• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Friday April 20, 2018

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley being a wizard who doesn't know she's a wizard ties in nicely with her parents claiming they don't know which country they came from except it wasn't Japan. Obviously her parents are hiding the truth from Ashley, and it's not a stretch that they could be hiding their magic from her too.

We already have one parent hiding that they know magic from their child who wound up learning about magic another way (Mrs. Kistune and Nanase), another would be redundant from a meta perspective and a strange coincidence in-universe.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley being a wizard who doesn't know she's a wizard ties in nicely with her parents claiming they don't know which country they came from except it wasn't Japan. Obviously her parents are hiding the truth from Ashley, and it's not a stretch that they could be hiding their magic from her too.

Just because she doesn't know her heritage doesn't mean her parents are hiding something from her. There are lot's of families in the USA that aren't that concerned about family heritage, especially when that heritage is heavily mixed, as implied by Ashley in this comic. Even Elliot isn't certain where his family is from.

Also, even if both of Ashley's parents are wizards (which they don't need to be, both being wizards just guarantees that the child will be a wizard, but even a single parent being a wizard has a chance to pass on their wizard-ness), that doesn't mean they have magic either, as being a wizard and being Awakened are completely independent variables. Being a wizard is genetic (or at least something close to genetic) while being Awakened is a state of magical growth and capability. Given that a vast majority of the ~3000 seers(which does require both parents to be wizards) have never used magic, it's likely they've never even encountered magic and therefor their parents likely aren't Awakened either. So there's precedent for families of unAwakened wizards that might not even know magic exists.

13 hours ago, Drasvin said:
16 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

I've never seen the golem as threatening. Although when they captured it, it seems it took a few gunshots to get it to stop moving.

Given the fact it's speaking in a long dead language and didn't bust out of its crate until now, it's probably been inert since a previous system change, meaning the damage isn't from gunshots, but magical attacks.

Definitely.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And if Ashley is a wizard, she might even have been an awakened Seer by now if Pandora hadn't decided against giving her a mark.

Or her parents parents hiding something. Or their parents.

And about her being seer ... seers are supposed to be rarity even between wizards. Also what Douglas said.

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
11 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

I wonder why Ashley's first racoon was to toss a potential weapon of magic physically, instead of trying to use it. Has she seen Harry Potter?

"raccoon"?

To answer the question: she's not used to being able to cast spells at all, she has no idea what spells the wand has, she sees a need for immediate effect, she's panicking.

Also, if you saw Harry Potter, you should notice that using magic wand correctly is NOT that easy. Lot of wizards failed to make something levitate on first try because of incorrect pronunciation ... not something to try without instructions. Sure, it's apparently EASIER in EGS, but Ashley doesn't know.

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:
12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Just because she doesn't know her heritage doesn't mean her parents are hiding something from her. There are lot's of families in the USA that aren't that concerned about family heritage, especially when that heritage is heavily mixed, as implied by Ashley in this comic. Even Elliot isn't certain where his family is from.

The referenced text also implies Ashley herself didn't CARE where she has ancestors if it wasn't Japan.

Also, even if both of Ashley's parents are wizards (which they don't need to be, both being wizards just guarantees that the child will be a wizard, but even a single parent being a wizard has a chance to pass on their wizard-ness), that doesn't mean they have magic either, as being a wizard and being Awakened are completely independent variables. Being a wizard is genetic (or at least something close to genetic) while being Awakened is a state of magical growth and capability. Given that a vast majority of the ~3000 seers(which does require both parents to be wizards) have never used magic, it's likely they've never even encountered magic and therefor their parents likely aren't Awakened either. So there's precedent for families of unAwakened wizards that might not even know magic exists.

Where are you getting those numbers? I though it's supposed to be ~ 1000 ...

But, yes. It's EVIDENT that majority of people with magic talent is not awakened. The previous magic reset apparently worked REALLY WELL.

46 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

But, yes. It's EVIDENT that majority of people with magic talent is not awakened. The previous magic reset apparently worked REALLY WELL.

