• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
weirdee

Story Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018

...this is not good. Apparently all the 'useless' artifacts are coming alive in a cascade. Somehow I suspect that each new one will somehow cause yet another one to awaken like a really chaotic and terrifying row of dominoes falling. :doom:

15 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

...this is not good. Apparently all the 'useless' artifacts are coming alive in a cascade. Somehow I suspect that each new one will somehow cause yet another one to awaken like a really chaotic and terrifying row of dominoes falling. :doom:

How can we know the wand didn't activated some time ago and just waited for sensing peril - ok, I know, there was someone in peril all the time.

14 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!

If the wand use the same definition of "wizard" as we (or Edward), she isn't. She may have the talent but needs to awaken ... under CURRENT rules of magic. Which the wand doesn't use. So, hard to predict what will happen. Will she awaken anyway later?

Although I suspect we already missed the opportunity to turn Ashley to magical girl. At least classical magical girl. Because in such case, the wand would have heart on end and Ashley would be already transforming.

But in any case, SHE WILL GET MAGIC!

14 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

I'm sorry, I will be unable to focus on anything other than this for at least the next few hours.

I can multitask. Observe: Are those typos in the commentary deliberate?

... Ashley will get magic ...

... wait. Will she get 9E on wand which wants to help her? Or will the protector of library be asking in too scary way? Or will something else activate as well?

... also, will her magic be the kind which can get stuck if someone is transformed too long?

3 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!

I'm sorry, I will be unable to focus on anything other than this for at least the next few hours.

Most humans have the potential, it's not surprising that Ashley had the potential to be a magic user. A wizard? Maybe, though a weak one also makes sense considering Ashley's both never used magic and possibly her ancestry hasn't in at least a few generations either. She'd be like Sarah, and we know Sarah's got good potential it was just hard to detect.

In regards to the robot/golem thing, anyone else think that Uryuoms are connected? It's got that look to it. But then again, there's numerous ancient statues and such that don't resemble anything human and so some people speculate that they were carved in the likeness of extraterrestrial visitors. In one AU, Uryuoms helped fight in the american revolution, maybe Uryuoms had been visiting off and on for a thousand years or so?

"Où est la bibliothèque?" was one of the first phrases we learned in my high school French class.
I didn't realize that it is exactly what you are supposed to ask when waking up in a strange place.

As for the automaton?
Was anyone else reminded of the Silver Age version of the Batman villain Killer Moth?
(If you don't recall that version of Killer Moth, you didn't miss much.  His most noteworthy accomplishment was being Detective Comics' Bad Guy of the Month when Barbra Gordon began playing the part of Bat Girl.)

I thought, though, wizards didn't change, only their spells did?  The Emissary seemed to imply that - although language might have changed...

(And then there's the question of what else the wand could mean, since we've seen no indication Ashley has any sort of power.)

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Was anyone else reminded of the Silver Age version of the Batman villain Killer Moth?

Sorry, only moth bad guy I am currently aware of is Hawk Moth of Miraculous Ladybug (in)fame. Presumably he got so named because just translating 'Papillon' into 'Butterfly' would have sounded a wee bit non-intimidating.

Actually, considering the damage to the robot/golem, and the fact that it's confused about not being at the library, I don't think it'd be Heka's Library, because how would the FBI have gotten it. Still chances are it was damaged but a system changed caused it to go inert before it was completely destroyed.

1 hour ago, Illjwamh said:

ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!

Yeah, same here, I mean, ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!?

10 minutes ago, partner555 said:

ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!

Yeah, same here, I mean, ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!?

Seriously, wow.  Iron Golem automaton about to freak out and artifacts coming online in a cascade of terror, eh?  But Ashley a wizard.  Seriously, I am very stoked about that.  Really, I am not being sarcastic.  I mean, I know, the rest of that would be so very cool and edge of your seat, and of course we'll get an action scene with Elliot, Ellen and maybe Ellen, but Ashley is a wizard, with a Magic magic wand that talks and we get to see her learn spells by from other wizards and just... wow.  I should go to bed now.  Until Friday when new stuff posts.  No, not really, but what else are the days going to bring to top that revelation.

ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!

36 minutes ago, partner555 said:

ASHLEY IS A WIZARD!?

What's even more impressive to Sheldon is the wizard is a maiden, no less. The wand's name is Sheldon because his previous owner was obviously a performer working at the worst Catskills resorts back when there were still Catskills resorts. So getting out of that changing room at the mall on her first date with Elliot may have had hidden significance which is now revealed.

Definitely of significance is that having just seen the whatever coming out of the tall crate and maybe squinting at Ashley with its one remaining bug eye--or Uryuom or whatever--Ashley is completely ignoring that menacing whatever to facefault what Sheldon is telling her.

I wonder if we'll catch up with the EEEEEEEEEK! in the next comic.

Actually, something I've wondered even before now - Pandora implies Mamase is a wizard.  Wizardry is hereditary.  In the Emissary's exposition, Nanase seems to be used as an example of being born with hereditary magic.  When Helena and Demetrius's predecessors visit Susan and Nanase, only Susan is marked.  Assuming today's update isn't a red herring, now we know you can be a wizard without knowing.  Do we know definitively Nanase isn't?

2 hours ago, WR...S said:

I thought, though, wizards didn't change, only their spells did?  The Emissary seemed to imply that - although language might have changed...

