• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday April 27, 2018

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

So....possible that the original purpose of the diamond was to seal certain  power? Ellen being created by the diamond's later purpose, as added by Abraham, still left her imprinted with that power? And of course it sees it as having affected other artifacts.

So...since the golem seems intent on exterminating anything with that power. I guess it's creation might have been to protect against whatever it was, I don't think it would have worried about normal magic energy, it was clearly worried about the source of the power that woke it up, enough that it was worried about it being used by humans. That could mean anything from non-humans trying to deprived humans of magic, or a specific type of power. Or humans built the golem as a measure to prevent magic from becoming too well known again. At this point, it's probably not possible to reason with it anymore. Cue the "EEEEEEEEEEK!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scotty said:
31 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Now I am worried.

So....possible that the original purpose of the diamond was to seal certain  power? Ellen being created by the diamond's later purpose, as added by Abraham, still left her imprinted with that power? And of course it sees it as having affected other artifacts.

Also, Ellen is quite close to the diamond. And the golem may not be AS good as he thinks in reading origins of power. And we don't know WHY the golem thinks humans shouldn't get that power ; he may be misguided.

But yes ; seems the original purpose of diamond is related to having LOT of power and being dangerous. Being prison for something, while not only explanation, seems more likely after this page.

And I'm definitely worried now. Seems the golem wouldn't be easy to convince to stop, especially with it not understanding modern language ... and the aura around it's hand suggests he's not limited to physical power.

So there will be fight and Ashley's reaction is suddenly more similar to Melissa's ...

(Also, Dan basically confirmed the magpie, being from current system, was only activated because the diamond powered it.)

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So...since the golem seems intent on exterminating anything with that power. I guess it's creation might have been to protect against whatever it was, I don't think it would have worried about normal magic energy, it was clearly worried about the source of the power that woke it up, enough that it was worried about it being used by humans. That could mean anything from non-humans trying to deprived humans of magic, or a specific type of power. Or humans built the golem as a measure to prevent magic from becoming too well known again.

... yes. All those are possible, although just ONE MIGHT making the golem's actions correct/justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So there will be fight and Ashley's reaction is suddenly more similar to Melissa's ...

I dunno, Ashley doesn't seem as calm as Melissa was, Melissa was actually kind of a badass when she attempted the Flight of Dragons bit after. you could see it in her eyes, that scream was only meant to get Noah's attention, not actual panic. Ashley's gonna be panicking.

 

So, on reddit, someone questioned about not being able to see what the golem saw in that open crate, to which Dan replied:

So maybe the wooden core of the diamond is still intact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Scotty said:
32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So there will be fight and Ashley's reaction is suddenly more similar to Melissa's ...

I dunno, Ashley doesn't seem as calm as Melissa was, Melissa was actually kind of a badass when she attempted the Flight of Dragons bit after. you could see it in her eyes, that scream was only meant to get Noah's attention, not actual panic. Ashley's gonna be panicking.

Which is why I said similar.

I agree she will likely be in panic and would be just lucky that screaming to attract superhero is the correct course of action.

However, I also think she wouldn't be screaming due to danger to HERSELF, but due to danger to Ellen. Who is again declared something in need to exterminating, again, similar experience as she already had, specifically with Abraham.

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
41 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So...since the golem seems intent on exterminating anything with that power. I guess it's creation might have been to protect against whatever it was, I don't think it would have worried about normal magic energy, it was clearly worried about the source of the power that woke it up, enough that it was worried about it being used by humans. That could mean anything from non-humans trying to deprived humans of magic, or a specific type of power. Or humans built the golem as a measure to prevent magic from becoming too well known again.

... yes. All those are possible, although just ONE MIGHT making the golem's actions correct/justified.

Wait. Open question: is it possible Ellen will be affected by the diamond original purpose due to her current exposure to his magic? As opposed to "just" being created by it's other purpose ...

Could she get new powers? Could it be bad for her and making necessary to find a cure for her? Both? Will she retain the powers after the cure?

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So, on reddit, someone questioned about not being able to see what the golem saw in that open crate, to which Dan replied:

So maybe the wooden core of the diamond is still intact?

