• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Story Monday 4-23-2018

Sooo, Kevin doesn't really think he can deal with angry Golem? Or was it suggesting he won't help her after she threw him? In that case he changed mind quickly. Also, maybe it really was useless even without being affected by reset.

The magpie meanwhile ... seems bigger than the real bird, but I still think it has some error in programming if it thinks it can "acquire" the golem.

And if it WAS created after moon landing, why it activated now? Did it not detected any valuable magic before? That MIGHT be true ... or did something else activated and started recharging artifacts which were not rendered inert by magic reset but simply went out of magic? Hmmm ... true, we probably are outside of moperville magical anomaly ...

5 minutes ago, Stature said:

After all this, I will bake that magpie.:demonicduck:

Magpie also looks derpy. And a bit big.

It also looks metal. The wings specifically shows no attempt to be from feathers. Good luck with that baking.

And, of course, it TALKS like computer.

Soooo ... does Arthur think that it will be better if professionals will handle the PTTAOLUTASF, or does he hope that the artifacts will fight each others so the place will be safer few hours later?

I am now really starting to suspect that a cascade of awakening magical artifacts is forthcoming. So far we haven't seen anything EEEEEEK-worthy, which indicates to me that either one really nasty thing will happen or that a lot of devices will come to life at the same time.

I feel like DGB are going to have to build their agents into an outright paramilitary to maintain order... and considering they already press-gang wizards...

34 minutes ago, WR...S said:

I feel like DGB are going to have to build their agents into an outright paramilitary to maintain order... and considering they already press-gang wizards...

I hope that doesn't undermine democracy around the world.

I'm wondering how Dan knows about magpies. I can't remember seeing one outside of Idaho. A mechanical magpie sounds to me something that, say, a  pulp magazine version of Philo Farnsworth would dream up. Maybe the Moperverse version of the Mormon Tesla did make the featured player in today's comic.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm wondering how Dan knows about magpies. I can't remember seeing one outside of Idaho.

Referring to a crowded collection of odds and ends as "a magpie's nest" is quite common.  Magpies are probably better-known as a metaphor than as an actual bird; I knew of magpies for many, many years, but only saw one in person at the San Diego Zoo relatively recently.  (Quite the talker and mimic, too!)

Just now, hkmaly said:

Soooo ... does Arthur think that it will be better if professionals will handle the PTTAOLUTASF, or does he hope that the artifacts will fight each others so the place will be safer few hours later?

Well, so far the artifacts we've seen haven't been too dangerous, I mean it's quite possible the golem could be reasoned with, the wand doesn't seem murderous either, and the magpie is probably mostly annoying. Of course the golem might have reacted badly to getting hit in the head with Kevin, but it might also have seen Ashley as someone trying to protect Ellen (which technically she was) so the golem might consider Ashley's "attack" a case of misunderstanding and try to communicate with her. Getting attacked by the Magpie though....might produce different results.

Also, according to Dan's commentary, the Magpie was created during the most recent magic system, and within Arthur's lifetime (and the main 8's parents were likely babies/children as well). So it would have probably be classed as a useless object like the Diamond was, rather than an inert one. Thinking about it though, Kevin might be from the recent system as well, at least from the earlier period like when Abraham made the diamond. So for those artifacts, it might have been more the commotion that trigger their activation rather than old magic being accessible.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I am now really starting to suspect that a cascade of awakening magical artifacts is forthcoming. So far we haven't seen anything EEEEEEK-worthy, which indicates to me that either one really nasty thing will happen or that a lot of devices will come to life at the same time.

Ashley's probably going to find herself surrounded by artifacts that want her to be their master, the thought of so much power over magical objects was too much for her.

I like a straight-up magic wand for Ashley, especially one that seems to excel at exposition.  I look forward to seeing what it does - other than be offended that it isn't considered "powerful". 

45 minutes ago, Skip said:

I like a straight-up magic wand for Ashley, especially one that seems to excel at exposition.  I look forward to seeing what it does - other than be offended that it isn't considered "powerful". 

Now you have me wondering if one of the magical artifacts might be an Endless Barrel of Exposition.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sooo, Kevin doesn't really think he can deal with angry Golem? Or was it suggesting he won't help her after she threw him? In that case he changed mind quickly. Also, maybe it really was useless even without being affected by reset.

The magpie meanwhile ... seems bigger than the real bird, but I still think it has some error in programming if it thinks it can "acquire" the golem.