People having hereditary talent before reset had the same talent after reset, but what exactly that talent allowed them to do did changed.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Still chances are it was damaged but a system changed caused it to go inert before it was completely destroyed.

Or some of that damage could've happened WHILE it was inert.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

but Ashley is a wizard, with a Magic magic wand that talks and we get to see her learn spells by from other wizards

Actually she should be able to learn spell from other magic users as well. Like, from Elliot. In fact, if the wand don't give her some spell, cheerleadra might be her best option ; she saw Elliot do it several times already, she might be able to cast it herself if she's wizard and the wand helps ...

56 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Definitely of significance is that having just seen the whatever coming out of the tall crate and maybe squinting at Ashley with its one remaining bug eye--or Uryuom or whatever--Ashley is completely ignoring that menacing whatever to facefault what Sheldon is telling her.

The library guardian might be scary but the wand is MUCH CLOSER. And speaks in language Ashley can understand (mostly). Actually wait ... didn't the wand updated it's English from 16th century (thou, cometh) to 21th (wow) when it linked to Ashley?

43 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Actually, something I've wondered even before now - Pandora implies Mamase is a wizard.  Wizardry is hereditary.  In the Emissary's exposition, Nanase seems to be used as an example of being born with hereditary magic.  When Helena and Demetrius's predecessors visit Susan and Nanase, only Susan is marked.  Assuming today's update isn't a red herring, now we know you can be a wizard without knowing.  Do we know definitively Nanase isn't?

Wizardry is hereditary reliably only when both parents are wizard. If Nanase's father is not wizard, she may not be one, despite still having hereditary magic talent. And she probably isn't, because if she would be, she would already learn some spell from someone else - it's not so hard, look how many spell TEDD learned. Nanase not being able to cast FV5 at this point suggest she's NOT wizard.

Also, there was no need to mark Nanase as she was already close to awakening. They only marked Susan because they were not able to awaken her.

47 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Do we know definitively Nanase isn't?

I hold that we don't know. The only wizards we know of officially who don't get spells on their own are Seers, who are very rare.

Since the wand's running on an old magic system, its definition of a "wizard" might be different than the current one. Ashley might qualify as a wizard according to old magic rules, not necessarily by current magic rules.

Hope Ashley remembers that bit about the security system going off if she takes that wand out of the building.

21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

didn't the wand updated it's English from 16th century (thou, cometh) to 21th (wow) when it linked to Ashley?

I already told everyone that Sheldon the wand was obviously working in the Catskills (AKA the Jewish Alps, AKA the Borscht Belt). Haven't you ever seen Dirty Dancing? That's the place and the era where the movie is set.  Sheldon the Wand might have actually been around in the Elizabethan Era, but he switched to at least 20th-century language without any magical special effects, so it's probably shtick with all the thous and thines and prithees.

I'll take Sheldon's word about Ashley being a real wizard, if a weak one.

As Sarah has already demonstrated, having (technically) some magical affinity doesn't necessarily mean having the power to use it without some sort of extra energy (such as the Moperville Clog). "Wizard too weak to actually use the spells they learn" may be a common situation.

Remember also, wizards learn other people's spells after they awaken, which means that there may be lots of wizards who don't know they're wizards because they haven't awakened (and probably some never awaken, and probably some aren't even aware of magic).

In addition to possibly talking about an older system's "wizard", it's possible that the wand is simply wrong (mistaken or lying), or that the wand is using the non-technical meaning (anyone who does magic), or there was a change in terminology that didn't correspond to a change in magic.

Wow. Just, wow. But as we know, the scream is still far away. Dilated much?

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

"Où est la bibliothèque?" was one of the first phrases we learned in my high school French class.

Ah, non, j'ai "enchanté" . Mais "¿Donde esta la biblioteca?" was one of the first phrases I learned from Troy Barnes. :demonicduck:

5 hours ago, weirdee said:

Wow, Michigan J. Frog got ugly.

*U G L Y

So... is the Vatican informed yet? The Imperial Omyouji? The PRC and ROC? The Masons, the Golden Dawn, the Salem Coven, the Templar Order, every Rosicrucian and Pythagorian? Because for all we know, every Shabti in Egypt is about to come to life, along with the Teracotta Army, and that's not counting the "pagan artifacts" in the Vatican Archives and the Holy Relics, the obsidian daggers of Teotihuacan, the bloodied altars of Peru, the temples of Greece and Rome, every totem on every reservation in America... we'll be lucky if there isn't a delayed reaction to the Ghost Dance or a thousand and one curses flying out of the Tomb of Tutankhamun.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Or some of that damage could've happened WHILE it was inert.

The only evidence I have to support my theory is Pandora's memoirs of the warmongering horde suddenly loosing the ability to shoot fireballs from their hands as they were about to attack a village. I can only guess that another system change happened when there was a significant magic related event taking place, such as an attack by a group of magic users on whatever library the robot was guarding, there might have been several robots like this but this one was the least destroyed when the system change finally hit.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I can only guess that another system change happened when there was a significant magic related event taking place, such as an attack by a group of magic users on whatever library the robot was guarding, there might have been several robots like this but this one was the least destroyed when the system change finally hit.

Who says it was guarding the library? Maybe this was what they used to retrieve overdue books.

If so, boy are there going to be some epic fines being handed out soon.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Who says it was guarding the library? Maybe this was what they used to retrieve overdue books.

If so, boy are there going to be some epic fines being handed out soon.

If that's the case, then the IRS will be quite interested in them for replacing repo men.