If it wouldn't be intact, it would likely be hard to identify.

Also, maybe the core is not simple geometric shape? Maybe it's something more recognizable?

(Also, the golem didn't shown anything which would make me give it "them" treatment yet. Especially not on this page. But if Dan is doing it ...)

11 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
39 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He didn't look like a Dalek.

He married into the family.

Daleks are allowed to marry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

However, I also think she wouldn't be screaming due to danger to HERSELF, but due to danger to Ellen. Who is again declared something in need to exterminating, again, similar experience as she already had, specifically with Abraham.

It would certainly be fortunate if Abraham were to show up soon though if Elliot and Magus prove unable to stop the golem.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait. Open question: is it possible Ellen will be affected by the diamond original purpose due to her current exposure to his magic? As opposed to "just" being created by it's other purpose ...

Could she get new powers? Could it be bad for her and making necessary to find a cure for her?

I dunno, Abraham's enchantment of the diamond not working as intending (creating duplicates that can spread the curse) could be related to whatever the diamond's original purpose, or whatever the core's purpose, was. This is purely wild speculation here, but what are the chances of there being a power that humans once used that was completely unaffected by the WoM's system changes? The WoM mentioned storms of chaos magic happening if spell rules were too ideal. So what if there was a spell that was somehow created outside the given system of magic that harnessed chaos magic? That might be considered threatening enough for the need to have it sealed away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Daleks are allowed to marry?

Well, as far as I know, Daleks do not routinely undertake a vow of celibacy.

The fact they were genetically modified to not have any emotion except hate might be problem.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

However, I also think she wouldn't be screaming due to danger to HERSELF, but due to danger to Ellen. Who is again declared something in need to exterminating, again, similar experience as she already had, specifically with Abraham.

It would certainly be fortunate if Abraham were to show up soon though if Elliot and Magus prove unable to stop the golem.

... I would prefer someone more powerful than Abraham to help them. Although it would be good story-wise ...

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait. Open question: is it possible Ellen will be affected by the diamond original purpose due to her current exposure to his magic? As opposed to "just" being created by it's other purpose ...

Could she get new powers? Could it be bad for her and making necessary to find a cure for her?

I dunno, Abraham's enchantment of the diamond not working as intending (creating duplicates that can spread the curse) could be related to whatever the diamond's original purpose, or whatever the core's purpose, was. This is purely wild speculation here, but what are the chances of there being a power that humans once used that was completely unaffected by the WoM's system changes? The WoM mentioned storms of chaos magic happening if spell rules were too ideal. So what if there was a spell that was somehow created outside the given system of magic that harnessed chaos magic? That might be considered threatening enough for the need to have it sealed away.

The diamond DEFINITELY seemed to be affected (read: his original purpose not active) by magic reset, unless the creature inside was restricted physically by being inside the crystal.

I think Abraham's inexperience explains the diamond not working as indented enough ; it is however also possible there was additional power leaking which modified the behavior ...

I think that harnessing chaos magic is very hard, by definition. The wooden core just being there, as opposed to already casting random spells on the parking lot and on everything closer, also implies it's not THAT dangerous. And most importantly, we wouldn't be able to recognize what it is in few pages, making Dan's comment weird.

PS: What recognizable shape could wooden core have? Say, cup, fit for carpenter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The fact they were genetically modified to not have any emotion except hate might be problem.

Possibly, but not insoluble. It is entirely possible to have married couples that hate one another. You even see people united by a common hatred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that Dan commentary references Ashley's 9EK, but Ashley hasn't screamed yet. This isn't  screaming time yet?

Dan might be trolling us again. The Golem doesn't actually say whom or what it's charging up to exterminate; it might be the forbidden thingie in the crate, or a new thingie  or thingies possessing or trying to possess Ellen. Most of the whatevers bleeding out of the evaporating shards?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The fact they were genetically modified to not have any emotion except hate might be problem.

Possibly, but not insoluble. It is entirely possible to have married couples that hate one another.

They usually didn't hated one another when the marriage STARTED. Usually.