And if it WAS created after moon landing, why it activated now? Did it not detected any valuable magic before? That MIGHT be true ... or did something else activated and started recharging artifacts which were not rendered inert by magic reset but simply went out of magic? Hmmm ... true, we probably are outside of moperville magical anomaly ...

I think Kevin can only teach magic to wizards (and only wizards), he can't cast any magic himself, except perhaps in the process of teaching his apprentice (in which case either he doesn't have enough power to harm the Golem or he knows Ashely isn't ready to learn such spells and isn't willing or able to bend the rules on when he can use magic).

As for the magpie, first of all we don't know it's going after the Golem - it could be going after a fourth, as yet unseen magical artifact.

Secondly, while all these other artifacts activating around it might be what triggered it to act, it's also possible that it had been intentionally shut down and the magic released by the destruction of the Dewitchery Diamond turned it back on.

In fact, I suspect that all these artifacts activating now is only related to the Magic Change in the sense that there are more potentially functional artifacts in the facility now than there were earlier in the day; I think it is the energy from the destruction of the diamond that's actually turning everything on. (Which means the same thing would have happened on a smaller scale even if Magus had done his resurrection trick before the Change. Pandora probably knew about this and didn't tell him, hoping to watch the fireworks; she'll be disappointed she missed it.)

1 minute ago, ChronosCat said:

In fact, I suspect that all these artifacts activating now is only related to the Magic Change in the sense that there are more potentially functional artifacts in the facility now than there were earlier in the day; I think it is the energy from the destruction of the diamond that's actually turning everything on.

You know, I think you are absolutely correct. That makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, showler said:

I wonder if it was meant to be spelled "Magi-pie" or if the wand is making a weird joke?

I'm thinking that Dan has either forgotten that "Magi" Is pronounced "Mage-eye" or meant to write "Maggie-pie".

Now we know that Kevin's full name is Kevin the Cowardly Wand. He should sound like the late Bert Lahr.

When danger reared its ugly head
He simply shat himself and fled

--Spamalot version of Brave Sir Robin.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Now you have me wondering if one of the magical artifacts might be an Endless Barrel of Exposition.

Possibly the Endless Barrel of Exposition is disguised as a wand, and has been dubbed "Kevin".

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
6 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

In fact, I suspect that all these artifacts activating now is only related to the Magic Change in the sense that there are more potentially functional artifacts in the facility now than there were earlier in the day; I think it is the energy from the destruction of the diamond that's actually turning everything on.

You know, I think you are absolutely correct. That makes a lot of sense.

Actually, that could very well be possible too, I had thought that the diamond's destruction would have released an "eeeeeeeek!"worthy monster, but having the energy released from it activate dormant artifacts, even ones made in the recent system makes sense too.

2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Possibly the Endless Barrel of Exposition is disguised as a wand, and has been dubbed "Kevin".

Kevin the Cowardly Wand has so far been more of a Barrel of Schtick and a Brown Trowser Job.

With Dan's commentary, it would seem that Kevin is a more recent creation, rather than an inert artifact from a previous system. He not only knows modern English, but also gets Elizabethan English significantly wrong AND thinks the 'Ye Olde English' sounds sophisticated and 'mystical.'

As for why Kevin, a wizard training device, would be considered useless (considering that even simple and benign wands can be used to awaken magic), he seems rather obnoxious and temperamental. The DGB probably just figured no one would be able to put up with Kevin long enough to get any use out of him.

If the wand is so smart, why hasn't it noticed the more powerful "wizard" lying unconscious not far away from Ashley? (Or the two fighting outside? for that matter.)

I still think the golem is misunderstood.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Kevin the Cowardly Wand has so far been more of a Barrel of Schtick and a Brown Trowser Job.

I'll stick to calling him 'Whandley'.

1 hour ago, jmucchiello said:

If the wand is so smart, why hasn't it noticed the more powerful "wizard" lying unconscious not far away from Ashley? (Or the two fighting outside? for that matter.)

I still think the golem is misunderstood.

Kevin may be using the term "wizard" correctly (for the EGS world's terminology, i.e., someone who can learn other people's spells); Ellen may be a magic user but as far as we know she's not a wizard.

As for the Golem, I doubt it means any harm. When it first burst out of its crate I assumed it would have a hair-trigger temper leading to Ashely's eek, but considering that it didn't react to having a wand thrown in it's face, I now suspect something else will be causing the eek.

I know the answer is "Magic".

However...

For the Magpie to knock the Golem off panel in one blow would suggest that the Bird is far more massive than appearance would suggest, or moving at bullet-like speed, or both.