitarian state that was aware of magic would likely demand to see spellcasters' spellbooks.

Demand, yes. The fact she has magic would be one of many things she's hiding both from her family and from the state.

4 hours ago, Drasvin said:

One of Greg's biggest problems with getting students is he doesn't know why it worked for him, Elliot, Nanase, and Justin. It didn't work for any of his other students. Unless he can figure out why, he's going to struggle to keep students.

His biggest problem was bad marketing.

4 hours ago, Drasvin said:

My guess is that Susan expected her knowledge of how a sword basically works, the fact that aberrations are weak to magical weapons, and her experience with the stun hammers(In the scenes were she uses the sword in the mall, it seems like she's swinging it like she would swing a hammer) would be enough. Wouldn't be the first time Susan had an expectation that turned out to be untrue.

Yes. Good point that she apparently expected her hammer experience working better when translated to swords. Although I suspect there are several movies which totally suggest swinging with swords like with hammers ...

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

It's possible all of the other students weren't patient enough to stick through it, but I don't think that's the case. There were four examples of people that the training worked for in the dojo and anyone that understands anime (or real martial arts for that matter) would know that training takes time(In some anime, the main character can fast track the training, but not everyone gets to be the main character). Eric probably wasn't the only impatient student, but it would be a stretch if all his students were unwilling to stick it out.

It could be due to numerous variables that affect how quickly someone builds up enough energy to be able to use magic (with ASMA you don't need to go all the way to awakening and spells to get results, as seen with Justin and Elliot, who both had magical abilities through ASMA before they were awakened. And maybe even Greg who might be awakened but could just be dreaming with an abnormally large number of magical abilities due to his fighting style), but if that's the case, it's still a series of unknowns that could make it difficult for Greg to retain students if he decides to try reopening his dojo.

Based on what we know about magic, other students were DEFINITELY getting closer to awakening, BUT there was probably some additional problem causing them to move slower than Elliot or Justin (Nanase is clearly exception, her hereditary talent gave her enormous advantage).

36 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

With Magic becoming more common, I could see Greg becoming an instructor in an institute for people learning to control unusual abilities they might gain.

With the pressing need to raise people's magic resistance, teaching people who didn't get any abilities yet might be more important. I imagine his methods would be tested by giving him big class of policemen who will be ordered to attend ... which would be very hard test indeed. Of course, this will only be tried until they find some more reliable method.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

With Magic becoming more common, I could see Greg becoming an instructor in an institute for people learning to control unusual abilities they might gain.

Using magic wands and similar indirect magic use are well-established as building a person's magic ability already.  They could just give the cops wands that are set with harmless enchantments, and then letting them loose in a paintball or laser tag arena to cast them at each other.  :-)

34 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Using magic wands and similar indirect magic use are well-established as building a person's magic ability already.  They could just give the cops wands that are set with harmless enchantments, and then letting them loose in a paintball or laser tag arena to cast them at each other.  :-)

Developing magic this way might be a good idea.

But consider this.  Cops who train only with magic they know is perfectly safe, and only under carefully supervised conditions?

They could end up with spells that are perfectly safe.  Not the potentially deadly firepower that is sometimes needed in real law enforcement situations.

A sufficiently crazed or focused aggressor will not be slowed down by a cosmetic change.  And determination can overcome hypnotic suggestions to sleep.

8 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But consider this.  Cops who train only with magic they know is perfectly safe, and only under carefully supervised conditions?

They could end up with spells that are perfectly safe.  Not the potentially deadly firepower that is sometimes needed in real law enforcement situations.

A sufficiently crazed or focused aggressor will not be slowed down by a cosmetic change.  And determination can overcome hypnotic suggestions to sleep.

People gain spells tailored to who they are though, while cops who turn out to be wizards can learn specific spells, most other magic users would build their energy by using wands, but learn new spells based on their actions and personality, also the definition of "reasonable force" might have to be redefined to include what types of magic would be reasonable in certain situations or police brutality via magic might be a thing.

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

People gain spells tailored to who they are though, while cops who turn out to be wizards can learn specific spells, most other magic users would build their energy by using wands, but learn new spells based on their actions and personality, also the definition of "reasonable force" might have to be redefined to include what types of magic would be reasonable in certain situations or police brutality via magic might be a thing.

