• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Story Monday 4-23-2018

2 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

As for the Golem, I doubt it means any harm. When it first burst out of its crate I assumed it would have a hair-trigger temper leading to Ashely's eek, but considering that it didn't react to having a wand thrown in it's face, I now suspect something else will be causing the eek.

That sounds extremely logical to me. Of course, "logical" isn't always the best way of looking at things in EGS.

I'm thinking the EEEEEEEEEK! is probably going to be comical, along the lines of Edwards' cry of anguish when he realized he had agreed to fund pizza for eight teenagers. Ashley could have a phobia about mice, spiders (although those bangs would be ironic), or mimes, although the best place for mimes is, of course, a toxic waste dump. Or another crate falls open, and out fall hundreds of VHS cassettes labeled HOWARD THE DUCK, PART 2.

15 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

For the Magpie to knock the Golem off panel in one blow would suggest that the Bird is far more massive than appearance would suggest, or moving at bullet-like speed, or both.

My latest insight is that Magpie isn't attacking the golem but capturing it. It could be a magical artifact made for gathering magical artifacts.

12 hours ago, partner555 said:
13 hours ago, WR...S said:

I feel like DGB are going to have to build their agents into an outright paramilitary to maintain order... and considering they already press-gang wizards...

I hope that doesn't undermine democracy around the world.

Let's ask Lord Tedd how well it went in his world. :)

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

In fact, I suspect that all these artifacts activating now is only related to the Magic Change in the sense that there are more potentially functional artifacts in the facility now than there were earlier in the day; I think it is the energy from the destruction of the diamond that's actually turning everything on. (Which means the same thing would have happened on a smaller scale even if Magus had done his resurrection trick before the Change. Pandora probably knew about this and didn't tell him, hoping to watch the fireworks; she'll be disappointed she missed it.)

Hmmmm .... makes sense.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Actually, that could very well be possible too, I had thought that the diamond's destruction would have released an "eeeeeeeek!"worthy monster, but having the energy released from it activate dormant artifacts, even ones made in the recent system makes sense too.

It would explain why it was shown that something is escaping the pieces of diamond. Also, it's possible that the diamond used to be magical "battery" before last reset and therefore contains LOT of energy.

2 hours ago, Drasvin said:

As for why Kevin, a wizard training device, would be considered useless (considering that even simple and benign wands can be used to awaken magic), he seems rather obnoxious and temperamental. The DGB probably just figured no one would be able to put up with Kevin long enough to get any use out of him.

He IS useless as long as number of wizard needing training is so small they don't need devices to teach.

2 hours ago, jmucchiello said:

If the wand is so smart, why hasn't it noticed the more powerful "wizard" lying unconscious not far away from Ashley? (Or the two fighting outside? for that matter.)

Because she's unconscious. And not a wizard. And already awakened, so possibly not classified as possible pupil. (Magus IS wizard presumably.)

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

As for the Golem, I doubt it means any harm. When it first burst out of its crate I assumed it would have a hair-trigger temper leading to Ashely's eek, but considering that it didn't react to having a wand thrown in it's face, I now suspect something else will be causing the eek.

He MIGHT've started to react and be interrupted by the magpie. But in any case, he may have hair-trigger temper but is not evil or something.

44 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm thinking the EEEEEEEEEK! is probably going to be comical, along the lines of Edwards' cry of anguish when he realized he had agreed to fund pizza for eight teenagers. Ashley could have a phobia about mice, spiders (although those bangs would be ironic), or mimes, although the best place for mimes is, of course, a toxic waste dump. Or another crate falls open, and out fall hundreds of VHS cassettes labeled HOWARD THE DUCK, PART 2.

Might be that it will be number of artifacts as opposed to single artifacts making her go 9EK. Like, she will probably be surrounded.

That, or it will be some artifacts getting CLOSE. Some other than Kevin I mean.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Might be that it will be number of artifacts as opposed to single artifacts making her go 9EK. Like, she will probably be surrounded.

Maybe something like this?

This is for those of you who have never seen Barbarella, and those who have but but don't remember how hot Jane Fonda was in 1968.

4 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

or VHS copies of Reptilicus?

They only come in a two-pack along with the other cheesy Danish creature feature, Journey to the Seventh Planet. And why hasn't The Old Hack mentioned either one of those yet? Oh, that's right, it's a capital crime in Denmark. 

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

They only come in a two-pack along with the other cheesy Danish creature feature, Journey to the Seventh Planet. And why hasn't The Old Hack mentioned either one of those yet? Oh, that's right, it's a capital crime in Denmark. 

It is the only crime that is still punishable by being drawn and quartered. That is, after first being made to watch both aforesaid movies. By the time the execution itself rolls around, most offenders are begging for death.

The European Convention of Human Rights keeps squawking about it. But we all know what to say to that.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe something like this?

