• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story Monday October 24, 2016

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Looks like this should put to rest the idea of Sarah being able to use a person's abilities in her simulation.

Not completely, considering "original" Tedd having some problems analyzing the spell as well. But it seems heading in direction of her testing something which would make it even clearer.

Also, I've heard that with rhino instead of elephant. White rhino, to be specific. Which, surprisingly, exists. And wikipedia calls it white bear problem.

Aye, it remains to be see whether Sarah is incapable of simulating any abilities, or if there are merely limits based on her perception or personal stores of power. I too suspect that she can simulate someone in a transformed state, because the state is a material consequence of an ability.

I'm always excited to see an artist experiment with layout in the service of storytelling, since it is often subtle and overlooked.

If what Sarah is doing within the simulation is being reflected in her aura (e.g. Tedd can see something is happening every time she swaps bodies in her mindspace, even if he doesn't know what he's seeing), then it's no wonder that Tedd is confused.

I'm betting Sarah has completely forgotten about trying to make this use of the spell last about one minute from her perspective.  The two different panel borders works for telling which is which, but it ends up making it seem like both perspectives are going at the same speed....

Just now, hkmaly said:

Not completely, considering "original" Tedd having some problems analyzing the spell as well. But it seems heading in direction of her testing something which would make it even clearer.

My guess is Sarah's spell has more moving parts than Susan's fairies which makes sense considering it's a high end spell. Either that or Tedd is sorta seeing what she's doing in her simulation, not actually seeing visually, but seeing that there's switching of some sort. Like watching the console for a game telling you when stuff loads and unloads and such.

Now that I think about it, has anyone speculated that Tedd is Neo?

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also, I've heard that with rhino instead of elephant. White rhino, to be specific. Which, surprisingly, exists. And wikipedia calls it white bear problem.

White bears technically exist too. ;)

58 minutes ago, Scotty said:

There seems to be a button here, a shiny candy colored button I want to push.

Aside from that, I'm some what embarrassed that it took me 3 readings to understand that panels 4 and 6 were "real life" not part of Sarah's fast time.

Don't feel bad - I noticed that Grace wasn't matching up right away but instead of making the correct conclusion, just rolled Tedd's dialogue into Sarah's frantic confusion. It didn't make much sense, so I came here, and now I know. On the other hand, I didn't have time to give it 2 readings when I first saw it, so maybe I would have worked it out given another minute.

I'm still not sure how this spell is high energy. 

Near as we can see, it takes a snapshot of time in which you can move entities.

The snapshot might not necessarily be 100% accurate, but so far is good enough.

It seems high power from a tech logic, since it's simulating all objects in a room...

But magic seems more 'five league boots' half the time, which make conceptual sense to human minds but not feasibly a thing. Magic makes Escher stairs seem viable to build.

This spell feels like using the tfc 1 command in Skyrim, but then being able to move your character around and move other entities.

It doesn't feel like it should be powerfu-

What happens if she pokes a dragon while in this... Hangtime?

Hey, Sarah should have super-counting ability now. Use power, count objects... Let's say a pile of 50,000 ball bearings. Turn off power, see if count matches up. 

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

There seems to be a button here, a shiny candy colored button I want to push.

Wait, how can that push the button? I'm not speculating that Tedd is another EGS character. Just EGS' equivalent to Neo, like how Neo could see the code in the Matrix, Tedd can see how Magic works. Of course, Neo could also manipulate the code to some degree and Tedd's only implied to be able to figure out magic quickly should the system change. So not exactly the same.

I've said this before, but I can't help but marvel at how Dan gives each main character in the distinctive facial expressions and body language, so that even when they have the body of someone else, they're still recognizable as themselves. Sarah as Grace or Tedd in this comic still has the expressions and body language she usually has. Look also at when Nanase turns into Susan in this comic for another example. That is truly some impressive and subtle cartooning by Dan.

Also, Grace frozen in that screaming pose is just hilarious.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Just wondering...people who were confused, are you also people who don't read commentaries?

Depends on what time of day I read the comic.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wait, how can that push the button? I'm not speculating that Tedd is another EGS character. Just EGS' equivalent to Neo, like how Neo could see the code in the Matrix, Tedd can see how Magic works. Of course, Neo could also manipulate the code to some degree and Tedd's only implied to be able to figure out magic quickly should the system change. So not exactly the same.

If you had said "Neo like" or words to that effect, the shinny button would be much duller.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

If you had said "Neo like" or words to that effect, the shinny button would be much duller.

I figured that the fact I even mentioned Neo would be enough since your rant was about speculating that certain characters were other characters in the comic, and Neo isn't a character in the comic. While the Matrix movies do exist in EGS, there is a chance that a character would make the same reference to Tedd, either Tedd himself will, or Justin, maybe Ellen since she's been pretty good with movie references.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

White bears technically exist too. ;)

Well yes, but that's not so surprising. Unless you are penguin.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Neo needed to die to get his abilities.

3 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

I'm still not sure how this spell is high energy. 

Near as we can see, it takes a snapshot of time in which you can move entities.

The snapshot might not necessarily be 100% accurate, but so far is good enough.

It seems high power from a tech logic, since it's simulating all objects in a room...

But magic seems more 'five league boots' half the time, which make conceptual sense to human minds but not feasibly a thing. Magic makes Escher stairs seem viable to build.

This spell feels like using the tfc 1 command in Skyrim, but then being able to move your character around and move other entities.

It doesn't feel like it should be powerfu-

Scanning surroundings on subatomic level doesn't seem like using lot of energy? In fact, Sarah's spell might violate Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. Note that we have canonically confirmed that it's the snapshot which takes that huge amount of energy, moving inside it needs barely any energy.

What happens if she pokes a dragon while in this... Hangtime?

Well, either he switches bodies with them, or nothing.

Hey, Sarah should have super-counting ability now. Use power, count objects... Let's say a pile of 50,000 ball bearings. Turn off power, see if count matches up. 

It's faster than realtime, but not that much faster. Also, unless she's OCD, she would be bored before getting to first hundred.

26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Neo needed to die to get his abilities.

So The Matrix was what Highlander II should have been?  ;)

26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
4 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

It's faster than realtime, but not that much faster. Also, unless she's OCD, she would be bored before getting to first hundred.

Also, if it's a contest, there should be a note with the number written on it somewhere nearby (unless the person running it memorized the number), Sarah could just find the note.

Guys! I have realized that Sarah isn't seeing herself glowing when as Tedd, because the instant she started the spell, she wasn't glowing. I assume that when someone casts a spell, there is an almost immediate glow in Tedd-o-Vision. Because it isn't instant, and the spell captures the exact moment it is cast, Tedd(Sarah) wouldn't have been able to see it.

1 hour ago, TehEpicDuckeh said:

Guys! I have realized that Sarah isn't seeing herself glowing when as Tedd, because the instant she started the spell, she wasn't glowing. I assume that when someone casts a spell, there is an almost immediate glow in Tedd-o-Vision. Because it isn't instant, and the spell captures the exact moment it is cast, Tedd(Sarah) wouldn't have been able to see it.

57 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Either that, or Sarah just hasn't yet figured out how to focus her eyes just right.

Or. of course, her spell doesn't give her the magic of the person she jumped into.  Thinking about what her spell is, I'm fairly sure she can't.