Note that the goal might be to just have cops trained enough to have magic resistance, so they wouldn't be vulnerable to magic using criminals ; that might happen sooner than awakening.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Moderator: We are getting very close to certain political hot buttons here. Please note that I would prefer these to remain untouched so I request that you be careful of this when discussing this topic.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It seems likely to me that once magic has come to be well known in the main EGS universe, police will be equipped with wands capable of casting "stun" spells (much like the stun setting on Phasers) that only those with the most powerful of magic resistance can withstand.  They probably won't need deadly spells - if deadly force really is needed, it's canon that guns work just as well on magic users as on everybody else...

Edited by ChronosCat

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It seems likely to me that once magic has come to be well known in the main EGS universe, police will be equipped with wands capable of casting "stun" spells (much like the stun setting on Phasers) that only those with the most powerful of magic resistance can withstand.  They probably won't need deadly spells - if deadly force really is needed, it's canon that guns work just as well on magic users as on everybody else...

Yes. Police doesn't need magic to use against criminals, it already has guns. It only needs to be protected against magic users, and high resistance is the basic there (some shield spells would also be useful). The stun wands are bonus, as they are probably safer than tasers.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

as they are probably safer than tasers.

Small aside. I just watched the pilot episode of Black Lightning. There was a scene where two cops decided Black Lightning was a bad guy and they both tased him repeatedly.

It developed that as brilliant plans went, shooting a superhero several times with a weapon that just made him stronger wasn't among the top ten on the list.

On 4/14/2018 at 0:27 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

They could end up with spells that are perfectly safe.

That's one reason I suggested a paintball/lasertag type setting, instead of just pairing off and enchanting each other repeatedly.  That would put them in situations where hiding, sneaking up on someone and catching them by surprise, detecting others who are hidden, knowing when someone else is sneaking up on them, etc. would be foremost in their minds, making it more likely they'd get spells that might be useful on the job.  That, and watching every episode of Flashpoint, would help shape recruits' expectations and talents to favor non-lethal yet effective takedowns, freeze and sleep spells, creating walls/force fields to block shots and prevent injury, observation without putting themselves at risk, and so on.

47 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

That's one reason I suggested a paintball/lasertag type setting, instead of just pairing off and enchanting each other repeatedly.  That would put them in situations where hiding, sneaking up on someone and catching them by surprise, detecting others who are hidden, knowing when someone else is sneaking up on them, etc. would be foremost in their minds, making it more likely they'd get spells that might be useful on the job.  That, and watching every episode of Flashpoint, would help shape recruits' expectations and talents to favor non-lethal yet effective takedowns, freeze and sleep spells, creating walls/force fields to block shots and prevent injury, observation without putting themselves at risk, and so on.

Somewhat more subtle than one Danish police commissioner's chosen method of flooding a huge area with tear gas and then using water cannon on anything still standing, I suppose.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:46 PM, ChronosCat said:

"Mirror" Universes can be fun, but they work best when the series is one with simplistic morality and not particularly deep world building; the more nuanced the characters and the more realistic the world building, the less sense it makes that everything could just be flipped morally like that.

I've never actually encountered a story where the Axis powers winning WWII led to the heroes becoming villains, and I'm glad of it, as that's pretty silly. Not everyone who lived in Nazi Germany (or Imperial Japan, or any other totalitarian state past or present) was (or is) evil, and if events went similarly enough to the main timeline for "alternate versions" of the main characters to exist at all, chances are their personalities wouldn't be all that different either. Of course there are circumstances in real life that can turn seemingly kind and morally upright people into monsters, and I wouldn't fault a story for using alternate universes to explore that, but to do that idea justice the story would have to treat the matter far too seriously to get any mileage out of the fun of seeing "bad guy" versions of "good guys".

I haven't kept up with the CW's Arrowverse so much recently (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Riverdale), but they recently had a crossover event called Crisis on Earth X, and Green Arrow and Supergirl's alternate versions were Nazi's in that storyline.  Not sure if anyone else was.  Interestingly, Captain Cold was Citizen Cold in that storyline and was a resistance fighter.

I think it has been done elsewhere, but can't remember now.  Not that it was that important to me.  ;)