No. THOSE were definitely dangerous. I'm thinking Ashley being surrounded by artifacts which mostly wouldn't be dangerous but might look that way, especially if they are all around you and you don't know which one you should pay attention to. Also, half of them would be talking, but given they will be talking over each other it would be impossible to understand them even if they were speaking english.

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sooo, Kevin doesn't really think he can deal with angry Golem? Or was it suggesting he won't help her after she threw him? In that case he changed mind quickly. Also, maybe it really was useless even without being affected by reset.

The magpie meanwhile ... seems bigger than the real bird, but I still think it has some error in programming if it thinks it can "acquire" the Golem.

I think it might be more that Kevin thought that Ashley must be "too dumb to live" and that thus she was about to get herself killed by having antagonized the golem. After all, she has yet to say anything intelligent to Kevin since he first addressed her.

As for the magpie, "Acquiring" might also mean "acquiring as a target" (i.e. locking onto it with targeting sensors).

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He IS useless as long as number of wizard needing training is so small they don't need devices to teach.

There is also the matter that official policy was to limit the number of active mages as much as possible, so a tool for aiding potential wizards in Awakening would have been counter to their goals.

14 minutes ago, ijuin said:

There is also the matter that official policy was to limit the number of active mages as much as possible, so a tool for aiding potential wizards in Awakening would have been counter to their goals.

If there were a lot of wands like Kevin, I think it would help limit the number of wizards.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 4/23/2018 at 9:44 AM, hkmaly said:

Sooo, Kevin doesn't really think he can deal with angry Golem? Or was it suggesting he won't help her after she threw him? In that case he changed mind quickly. Also, maybe it really was useless even without being affected by reset.

The magpie meanwhile ... seems bigger than the real bird, but I still think it has some error in programming if it thinks it can "acquire" the Golem.

I think it might be more that Kevin thought that Ashley must be "too dumb to live" and that thus she was about to get herself killed by having antagonized the golem. After all, she has yet to say anything intelligent to Kevin since he first addressed her.

Technically, yes, she didn't say anything intelligent ... she barely said anything ... because Kevin is talking nonstop without break so she CANT say anything without talking over him.

As for the magpie, "Acquiring" might also mean "acquiring as a target" (i.e. locking onto it with targeting sensors).

That won't change that trying to hit the golem as it obviously did afterwards is stupid move.

On 4/24/2018 at 0:25 AM, hkmaly said:

If left in open, obviously. However, DGB needs trained agents and it may be easier to hire someone with right non-magic skills, motivation and loyalty and awaken him than to hire someone awakened and try to motivate him, teach him other skills and make him loyal.

On the other hand, people who really fit working in DGB might really not fit teaching tool like Kevin.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If there were a lot of wands like Kevin, I think it would help limit the number of wizards.

... also good point :)

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That won't change that trying to hit the golem as it obviously did afterwards is stupid move.

Ashley threw Kevin at the golem while yelling "Get away from her!". Voltaire thought it was stupid for Ashley to try to save Elliot, but Ashley did save Elliot and she might have just saved Ellen because the golem was distracted long enough for Magpie to go to work.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley threw Kevin at the golem while yelling "Get away from her!". Voltaire thought it was stupid for Ashley to try to save Elliot, but Ashley did save Elliot and she might have just saved Ellen because the golem was distracted long enough for Magpie to go to work.

It's like throwing things at over powered magical things is her skill.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I meant that what the MAGPIE did was stupid. Ashley, well ... I think she's very lucky with her throwing things distraction skills.

Although personally I don't think the golem wanted to hurt Ellen.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Although personally I don't think the golem wanted to hurt Ellen.

And you could be right, but the golem is big and not exactly cuddly-looking. On the other hand, cuddly-looking does not guarantee harmlessness.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
9 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's like throwing things at over powered magical things is her skill.

Technically she kicked the soccer ball at the griffin, but yes.

Also, griffins are not things.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

griffins are not things.

What if the Griffins are Law Speakers in a Viking proto-parliament?

And while it can be considered rude to refer to intelligent life forms as "things", we are things.
At the least, our form is collection of things that together form a thing that we conventionally refer to as a person and not a thing.
But a pile of things is still a thing.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That isn't too bad. A griffin is part eagle and part lion, after all. The trouble arises when you try to pull the same trick with lion and unicorn. Before you get anywhere at all, they start fighting for the crown.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I though Andrea is too busy doing research.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And while it can be considered rude to refer to intelligent life forms as "things", we are things.
At the least, our form is collection of things that together form a thing that we conventionally refer to as a person and not a thing.
But a pile of things is still a thing.

I though the reason why it's rude to refer to intelligent life forms as "things" is because they are supposed to have soul. If you believe in that. Or, in terms you are used to, Ren, Ba, Ka, Sheut and Ib (G29, D28, F34, can't find the remaining two). If it's not soul, they at least have some emergent property not present in any parts they consist of.