...I blame my memory. It rebels against me sometimes.

17 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

Well, we either have to believe he is so extremely bad at teaching wizards that he can be categorized as useless, or he was inactive until the magic changeover and really is from an older system of magic; his modern design could be part of his magic, appearing to the wizard in a form that seems appropriate to the wizard. 

If he's incompetent, I'll nickname him "Whandley".

And he could also be from another universe / "other side of reality", which might render him next to useless since his expertise would refer to a system of magics that's not related to the one in effect in the Moperville universe.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And if Ashley is a wizard, she might even have been an awakened Seer by now if Pandora hadn't decided against giving her a mark.

I'm still not quite convinced that Ashley is a wizard. Kevin / Whandley could be incompetent, use a different definition of "wizard", or simply be wrong. Maybe he spent his entire existence in some Hogwarts-like school for magic and just assumes that everyone around him is a wizard?

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, if we take the relative statistics of number of potential Seers vs. number of Awakened Seers as being representative of Wizards as a whole, then only one or two percent of potential Wizards ever Awaken, and probably 90-98% of potential Wizards didn't even know that Magic was real before Arthur's announcement on television last year.

1 hour ago, detrius said:

If he's incompetent, I'll nickname him "Whandley".

And he could also be from another universe / "other side of reality", which might render him next to useless since his expertise would refer to a system of magics that's not related to the one in effect in the Moperville universe.

I'm still not quite convinced that Ashley is a wizard. Kevin / Whandley could simply be incompetent, use a different definition of "wizard", or simply be wrong. Maybe he was in some Hogwarts-like school for magic and simply assumes that everyone around him is a wizard?

All right, now you've got me imagining Kevin speaking in Wheatley's voice. :D

...I blame my memory. It rebels against me sometimes.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I hear you. Memory is like a whatchamacallit.

The older you get, The more you forget
To remember what you should recall.
You fill up the blanks in your memory with things
That may not have happened at all.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, if we take the relative statistics of number of potential Seers vs. number of Awakened Seers as being representative of Wizards as a whole, then only one or two percent of potential Wizards ever Awaken, and probably 90-98% of potential Wizards didn't even know that Magic was real before Arthur's announcement on television last year.

And the same is probably true for other magical talents. Except the weapon summoning talent. Those tend to be awakened more often. Also dead more often.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And the same is probably true for other magical talents. Except the weapon summoning talent. Those tend to be awakened more often. Also dead more often.

I'm curious...I was about to ask what makes a Seer awakened, I had originally thought that Seers didn't need to awaken, but it might be obvious enough that they do since the WoM stated that one of the requirments for a Seer to be eligible for the meeting would be to have used magic. So my question would be when was the first time Tedd used magic?

Initial response probably would be when he first "saw" someone using magic, but given his family that would mean many chances throughout Tedd's childhood. But, the very first time might have been when Tedd first resisted the Magic Analysis Wand, thought it's also quite possible that Tedd "saw" the wand's effect at that moment as well but it was likely that moment that unlocked Tedd's Seer potential if he wasn't born already awakened.

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm curious...I was about to ask what makes a Seer awakened, I had originally thought that Seers didn't need to awaken, but it might be obvious enough that they do since the WoM stated that one of the requirments for a Seer to be eligible for the meeting would be to have used magic. So my question would be when was the first time Tedd used magic?

Initial response probably would be when he first "saw" someone using magic, but given his family that would mean many chances throughout Tedd's childhood. But, the very first time might have been when Tedd first resisted the Magic Analysis Wand, thought it's also quite possible that Tedd "saw" the wand's effect at that moment as well but it was likely that moment that unlocked Tedd's Seer potential if he wasn't born already awakened.

Personally I think that seers awaken when they use their magic analyzing talent on their magic analyzing talent, but I don't think we have canonical answer and it's true that Tedd was using all seer abilities, even the wand making, long before this ... which would suggest the awakening itself was offscreen.

