• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday April 27, 2018

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... I would prefer someone more powerful than Abraham to help them. Although it would be good story-wise ...

Well Elliot can only punch and kick, Magus might have some ranged spells, but maybe they won't be effective. The best they might be able to do is keep the golem's attention away from Ellen and Ashley until suddenly a sword or axe attack from behind lops the golems head off.

It's GOLEM. Normal sword or axe wouldn't help, and Abraham's weapons looked like having normal parameters. And Susan is busy.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

What do you want to bet the golembot trying to destroy whatever it is, will end up activating a lot more artifacts?  Possibly by releasing its energy, the way the energy of the crystal shell was released by destroying it....

You really want to see a smoking crater, don't you?

I wouldn't be against smoking crater either if not for the high risk of several main characters being painted on it.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

PS: What recognizable shape could wooden core have? Say, cup, fit for carpenter?

I expect it to be a wand, of the more traditional wooden type. It would fit well within the Diamond, and it would be obvious to readers that it's a magical object (so long as they don't mistake it for a random stick) without requiring familiarity with anything besides EGS (or Harry Potter).

But wand wouldn't be anything special. It would be magic, but not reason to be considered evil or something.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think that harnessing chaos magic is very hard, by definition. The wooden core just being there, as opposed to already casting random spells on the parking lot and on everything closer, also implies it's not THAT dangerous. And most importantly, we wouldn't be able to recognize what it is in few pages, making Dan's comment weird.

The main reason I think the power is something different is because the golem didn't seem concerned about it until he found what the source of it was, so I don't think it would have felt the need to exterminate anything if it was just normal magic that it was detecting.

Sure ; however, there can be third option besides normal magic and chaos magic. In fact, if it would be chaos magic the golem would likely be able to identify it without looking at source.

Another option is that it IS normal magic but due to what the source is the golem doesn't believe it.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But wand wouldn't be anything special. It would be magic, but not reason to be considered evil or something.

It could be a special wand, of great power and/or with one or more special spells in it. Of course that wouldn't be obvious on sight (at least not to the readers; the Golem appears to have magic detecting vision), but I can't think of anything that would fit with EGS that it could be that readers would suddenly know exactly what it was and what it meant when they saw it.

It's GOLEM. Normal sword or axe wouldn't help, and Abraham's weapons looked like having normal parameters. And Susan is busy.

We don't know what the golem is made of, it might still be possible for the the axe Abraham was going to use on Ellen to be heavy and sharp enough to cut the golem's head off, or just break the head with the impact.

Sure ; however, there can be third option besides normal magic and chaos magic. In fact, if it would be chaos magic the golem would likely be able to identify it without looking at source.

Another option is that it IS normal magic but due to what the source is the golem doesn't believe it.

It might not be able to completely distinguish chaos magic from normal magic after the fact (as in after it was already applied to Ellen or the artifacts in the building) but seeing the source made it clear what it was.

This was just wild speculation anyway, but even after thinking about it, what if someone had found a way to cheat the system and create a wand or something that would continue to work even if the system changed, if the WoM found out about it, or someone else deemed it forbidden, but destruction was impossible, encasing it in a near indestructible crystal would prevent others from abusing it. Of course it was likely never intended to be enchanted for other purposes and maybe it's use as the dewitchery diamond weakened it over the centuries, and Magus' final use was the last straw.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I can't think of anything that would fit with EGS that it could be that readers would suddenly know exactly what it was and what it meant when they saw it.

Hmm, now you've got me trying to think of magic items

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

We don't know what the golem is made of, it might still be possible for the the axe Abraham was going to use on Ellen to be heavy and sharp enough to cut the golem's head off, or just break the head with the impact.

I think the point was that a golem is animated by magic, not a living thing, so you can't necessarily kill it by cutting off its head.  Some versions of golems don't see with their eyes, so you wouldn't even blind it.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It could be a special wand, of great power and/or with one or more special spells in it. Of course that wouldn't be obvious on sight (at least not to the readers; the Golem appears to have magic detecting vision), but I can't think of anything that would fit with EGS that it could be that readers would suddenly know exactly what it was and what it meant when they saw it.

I can't think of anything either (the grail was just joke) but I hope Dan can surprise me.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not to mention that this Golem already seems to have been seriously damaged and is still moving.

Given the damage the golem already took, I don't think single hit of axe can cause serious wound, no matter the place.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think the point was that a golem is animated by magic, not a living thing, so you can't necessarily kill it by cutting off its head.  Some versions of golems don't see with their eyes, so you wouldn't even blind it.

Also this.

(I mean, it wasn't the point I was making but it's a good point regardless.)

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

This was just wild speculation anyway, but even after thinking about it, what if someone had found a way to cheat the system and create a wand or something that would continue to work even if the system changed, if the WoM found out about it, or someone else deemed it forbidden, but destruction was impossible, encasing it in a near indestructible crystal would prevent others from abusing it. Of course it was likely never intended to be enchanted for other purposes and maybe it's use as the dewitchery diamond weakened it over the centuries, and Magus' final use was the last straw.

Wild but interesting speculation. With a bonus of "any forbidding of it is no longer necessary due to ending the magic reset cycle and magic going public".

However, even wand capable of working over reset wouldn't necessary be chaos magic.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not to mention that this Golem already seems to have been seriously damaged and is still moving.

Lob off another body part, and it may well insist "Tis but a flesh wound".

Funny you should mention lobbing off another body part. As well as the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, there's another cinematic hook here, and one that's been referenced in canon: The arm Obi Wan Kenobi cut off in the Mos Eisley cantina that couldn't have belonged to either of the characters who were supposed to be confronting Luke. Anyway, Abraham's logical move is to chop off that glowing hand or its arm. And after that, he can say "What are you going to do? You can't even bleed on me, you're a golem."