15 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

You even see people united by a common hatred.

True.

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Interesting that Dan commentary references Ashley's 9EK, but Ashley hasn't screamed yet. This isn't  screaming time yet?

It wouldn't fit in the page.

15 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan might be trolling us again. The Golem doesn't actually say whom or what it's charging up to exterminate; it might be the forbidden thingie in the crate, or a new thingie  or thingies possessing or trying to possess Ellen. Most of the whatevers bleeding out of the evaporating shards?

More likely, however, the golem will charging up to Ellen in next page and Ashley will do the 9EK. It's hard to build up suspense when we already know Ashley will make 9EK but how exactly it will happen needs to be shown. There is, of course, still question of what will Kevin do and what will Ashley do besides the 9EK ... will she try to protect Ellen with her body? Sounds very dangerously.

Note that Ashley can't UNDERSTAND the golem ; the golem needs to do something to make attacking Ellen obvious.

Note that if he would attack the thing in crate, it would likely be impossible for us to see it in few pages as Dan promised.

And the "whatevers" bleeding out is probably "just" magic which powers random artifacts around. Probably. It's true that the golem is concerned about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note that if he would attack the thing in crate, it would likely be impossible for us to see it in few pages as Dan promised.

Nothing like Ashley screaming in the first panel of Monday's comic with another CRUNCH or a ZAP or SFX DAN THINKS IS COOL, Magus and Elliot rushing in, and in the last panel, the golem is standing over the smoking remains of the crate. Nope.

 

 

Edited by Tom Sewell
Forgot Dalek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

They usually didn't hated one another when the marriage STARTED. Usually.

So maybe they are progressive. Marriage as an institution has been ever-changing for a long time now. :danshiftyeyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... I would prefer someone more powerful than Abraham to help them. Although it would be good story-wise ...

Well Elliot can only punch and kick, Magus might have some ranged spells, but maybe they won't be effective. The best they might be able to do is keep the golem's attention away from Ellen and Ashley until suddenly a sword or axe attack from behind lops the golems head off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you want to bet the golembot trying to destroy whatever it is, will end up activating a lot more artifacts?  Possibly by releasing its energy, the way the energy of the crystal shell was released by destroying it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

What do you want to bet the golembot trying to destroy whatever it is, will end up activating a lot more artifacts?  Possibly by releasing its energy, the way the energy of the crystal shell was released by destroying it....

You really want to see a smoking crater, don't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, some sort of power connected with Ellen woke the Golem and Magpie; this strengthens my theory that both of them, Keven, and likely some as-yet-unseen artifacts were all activated by the energy released by the evaporating Dewitchery Diamond shards. I wonder though, is it a special type of magic which is different from normal magic? Or is it regular magic and it's only the Golem that finds it strange - perhaps they were originally a non-magical robot, or perhaps they normally run on Uryuom Power (or some other alien magic-like power).

Upon looking at what was in Diamond's crate (presumably it's wooden core), the Golem seems to recognize what it sees. Could the core have dated back to the same era as the Golem?

At any rate, it sure looks like the Golem is going to be the cause of the Eeek after all.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

PS: What recognizable shape could wooden core have? Say, cup, fit for carpenter?

I expect it to be a wand, of the more traditional wooden type. It would fit well within the Diamond, and it would be obvious to readers that it's a magical object (so long as they don't mistake it for a random stick) without requiring familiarity with anything besides EGS (or Harry Potter).

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The fact they were genetically modified to not have any emotion except hate might be problem.

* Imagines a couple of Daleks singing "What is this Feeling?"*

"I LOATH YOU."

"I LOATH YOU TOO."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that harnessing chaos magic is very hard, by definition. The wooden core just being there, as opposed to already casting random spells on the parking lot and on everything closer, also implies it's not THAT dangerous. And most importantly, we wouldn't be able to recognize what it is in few pages, making Dan's comment weird.

The main reason I think the power is something different is because the golem didn't seem concerned about it until he found what the source of it was, so I don't think it would have felt the need to exterminate anything if it was just normal magic that it was detecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now