17 minutes ago, ijuin said:
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He who lives by the summoned sword...

...Gets shot by he who lives by the summoned gun. :D

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2443

Actually, usually they are killed by vampires in more traditional way, probably eaten as well.

Actually, has anyone else thought about how Tedd will react when he first meets Kevin? As far as we know, Kevin & the damaged golem are the only sentient artefacts in the main EGs universe. Could one of the magical resets have stopped sentient items from working? Considering how unsubtle Kevin is being, that seems to be a reasonable guess.

1 hour ago, Southern Cross said:

Actually, has anyone else thought about how Tedd will react when he first meets Kevin? As far as we know, Kevin & the damaged golem are the only sentient artefacts in the main EGs universe. Could one of the magical resets have stopped sentient items from working? Considering how unsubtle Kevin is being, that seems to be a reasonable guess.

They are only two out of a large number of artifacts in that warehouse. I am not willing to discount the possibility that there may be others as well. I fully agree that sentient magical devices from an earlier system would very likely have been rendered dormant along with the systems themselves.

You miss my point. A talking item would be considered obvious magic up until fairly recently. Also if Ashley really is a "sleeping" wizard (to use EGS terminology) then Kevin is actually at least as useful than the current magic detection wand, and not as annoying.

In other words, it's possible that sentient items were a cause of one of the prior magic resets.

Just now, Southern Cross said:

In other words, it's possible that sentient items were a cause of one of the prior magic resets.

A Magic equivalent of SKYNET?

47 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

You miss my point. A talking item would be considered obvious magic up until fairly recently. Also if Ashley really is a "sleeping" wizard (to use EGS terminology) then Kevin is actually at least as useful than the current magic detection wand, and not as annoying.

Seriously? Seems more annoying to me, although possibly less scary.

48 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

That is possible. However, even that would suggest that sentient items are not EASY to build ... until some seer found how and build several of them.

On the other hand, in past, knowing ABOUT magic was not so close about knowing magic. Today, revealing existence of magic means that LOT of people starts trying to find out how to get it. In past, people would automatically assume that magic is just for mages. So, sentient items didn't necessary be that big problems. Now, sentient items designed to teach people magic?

Hmmm ... Kevin is talking in different language than the golem, but that doesn't necessary mean they are from different reset. They may just be from different areas.

Final note: Kevin is probably artificial, but the golem might be transformed person and/or mind of person transferred to golem.

57 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

Kevin is actually at least as useful than the current magic detection wand, and not as annoying.

As useful as the current Magic Detection Wand?  Perhaps.

However, I am guessing that Kevin may be incredibly annoying in his own way.

2 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

Kevin is actually at least as useful than the current magic detection wand, and not as annoying.

As useful for detecting wizards. No comment on other sorts of current and potential magic-users.

And perhaps not as instantly annoying, but I suspect he's even more annoying in the long run. The detection wand, after all, isn't self-activating.

15 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

As several people pointed out, his personality (and the fact that as far as we know he can't be turned off) could prove far more annoying in the long run than the magic detection wand.

Also, given his use of the term "apprentice" in the latest comic, he's specifically designed to seek out and teach one person at a time. He might not be willing or able to detect other wizards when not in "looking for a new apprentice" mode, or he might just give a quick "yeah that's a wizard" instead of the detailed info the detection wand gives. And as Don Edwards said, just because Kevin can detect whether someone is (or has the potential to be) a wizard doesn't mean he can detect other types of magic users.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

That is, of course, assuming that Kevin has any idea what he's talking about when he says Ashley is a wizard, or even a potential mage at all....

I would assume he does, however I think Elliot should totally recommend Ashley to get tested by Edward.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

And as Don Edwards said, just because Kevin can detect whether someone is (or has the potential to be) a wizard doesn't mean he can detect other types of magic users.

... or, in general, is able to generate whatever detailed description the magic detection wand is able to generate. We didn't SAW the details, but it was enough for Edward to say how often Elliot needs to change, and I suspect that required analysing his SPELL as well.